Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

People who live in apartments/condos/whatever and don't have a yard for any kind of traditional compost pile. Yes, it's expensive, yes, there are other ways to compost indoors (bokashi, but this is a simple way to do it.

As for why they made the device at all, cutting back on food waste is trendy right now - why not capitalize on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How much power does that consume? Composting is meant to be an efficient and sustainable process. Powering up some energy-intensive machine to do it seems to achieve the opposite thing.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Yeah, it's a trash idea, and the real "advantage" is that it's a finished product and not a roll of the Kickstarter dice. It's not composting anything; it's just grinding it up and dumping an enormous amount of energy to dehydrate it. It makes a "soil amendment" that then rehydrates and composts there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cassius Belli posted:

Yeah, it's a trash idea, and the real "advantage" is that it's a finished product and not a roll of the Kickstarter dice. It's not composting anything; it's just grinding it up and dumping an enormous amount of energy to dehydrate it. It makes a "soil amendment" that then rehydrates and composts there.

love the part where you can buy FoodCycler® Foodilizer Tablets (2-pack) composting tablets from vitamix for $25, and then add those to the dried ground food waste so they can break down into the microfauna that would be in your actual compost, and turn it into something closer to real compost

literally monetizing every step

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

dishwasher problem mostly solved. there was a cronenbergian horror in the (not disassemblable) weird top sprayer thing that if I'm understanding correctly is primarily designed to piss into the soap receptacle. I had to bring the the sink sprayer over to blast it out, so the pressure washer advice was in a sense not wrong. gracias.

I deserve apologies from some doubtful losers worried about a lil high velocity h2o going down in the household but no worries. fukkk the haters.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sounds like a sink sprayer was enough pressure :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I have this utensil rack in the door of my dishwasher see

It’s only held in by gravity

Unfortunately when I have the door open and laying flat the utensil rack flops around. Is there a way to fasten this? Only thing that came to mind is zip ties

two part epoxy

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

parthenocarpy posted:

I deserve apologies from some doubtful losers worried about a lil high velocity h2o going down in the household but no worries. fukkk the haters.

lol

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I have this utensil rack in the door of my dishwasher see

It’s only held in by gravity

Unfortunately when I have the door open and laying flat the utensil rack flops around. Is there a way to fasten this? Only thing that came to mind is zip ties

The utensil rack can slot into the little arms at the front of the lower dish tray, or you can put it in the lower dish tray. I have the same dishwasher.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

This forum is the best $10 I ever spent

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Holy poo poo

I ran downstairs to make the conversion on mine, this is a game changer. gently caress yes

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I figured the arms were supposed to hold it, but never quite figured it out before.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Sounds like a sink sprayer was enough pressure :colbert:

Sounds like the part needed more water pressure than given during normal usage to dislodge the blockage, and an external device was necessary to accomplish this

Back off my at-home campaign for pressure washer usage

This aint play-doh

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

You figured this out too, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dietrich posted:

Yeah but I enjoyed having more space for dishes

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Coming back to the thread with an update on my propane flattop question. Transportation and storage concerns lead to me sizing down to a 22" Blackstone tabletop griddle with a lid. I used 2 nights to cook dinner for 40 on a float trip, and I'm in love. Fits a whole buffet pan for reheating, handles 12 frozen burger patties, and the rear grease catcher is perfect.

In conclusion, for my favorite camp cooking tool

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

BrianBoitano posted:

Holy poo poo

I ran downstairs to make the conversion on mine, this is a game changer. gently caress yes

Just did the same thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since people are discovering dishwasher features, it’s worth noting that the upper rack is normally height adjustable. Depending on the size of your plates that can make the top rack a lot more useful.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since people are discovering dishwasher features, it’s worth noting that the upper rack is normally height adjustable. Depending on the size of your plates that can make the top rack a lot more useful.

I spent a month in my new house hand-washing wine glasses before I discovered this.

I also discovered a small tray that pulls out of the very top that I haven't figured out a use for

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Not a Children posted:

I also discovered a small tray that pulls out of the very top that I haven't figured out a use for

We had this at our last rental and we used it for silicone spatulas, small glass bowls,
Tupperware lids, etc., since it was nice to be able to keep those items away from cutlery, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That small tray at the top is usually for utensils iirc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

VelociBacon posted:

That small tray at the top is usually for utensils iirc.

It can also be for silverware, especially if it has slots you can put them into. But yeah anything relatively flat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For cooking utensils rather than just regular silverware, usually. I would love one for spatulas, tongs, big knives, ladles, big spoons, etc.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

After many months of waiting due to pandemic supply chain problems, we finally replaced our busted several-decades-old piece of poo poo KitchenAid dishwasher (that came with the house) with a Bosch 500 and it has more adjustments on it than every other dishwasher I've ever owned combined.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Since people are discovering dishwasher features, it’s worth noting that the upper rack is normally height adjustable.

I just accidentally discovered this while vacating the aforementioned horror. my dinner plates are too big for anything but the top setting but it's handy to know

Anne Whateley posted:

For cooking utensils rather than just regular silverware, usually. I would love one for spatulas, tongs, big knives, ladles, big spoons, etc.

a friend of mine had a high-end... Bosch? something expensive that had a pretty big flat utensil rack at the very top

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Empty Sandwich posted:

a friend of mine had a high-end... Bosch? something expensive that had a pretty big flat utensil rack at the very top
Yeah, mine has a couple of the usual removable basket-type utensil holders, but the "third rack" is for silverware and utensils. Stock product photo showing one loaded:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We normally reserve our top rack for spatulas and tongs, but after a party, man, that extra silverware drawer is super useful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dietrich posted:

I should also mention I didn’t realize the doors on the utensil rack were meant to hold silverware. I thought it was meant to keep small items from flying out when sprayed from below

This is what happens when you get appliances without a manual

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
manuals are all online these days, no, the real bullshit is buying brand a new dishwasher, *and then using it as storage* because your parents are asian.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The real hack is to have two dishwashers so you have one that has only clean dishes and the other for dirty dishes

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

what the gently caress?! I've been hating the dishwasher that came with my house for years, I had absolutely no clue you could set it up like this... lmao

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

What did you guys think those blue arms were for?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Vegetable posted:

The real hack is to have two dishwashers so you have one that has only clean dishes and the other for dirty dishes

One fisher and paykel dishwasher is perfect for that.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Dietrich posted:

I honestly never really noticed them.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

captkirk posted:

I honestly never really noticed them.

same, just figured there were for yet some other feature that I had no clue about haha

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ogarza posted:

same, just figured there were for yet some other feature that I had no clue about haha

You were right!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dietrich posted:

I thought it was a bumper to keep a gap between the rack and the door like on my old dishwasher

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dietrich posted:

"When you close the door, they push the bottom rack into position" was my guess :shrug:

Efb

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I picked up the Cuisinart ICE-21p1 ice cream machine after falling in love with the gelato in Italy and it has been pretty awesome so far. I’ve been messing with custard recipes for gelato at home and it has produced amazing results, so much nicer tasting than anything bought from a store.

Today I made almond butter gelato and I can’t wait to dig in. It tends to come out a bit on the soft side fresh out of the machine, so I let it rest for a few hours, preferably overnight, in the freezer. Then it’s absolutely perfect.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChssqqYFgQ3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Planning a bbq for Labor Day weekend so I’ll be making two batches for my guests, though I do need recommendations for flavors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

I picked up the Cuisinart ICE-21p1 ice cream machine after falling in love with the gelato in Italy and it has been pretty awesome so far. I’ve been messing with custard recipes for gelato at home and it has produced amazing results, so much nicer tasting than anything bought from a store.

Today I made almond butter gelato and I can’t wait to dig in. It tends to come out a bit on the soft side fresh out of the machine, so I let it rest for a few hours, preferably overnight, in the freezer. Then it’s absolutely perfect.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChssqqYFgQ3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Planning a bbq for Labor Day weekend so I’ll be making two batches for my guests, though I do need recommendations for flavors!

I’ve been making black chocolate custard lately. You can get black cocoa from King Arthur’s website, I use a heaping tablespoon per pint. Err on the side of more sugar, it tends to need the extra sweetness since it’s so rich. It basically tastes like Oreo cookie, minus cream filling, in ice cream form. Best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had.