Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, I guess that 8? year old with a bowl cut is the strongest Naruto character now.

I decided to go back and check to see how much of a retcon this is for how Daemon's power works. The only really suspect one is when that random cyborg chopped his own head off. The other times you can more or less see where Daemon is touching or grabbing someone.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
gently caress, how’d this manga suddenly get so intriguing? I really like this power play that’s going on between everyone and it’s so fun seeing smarties like amado and shikamaru actually use their smarts to win fights. The biggest loser of all, Code, even has a legit motivation now, Kawaki just existing has completely ruined his life lol

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

gently caress, how’d this manga suddenly get so intriguing? I really like this power play that’s going on between everyone and it’s so fun seeing smarties like amado and shikamaru actually use their smarts to win fights. The biggest loser of all, Code, even has a legit motivation now, Kawaki just existing has completely ruined his life lol

Took the words right out of my mouth. This poo poo is good. If only the art style was good as well.

But what is Amado planning, I still assume he wants to take Kawaki's body. But why the Eida en Daemon and Konoha?
I also can't stop laughing at Code. Seriously, he loses so often it's great. While he was weak people kept outthinking him and now that he's strong he gets outmuscled and outthought.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hypocrisy posted:

Well, I guess that 8? year old with a bowl cut is the strongest Naruto character now.

I decided to go back and check to see how much of a retcon this is for how Daemon's power works. The only really suspect one is when that random cyborg chopped his own head off. The other times you can more or less see where Daemon is touching or grabbing someone.

Remember Jigan is not as strong as Isshiki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If nothing else, this chapter does gives some possibilities on how we go from present Kawaki to prologue Kawaki (at the moment my money’s on Code being involved)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Another good chapter, the writing's gotten back to what made Naruto good in the first place--strategy and tactics being as important as fighting ability.

Larryb posted:

If nothing else, this chapter does gives some possibilities on how we go from present Kawaki to prologue Kawaki (at the moment my money’s on Code being involved)

Yeah, it's coming together for that show down. One of the double-edged swords of recent plot developments is they've kind of dampened the wow factor of whatever could've caused such destruction to Konoha considering how dismissively powerful these newer characters are made to be. I'm enjoying the ride, but in the back of my mind it's still a salvaging effort for the boring direction the plot had been going for awhile. I hope it doesn't end up being as telegraphed as it appears and that maybe Kawaki has some agency in his prologue actions to keep him interesting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m guessing the prologue isn’t quite as black and white as it seems (for example, Kawaki appears to show signs of being possessed if I remember right). I doubt him and Boruto are the only ones in the village left alive at that point as well.

Boruto also looks a bit older in that scene so I assume we’re getting a timeskip at some point

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There was a stretch there where I was like 80% sure that the prologue was going to be a fakeout and like Boruto was going to actually turn out to be the one in the wrong.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The power curve is unnecessarily borked right now, to the point that literally 4 people seem to matter. Burrito, Kawaki, Eida/Daemon and Code.
I do wish some of the old cast would remain somewhat relevant.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...When was the last time Mitsuki or Sarada did anything in the manga? :psyduck:

Sage Misuki and Sharingan Sarada could probably contribute in some way, surely

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

...When was the last time Mitsuki or Sarada did anything in the manga? :psyduck:

Sage Misuki and Sharingan Sarada could probably contribute in some way, surely

That’s why I largely prefer the anime as it actually keeps the other characters relevant for the most part

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

The power curve is unnecessarily borked right now, to the point that literally 4 people seem to matter. Burrito, Kawaki, Eida/Daemon and Code.
I do wish some of the old cast would remain somewhat relevant.

Who else could even be hypothetically strong enough to fight Daemon and Code right now?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Thoren posted:

Who else could even be hypothetically strong enough to fight Daemon and Code right now?

Kawaki has an unknown level of power and also isn't dumb as bricks, which is a huge advantage. Though I think at this point this arc's more about outsmarting the villains than overpowering them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Thoren posted:

No one, that's the problem. No one is even close.

TheHan posted:

Kawaki has an unknown level of power and also isn't dumb as bricks, which is a huge advantage. Though I think at this point this arc's more about outsmarting the villains than overpowering them.

And this arc has been excellent ever since they focussed on smarts. :)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Loved how they build up Araumi as this BAMF with super-de-duper water powers and he goes out like an utter chump almost offscreen

At least Ikada's water dragon looked gorgeous

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vinylshadow posted:

Loved how they build up Araumi as this BAMF with super-de-duper water powers and he goes out like an utter chump almost offscreen

At least Ikada's water dragon looked gorgeous

Can only do so much being sneak attacked.

Still it feels a bit odd to have him just killed like that, Like I hope Ikada reacts to his death cause it would awkward for it to just be ignored. Also kind of making the message kind of messy where after you make peace one of your allies suddenly murders one of the holdouts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

August anime arc is Himawari and Kawaki focused

https://twitter.com/NARUTOtoBORUTO/status/1549318125434286080
https://twitter.com/NARUTOtoBORUTO/status/1549318375486226434

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems Himawari’s getting a new design as well, looks pretty good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the next manga chapter has been delayed until 8/19 for some reason

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Larryb posted:

Also the next manga chapter has been delayed until 8/19 for some reason

It's a bit of a bitter pill for a monthly series but I can't really complain about manga artists getting a break.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

It's a bit of a bitter pill for a monthly series but I can't really complain about manga artists getting a break.

Was there a particular behind the scenes reason why they skipped this month out of curiosity?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

No specific reason as far as I know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well we got a chapter this month at least:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-72/chapter/25080?action=read

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
A breather chapter but another banger, love the dynamic every team's got going on now, And Code making Code Zetsu outta that ten tails (who I totally forgot was just chilling in there) was a super clever use of old Naruto lore.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

"Worthless and upset...what a great combo."

drat Kawaki.

Amado looks full of regrets too. Good times.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zetsu with Code powers should be fun

Can't wait for person A to hit person B because their attack went through zetsu A's claw and came out zetsu B's claw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zetsu coming back was a nice little twist, looking forward to seeing where this goes (I’m guessing we’re gonna have a timeskip of some kind eventually given the whole Boruto Vs Kawaki intro that kicked the series off)

I also hope they pull the trigger on Himawari becoming a genin as well (she’s already started taking classes at the academy in the anime after all)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Surprised they went with Himawari asking about becoming a ninja. Since the anime started, the manga has usually hand waved big anime events as having already happened off screen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Surprised they went with Himawari asking about becoming a ninja. Since the anime started, the manga has usually hand waved big anime events as having already happened off screen.

Himawari was sporting her new look from the anime in this chapter as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 20, 2022

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Teek posted:

I'm really glad they're doing stuff like this, it feels like they're efficiently using space that the manga couldn't or didn't cover.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Boruto is definitely good right now. Even with Eida now with Konoha, she still has her power. Which apparently Amado gave her….and he himself doesn’t appear to be affected. He probably has an offdswitch for that as well, but never told her.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I hate how young Hinata is drawn. Something about it is uncanny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shneak posted:

I hate how young Hinata is drawn. Something about it is uncanny.

Yeah, Hinata has always looked weird in the Boruto manga. Not sure why since everyone else is more or less on model

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Boruto is definitely good right now. Even with Eida now with Konoha, she still has her power. Which apparently Amado gave her….and he himself doesn’t appear to be affected. He probably has an offdswitch for that as well, but never told her.

Eida is still a huge threat, since theoretically she could put the Co-Hokage and pretty much the entire village other than Boruto and Kawaki under her thrall without even trying. It's why Shikimaru was bugging out and made sure nobody other than the main duo got into the room during the faceoff.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The new chapter is up on MangaPlus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013788

It's fine but the way the author draws Sarada in the cover makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've also been enjoying the recent anime arc that seems to be approaching a climax now, mostly because Kawaki being awkward around kids is fun and I think this might be the most focus Himawari's gotten in the whole series thus far

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The new chapter is up on MangaPlus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013788

It's fine but the way the author draws Sarada in the cover makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Yyyeah, ever since Sarada got her wardrobe change there's been a few brow-raising images in official media

The anime avoids it by keeping Sarada in her original outfit and doing nothing with her for months (years, now?) at a time

Meanwhile, Manga!Konohamaru continues to be an eyesore, hooray!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Same. Looking at it makes me feel like she's going to come on to me somehow and it makes me deeply uncomfortable. :gonk: It's not even like she's drawn explicitly provocative, just something is incredibly off. Like the sum of the parts.

Let's...talk about something else.

Chapter itself was fine. A lot of talking and repeating information we already knew, yet still quite a lot of ground was covered.

I guess the Sharingan alone can still detect othutsutsikiko

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Not much of a chapter, but I guess it sets up the slice of life romantic comedy between Kawaki and Eida. Also, cover is a bit icky, and not that I'd be into it, but would've made more sense if it was Eida considering she's presumably going to try to get her flirt on.

Sarada deserves better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iamsosmrt posted:

Sarada deserves better.