Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Dark Souls card game was actually really fun. It did boss fights in a cool way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

NTRabbit posted:

I haven't had any problems with any of the Animal Adventures projects in the past
Yeah, I did the first Dungeons & Doggies campaign. The sculpts are stellar and iirc I even got mine a little earlier than was expected. That was pre-COVID, though.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Artonos posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/authocracystudios/paragons-age-of-champions

My brother is part of the team getting this game off the ground. It's a class based card game in a similar vein to hearthstone except it's y'know a complete game and not based off of loot boxes and getting more cards. It plays a little more similarly to Dominion though.

Thanks for even just checking it out! They're excited to see their game get off the ground.

Thanks to any goons who chipped in or even just clicked the link! They got funded a couple days ago even though it's a bit behind where they were aiming for.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If you're in need of "pulp era" miniatures (Call of Cthulhu/Pulp Cthulhu, Pulp Alley, etc), PulpFigures.com is running a Kickstarter deal for their upcoming "Arcane Academics" figures: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1066miniatures/arcane-academics/

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 5, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For anyone interested in how John Company: 2nd Edition turned out, Ricky Royal (who largely designed the solo rules for it) is doing a solo playthrough on an advanced production copy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UyaJ4tfEqzA31zf1OM62_VNmUCRxTQn

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

The Moon Monster posted:

The Dark Souls boardgame was honestly a great boardgame translation of being bad at Dark Souls.

This must surely mean it can be reverse-engineered with rules modification to be about being *good* at Dark Souls, yes? Hopefully?? I need to live this fantasy somehow D:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

sasha_d3ath posted:

This must surely mean it can be reverse-engineered with rules modification to be about being *good* at Dark Souls, yes? Hopefully?? I need to live this fantasy somehow D:

My point was that it's mainly about grinding dungeon stages repeatedly until you're strong enough for the boss, while actual Dark Souls gives you ample resources to clear everything with zero grinding. So I guess you could just give yourself whatever loadout you feel is appropriate for each level and ignore the exp/loot systems. You're cutting off a huge part of the meat of the game by doing that, though, so I'd suggest just playing some better dungeon crawler.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

StarkRavingMad posted:

For anyone interested in how John Company: 2nd Edition turned out, Ricky Royal (who largely designed the solo rules for it) is doing a solo playthrough on an advanced production copy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UyaJ4tfEqzA31zf1OM62_VNmUCRxTQn

I backed it, I got the metal coins too. Now I just have to find the players willing to play it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

My point was that it's mainly about grinding dungeon stages repeatedly until you're strong enough for the boss, while actual Dark Souls gives you ample resources to clear everything with zero grinding. So I guess you could just give yourself whatever loadout you feel is appropriate for each level and ignore the exp/loot systems. You're cutting off a huge part of the meat of the game by doing that, though, so I'd suggest just playing some better dungeon crawler.

To be the pure Dark Souls experience there has to be some way of winning without grinding a single level or wearing any equipment apart from a pot on your head.

Alehkhs posted:

If you're in need of "pulp era" miniatures (Call of Cthulhu/Pulp Cthulhu, Pulp Alley, etc), PulpFigures.com is running a Kickstarter deal for their upcoming "Arcane Academics" figures: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1066miniatures/arcane-academics/

Just buy some Copplestone or Foundry Figures?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Z the IVth posted:

To be the pure Dark Souls experience there has to be some way of winning without grinding a single level or wearing any equipment apart from a pot on your head.
git gud at rolling dice or drawing cards or whatever

i mean cheating

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

$354.32 for USA shipping for Cyberpunk board game including shipping & all items

I'm going to have to think on that one. I spent about the same on the Witcher old world and I liked cyberpunk but IDK if I liked it that much.

Same situation with the Dark Souls and Horizon Zero Dawn boardgames, looks like they have great minis, but I just really want the minis not the board games. (if anyone has those games and want to sell me just the minis for cheap :allears: )

I'm kind of half regretting having an interest in the mini hobby because jesus

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 10, 2022

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Got my Dungeon Masters Deck today and it's dope! Cards are nice and sturdy and I really like the extra themes on the bottom of each card.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/curiouscorres/doomensions-pop-up-mystery-manor

Doomensions is up.

If you've ever heard of the Mysterious Package Company, it's by them using their other name for the more interactive puzzle mystery stuff, Curious Correspondence.

Doomensions is a pop-up mansion with a bunch of puzzles in it. It's going for that "escape room in a box" genre you get with stuff like Exit, Unlock, PostCurious, iDVenture, etc etc etc. This isn't the first time this company has put out a puzzle mystery thing and they're generally pretty good at it, the pipe dream puzzle from their Adventure Zone McElroy Brothers collaboration notwithstanding.

quote:

The devious minds behind the Mysterious Package Company and Curious Correspondence invite you and your friends to step inside Mystery Manor. Transport yourself in an instant with our dynamic popup environment. No assembly necessary! Within its walls, an eight-room puzzle escape experience awaits to test your guile, wits, and ghost hunting prowess!

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
This looks cool. I like the 'regifting kit' part too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve just come across Utopia on Gamefound, which reads like Doctor Who (and specifically side canon enemies Faction Paradox) with the serial numbers filed off.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Utopia posted:

YOU ARE A TIME BARON
BUT ALSO... A MEGALOMANIAC

Yep, that scans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://youtu.be/TVHAmrIYFVY?t=160

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Official 15 minute unboxing of Hoplomachus: Victorium for anyone that got in on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfS-u6V9TU4

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Lo! Thy Dread Empire is in its last few days, it's a token based narrative wargame, where you spend Power Points to buy units, scout the battlefield, issue orders, and swing key moments in your favour.

Fight in the Skeleton Wars against the capitalistic death cults that blight the world.

It's got really cool art, a rad setting, and the system works well as a sub-system lifted into other games.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Victoria miniatures halfling snipers funded in 11 minutes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Antematter came in today. I'm impressed it got done at all tbh - and I'm looking forward to playing.

The box seems to be an area where some (undoubtedly necessary) compromises were made. The stock is real thin for the weight of the components. I'm very certain I'll tear it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeah, it's a good time for KS fulfillments all of a sudden. Carnival Zombie 2nd finally trotted up to my door after three years, Etherfields 2nd wave arrived the same day, and I'm awaiting Antematter next week also. Toss in Hexploreit 4 sometime in the next week or two besides and it's a great time to... still not be meeting people for games.

drat.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
The Witcher: Old World is getting to the end of the pledge manager and they’ve finally shown the design of the Big Box. It looks…alright I guess.

As someone who has pledged all-in but doesn’t have a huge amount of board game knowledge, is it worth going for the Big Box or the individual boxes instead? The benefits of the Big Box seem to be that it’s one box, saving total space and Kickstarter exclusivity. But not being able to compartmentalise the expansions is a negative in my eyes.

Is there anything I’m missing?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't really give a toot about that, to be honest. I figure if I'm not playing the game, it needs to fully be put away, because it wont be safe to lay around in my small rear end apartment with a gf and a cat or two.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

eskimaux posted:

The Witcher: Old World is getting to the end of the pledge manager and they’ve finally shown the design of the Big Box. It looks…alright I guess.

As someone who has pledged all-in but doesn’t have a huge amount of board game knowledge, is it worth going for the Big Box or the individual boxes instead? The benefits of the Big Box seem to be that it’s one box, saving total space and Kickstarter exclusivity. But not being able to compartmentalise the expansions is a negative in my eyes.

Is there anything I’m missing?

If you have the space on a shelf and aren't going to be collecting games then just get everything separately, it looks nicer!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't know where else to post this so here we go:

I've now had a total of 4 play sessions of Stars of Akarios (one solo to learn the game and because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get anyone else to play with me since we've got multiple Pathfinder campaigns going on ATM, then one game with two people, then two games with three players).

The game is very good. It's sooooooort of a Gloomhaven-light In Space, but the more I play, the less that feels true. It's still a tactical combat-focused long-form campaign game, but that's where the similarities end for the most part.

Combat is much quicker and more fluid since it's dice-based instead of a hand of cards. This means you have limited ability to plan multiple turns ahead (mostly it's just reserved for ending up in a decent position and facing for your next turn), which means turns are MUCH faster. There are also fewer enemies per scenario than Gloomhaven (the most there can possibly be at a time is 8 because there's only 8 enemy boards). The two combined means combat scenarios are about an hour or so long, where in Gloomhaven the same group would usually take 2.5-3.5 hours for a scenario (we're slow and chatty and usually drunk).

The other really big change from Gloomhaven is that there's actual exploration in this game, both in space and "away team" missions to various planets. These aren't super in-depth and have far fewer mechanics than space combat, but they're enough to provide an interesting change of pace between combat missions.

At first I thought character customization was pretty light, but as I play more, I learn I was wrong. It's just that your "character" is your pilot AND your ship all in one. Overall, you have 8 slots on your character board for upgrades (2 weapons, 2 engines, 2 tech, a slot for ship-specific upgrades, and a slot for pilot-specific upgrades, and there's also copilots who can replace some of those), and most upgrades can only be played on certain ships (each ship has 2-3 tags, and each upgrade has 0-2 tags which have to match one of the ship's tags). this means your ship choice matters, but it's not as defining as a Gloomhaven character class. Each ship and pilot also has a small set of cards unique to them, and most of these are extremely powerful (one, for example, lets you put a crit on top of an ally's deck twice per combat scenario). I find that in total this provides a pretty high level of customization while still giving some, "WHOA, you can do WHAT?" moments unique to each player.

If I had to give one criticism, it's that overall we've found the space fights pretty easy so far. Admittedly, we've been playing at Normal difficulty and could scale it up some, which mostly affects enemy Hull/Shield/Damage values. Status effects are cheap and plentiful in the game, and right now our entire 3-man squadron has ways to stun multiple enemy ships. Some enemies are immune stun (especially big, tough, dangerous capital ships), but there've been several scenarios that I cheesed by stunning 2-3 enemies several turns in a row. But, again, this is on the default difficulty, and it'd be easy enough to house-rule an MMO-like immunity window where you can't stun the same ship two turns in a row or something.

Anyway, we've been having a lot of fun playing through the campaign. After 3 sessions and maybe ... 12 hours? 15 hours? total gametime, we finished the Prologue and are, I'd guess based off the progression tracker, roughly 40% through the first act of three. If the other two acts are about the same length, I'd guess there's at least 50 total hours of gameplay in a single campaign. There's also a major route split in the first act, so if the other acts have similar, it's got a lot of replayability, too. I doubt we'll replay once we're finished because I'll have Frosthaven and Aeon Trespass Odyssey by then, but still.

EDIT: OH, oh oh! And I have to praise the poo poo out of the built-in organizer. It's amazing. It has a place for everything. The card tray is a little overpacked at the very start of the campaign, but once everyone has a few upgrades, everything fits perfectly. It doesn't have much tolerance for sleeves, though. If I expected to replay the campaign, that'd be a bigger issue, but for someone looking to play through once, I can deal with it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 20, 2022

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying Stars! I almost didn’t back it but caved in the pledge manager and I’m glad I did. It and Oathsworn have made me actually commit to painting miniatures, especially since the ships in SoA are cool and way less fiddly to learn on than the extremely detailed minis from Oathsworn.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm glad you shared about Stars of Akarios; I like the idea and look forward to trying it sometime.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve just come across Utopia on Gamefound, which reads like Doctor Who (and specifically side canon enemies Faction Paradox) with the serial numbers filed off.

Oops, forgot to back this. :smith:

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Anything interesting coming out of Zinequest this year? Or did the schedule shift gently caress everything up?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Anything interesting coming out of Zinequest this year? Or did the schedule shift gently caress everything up?

The schedule shift definitely hosed things up. A bunch of projects wound up running during the impromptu zine month instead. That said, I pretty much stick to indie RPGs these days but here's what I'd suggest looking at:

This Ship is a Tomb is a procedural 'derelict' crawl for Mothership 1E.

Galaxy of Death is a three-zine bundle of adventures for Mothership 1E.

Rampant is a delightfully lo-fi module for Mothership 1E.

Tales from the Void is an anthology of adventures for Liminal Horror.

Wretched Wasteland is a Wretched & Alone game in which you play a wasteland wanderer.

Fungiable is a satirical take on the horrors of cryptocurrency and techbro culture in Wretched & Alone.

Also, it's not active yet but Line of Enquiry is a system-agnostic zine on running murder mysteries from the host of the Mud & Blood/Toa Tabletop podcast.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you've got a 3D printer and want some fantastic historical terrain, Printable Scenery is running Country and King.

There's also a guide showing how these were painted, which is definitely worth checking out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/longtailgames/sunderwald-a-legacy-ttrpg-zinequest/description

Sunderwald is from Long Tail Games, the developer (developers?) of some other experimental titles like A Divorce of Druids, a game about 2 players playing druids going through an amicable divorce and trying to split up their land and property, as well as the compiler for Tiny Tome and Tiny Library, Tome being a collection of 1-Page pen & paper rpgs from a zine jam and Library being a collection of pen & paper rpgs or games or prompts where each one fits on a small playing card/business card.

Sunderwald's thing is that LTG are trying to adapt concepts from Legacy games into a pen & paper zine.

quote:

In the center of the kingdom of Realm, there exists a dark and unsettling forest.

It is known as the Sunderwald.

This is a game about how the woods change us, and how we change the woods. It features a complete, stand-alone game with character creation, enemies, advancement, and the whole deal.

It is also a legacy tabletop roleplaying game. During play, you will physically and permanently modify this book.

Never fear change. Scar. The. Book.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Glad to see Oathsworn is getting good reviews and isn't just a big pile of plastic since I only got the standee version.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Most of the people I know who usually do something for it are not doing this year, between the dumbass schedule change, kickstarter's crypto aspirations, and the cost of shipping doubling every couple months this year.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lord Yod posted:

The schedule shift definitely hosed things up. A bunch of projects wound up running during the impromptu zine month instead. That said, I pretty much stick to indie RPGs these days but here's what I'd suggest looking at:

This Ship is a Tomb is a procedural 'derelict' crawl for Mothership 1E.

Galaxy of Death is a three-zine bundle of adventures for Mothership 1E.

Rampant is a delightfully lo-fi module for Mothership 1E.

Tales from the Void is an anthology of adventures for Liminal Horror.

Wretched Wasteland is a Wretched & Alone game in which you play a wasteland wanderer.

Fungiable is a satirical take on the horrors of cryptocurrency and techbro culture in Wretched & Alone.

Also, it's not active yet but Line of Enquiry is a system-agnostic zine on running murder mysteries from the host of the Mud & Blood/Toa Tabletop podcast.

Thanks for sharing, I found This Ship Is A Tomb pretty interesting sounding.

E: really wish I hadn't missed out on Oathsworn. Sounds like very much my thing.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 22, 2022

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Oh wow didn't remember that it was almost 3 years ago when I backed it. Strange times.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Eyes Have It posted:

Thanks for sharing, I found This Ship Is A Tomb pretty interesting sounding.

E: really wish I hadn't missed out on Oathsworn. Sounds like very much my thing.

it sounds pretty interesting. do you have to have the mothership box to have all the rules?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I found a few neat Zinequest entires:

I backed Ceres: The City That Never Sleeps for a system called See You Space Cowboy, so I immediately had to remedy not owning that.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seeyouspacecowboy/ceres-the-planet-that-never-sleeps

Also found Sleepless: Beyond Sanity. I love the overall vibe of this one, but I also have Don't Rest Your Head as one of my dream RPGs to actually run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jbherer/sleepless-rpg-beyond-sanity

I'm considering backing Make Our Own Heaven, a pretty positive-seeming RPG about mutual aid and being a weird angel hybrid:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reizor/make-our-own-heaven-zine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

I skipped it because I had backed Aeon Trespass: Odyssey and I only need so many giant boss battlers. I still think ATO is slightly more my kind of game, but fulfillment has really been dragging. It was supposed to be coming around now but then the big China COVID clusterfuck pushed it back another 2 or 3 months. Not really anyone's fault but man I would like to get the dang game already.