Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I am really struggling to find anime that doesn't suck or is not gross on Netflix. Watching the insect cage of the cagister show after finishing spriggan and it sucks rear end in comparison!

is the disastrous life of saiki k still on netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Communist Thoughts posted:

3D CG is a pox on anime, there's never been a good looking one, no, not even that one.

Its a travesty what they've done to this august king of the genre, especially since broly was pretty much the first dragon ball with (segments of) great animation and it owned

What you’ve got to ask yourself is, “would this look better in 2D?” In the case of Land of the Lustrous, absolutely not

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reik posted:

This anime loving rules. Really really great show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

3DCG has come a long way in anime, and it''s getting close to the point where best practices disseminate through the industry enough that it'll get consistently OK.

Super Hero still seems like a significant step above most offerings, though. Certainly light-years ahead of, say, a Studio Polygon movie.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Reik posted:

Now that's a quality show

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1560702803525263362?s=20&t=LUsLOc5mLHe9iDzlr7VKJA

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

3d anime looks like poo poo and I hate it. it should stay in the background for extreme long shots and crowd scenes. I spit on this boring corner cutting drek and its definitely not just because it's race to the bottom dogshit coming for my job.

the only time I've seen it look good is in the character announcement animation for bridget in the new guilty gear.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I'm starting to see SAC 2045 in a whole new light while rewatching it from the beginning. The first time I saw the episode where the Tachikomas root around Purin's memories it didn't phase me much, but last night it had me bawlin. I think all of the problems with production detract massively from the narrative, which is extremely solid now that I know how to approach it critically. You can only appreciate this by being able to contextualize it with the other SAC seasons. Before I wouldn't have recommended it, but this really ought to be a must-watch for fans. You just have to learn to live with the problems because the story being told is worth it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm starting to see SAC 2045 in a whole new light while rewatching it from the beginning. The first time I saw the episode where the Tachikomas root around Purin's memories it didn't phase me much, but last night it had me bawlin. I think all of the problems with production detract massively from the narrative, which is extremely solid now that I know how to approach it critically. You can only appreciate this by being able to contextualize it with the other SAC seasons. Before I wouldn't have recommended it, but this really ought to be a must-watch for fans. You just have to learn to live with the problems because the story being told is worth it.

So you're telling me I have to rewatch the old SACs again? Well, if I have to.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah the worst case is you've rewatched SAC.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

okay but when are you gonna watch film of the year dragon ball super hero
my buddy asked me at brunch if i wanted to go see the "new Dragonball movie Super... Double Super?" movie and i tried in vain for like 4 seconds to pretend i didn't know the actual title.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im willing to watch it but i cant find it online subbed yet

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bitmap posted:

the only time I've seen it look good is in the character announcement animation for bridget in the new guilty gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46oJrQgRj7E&t=88s
wtf how is this so wholesome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
acab means even probotectors

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeah wasn't this a clever Easter egg in DXHR?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Is the Gundam crouching?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Is the Gundam crouching?

yes. they're boyfriends taking a photo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That Gundam looks like it's trying to explain to it's gun-parents that it's ok to date s cop

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

That Gundam looks like it's trying to explain to it's gun-parents that it's ok to date s cop

A tough conversation, considering that the first time we see the Gundam mk2 in action it’s intentionally about to step on a cop.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wrong it impotently tries to kill quattro bajeena with its vulcans in episode 1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Guess Who's Gunning to Dinner

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Db super hero rules, heck it's a better movie than broly even. Piccolo dad of the year

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

War and Pieces posted:

Is the Gundam crouching?

nah the patlabor is standing on another patlabor's shoulders

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i just noticed berserk is updating again…..and its back on the boat for a decade

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

i just noticed berserk is updating again…..and its back on the boat for a decade

:yeshaha:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm starting to suspect that SAC 2045 is bad at communicating its political ideas, because it has to dance around an endorsement of communism without getting explicit.

That just sounds like every vaguely political bit of pop culture made in the last 10 years as everything falls apart in the West

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I still remember the days when it felt like we were never getting off namek

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

That just sounds like every vaguely political bit of pop culture made in the last 10 years as everything falls apart in the West

Yeah, but the thesis is actually there. The most overriding theme I can identify is the autism of political radicalism, and the way that it makes things harder to advance a political agenda without any kind of dialogue. I can't go into too many details without spoiling why, but each post-human is attempting to fulfill the directive imbued in them (which involves overthrowing the existing state of capitalism) by pursuing their own personal ideologies. It's difficult to tell that's what's going on at first watch because none of the Post-Humans think they have anything to gain by trying to communicate with the authorities or the public, but it's that lack of communication that makes Section 9 try to take down the N-commune in Tokyo without knowing what Shimamura is actually trying to do. He's navigated the contradictions of "sustainable war" by aping its idealized state in 1984, but he's gone further than Ingsoc by founding a genuine cybernetic commune that actually makes peoples' lives better and liberates them from the world as it is, dominated by imperialist forever war. The FORM of N seems insidious and repulsive because it's aping conventions from the only political work he's ever read in his life as a teenager.

The underlying contradiction that's always underrunning the SAC series is that, as a post-cyberpunk story, the team is protecting society from the worst excesses of cyber crime. But protecting Japanese society in GitS world also means protecting the imperialist relationship that Japan has with the American Empire, and the way that Japan acts both as an intermediary of American power and an imperial power in its own right. The story in 2045 is directly confronting that contradiction by setting the team up against a force which could actually revolutionize the world's condition and make things better for everybody. It's more than just mashing up the themes of the GitS movies, it's actually making it contemporary by dealing with the "war on terror" and constant ongoing conflict in the world as a political economy.

It's really loving smart it's just a shame that this story was told with so many baffling production decisions and a change of medium to 3DCG that turned a ton of fans off. I mean, the first part is just plain ugly. It's clearly unfinished. I'd only ever recommend watching this to fans.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Aug 24, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, but the thesis is actually there. The most overriding theme I can identify is the autism of political radicalism, and the way that it makes things harder to advance a political agenda without any kind of dialogue. I can't go into too many details without spoiling why, but each post-human is attempting to fulfill the directive imbued in them (which involves overthrowing the existing state of capitalism) by pursuing their own personal ideologies. It's difficult to tell that's what's going on at first watch because none of the Post-Humans think they have anything to gain by trying to communicate with the authorities or the public, but it's that lack of communication that makes Section 9 try to take down the N-commune in Tokyo without knowing what Shimamura is actually trying to do. He's navigated the contradictions of "sustainable war" by aping its idealized state in 1984, but he's gone further than Ingsoc by founding a genuine cybernetic commune that actually makes peoples' lives better and liberates them from the world as it is, dominated by imperialist forever war. The FORM of N seems insidious and repulsive because it's aping conventions from the only political work he's ever read in his life as a teenager.

The underlying contradiction that's always underrunning the SAC series is that, as a post-cyberpunk story, the team is protecting society from the worst excesses of cyber crime. But protecting Japanese society in GitS world also means protecting the imperialist relationship that Japan has with the American Empire, and the way that Japan acts both as an intermediary of American power and an imperial power in its own right. The story in 2045 is directly confronting that contradiction by setting the team up against a force which could actually revolutionize the world's condition and make things better for everybody. It's more than just mashing up the themes of the GitS movies, it's actually making it contemporary by dealing with the "war on terror" and constant ongoing conflict in the world as a political economy.

It's really loving smart it's just a shame that this story was told with so many baffling production decisions and a change of medium to 3DCG that turned a ton of fans off. I mean, the first part is just plain ugly. It's clearly unfinished. I'd only ever recommend watching this to fans.

Well this certainly sounds like I need to do a full GitS SAC rewatch followed up by this

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Plus you get to watch them fight a naked guy with no bones for more than half an episode.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Netflix is making a Parasyte series

https://gizmodo.com/parasyte-netflix-live-action-yeon-sang-ho-train-to-busa-1849451070

I kind of want them to do with this the same thing that they did with the Resident Evil series. Just do their own thing that's only extremely tangentially related to the source material, with a complete genre shift.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I want them to run a hose from the tail pipe into the driver's side window.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Retromancer posted:

Netflix is making a Parasyte series

https://gizmodo.com/parasyte-netflix-live-action-yeon-sang-ho-train-to-busa-1849451070

I kind of want them to do with this the same thing that they did with the Resident Evil series. Just do their own thing that's only extremely tangentially related to the source material, with a complete genre shift.

iirc in the manga the parasites landed all over the world. So the show could be about what happens in Korea when the parasites show up. But I'm not sure why you'd want to change the genre

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gripweed posted:

iirc in the manga the parasites landed all over the world. So the show could be about what happens in Korea when the parasites show up. But I'm not sure why you'd want to change the genre

Parasyte rom com written by the Netflix AI they use to generate their scripts.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Gripweed posted:

Because even with a location shift another Parasyte property that's just more action with body horror elements would be less interesting than the weird RE show we got.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That reminds me I have tti flash rewatching that Resident Evil animated show

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I think it would be cool to do parasite in america and the protagonist is some guy who's just incredibly cool and strong. Like maybe a special ed teacher who moderates an internet subforum?

And everyone enjoys his posting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Unironically I'd enjoy it either way