Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How the hell can you people remember cd keys I couldn't even memorize the noclip code from doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The human mind is a wondrous thing, I can't recall all the people I've worked with in the last two decades but I remember every piece of software.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

flavor.flv posted:

How the hell can you people remember cd keys I couldn't even memorize the noclip code from doom

had some engineer buddies in college and they all had their own credit card numbers memorized for quick usage...At the time I thought it was a dumb trick, but now I understand some people just love to memorize long numbers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I still remember the numbers from my first debit card because we used to have to take turns ordering pizza and time spent fishing out my wallet was time missed getting really stoned and playing halo

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dr. Quarex posted:

What did Games Workshop do to Microsoft 22 years ago to deserve this

I always associated it with Bush, but that may be :thejoke:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

IDDQD IDKFA DNKROZ

I also remember my student ID number even though I haven't needed it for quite a few years.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Only code you need need is IDSPISPOPD.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

had some engineer buddies in college and they all had their own credit card numbers memorized for quick usage...At the time I thought it was a dumb trick, but now I understand some people just love to memorize long numbers.

I think this is why some nerds that grow out of the old cliché of being introvert become good bartenders, because being able to memorise a bunch of orders and prioritising them without much thought is a really valuable skill there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Computer viking posted:

I always associated it with Bush, but that may be :thejoke:
You know, I thought it predated his presidency but now that I see it did not maybe you are right

Also I am shocked to learn there are people who have never memorized their credit card numbers. Maybe this is why I am the only person at work who could keep up with having six passwords that each had to be changed every 60 days without writing them all down

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol if you don’t just have a work password system where you just increment something by 1 every time they make you change it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol if you don’t just have a work password system where you just increment something by 1 every time they make you change it
Oh I did that on the systems that were not like MUST CHANGE THREE CHARACTERS AND NOT END WITH A NUMBER OR SPECIAL CHARACTER and yes I know I could have just changed a three-digit number in the middle

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Are credit cards numbers longer in the US or something? It's 12 digits here which is basically the same as memorising a phone number.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought they were 16 digits universally, what kind of wacky cards do they have wherever you are?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought they were 16 digits universally, what kind of wacky cards do they have wherever you are?

Lol I can't count.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

You know, I thought it predated his presidency but now that I see it did not maybe you are right

Also I am shocked to learn there are people who have never memorized their credit card numbers. Maybe this is why I am the only person at work who could keep up with having six passwords that each had to be changed every 60 days without writing them all down

Most people don't have credit cards.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Debit cards, same difference

Unless the US don’t commonly use debit cards? How do you pay for poo poo? How do you get the cash you must have to use instead out without a debit card to put in the ATM?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most people don't have debit cards, either.

That's probably going to change in a few years, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Probably fair to assume that most people posting on SA have one or both, and with few exceptions live in countries where that's also true for most of the working age population.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most people don't have credit cards.

lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the era of "most people don't have *some sort of payment card*" is long gone, and we're now in the era of people who rarely use paper money. I could see maybe not having a credit card, but unless you get paid under the table, you have bank account and you have a debit card. Though why anyone would use a debit card these days is beyond me. I use mine like once a year to take money out of an ATM and that still terrifies me that there's going to be a skimmer on it and I'm hosed.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

Back then every Windows installation I did must have been with a slightly different version, I remember having to go to dodgy warez and serialz sites every time.

Serials 2000, strictly for building a database of your own software keys and definitely not for installing quarterly update packs of other serial numbers

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Unless the US don’t commonly use debit cards? How do you pay for poo poo? How do you get the cash you must have to use instead out without a debit card to put in the ATM?

People who have a banking account typically do have debit cards (as in, they're often issued one when opening an account), but (a) not everyone is "banked" and (b) many of those who are banked are still barely scraping by and don't have a whole lot on their accounts to actually cover many purchases without overdraft.

I'd guess that much of the country uses credit cards instead as a result, pays off what they can when the cc bill comes (probably the minimum) and... you can see how well that's been working out for us.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Most people in the US have debit cards of some kind, even if they are only reloadable debit cards which are generally a kind of gimped high-fee checking account. They have been pushed hard by employers so they can do direct deposit, and a lot of tax refunds/stimulus payments were sent out on reloadable debit cards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lots of people use reloadable cards for their kids as well since they’re safer than sending your kid out with a grip of cash when they need to spend money

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

And with how much ecommerce there is nowadays it strikes me as odd someone could imagine that the bulk of the US doesn't have a debit card of some kind.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And with how much ecommerce there is nowadays it strikes me as odd someone could imagine that the bulk of the US doesn't have a debit card of some kind.

The US is infamous for having backwards, out of date payment systems propped up by weird patches and shims. It’s really not unreasonable to ask when you’re still loving around with magnetic stripe and are on like your seventeenth person to person cash sending app this decade.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Most low income businesses have switched to pay cards, which are legit debit cards tied to real checking accounts, albeit with very high fees and penalties attached. Also, the US government requires a checking account for social security and disability payment these days.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Over here (Europe/Scandinavia) the default for decades has been that everyone has a debit card.
In ye olden days you used it to get cash to pay with, these days you just use the debit card (usually a Visa debit card, with contactless/chip of course).

In general it's not possible to overdraw an account with a debit card here, if you don't have enough in the account to cover a purchase (at the time of purchase) it's just rejected.
I have managed to overdraw on a debit card once or twice, it only really happens when using offline terminals like on airplanes. I don't recall there being any noticeable fines associated with that, but the amounts weren't crazy either.
They definitely still have a end-of-day balancing thing on the back end, but the running tally during the day is used for the overdraft check at time of purchase.

Credit cards (i.e. Mastercard's here) have gotten a lot more common here too the last decade or so, mainly due to banks pushing them.
Benefit I see is that you can usually do large reservations on them without needing the actual "cash" in the account, which e.g. hotels typically do to cover potential damages.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think i have never seen a debit card here (Europe-Italy) which allowed to do overdraw, only the credit cards. Also offline magstripes would not run and fail the transaction.
Since e-shopping exploded, credit cards have become far more common albeit in a different way from ye olde times, the old cards were mostly on a delayed payment basis with interest, most current ones are instant pay without.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I think i have never seen a debit card here (Europe-Italy) which allowed to do overdraw, only the credit cards. Also offline magstripes would not run and fail the transaction.
Since e-shopping exploded, credit cards have become far more common albeit in a different way from ye olde times, the old cards were mostly on a delayed payment basis with interest, most current ones are instant pay without.

In the olden days (2000s) the debit cards here in Finland could overdraw. So you could overdraw on the weekend if your salary came on monday.

These days I use a Visa Electron which has always checked the balance on purchase, but I think even normal debit cards check the balance these days too, because everything is connected anyway.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

One of the members of the Amiga group imported a CD TV from Italy. Pretty much complete, just missing the trackball

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Going through life paying for everything with Cash App or traveler's checkques

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm in the UK and my bank would let me over draw, with a hefty fine for doing so, on my Visa Debit.

Just the other week my bank swapped over to a Master Card debit card for some reason. Pretty annoying honestly, had to change my billing information everywhere.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Veotax posted:

I'm in the UK and my bank would let me over draw, with a hefty fine for doing so, on my Visa Debit.

Just the other week my bank swapped over to a Master Card debit card for some reason. Pretty annoying honestly, had to change my billing information everywhere.

Nowadays Mastercard is pretty much the norm for every bank in Italy, VISA or even AMEX is a novelty, kept only until the card is renewed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the US, it's a convenience fee that you pay to let them overdraw your account. And they conveniently process the largest overdraw first, so even if you had enough money for a bunch of small purchases and them you made a bigger one that overdrew, they make sure that you overdraw as soon as possible to get 200 dollars worth of fees out of you.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

You Am I posted:

One of the members of the Amiga group imported a CD TV from Italy. Pretty much complete, just missing the trackball

god that owns so much. Sure it was a disastrous, failed product but just look at it :swoon:

Cojawfee posted:

In the US, it's a convenience fee that you pay to let them overdraw your account. And they conveniently process the largest overdraw first, so even if you had enough money for a bunch of small purchases and them you made a bigger one that overdrew, they make sure that you overdraw as soon as possible to get 200 dollars worth of fees out of you.
Good lord. Over in the land of bad food and worse weather you can set up an 'agreed overdraft' which acts as an on-demand 20% apr credit facility on your bank account. It's charged pro-rated by the day so going over by a few hundo the week before payday costs a few bucks.

an actual frog has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Aug 23, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

an actual frog posted:

god that owns so much. Sure it was a disastrous, failed product but just look at it :swoon:

Good lord. Over in the land of bad food and worse weather you can set up an 'agreed overdraft' which acts as an on-demand 20% apr credit facility on your bank account. It's charged by the day so going over by a few hundo the week before payday costs a few bucks.

holy poo poo gently caress that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tech relics: an entire rear end SSD that is 8gb for some reason

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Win 7 was like 10gb installed clean what the gently caress were you even going to put on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Win 7 was like 10gb installed clean what the gently caress were you even going to put on that

Those disk sizes were for POS and other terminals with a barebone linux or dos. You usually purchase SATADOM in 8-16-32g sizes for those task nowadays.