Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Inviting KirbyKhan to a country music festival in Las Vegas while I head up to the 5th floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

That subreddit is so loving stupid lol

Am I an rear end in a top hat because of this story where someone treated me horribly?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Breadallelogram posted:

That subreddit is so loving stupid lol

Am I an rear end in a top hat because of this story where someone treated me horribly?

The other half are absolutely the rear end in a top hat but lack the introspection and self awareness not to be posting on Reddit to begin with

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I listened to the podcast streetfight did post-Brett being released from a mental health facility and he still sounds extremely manic lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

He went right back to podcasting after his manic episode? :psyduck:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Futanari Damacy posted:

The other half are absolutely the rear end in a top hat but lack the introspection and self awareness not to be posting on Reddit to begin with

so introspective you're convinced you do everything wrong and so incapable of introspection you're convinced you can do no wrong are basically the two fundamental types of humanity

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

StashAugustine posted:

so introspective you're convinced you do everything wrong and so incapable of introspection you're convinced you can do no wrong are basically the two fundamental types of humanity

The 2 genders

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He went right back to podcasting after his manic episode? :psyduck:

that's dedication to content, gotta respect it

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

I listened to the podcast streetfight did post-Brett being released from a mental health facility and he still sounds extremely manic lol

I’m paraphrasing but:

“I don’t specifically want to say I’m the messiah.”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just listening to the latest TrueAnon, and it was mostly good except that I think the whole "we need religion/spirituality to fight scientism" thing is dumb. The fact that some people do bad science and/or condemn others for being religious/spiritual doesn't mean that religion is correct and good.

Someone who goes around telling religious people that there's no god is obnoxious and antisocial, but the same applies to the opposite. And the opposite is historically (and presently) a much bigger problem. I feel like being more annoyed by anti-religion is - ironically - largely a product of being very online (since there are many places IRL where not being religious has significant consequences, while not being an atheist doesn't really have many consequences outside of people being annoying towards you on the internet).

Like the issue with social sciences isn't that they're trying to be sciences, but that they frequently try to be sciences very badly.

edit: I get that their point is something along the lines of "the modern internet/social media isolate people from each other and destroy communities" but that point works fine on its own!

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Aug 21, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Not reading any of the previous gay posts. Let us spend the next few pages talking about what TrueAnon's secret big project is going to be.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ytlaya posted:

I was just listening to the latest TrueAnon, and it was mostly good except that I think the whole "we need religion/spirituality to fight scientism" thing is dumb. The fact that some people do bad science and/or condemn others for being religious/spiritual doesn't mean that religion is correct and good.

Someone who goes around telling religious people that there's no god is obnoxious and antisocial, but the same applies to the opposite. And the opposite is historically (and presently) a much bigger problem. I feel like being more annoyed by anti-religion is - ironically - largely a product of being very online (since there are many places IRL where not being religious has significant consequences, while not being an atheist doesn't really have many consequences outside of people being annoying towards you on the internet).

Like the issue with social sciences isn't that they're trying to be sciences, but that they frequently try to be sciences very badly.

edit: I get that their point is something along the lines of "the modern internet/social media isolate people from each other and destroy communities" but that point works fine on its own!

the problem with the more empirically minded social sciences is that they use a method of subjugation on people. this means reducing human beings to facts and necessarily leads to some weird attitudes about how people are and how people should be. the german positivism debates (and the attendant norwegian one, actually) touch on this quite a lot, and though the anti-positivists have clearly stronger arguments the positivists are much more useful from the perspective of the agencies handing out grant money. it's more obvious that nudge theory can have specific benefits in e.g. improving traffic safety than that it's worthwhile to fund a manic german so he can write 60000 pages about the opinion-generating structures in bourgeois-liberal society, for instance

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Not reading any of the previous gay posts. Let us spend the next few pages talking about what TrueAnon's secret big project is going to be.

they're finally going to blow the lid off that whole epstein situation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Brace will reveal himself to be a Malthusian degrowth believer and also a member of the CIA.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

americans' insistent refusal to move past hume always baffles me a bit. it means that even genuinely intelligent people cannot countenance any alternative to the most deranged forms of scientism other than religion or outright mysticism, which is very silly imo

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the secret true anon project is a gourmande animated series aimed at the kindergarten set. a small but loud contingent of goons will insist it's for adults.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

YC and brace are getting married on a livestream

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gods not real and the only science we need subordinate ourselves to is the immortal science of marxism-leninism

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I don't remember the quote but I think that usually when people criticise scientism they are not criticising the scientific method, or even 'scientism' as defined in the dictionary, but an ideology that the only things worth knowing are those that are reducible and measurable. These attitudes are partly to thank for such things as climate change, forever chemicals, ultra processed foods, 2/3 of all americans being on some kind of prescription drug, universities cutting everything except "STEM" and business.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah describing them as stemlords kinda narrows down the definition enough to envision some criticism

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

yeah the ones where even when only reading their side of the story you can still tell they are an rear end in a top hat are the fun ones

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

i take a lot of the spirituality from matt christman, bruenig, etc not saying "we all need to pray to jesus and become catholic" but rather 'we' lack a communal foundation upon which to conduct and organize society since no one believes or loves their neighbor, it's every man for themselves and fygm, which is great because it facilitates consumption. capitalism is inherently an anti-spiritual system. religion (especially in the organized sense) != spiritual. religion under most western capitalism is a cult and not spiritual. it's not even just modern internet is isolating, it's capitalism is inherently isolating because it's better for profit to have it so.

like america was founded upon the worst genocide in human history, it's seeped into the very culture even if it's not overt. there's no real societal pride or love of each other, it's a nation of narcissism. one just needs to look at how americans drive in complete psychopathy and increasingly so.

in particular about scientism, it's really about the stand-in for technocratic and modern capital systems where 'facts and logic' are inherently used to rationalize capital subjugation.

when matt or bruenig talks about spirituality, they mean deep spirituality in the humanity sense of the word, that fellow humans are good and we live for improving the lives of the others and the others yet to come. that we need a community mindset and not an individualism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

gods not real and the only science we need subordinate ourselves to is the immortal science of marxism-leninism

also this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thinking about becoming one of those hinduvata type of fellows

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tantric masturbation pod

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

agreed

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thinking about becoming one of those hinduvata type of fellows

no. noooooooo

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cloks posted:

the secret true anon project is a gourmande animated series aimed at the kindergarten set. a small but loud contingent of goons will insist it's for adults.

He does have what it takes to succeed in voice acting

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
the the ladies on housewives fighting cause of botox and not because that's the entire point of the show thing is making me laugh really hard.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cloks posted:

the secret true anon project is a Coindexter animated series aimed at the kindergarten set. a small but loud contingent of goons will insist it's for adults.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

just wanted to say this is one of my favorite episodes of tv ever. I have no comment on anything else.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
he's making an animated show where coindexter is fiveish's nemesis

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lets all do targeted harassment to kirbykhans wife

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
if kirbykhans wife showed him her posts he should have to show his posts to her

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i need to see the wife post.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
am i the rear end in a top hat for loving all of my husbands much better looking friends on a dead gay forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

i take a lot of the spirituality from matt christman, bruenig, etc not saying "we all need to pray to jesus and become catholic" but rather 'we' lack a communal foundation upon which to conduct and organize society since no one believes or loves their neighbor, it's every man for themselves and fygm, which is great because it facilitates consumption. capitalism is inherently an anti-spiritual system. religion (especially in the organized sense) != spiritual. religion under most western capitalism is a cult and not spiritual. it's not even just modern internet is isolating, it's capitalism is inherently isolating because it's better for profit to have it so.

like america was founded upon the worst genocide in human history, it's seeped into the very culture even if it's not overt. there's no real societal pride or love of each other, it's a nation of narcissism. one just needs to look at how americans drive in complete psychopathy and increasingly so.

in particular about scientism, it's really about the stand-in for technocratic and modern capital systems where 'facts and logic' are inherently used to rationalize capital subjugation.

when matt or bruenig talks about spirituality, they mean deep spirituality in the humanity sense of the word, that fellow humans are good and we live for improving the lives of the others and the others yet to come. that we need a community mindset and not an individualism

I agree that Matt uses it this way, but the TrueAnon guest was pretty explicit about it being religion and that belief in humans as purely physical/biological beings is bad/harmful. Which I think is assuming causation where it doesn't make sense (since nothing about "humans are purely biological beings" implies "and therefore it doesn't matter what we do to them").

It also doesn't really make sense if you look at a country like China, which definitely doesn't value human life less than the US, despite bring far less religious.

It very much seems like a reaction to annoying people online or in the sort of social circles the guest has been exposed to.