Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

One asked if I needed anything, another wanted the bottle of beer I bought, and a third guy just followed me back to where I'm staying yelling something at me. Fortunately he couldn't move too fast so I got inside quick and shut the door. Been reading up about Yeovil online and the consensus is yes, it is an odd place.

Were they all police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

My PC is literally a space heater, rarely if ever turn the heating on. Though I'm weird and run hot and sleep with windows open in mid winter :shrug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Were they all police

possibly the guy trying to sell me spice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Please explain as if I am 5!

There is a video game called hitman where you play as "agent 47" and are tasked with assasinating various people, usually high society, in various environments. You are afforded the option of running in and shooting them in the face but you get more points for arranging a series of elaborate environmental pratfalls that culminate in them dying in some particular way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 21, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gambrinus posted:

That said, anyone who comes in acting the giddy arsehole because they can't be bothered to take any responsibility for themselves can go and sort out their own prescription through 111 or whatever.

There are other jobs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There is a video game called hitman where you play as "agent 47" and are tasked with assasinating various people, usually high society, in various environments. You are afforded the option of running in and shooting them in the face but you get more points for arranging a series of elaborate environmental pratfalls that culimate in them dying in some particular way.

Yes, it can get... interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JI-7xG4Xw

Unnervingly, this exact incident occured last month in a hospital in Surrey

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

I use a dehumidifier to dry my clothes (got one from B&Q for £90 years ago), lowering the moisture content of my house also makes it feel warmer (Northern Ireland is a moisture rich enviroment).
Dehumidifiers are great during winter because they release more heat than they use from all the latent heat of condensation.

Dehumidifiers are poo poo during summer because of the same reason.

I've been using secretive 'big fan' technology to move all the air up the chimney to dry clothes during the heatwave (or even more secretive 'outdoors' technology for big sheets and towels) but it will be back to the dehumidifier for winter.

I'm curious whether those personal heater/coolers that promise some degree of changing body temperature more directly work.

goddamnedtwisto recommended silk biker underglove gloves and I can confirm that they're fine to type in but may make you feel like some kind of regency pervert.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just checked my oil tank and it's surprisingly sitting at 1/3rd full... i must have been much stingier on the heating than i thought, i'll buy another 500l and that should be me set for another year.

I keep an eye on the heating oil price here - https://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices/

Looks like the price is starting to creep up again so now might be the best time to buy.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
One of my grandmothers lived in Yeovil. We hated visiting her. Apparently my grandfather, who died before I was born, was both a freemason and a communist. We used to entertain ourselves by walking two streets down where there was a machine that sold Bazooka Joe bubblegum that came with a lovely little comic strip. The terraced houses were built before the war and had decorative fylfots in the walls. Look up 'fylfot' if you don't know what that is. I'm a bit drunk right now.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There are other jobs.

That's why I only do this half a dozen times a year. If I did it full time I'd be dead, or an alcoholic, or both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I'm curious whether those personal heater/coolers that promise some degree of changing body temperature more directly work.

Imagining connecting my bloodstream directly to a liquid cooling system for my PC in winter, and an AC unit in summer.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Clarence posted:

I keep an eye on the heating oil price here - https://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices/

Looks like the price is starting to creep up again so now might be the best time to buy.

Yeah, my mother was mentioning the same thing.
Best to get in an order now before the rush that will spike the price higher.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Imagining connecting my bloodstream directly to a liquid cooling system for my PC in winter, and an AC unit in summer.
Fortunately they don't interface directly with your juices but they do position near areas of high blood flow, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S1Rh8PnX6M

or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-qPgxJIxQ

"Putting something hot or cold on your skin makes the surrounding area hot or cold" is within known physics, as "blood flow has a role in regulating body temperature" is within known biology, but beyond that and some experiments with astronauts and firefighters I'm not sure how much is hype.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Clarence posted:

You can expect price rises in October and some suppliers might preempt that in September, should be buying mine in a week or so. :homebrew:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Unkempt posted:

[...]freemason and a communist.[...]

I've recently met a few Freemasons, and I was curious as to what being a member actually entails but they were very cryptic and reluctant to talk about it beyond mentioning charity work.
Anyone here know what Freemasons actually do?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've recently met a few Freemasons, and I was curious as to what being a member actually entails but they were very cryptic and reluctant to talk about it beyond mentioning charity work.

I think it involves men baring their nipples.... and a sword, though that might just be the swearing in ceremony, you also get a cool ring. :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mostly secret society stuff.

Actual secret society stuff like old boys networking and getting drunk and doing weird rituals that were hilarious to their great grandads, rather than Alex Jones secret society stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Mostly secret society stuff.

Actual secret society stuff like old boys networking and getting drunk and doing weird rituals that were hilarious to their great grandads, rather than Alex Jones secret society stuff.

It’s this.

My father-in-law is a freemason, we’ve been to a few of the “friends and family” events they put on at their lodge and it’s pretty much just an excuse to dress like twats and get plastered with a load of other middle aged blokes. They seem to take it in turns to fill the various roles, so one year he was the head guy (I wanna say ‘worshipful master’ but this was about a decade ago) and as far as I could tell it just meant he got to decide the themes for all the piss ups - he’s Scottish, so they did a lot of Scottish poo poo that year.

It’s basically exactly how the Stonecutters were portrayed on the Simpsons except all the perks are much less funny and very dependant on how much value you place on knowing a bloke who used to run a conservatory firm.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
regards neighbors/yeovillians etc- I think the general stress of things has people on edge and it's expressing itself in different ways, such as my local lovely neighbors doing a bunch of assaulting each other in the street

least it's not the kid this time and seems they might be moving out now though so double bonus

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gambrinus posted:

Thankfully, I only do the very occasional locum shift these days in shops I know and I'm quite happy to "lend" a few days tablets out and then knock them off your next script.

That said, anyone who comes in acting the giddy arsehole because they can't be bothered to take any responsibility for themselves can go and sort out their own prescription through 111 or whatever.

The number of times in the last week or two I've heard 'But I'm going away tomorrow!' yeah why didn't you MENTION THIS TO US YESTERDAY

customers

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks for tips, will look at a dehumidifier and eye up how to fast convert my child's room during the school day.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Big dinners, amateur dramatics, beer, charity, networking, and staving off the grim reaper. There's a thread here somewhere.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There are freemeson buildings in the UK and they are marked, it's written on the outside. They aren't hiding. Which only increases the conspiratorial culture around them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Surprise T Rex posted:

All I can say is my grandad was one & all it seemed to mean was he could get a discount when he called out a specific electrician or plumber, and when he died there were a lot of people at his funeral.

All sounds very tedious to me, does all come off like the Monty Python sketch with competing architects and one has rhe right handshake

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

My wife has one of those prescription exemption card things due to a permanent lifelong medication requirement and even when I collect her stuff I’ve never been asked for any kind of evidence that she’s actually exempt.

Hopper will know more obviously, but my local Boots has a computer system that tracks your past scrips. If you have a repeat prescription for a relevant medication (e.g. insulin), they don't need further proof that you're exempt for anything else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chubby Henparty posted:

Thanks for tips, will look at a dehumidifier and eye up how to fast convert my child's room during the school day.
Personally I've found the desiccant types to work best for what you might call 'British house damp', low grade cold damp rooms, laundry airing inside, etc., and the compressor types better for swampy damp, like shower/bath/sauna/industrial, and the thermoelectric type to be useless. There's been some research on that too. And also Big Clive videos.

With the downside that they do make things uncomfortably warm in summer, but do a great job as a small heater the rest of the time, just about enough to stop the cold creeping in.

If you can find something like a DD8L for £30-50 under full price and only run it on full tilt (laundry setting) when its coolish indoors then it'll do the job of keeping a small house or flat damp free, airing clothes, and saving on heating.

forkboy84 posted:

All I can say is my grandad was one & all it seemed to mean was he could get a discount when he called out a specific electrician or plumber
High Church Trade Union

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Fortunately they don't interface directly with your juices but they do position near areas of high blood flow, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S1Rh8PnX6M

or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-qPgxJIxQ

"Putting something hot or cold on your skin makes the surrounding area hot or cold" is within known physics, as "blood flow has a role in regulating body temperature" is within known biology, but beyond that and some experiments with astronauts and firefighters I'm not sure how much is hype.

I tried this out after reading about it during the 40 degree horror. It works, kind of. But you have to apply the cold pack to a vessel that is both close to the skin and also large enough to not shut down from the cold. This is pretty much your carotid/jugular vein complex or your wrists. The cold tends to get pretty unpleasant on your skin after a while.

You can't do this with your body's natural radiators like your palms since the small vessels will reflexively constrict to reduce heat loss when it senses the temp drop.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

My doctor currently just says they’ll ring you back at some point in the next week, tries once then closes your ticket.

I’m effectively feeling like medical care no longer exists in the UK.
Oh yeah, the best one was the couple of months trying to get them to call me in the afternoon, they'd call me in the morning, I'd miss it, and have to rebook. Eventually managed to get through and was able to explain that I needed to see someone because I was loving exhausted all the time despite sleeping about 10 or 11 hours a day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

I tried this out after reading about it during the 40 degree horror. It works, kind of. But you have to apply the cold pack to a vessel that is both close to the skin and also large enough to not shut down from the cold. This is pretty much your carotid/jugular vein complex or your wrists.
I wonder how well the heating part works for the cold on that same basis. If it can really raise the temperature of jugular venous blood by a tiny amount it should do something, but in terms of making you not cold without burning that one bit.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Broke: Freemasons run the world
Woke: Freemasons don't run the world, they're just a bunch of old white guys getting bladdered
Bespoke: Freemasons do run the world because they're a bunch of bladdered old white blokes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

Hopper will know more obviously, but my local Boots has a computer system that tracks your past scrips. If you have a repeat prescription for a relevant medication (e.g. insulin), they don't need further proof that you're exempt for anything else.

Yeah it's all automatic now. Well - not *everyone*. But the vast majority of people now we have it already authorised on the computer whether you pay or not. We can override the computer if we need to though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
youtube just showed me Mick lynch on james O'brien, he came across perfectly well as he's a decent chap and all. But he certainly didn't win the argument and did get a bit tied up in knots. It was all about the EU which is a bit late now. Shame.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
hmm can you overclock your brain by wearing an ice helmet

anyway i've never tried drying hanging clothes (lmao clothes dryers are 5% of all us residential energy use jesus christ) in freezing temps since i was pretty small but it should still work fine, even if you hung it outside (you'd literally be freeze drying your clothes as long as there's no heavy precipitation). the humidity level drops low in cold weather helping moisture either evaporate or sublimate

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

mediaphage posted:

anyway i've never tried drying hanging clothes (lmao clothes dryers are 5% of all us residential energy use jesus christ) in freezing temps since i was pretty small but it should still work fine, even if you hung it outside (you'd literally be freeze drying your clothes as long as there's no heavy precipitation). the humidity level drops low in cold weather helping moisture either evaporate or sublimate

Until living in this flat which has a mini communal laundrette upstairs with a tumble dryer, I always dried my stuff indoors all year round. In mid-winter I would have it near a radiator but mostly it dried fine just hanging up (also minimizes ironing if you dry it hanging up and smooth it as you hang it). Did look a bit unsightly if I had visitors mind you so I would endeavour to do it when I wasn't expecting anyone. We've got an outside line here on the flat part of the roof so I'm using that when I can. Dried a machine load on the line yesterday in under 3 hours including towels and jeans.

If you've got a lot of washing - eg kids etc - investing in a separate spindryer with a >2000rpm spin is well worth it (but be sure to put the plastic ring over the top of the stuff in the spinner lest your best jumper gets ripped!) (oh and they're quite low wattage!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 22, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder how well the heating part works for the cold on that same basis. If it can really raise the temperature of jugular venous blood by a tiny amount it should do something, but in terms of making you not cold without burning that one bit.

I doubt it'd do much for heat. Your core temperature is already 37c vs surface temp of 30c and even having something at 37c close to your skin isn't going to be pleasant for any sustained period of time. The issue of being cold is an inability to retain heat, while overheating is a failure of heat dissipation. You can remedy the latter by increasing dissipation by cooling the blood, but your body is already producing heat so improving heat retention in a cold environment is the way to go. Besides, turning on the heaters is simply raising ambient temperature so you don't lose as much down the temperature gradient, it's not adding more thermal energy to your body since your core temp is already way above what is comfortable to have your ambient at.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Re: my plans for a survival tent cocoon thingy, I already have a dehumidifier which I plan (read need) to keep running.

In other news, this is beyond parody. Rachel Johnson interviewing her dad to discuss who is responsible for the poo on the beaches.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1561423547809075200

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Until living in this flat which has a mini communal laundrette upstairs with a tumble dryer, I always dried my stuff indoors all year round. In mid-winter I would have it near a radiator but mostly it dried fine just hanging up (also minimizes ironing if you dry it hanging up and smooth it as you hang it). Did look a bit unsightly if I had visitors mind you so I would endeavour to do it when I wasn't expecting anyone. We've got an outside line here on the flat part of the roof so I'm using that when I can. Dried a machine load on the line yesterday in under 3 hours including towels and jeans.

If you've got a lot of washing - eg kids etc - investing in a separate spindryer with a >2000rpm spin is well worth it (but be sure to put the plastic ring over the top of the stuff in the spinner lest your best jumper gets ripped!) (oh and they're quite low wattage!)

that's an interesting idea; i didn't know that was a thing! thanks. our washing machine only goes up to 1400 rpm i think. when i was little on the farm we couldn't afford a washing machine with a spin cycle so we had one of these

i am privileged enough thankfully to not have to worry about gas bills this winter since gas here is pretty cheap. i'll probably use the dryer when appropriate this winter since it heats the house but i am done using it when it's not cold, i think

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother had an old upright twin tub when I was a kid, had to fill it up with water from the sink and shovel the clothes into the spinner drum with a big paddle.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

that's an interesting idea; i didn't know that was a thing! thanks. our washing machine only goes up to 1400 rpm i think. when i was little on the farm we couldn't afford a washing machine with a spin cycle so we had one of these

i am privileged enough thankfully to not have to worry about gas bills this winter since gas here is pretty cheap. i'll probably use the dryer when appropriate this winter since it heats the house but i am done using it when it's not cold, i think

I had a thing a bit like this for years only cost me about £30 IIRC back in about 1984 but it was still working absolutely fine in 2008 when I freecycled it as I had moved abroad and had to get rid of a lot of stuff I was paying to store (as I was putting it in the storage I was thinking 'for the price of 6 months storage I could buy all this stuff new if I wanted to)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Private Speech posted:

Reminds me of my former neighbour getting insanely aggro about us leaving our bins up front (we had a tiny garden with only access being carrying the bins down 2 flights of winding stairs, with 6 bins in total because we were a large shared house).

He would do things like dump garbage next to the bins in the middle of the night or stuff our recycling bins with used nappies (funnily enough we didn't have any children while he did). Also called police on us once after having done so, but accidentally left his address on one of the pieces of garbage he stuffed in. Oh and he'd write us extremely aggro letters and called to complain to our landlord - he got the number from a maintenance guy who came around.

Just an utter unreasonable disphit. My solution was to move sadly, though he did tone it down to complaining to our landlord after the police incident.

So loving glad I got out of the UK. My last place there I had 2 cunts by me, one next door and one directly across the street. Just absolute aggro Tory shitheads. One was a divorced dad and the other I heard him and his wife arguing and just being nasty as gently caress to each other, so at least I can take solace in knowing that they're miserable.

E: Couple on the other side of me were lovely, though.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

Just noticed this bit of your post clothes dryers are 5% of all us residential energy reminds me I have an American friend who lives in Cairo. Despite the fact you hang your washing out on the balcony and it is bone dry within half an hour, and as little as 10 minutes on the hottest days, she insisted on using a tumble dryer not putting stuff to air dry.