Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Xakura posted:

Why do you people not just watch the interview of her, instead of just speculating?

Reposted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSeoTtUiytU

Ok buddy.

She would have lost a hand, and was very lucky that the first roll went in the direction her arm could compensate, and essentially got one rotation for "free".

the video is good but be ready to use the fast forward button liberally when he starts to go on a tangent

to answer my own question - it WAS her who coached the guy off the gator

also lol at goon speculation and completely misinterpreting things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rgcqap7OeQ1r0uzl6.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
HOLY loving poo poo

they literally turned to hit them, it was on purpose.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What a journey that video was.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

they literally turned to hit them, it was on purpose.

Looks like they're swerving to avoid that other motorcycle maybe?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Serephina posted:

Actual OSHA Content: At my casual job, I got to hear a lights guy loudly rant in front of production about how ridiculous it was to pull 15 hours and be expected to drive home. Yes technically you can raise a fuss and demand transport, by law, but good luck getting another gig...

Wait what? Is it a non-union gig? Isn't that basically the entire reason IATSE almost went on strike last year? People were sleeping in their cars and I think more than one person died from falling asleep at the wheel after long exhausting shifts.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MisterOblivious posted:

The US Army is adopting a new round with a heavier bullet, in a bigger caliber, fired at absolutely insane velocities, using a multi-part multi-metal case to save weight.

And it would be even lighter without the casing and powder. So you could carry twice as many. I'm not even going to get in to the rest of your wiki copy paste because this is the wrong place and we're all still ignoring the massive amount of weight that "in theory" was carrying in my original statement.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

the video is good but be ready to use the fast forward button liberally when he starts to go on a tangent

to answer my own question - it WAS her who coached the guy off the gator

also lol at goon speculation and completely misinterpreting things

in addition to the "Here's a photo of me as a child with my face horrifically mutilated", he starts off the interview by potentially re-traumatizing her, having her watch video of what was likely a very bad day at work.

Clint's reptiles and casual disregard for the mental health of others.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

in addition to the "Here's a photo of me as a child with my face horrifically mutilated", he starts off the interview by potentially re-traumatizing her, having her watch video of what was likely a very bad day at work.

Clint's reptiles and casual disregard for the mental health of others.
uhhh, do you think he suprised her with the video? you think she's tramautized? are you saying she needs rescued from the video segment that she elected to be a part of??

what do you think the point of having her come on the show was?

she's a pro, she's back at work. she knew this was a risk, and she doesn't seem all that traumatized about it. she took it as an opportunity to educate regarding what could have been done better.

but yea the dog bite image out of nowhere was lovely. also, he even makes mention of a story where he stopped watching another video to ask `does someone lose a hand in this?` because he didnt want to see that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are we canceling Clint now? :(

I suppose he could've warned about the dog photo but I think he's making a good and important point which is that dogs way more people (the most, IIRC, if you don't count deer who just jump in front of cars) and we shouldn't be too afraid of gators. Plus its his own photo and you kind of know what to expect from a "gator almost tore this woman's hand off" video so whatever.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

And it would be even lighter without the casing and powder. So you could carry twice as many. I'm not even going to get in to the rest of your wiki copy paste because this is the wrong place and we're all still ignoring the massive amount of weight that "in theory" was carrying in my original statement.

there's a lot of tech hurdles to clear before we adopt caseless ammo. one of the big ones being heat extraction from the chamber. metal cases do a lot of heavy lifting keeping things relatively cool and until we figure out a more effective cooling situation, cased ammo is going to be the norm for quite some time

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Not at all cancelling. Clint's videos and message over all, and the point of the video are things I can agree with.

That's why it seems so disconcerting that it appears to be so casually handled.

I'm not saying she needs rescuing or anything of the sort, but yeah, it would not be surprising to learn that being dragged into the water by an animal powerful and large enough to tear off your arm and eat it would be traumatizing, regardless of how familiar with the individual animal she was.

I don't think she was surprised by the video, but just because she knew about it ahead of time, doesn't mean it wasn't bringing back some real lovely memories for her.

This aspect of the video was seemingly not addressed, and that seems careless to me.

Maybe I'm a little extra touchy, since I got a hosed mind from a couple horror shows at work.

mobby_6kl posted:

Plus its his own photo and you kind of know what to expect from a "gator almost tore this woman's hand off" video so whatever.
"gator almost tore this woman's hand off" != mutilated children

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hazardousmouse posted:

there's a lot of tech hurdles to clear before we adopt caseless ammo. one of the big ones being heat extraction from the chamber. metal cases do a lot of heavy lifting keeping things relatively cool and until we figure out a more effective cooling situation, cased ammo is going to be the norm for quite some time

That's a problem with conventional caseless ammo, but in a railgun/coilgun you're not burning a ton of propellant to fire the rounds. You'd still have some heating just due to how thermodynamics works, but that's a fairly minor problem compared to everything else that needs to be solved in order to make a coilgun a practical weapon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's why I am starting a gofundme for a rail harpoon. Cooling isn't a problem with the ocean as a heat sink

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

hazardousmouse posted:

cased ammo is going to be the norm for quite some time

Literally nobody is disagreeing with this.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The only situation where electrically powered guns would make any sense is where you already have a lot of surplus power available - and the only way that would apply to infantry weapons is if they plugged into wall outlets.

Or we got some truly scifi new portable power sources, I guess - but with the energy densities involved, it'd probably be more effective to use them in the warheads of something launched the traditional way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Computer viking posted:

The only situation where electrically powered guns would make any sense is where you already have a lot of surplus power available - and the only way that would apply to infantry weapons is if they plugged into wall outlets.

Or we got some truly scifi new portable power sources, I guess - but with the energy densities involved, it'd probably be more effective to use them in the warheads of something launched the traditional way.

theoretically the energy density of current lithium ion batteries can hit 2-3 MJ/kg, same as gunpowder

really if we're going for high energy density we should be looking into guns powered by gasoline

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

chitoryu12 posted:

There's enough wrong things in this that I don't even know where to start.

Wrong place for it, admittedly, but I would love a link to something that tears that post apart, as to a non-mil-nerd, it *sounded* plausible.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the electric gun is for when we have war in space, duh. you dont want to waste oxygen on combustion

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

null_pointer posted:

Wrong place for it, admittedly, but I would love a link to something that tears that post apart, as to a non-mil-nerd, it *sounded* plausible.

Cross post it to the general thread in TFR and I’m sure someone will oblige.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Computer viking posted:

https://youtu.be/9tNJeS6O6ds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

Shoot more bullets > shoot bigger bullets/shoot more accurately. The "shoot more" part of your comment is true, but the "shoot accurate" part isn't. Lighter bullets are less accurate at long ranges, and have a lot less stopping power. The US Army is adopting a new round with a heavier bullet, in a bigger caliber, fired at absolutely insane velocities, using a multi-part multi-metal case to save weight. All because the people that use AK-47 against US troops figured out that even though their weapon is crazy inaccurate compared to the M-16/M-4, then can just ambush from further away and the US troops would only have like 1 Designated Marksman that could return fire effectively.

The US military has historically pushed guns and soldiers to be more accurate than anybody else's military, even though their own studies indicate "the more bullets you shoot, the more people you hit." Those studies lead to the development of the M-16: a gun that shot much lighter rounds (2.69lb per 100, less than 1/3rd of the weight the ammo it replaced). Standard Vietnam "combat load" for the M-14, which used 7.62x54mm rounds, was 100 rounds (9.62 lbs). (apparently it was basically "carry as many magazines as you can get your hands on" and magazines were hard to acquire. I don't know what the "official" loadout was). Typical Vietnam M-16 combat load was like 420 rounds. Iraq was like 210(standard load)-600+ depending on the area.

Yeah. So there's a "Meta" IRL. The situation for a long time was "fire more, smaller, bullets" even while militaries were still stuck on "fire big, accurate bullets" and the "shoot more bullets" meta would have been advantageous. When everybody finally adopted the "fire more, smaller bullets" meta big militaries eventually realized they were fighting with people that are still on the "big, inaccurate, long range" 1950's meta.

The answer is that the US probably should have adopted something in-between the length and diameter of the rounds so it was still effective at long ranges but lighter so everybody could carry more, as the designer of the M1 Garand proposed (1936–1958 service rifle) (this was prior to the lighter weight ammo = more ammo = more shots = more hits studies were released, while the US was still at peak "accuracy and precision matter more than anything else" mindset). 6mm rounds are known for being very "flat" shooting and extremely accurate.

How did the Mass Effect 2 codex escape into real life?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Does War Machine from Marvel canonically use caseless ammo? He's got a pretty beefy power supply.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Computer viking posted:

We need them for our space guns so we can plug them back in after a mission and not have to worry about carrying enough gunpowder for a multi generation space voyage. Obviously.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Atticus_1354 posted:

We need them for our space guns so we can plug them back in after a mission and not have to worry about carrying enough gunpowder for a multi generation space voyage. Obviously.

No worries there mate, we have Jewish Space Lasers...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/S18Opmb.mp4

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

That Clint guy seems kind of weird.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

He is a reptiles guy.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Runa posted:

He is a reptiles guy.

Steve Irwin wasn't weird in the way that Clint guy is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

Steve Irwin loved all animals, not just reptiles.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Runa posted:

Steve Irwin loved all animals, not just reptiles.

it’s a shame the feeling wasn’t mutual.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Steve Irwin was a friend to ALL animals, even if they were not friends to him, such as sting rays.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

He has the love of Jesus in his heart.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

And what does Steve Irwin have in his heart?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Scholtz posted:

And what does Steve Irwin have in his heart?

the wrath of a sting ray?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

when tanks do this they're sick, take them to the vet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mister Speaker posted:

Wait what? Is it a non-union gig? Isn't that basically the entire reason IATSE almost went on strike last year? People were sleeping in their cars and I think more than one person died from falling asleep at the wheel after long exhausting shifts.

happens lots, I gather

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/kuEbfuG.mp4

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I expected this to be from one of those early evangelion episodes where their giant death robots* plug into giant power sockets strategically placed around the city.

* I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7133953566364028166