Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also if it makes you feel better, not only are there less optional 70 dungeons than 60 (only 2 less but less), but ShB onwards they reduced the number of dungeons per patch so there's only 2 optionals that were in the X.0 patch and every other one is MSQ so it's the last time you have to do this hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah there's actually very little optional content in stormblood that isn't a major storyline. There's the alliance raid series (which you should absolutely skip cutscenes for; the fights are good but it's perhaps the worst story in the game), the main raid series, and the trial series, just like heavensward, but there's fewer dungeons and most of them are either in the msq or part of the trial series. Doing a quick glance it looks like there's only four dungeons that aren't part of any larger content (a number which reduces to 2 in shadowbringers).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Idk if I've made this advice to you specifically before but, I tend to advise people try to do things in the order they were released rather than sorted by content type. It just feels better to do a dungeon then a raid then a trial then another dungeon, instead of the same thing a bunch of times in a row, imo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I like chucking dudes off roofs and into the ocean

I hate that there are magic webs that save all the people you kick off the skyscrapers. :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Dauragon/status/1561395382151974912

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Canonically those webs disolve after an hour. Spiderman is such a sick gently caress that he likes the criminal to experience fear for as long as possible before they finally plummet

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah there's actually very little optional content in stormblood that isn't a major storyline. There's the alliance raid series (which you should absolutely skip cutscenes for; the fights are good but it's perhaps the worst story in the game), the main raid series, and the trial series, just like heavensward, but there's fewer dungeons and most of them are either in the msq or part of the trial series. Doing a quick glance it looks like there's only four dungeons that aren't part of any larger content (a number which reduces to 2 in shadowbringers).

Yeah I'm a "never skip cutscenes" guy but like, if there's any major questline to skip cutscenes on it's the Alliance Ivalice raids. It's a shame because I do really like the raids themselves.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They're apparently doing some reordering of those quests, so they might be more comprehensible at a bare minimum post-6.2. They're still a low point of writing - I think owing to Matsuno not being familiar with how to write for an MMO - and it results in a cardboard cutout narrative with no teeth that I still struggle to fully remember, and I'm a full on cutscene-and-note-taking kinda guy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What kind of notes?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zinkraptor posted:

Yeah I'm a "never skip cutscenes" guy but like, if there's any major questline to skip cutscenes on it's the Alliance Ivalice raids. It's a shame because I do really like the raids themselves.

This but also Heavensward's Alliance raids. There was something real tedious about it, and it had very strong 'anime filler movie' energy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What kind of notes?

Usually a shitload of screenshots of important moments for reference and occasionally writing down thoughts on important themes or ideas that I notice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I suspect other people have had this experience:

The other day I was putting a game back on the shelf and I saw I had AC: Valhalla for the PS5. I have no recollection of buying this and was surprised it was there. This happened a few months back when I saw I had FF3 on the DS. No idea when or where I got it. But it's there.

I suspect if I looked through I'd find something else that surprises me.

Related, but in a way worse was when I bought Okami for PS4 and then found out I had bought it digitally in a sale at some point. I have a feeling this sort of thing is more common then just being surprised by what you find in your collection.

The worst thing has not happened to me yet. And that is buying a physical game, and then putting it on your shelf next to the same game that you had forgotten you already owned. Fess up, who has done this?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I suspect other people have had this experience:

The other day I was putting a game back on the shelf and I saw I had AC: Valhalla for the PS5. I have no recollection of buying this and was surprised it was there. This happened a few months back when I saw I had FF3 on the DS. No idea when or where I got it. But it's there.

I suspect if I looked through I'd find something else that surprises me.

Related, but in a way worse was when I bought Okami for PS4 and then found out I had bought it digitally in a sale at some point. I have a feeling this sort of thing is more common then just being surprised by what you find in your collection.

The worst thing has not happened to me yet. And that is buying a physical game, and then putting it on your shelf next to the same game that you had forgotten you already owned. Fess up, who has done this?

I scarcely ever buy physical copies (basically it’s just been Sekiro used for the last few years because I didn’t wanna give Activision money) but there are a lot of instances where I peruse my digital collection and go “huh, when the gently caress did I pick that up?” I’m definitely gonna end up buying a Switch game I already picked up the Amazon code for eventually though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the stormblood alliance raid is the only time ive ever skipped cutscenes (i had to rush to get them unlocked, and there were just so goddamn many) and i don't regret it at all (i did watch them much later when my friend went through)

you should 100% do the stormblood normal raid (omega) because its really good and cool and fun (and is relevant later)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I loaded up FFXIV a few minutes ago and just couldn’t do it. Definitely burnout and definitely time to take a break, for real this time. It’s just, so, god why does everyone have to talk so much

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Saints Row games are written by 13 year olds who are having a good time laughing with each other. GTA games are written by 13 year olds who hate each other and all think they are the smartest boy in school.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Open world crime simulators are truly the "i can be your angle, or yuor devil" of video game genres.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Your new boss sends you this email, what do you do?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

ask another coworker for the combination on slack

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would spend multiple hours "researching" at local coffee shops and wine bars.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

ask a ghost

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wowwwwwww this looks nice
https://twitter.com/Arestame_Arkeid/status/1561001357447872512

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

here's the real question: what does shanks look like in phase 2

(the answer is probably he puts the hat back on)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Not give a poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No updates on the Saints Row 2 patch, right? With Nordic's propensity for re-releasing old games, I'm surprised the game hasn't gotten a full on remaster yet.

(also gently caress cancer)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Not give a poo poo

rip you got the Bad ending (ending F)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

rip you got the Bad ending (ending F)

Can I get a reference from hr at least

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

not having the vocals is criminal

wow!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

That’s a bad looking Goku

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
playing Planetside 2 again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think Xenoblade 3 may have the most obviously death-flagged character I've ever seen even by JRPG early game party member standards

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think Xenoblade 3 may have the most obviously death-flagged character I've ever seen even by JRPG early game party member standards

Tell me more...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

Tell me more...

1) one month from "retirement"
2) transferring to a safer position after the current mission
3) everyone has a nice moment talking about how much he deserves to "retire"
4) leaves the party just before said mission starts
5) you can't change any of his equipment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
These days it's so much more complicated than "wearing a red shirt"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s gonna need that gear for when he retires and moves to xenoflorida

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gonna point out that in Xenoblade 1 the two death flagged characters join your party later on, albeit one getting resurrected by the cockney robots

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Petition to rename the "Games" forum to "Video Games".
It's weird having two subforums, one named Games and the other Traditional Games. Just based on the context of the entirety of human history it's weird to consider the default definition of games, as a word, as video games.

And if anything else, most importantly, it looks weird when scrolling through the subforum list.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 22, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

videogames is one word

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

oh well that changes everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro