Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
FFX is already... more or less full rng manip'd in real time runs. The last GDQ run had a co-pilot dropping information into a spreadsheet that calculated rng values for the runner. It's a super fascinating run until calm lands, at which point it devolves into abusing mix+elemenal gems for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The catch of FFX run is, it's not a TAS in the way we usually see TAS. It's not a series of recorded inputs feeding back in, it's an AI playing the game by algorithm decisions, which is why it can theoretically run without a pre set seed

I think it was posted before, but here's a showcase of it if you missed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvz-XdiNuKI

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ToxicFrog posted:

I've seen a few of those (including the Metroid Prime GDQ run where they had one of the devs dialed in remotely) and enjoyed them. I remember the Psychonauts run being pretty good, in particular. There was one bit where the runner is going "so we just have to complete this part and wait for the gate to open, we've been looking for way to get past it forever but no-one's managed it yet" and one of the devs chimes in with "that's my fault, I made it infinitely tall".

"And... we're done. That is the fastest level in the game."
<laughter>
"This game is broken, I want a refund... of my development costs. David, I am taking all your royalties back."

"The game is on sale right now."
"Yeah, the game is on sale. This beautiful, beautiful, not broken game. I swear to god it doesn't look like this normally!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDlsmua8kU&t=16s

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 16, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know anything about the speedrun scene for most of these, but I think the ones I'm most interested in sight unseen would be:
- Ultima 4/6: those games are broken as hell

All the Ultima games basically come pre-broken even if you are trying to play the game legit so this is gonna be something.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I have fond memories of a co-op Battleblock Theatre run with dev commentary that instantly devolved into purestrain late-night silliness. There was one particular moment where the devs got the commentator to read the next donation in their stupidest voice, and then the donation started out something like "I lost my mother to cancer"...

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

pumpinglemma posted:

I have fond memories of a co-op Battleblock Theatre run with dev commentary that instantly devolved into purestrain late-night silliness. There was one particular moment where the devs got the commentator to read the next donation in their stupidest voice, and then the donation started out something like "I lost my mother to cancer"...

Every PJ run is a treasure

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

IIRC, wasn't the devs, it was Stamper, the announcer voice (who has sadly milkshake ducked). It was still incredible and completely bonkers in the moment though. I believe that run also almost didn't happen because their tricks weren't working on the good local LAN so one of them played through the internet while on a phone hotspot so they would have enough lag.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i got it on backup for rpglimitbreak with Koudelka but did not actually notice until someone else told me lol

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kchama posted:

All the Ultima games basically come pre-broken even if you are trying to play the game legit so this is gonna be something.

Yeah, like in U4 even casual play converges pretty quickly on "do a shitload of criming, then use your ill-gotten gains to finance various charitable works to rehabilitate your reputation and thus become the Avatar of Virtue".

I never played U6 myself, but I do remember that (a) you can get infinite money by casting animate armour, then clone, then killing and selling the clones; (b) killing someone with a cannon doesn't actually alarm them the way stabbing them does; and (c) you can unlock any locked door by casting mage lock on it and then casting unlock, which definitely seems like it would be very, very open to abuse.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Boogalo posted:

milkshake ducked

I beg your pardon but what is this?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cage-free egghead posted:

I beg your pardon but what is this?

Reference to this tweet

Will Stamper, the announcer from Battleblock Theatre, had a meltdown on twitter last year where he just blasted out a bunch of slurs and got banned. Recently has been in jail for DUI.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i got it on backup for rpglimitbreak with Koudelka but did not actually notice until someone else told me lol

Huh, gonna have to check out that run then because I'm curious how speed strats for that game would work, if it's just learning to work with what the RNG gives you or if there are any skips, RNG manipulation, etc.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

FirstAidKite posted:

Huh, gonna have to check out that run then because I'm curious how speed strats for that game would work, if it's just learning to work with what the RNG gives you or if there are any skips, RNG manipulation, etc.

the runner who actually got in is a player who's refined the route a lot with new techniques. There's not RNG "manipulation" in the direct sense but encounters are simplistically generated so you can work around that and plan precisely, I think they developed a method of counting steps to really get the specifics down so honestly I'd like to watch that run too just to learn a thing or two lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm curious about how if the randomization with weapons is manipulatable or if it's more of a thing where you have to do minor routing to account for random weapons. Or if none of that actually matters at all and can be ignored lol

Will have to remember not to miss it

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm curious about how if the randomization with weapons is manipulatable or if it's more of a thing where you have to do minor routing to account for random weapons. Or if none of that actually matters at all and can be ignored lol

Will have to remember not to miss it

that matters in the early game but the range of rolls that you can work with is pretty wide? there's a Best Case and a Borderline Unplayable Reset This Trash case but your weapons stop mattering fairly quickly as the run leans on Fixed Weapons and magic for its damage output, neither of which have a random component.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
flame fatales starts in a few minutes

schedule

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

e: i guess sa embeds twitch now

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You got your flame fatales and your frost fatales but where are the arx fatales

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress that's a good lineup, and great timing for my schedule this week

I'm sure this is the one that AJ will finally watch

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

FirstAidKite posted:

You got your flame fatales and your frost fatales but where are the arx fatales

Arfatales?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Arfatales?

I won't be watching it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
We're running against frame fatales but considering our dates were baked into a years old hotel contract, they're running against us!

https://oengus.io/en-GB/marathon/mwsf2022/schedule

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

SeXReX posted:

We're running against frame fatales but considering our dates were baked into a years old hotel contract, they're running against us!

https://oengus.io/en-GB/marathon/mwsf2022/schedule

2 very interesting schedules at the same time? One could probably have both streams open and tab back and forth depending on whether the current game interests you or not. That said, I will not watch either.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

site posted:

flame fatales starts in a few minutes

schedule

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

e: i guess sa embeds twitch now

bike tory posted:

gently caress that's a good lineup, and great timing for my schedule this week

I'm sure this is the one that AJ will finally watch

For the record i havent, and wont.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Your gimmick is tedious.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
There's a final fantasy relay race going on at RPGLimitBreak this weekend. It's already started but there's been some good runs so far including one of the team Mog runners getting a WR (according to comms, didn't verify) for their FFX run on stream.

Schedule: http://bombch.us/DVwC

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 27, 2022

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Wow! Very Cool! I will not watch it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

That's a very powerful domain name

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Pretty sure that site is operated by an oot runner to be the URL shortener that's slightly more trustworthy for someone to click then tiny URL

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Doom Mathematic posted:

Your gimmick is tedious.

also, aren't you supposed to be threadbanned or something

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i unthreadbanned him

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Threadbans are only real when they're observed

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
the more people complain about it the longer he's gonna keep it up before moving on to the next gimmick so

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Free arf

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Venomous posted:

also, aren't you supposed to be threadbanned or something

Admins decided no more threadbans for people lightly trolling threads.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Well duh, what else would help dog, inc have?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's best time not to be watching the Final Fantasy relay in RPG Limit break, since all teams have been playing for 45+ hours through multiple games and now all three of them are in the Opera scene of FF6. That's crazy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TeaJay posted:

It's best time not to be watching the Final Fantasy relay in RPG Limit break, since all teams have been playing for 45+ hours through multiple games and now all three of them are in the Opera scene of FF6. That's crazy.

Yeah it's impressive how in sync they are. I think the farthest they've been off is about 20-30 min in some parts but eventually it always gets caught up somewhere.

The pixel remasters are kinda brutal and have been responsible for most of the swings so far.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Team Mog had a really rough time with FFV. Lost the step route very early and just gradually bled time the rest of the game. They ended up finishing almost an hour after the other two teams

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Still one of the strangest speedrunning games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p5Eb4OSZCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

jesus, this Illbleed run that Punchy's doing on the GDQ channel is certainly something else