Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IronicDongz posted:

was it always this loving huge. holy poo poo

This explains why you are only able to carry so little ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hah, I originally went digging on archive.org after seeing this and being incredibly curious

I've put the DOOM & Dark Forces books onto my Kindle for next time I have some downtime :o:

edit: just realized - swords are fine, but we can't have a knife on the cover of this kid's book! :prepop:

Ninja fist bump!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Sizeable Half-Life 2 single player mod Entropy Zero 2 is out now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1583720/Entropy__Zero_2/

I'm gonna give it a shot because I'm always a slut for more single player shootmans. I'm not too hot on playing as a Combine but judging from the trailer I'm pretty sure the turns will table at some point in the narrative.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

site posted:

Sucks that that archive copy of Doom has some lame reprint cover instead of og one with the game box art

I had the entire set of the originals but I let a friend borrow them and his mom gave them away. There was a time each was selling for like 100 bucks a pop.

They get extremely weird after the second book. It would've been funny if the new games had gone that way.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I remember almost nothing about Quake 4 other than turning into a Strogg and maybe some part where you fight in trenches.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Sizeable Half-Life 2 single player mod Entropy Zero 2 is out now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1583720/Entropy__Zero_2/

I'm gonna give it a shot because I'm always a slut for more single player shootmans. I'm not too hot on playing as a Combine but judging from the trailer I'm pretty sure the turns will table at some point in the narrative.

Did HL2 ever get any mods that made combat not feel so anemic? A sort of Brutal HL2 if you would.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember almost nothing about Quake 4 other than turning into a Strogg and maybe some part where you fight in trenches.

That’s pretty much the only memorable part. It’s one of the most mediocre shooters I’ve ever played. It’s amazing how perfectly middle of the road it is.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Deakul posted:

Did HL2 ever get any mods that made combat not feel so anemic? A sort of Brutal HL2 if you would.

MMod

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just finished Quake 4. I can't even call it middle of the road since it seems to have no aspirations to even get onto the street.

The stroggification is the only thing that sort of feels like something is happening but the only changes are 1) You no longer run as though you were tragically born without kneecaps and instead now maintain a gentle jog 2) You can use healthstations which you saw in earlier levels, but, uh, medpacks are still absolutely everywhere all the time 3) You can read strogg signs, but only those that say "system offline" 4) Your hud midly changes 5) Your max health and armor is 125 now instead of 100

The game is a series of ugly ever so slightly biological corridors filled with braindead enemies who have no real way to flex any intelligence anyway since nearly every single fight occurs within a hallway. There are a few attempts at breaking up the pacing, but they're not very interesting and the actual combat is usually a brief burst, likely due to the limitations of this version of Ids engine. The upgrade system seems entirely story gated, and the only upgrade that actually matters is one of the earliest which is the nail gun becoming a homing weapon. Bosses... exist and amusingly the first is by far the hardest because you have to do an enemy gauntlet prior to fighting it with no healing, and it has a trick to how its health work that will likely result in wasting a ton of ammo the first time through. The basic movement speed is unacceptably slow so that when you get stroggified it can be improved to painfully slow. Finally, the ultimate weapon you get is absolutely dogshit.

Positive: There is a part late into the game where you're introduce to a spooky area and a new enemy who comes from pods in the walls and then starts teleporting around. You get an introductory fight with one, enter another room and fight a second. On entering the third room the pod bursts open and reveals... nothing and while you're staring at it two regular enemies are flanking you and shooting you in the rear end while you stare at the empty pod. Good twist.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished act 3 of forgive me father. i'd definitely rank it as a solid shooter... i don't think of the third act as a slog per se, but having two more levels did feel a little odd (the fourth act seems to also have 8 levels), like it alters the pacing in a negative way i think.

i think you could probably cut that level with the trap floors and be fine. i like that there's a brief deep sea diving level where you're limited to the harpoon gun, that was neat. the boss forcing you to keep moving around was nice, at least one wrinkle to what is otherwise a pretty rote boss.

i think i'm only missing one weapon at this point. the energy blaster reminds me a lot of the pulse gun from UT, while the rocket launcher honestly hasn't gotten a ton of use because i already converted the mp18 into a grenade launcher. i think that if they do a sequel, they can go a lot weirder with the weapon trees to really differentiate them. i think it's fine if some of them share ammo. but it's a little odd that i've ended up with two not entirely dissimilar energy weapons, and two not entirely dissimilar explosive weapons. get really cronenberg with the weapons, is what i'm saying. have one shoot eyeballs, have another pull enemies toward you (and then give the character a kick button)

i prefer fashion police squad overall but i'll still finish this one off. next one will be hands of necromancy

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Quake 4 was such a damp squib. Feels like they rushed it just to meet next-gen console releases, and coasted on the brand name.

I think the reception was why they cancelled Doom 4 and started over again internally.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Quake 4 was such a damp squib. Feels like they rushed it just to meet next-gen console releases, and coasted on the brand name.

I think the reception was why they cancelled Doom 4 and started over again internally.
Quake 4 was LONG before Doom 4 v1.0 even started. Remember, Rage took like six years or something crazy to make.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Quake 4 made me think something that no Raven title or Quake should ever make you think:

,,Man, this reminds me of that new game everyone is talking about, Modern Warfare. I should probably play that instead."

Now, to be fair, Call of Duty 4 was awesome and Quake 4 feels like it needed more time in the oven. Didn't help that on Xbox, the whole thing hovered around 20 fps.

Prey remains the best thing to come out of idtech 4, hands down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I feel super confident Prey is the best one of the set.

And yeah, Modern Warfare genuinely looked, I cant believe Im going to say this, vibrant compared to quake 4

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/burgerbecky/status/1561187943125078017

https://twitter.com/burgerbecky/status/1561382451804512257

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeeeeeassssss

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played and beat Quake 4 a year or so ago and “aggressively mediocre” is how I’d describe it. It’s like the game is constantly trying to worm it’s way out of your brain.

But it’s by no means bad. And I’m hoping ID/Bethsoft fix the game so it doesn’t need and INI/Commanr Line edit to load the higher res textures.

I DO like that they made it a sequel to Quake 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really like the Strogg faction. ET Quake Wars was the "first" plot wise, then Quake 2 then 4. I wouldn't mind remakes of the whole Strogg side of Quake games.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

One of the things I remember the most about Quake 4 (beside the obvious stroggification already mentioned) was the shotgun, mainly how good it was compared to the sad thing in Doom 3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The reason everyone remembers the Strogg scene is because they spoiled it at length in every single pre-release preview. Strange move to blow your big plot twist before the game comes out, but sure.

Apparently there was gonna be an expansion pack, but it got cancelled. I think a bunch of the stuff they'd made for multiplayer got released for free in a patch?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Kins posted:

The reason everyone remembers the Strogg scene is because they spoiled it at length in every single pre-release preview. Strange move to blow your big plot twist before the game comes out, but sure.

Apparently there was gonna be an expansion pack, but it got cancelled. I think a bunch of the stuff they'd made for multiplayer got released for free in a patch?

Quake 4's multiplayer shipped as a better-in-every-way iteration on Quake 3, but it was too late for that type of thing to make a big splash.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Twerk from Home posted:

Quake 4's multiplayer shipped as a better-in-every-way iteration on Quake 3, but it was too late for that type of thing to make a big splash.

There's always a lot of problems lurking in giving folks what they are apparently asking for (in a sequel), but Q4's multiplayer also made the mistake of being a direct followon to the way mp was originally released in Q3, rather than building on the community-developed features that everyone had come to depend on over the years. (The lighting was also weird, and IIRC there were also initially issues with mouse input and framerate caps.) Poor thing never had a chance.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Unfortunately I can't really recommend Entropy Zero. The pacing feels really uneven, level design is kind of flat and visually uninteresting, and for some reason, I'm assuming to punch up the combat encounters, weapons have utterly ludicrous amounts of recoil that makes shooting guns really unfun. Also, I haven't felt like any of the encounters are well balanced. I dunno, it's just not doing it for me.

Also a nitpick but the Combine dialogue is under so many layers of distortion that I can't understand what anyone's saying without the subtitles.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I... I don't think I even KNEW there was a Quake 4. What in the world?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

It was pretty big on release. Xbox 360 launch title.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

It was in my peripheral, but I know nothing about it aside from the fact that it exists. Kind of curious to see what it's about.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Direct sequel to Quake 2, has Peter Stormare and Charles Napier and the mullet kid from Terminator 2 in it somehow, feels like a mashup of Doom 3 and Quake 2.

I like it, but it's certainly not amazing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.timeextension.com/features/the-true-story-behind-doom-3dors-lmissingr-fmv-scenes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

Having played the game they absolutely 100% needed to spoil that. It occurs 40%+ of the way through the game and turns the movement from "very bad" to "minimum acceptable speed" so you really need to convince people they gotta play to that point. Without knowing its gonna happen theres no way you plug on past the first main mission set.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There is one specific mancubus frame that is voxelized in the Voxel Doom mod and it nearly got me killed because it made me stop and stare and wonder if I imagined it until I thought to use the freeze cheat to check it out.

edit: Seems like there are a few more that I didn't notice:

This mod looks so good that it's hard to even tell that the monsters are voxels

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 23, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The most interesting part of the voxel mod is being able to see the enemy corpses from behind. I don’t know why I never saw the baron death animation as splitting in half as the top bends back but now I know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Having played the game they absolutely 100% needed to spoil that. It occurs 40%+ of the way through the game and turns the movement from "very bad" to "minimum acceptable speed" so you really need to convince people they gotta play to that point. Without knowing its gonna happen theres no way you plug on past the first main mission set.

Sure enough, Haze tried the same sort of twist a few years later, but didn’t promise it gets better in the marketing, and everyone thought it was trash

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair, haze had a lot of issues going on that kind of kept it from being popular. quake 4 might be kinda whatever in some areas but it's definitely not a hot mess.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

BattleMaster posted:

There is one specific mancubus frame that is voxelized in the Voxel Doom mod and it nearly got me killed because it made me stop and stare and wonder if I imagined it until I thought to use the freeze cheat to check it out.
I actually rebound my F7 key in GZDoom to toggle the freeze cheat on and off. Who on earth uses the "end game and quit back to main menu" command in 2022 anyway? That's what the Esc key is for.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Guys, is Shadow Warrior 2 good? It's cheap on GoG right now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

nemesis_hub posted:

Guys, is Shadow Warrior 2 good? It's cheap on GoG right now.

It's a blast just don't obsess over the awful skill gem system and you'll be good.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Shadow Warrior 2 is a weird instance of the core gameplay being so good that it's worth at least checking out in spite of everything else about it being messy and horrible

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Awesome, thanks, it's only 3 bucks so I'm going for it then. Dusk and a couple other nu-retro FPSes are on sale, as well, in case anyone wants to take a look.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the actual gunplay of shadow warrior 2 is pretty nice. don't care too much about the weird, overstuffed gem system and just mostly worry about having all your elements covered to take advantage of weaknesses. the level gen is kinda whatever. the story is so chopped up that you can basically see the bleeding stumps where wounds were left. definitely a fun enough time for 3 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I skipped SW2, but I still really enjoyed SW1 despite it's lack of a menagerie. The twist at the end had me agape; what do you mean there's good writing and well-developed characters, that's not what I came for?!