Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nah death's door is one of the few games I've bothered to 100% without looking anything up because the game has an unobtrusive built-in hint system to point you toward things you're still missing. it was well handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vandar posted:

Immortals: Fenyx Rising:

Listen, I'm enjoying your game, but I really don't need to see a short cutscene every single drat time I craft anything or upgrade any of my stats/abilities. You're making me really not want to do any crafting or upgrading unless I'm at a point I don't have any other choice. :argh:

It's absolutely the biggest problem in the game, especially once you get into it and don't get back to base for a while and have a bunch to do all at once

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Professor Wayne posted:

Death's Door is a pretty good game, but its post-game is super obtuse. It seems doable without a guide, but why would you ever want to?

There's death's door postgame?

Ohhhh yeah, I couldn't bother on that one. Got confused with tunic there

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Truly a little thing dragging Forza Horizon down: I've been playing racing games lately and got to Need for Speed first. These days, Need for Speed feels pretty stodgy in its driving mechanics, while the Horizon series feels like the perfect loose, arcadey racer I've always wanted, both for races and taking my hypercar cross country at 200 mph. But somehow Forza doesn't have a nitrous boost mechanic while Need for Speed does, and it works really well in that. It feels like the perfect thing for a crazier game, giving yourself a little edge or boosting out of a slide, and I'm constantly noticing its absence right after playing NFS and it leaves me a bit unsatisfied.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Vampire Survivors had a Binding of Isaac style post it so you can click on a character and see what you have or haven't done with them yet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wish Vampire Survivors had a Binding of Isaac style post it so you can click on a character and see what you have or haven't done with them yet.

I just unlocked the Queen on VS, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out which zone I should run to kill a million enemies to unlock the currently last Unlock

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

the_steve posted:

I just unlocked the Queen on VS, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out which zone I should run to kill a million enemies to unlock the currently last Unlock

Pretty much any zone. She's incredibly intentionally overpowered. Her growth is basically "the best of all the other characters at once"

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Also, it's a hundred thousand enemies you have to kill in a single run with Queen Sigma, not a million, so it's not nearly as much of a stretch from what you would've encountered in runs with other characters

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make sure to grab Wicked Season and Torrona's Box and you pretty much can't go wrong.
To be extra overpowered limit yourself to 2 weapon slots, put Pentagram->Gorgeous Moon in the other slot, and pick Silent Old Sanctuary as your first arcanum.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, if you want more enemies in Vampire Survivors then you want a higher Curse stat. So:
- max out Curse on the Powerups screen
- pick the Skull O'Maniac passive
- pick Torrona's Box and get it to level 9 (whole lot of Curse)
- grab the Gold Ring and Metaglio Right (remember that the Mad Groove arcana brings them closer to your position)
AND/OR
- the Wicked Season arcana will also gradually increases Curse

A whole lot of ways to add enemies that will not even show up on your screen before they get deleted by Queen Sigma.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol i stopped playing vampire survivors for like a month and now this is all complete gibberish to me. it's really impressive how much stuff gets added constantly

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol i stopped playing vampire survivors for like a month and now this is all complete gibberish to me. it's really impressive how much stuff gets added constantly

I was gonna say this exact thing, except it’s super overwhelming for me and is keeping me from picking up a really fun game again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, just because this thread talking about it got me to play FTL as a refresher, I feel the need to say the last boss still loving sucks astronomically because it breaks basically every rule the game teaches you. If at any point you kill its crew it gets massively buffed so boarding crew party and asphyxiation strategies are pretty much useless against it. In the first phase it starts off getting to hack you before going stealth mode literally the instant the battle starts, it has four weapon systems and you don't get to see their charge meters like you would in other battles. In the second phase it drops the stealth in favor of using drones, but unlike any other drone fight in the game, it still gets to use its drones even if you disable and damage its drone system; it also gets a special attack it can still use even if all three of its remaining weapon systems are destroyed. In the third phase it drops the drones, gets mind control and is down to two weapons but, again, has a new special attack that shits out a ton of damage it gets to use even if every system it has is damaged; also it has a zoltan shield that not only is stronger than any other in the game, but gets to recharge in the middle of the fight which no other does.

Also it has four layers of shields innately which most of your ships get if you max yours out! But it has like two to four weapons, plus its special attacks, which all do like two to four shots each so your shields are pretty much constantly shredded, and even then a few of its weapons just plain old go through them; which is just a feature of missiles. Because unlike your weapons, the boss ship doesn't have to worry about power cost, and most weapons equivalent to its - things that fire three to four volleys - usually have like twenty second charge times and eat up like three to four bars of power when at max, most ships can allot like eight bars of power to their weapons, out of their max of twenty five spread across their entire ship's systems.

Like, yeah. It's supposed to be the final boss and it's supposed to be a challenge. But that poo poo stops being fun when it outright breaks every single one of the game's established encounter rules just to flip you off and call you a fucker.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Nuebot posted:

So, just because this thread talking about it got me to play FTL as a refresher, I feel the need to say the last boss still loving sucks astronomically because it breaks basically every rule the game teaches you.

It would make the game infinitely better if it was an optional encounter. Like you have a pretty good run and collected the proper equipment and decide to take on the optional boss to get more points or achievements. Instead it feels like an exam I can't pass and even if I can, it's rarely fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What's the big secret information you're carrying in ftl? The final level is weird because you've reached what I assume is the capitol but all they have are a few lovely planets that can repair you. The rebellion was way ahead in the war anyway

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

What's the big secret information you're carrying in ftl?

the names of the kickstarter backers

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ilmucche posted:

What's the big secret information you're carrying in ftl? The final level is weird because you've reached what I assume is the capitol but all they have are a few lovely planets that can repair you. The rebellion was way ahead in the war anyway

I think it's the weakness of the boss you're about to fight? I can only assume the weakness is missiles. Lots of missiles.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

Nuebot posted:

I think it's the weakness of the boss you're about to fight? I can only assume the weakness is missiles. Lots of missiles.

IIRC, it's that the flagship is some kind of technical a lynchpin to the rebel fleet- if it's destroyed, then the whole fleet falls

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ilmucche posted:

The names and proportions of the colonels 11 herbs and spices.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

It would make the game infinitely better if it was an optional encounter. Like you have a pretty good run and collected the proper equipment and decide to take on the optional boss to get more points or achievements. Instead it feels like an exam I can't pass and even if I can, it's rarely fun.

It's been awhile since I played, but I think the game effectively treats it as an optional boss anyways, I think the unlocks for "beating the game" just check to see if you have reached the final sector. But yeah, gently caress that boss's mechanics. If it at least played by the rules of the game, it wouldn't be so bad, but that it gets special attacks you have no way to mitigate outside of specific systems really drags it down.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moosecow333 posted:

I was gonna say this exact thing, except it’s super overwhelming for me and is keeping me from picking up a really fun game again.

It hasn't really changed all that much, you still just move around and massacre trillions of skeletons and mermaids. There are just more characters and levels now. Some relics and whatnot, but most of that stuff you can ignore if you want. The new super character can only be unlocked if you've unlocked 95% of the other stuff, but if you don't care about that and just want to send fireballs into a bunch of frog people you still totally can. The only thing you'll want to make sure you grab is the grimoire, it shows you weapon evolutions in the pause screen but you can still just alt tab over to a wiki and check that stuff out

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I played through F.E.A.R. back in the day and never checked out the sequels though I've owned them forever. Now I'm playing through F.E.A.R. 2 and it's pretty good, but man it has overstayed its welcome. Everything starts to really look the same; there's a ton of detail in the game for its era, but there are so many reused assets and maybe even entire building interiors that I can't tell where I am in terms of comprehending my location versus any other location I visited in the game. Why do there need to be two chapters that take place in a school? Do we really need another subway section? Is this the same lab or a different lab than the one I was at two chapters ago or the other one in the beginning?

Edit: Hahaha holy poo poo what a loving awful ending. Wow, that is one of the worst endings I've ever seen. I thought I had hosed up and gotten some kind of joke ending, or maybe this was a credits fakeout thing or whatever, so I looked it up and nope, that is the canonical ending to this game. Incredible.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Aug 21, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Randalor posted:

It's been awhile since I played, but I think the game effectively treats it as an optional boss anyways, I think the unlocks for "beating the game" just check to see if you have reached the final sector. But yeah, gently caress that boss's mechanics. If it at least played by the rules of the game, it wouldn't be so bad, but that it gets special attacks you have no way to mitigate outside of specific systems really drags it down.

As I've said before at some incredibly early point ITT, I used to try and play FTL with a mod that disabled the fleet chase mechanic, which barring running low on fuel gave me the ability to fully explore every single sector and gather tons and tons of resources. Still couldn't handle the flagship because I didn't pick the Correct and Good systems that counter its bullshit.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

"House" of the Dead takes place in many different locations, not just a house. Very innaccurate name

Maybe the title is referring to an institutional house, like the zombie equivalent of Hufflepuff? Or it could be a dynastic grouping, like the House of Windsor. We shouldn't just assume it refers to a physical place

:goonsay:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

I played through F.E.A.R. back in the day and never checked out the sequels though I've owned them forever. Now I'm playing through F.E.A.R. 2 and it's pretty good, but man it has overstayed its welcome. Everything starts to really look the same; there's a ton of detail in the game for its era, but there are so many reused assets and maybe even entire building interiors that I can't tell where I am in terms of comprehending my location versus any other location I visited in the game. Why do there need to be two chapters that take place in a school? Do we really need another subway section? Is this the same lab or a different lab than the one I was at two chapters ago or the other one in the beginning?

Edit: Hahaha holy poo poo what a loving awful ending. Wow, that is one of the worst endings I've ever seen. I thought I had hosed up and gotten some kind of joke ending, or maybe this was a credits fakeout thing or whatever, so I looked it up and nope, that is the canonical ending to this game. Incredible.

Are you me, a year ago?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I remember playing Fear 2 when it was new, so I was unspoiled on the ending. Thinking "naw, this can't be what I think is happening". Stunned finding out it really was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish Hardspace Shipbreaker didn't take place in the universe in which it does. It feels like it's on a constant mission to bum you out instead of just letting you enjoy the clearly methodical and thoughtful gameplay the developers want you to engage in. There is just no levity to it even during the moments of levity in character interactions, because of the dire state of the game's world. The humor is not enough to cover the bleakness.

I can't play it myself because of the intro sequence but even watching my friends play it, it is just so exhausting to leave our real world and go to a fake one where people are STILL just constantly talking about unions and how barely fair living at all is. I would just feel bad playing the game and having to tune out its message completely in order to enjoy the act of playing it.

Make a loving game where you're happy to take apart ships next time, my god. Allow the player to put a little joy in the act they're engaging in for like 30 hours.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Aug 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Can I just add that I'm already really sick of anti-establishment themed video games which do not allow you to rebel against the establishment you're under and just feature people complaining about it until the duration is over? Completely toothless, all of them. It's like they watched half of Robocop and read one 2000 AD comic and said that was good enough.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
shipbreaker isn't one of those

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't speak to Shipbreaker, but I was already tired of that kind of poo poo with Journey to the Savage Planet. And Satisfactory. And Outer Worlds. And I think Deep Rock Galactic might stray that way too? Just a whole lot of "haha the joke is future hell corporations don't care if you live or die" which is basically a Portal joke except with all of the humor replaced with crushing, pitch black reality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

moonmazed posted:

shipbreaker isn't one of those

I don't believe you. If that's true then I guess I won't get far enough to see that part of it, the intro triggers a panic attack in me because they violently kill your character as an insensitive 'gotcha' joke about a minute into the game. I'm sure it eases off on that in minute 10.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you're bummed by that stuff I would suggest Citizen Sleeper, which tried to directly grapple with corporate personhood and how one can push against establishments in remote locations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CJacobs posted:

Can I just add that I'm already really sick of anti-establishment themed video games which do not allow you to rebel against the establishment you're under and just feature people complaining about it until the duration is over? Completely toothless, all of them. It's like they watched half of Robocop and read one 2000 AD comic and said that was good enough.

Play Night in the Woods. It tells you one good and correct way to fight back

Put the establishment in a hole in the ground and cover it

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hector Delgado posted:

I remember playing Fear 2 when it was new, so I was unspoiled on the ending. Thinking "naw, this can't be what I think is happening". Stunned finding out it really was.

Lol, I was playing through and really confused during the end sequence before it clicked and I just said out loud "Am I loving This Ghost?!"

John Murdoch posted:

As I've said before at some incredibly early point ITT, I used to try and play FTL with a mod that disabled the fleet chase mechanic, which barring running low on fuel gave me the ability to fully explore every single sector and gather tons and tons of resources. Still couldn't handle the flagship because I didn't pick the Correct and Good systems that counter its bullshit.

I've played a lot of FTL, the flagship is definitely a tricky step up in difficulty. But its really hard to imagine going through with no fleet chase and not getting to the end sector with a flagship crusher. I guess maybe if you go all in on missiles, the drone phase with the upgraded defense drone is a hard counter.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Backbone looks really cool and has a unique concept (dystopian noir detective mystery with anthropomorphic animals) but really goes off the rails the last 2 hours or so

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I can't speak to Shipbreaker, but I was already tired of that kind of poo poo with Journey to the Savage Planet. And Satisfactory. And Outer Worlds. And I think Deep Rock Galactic might stray that way too? Just a whole lot of "haha the joke is future hell corporations don't care if you live or die" which is basically a Portal joke except with all of the humor replaced with crushing, pitch black reality.

I think this is starting to annoy me more than the banal "Capitalism is bad" games that don't actually let you meaningfully fight capitalism in any way. Just those like twee "tee-hee isn't our dystopia hell? Get back to work grinding, meat slave uwu" joke poo poo sucks and stopped really being funny after the hundredth game thought they were clever by just repeating various simpsons jokes about Mr. Burns and his power plant except half the time the burns stand-in is now a big handsome chisel jawed man with a moustache instead of a feeble invalid who's greatest nemesis is a literal baby.

Kit Walker posted:

Play Night in the Woods. It tells you one good and correct way to fight back

Put the establishment in a hole in the ground and cover it

Seconding this though, Night in the Woods was fun.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Blossom Tales II came out recently and it's meant to be a a ALTTP/LA 2D zelda style game, but the game falls off hard by the end. It gives you 24 item slots and I counted 10 unique items I had collected by the final dungeon and 9 bottles. Some of the bigger, game-spanning quests for collecting things just ended on a wet fart and a heart piece. Add to that the constant need to swap out the only two item slots between combat and utility items in one single room, and I'm happy to have beaten it and wash my hands of it. I am staring at a controller that has four face buttons, four trigger buttons, and a D-Pad, and you only get two buttons to map two items to at any given time besides your sword. :rant:

16 heart containers is plenty, I don't need to putz around any more just to be further disappointed. Especially if the last 5 items are just more loving bottles

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

I think this is starting to annoy me more than the banal "Capitalism is bad" games that don't actually let you meaningfully fight capitalism in any way. Just those like twee "tee-hee isn't our dystopia hell? Get back to work grinding, meat slave uwu" joke poo poo sucks and stopped really being funny after the hundredth game thought they were clever by just repeating various simpsons jokes about Mr. Burns and his power plant except half the time the burns stand-in is now a big handsome chisel jawed man with a moustache instead of a feeble invalid who's greatest nemesis is a literal baby..

I think going to hard on capitalism would sink any meetings with prospective publishers and few developers have the ability or means to turn down upfront money to handle the costs of development.

Games made as a hobby by a handful of people not looking to recoup costs have more leeway than a professional development team with families to feed.

I'm not saying this is in any way good, and games that flirt with the evils of capitalism without right up to, but never crossing, the line into condemning it anteater come off half-assed at best, but I get the incentive to not cross that line. It's hard to truly criticize capitalism when your art needs to suck up to capitalists so your fellow artists can afford food.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

And I think Deep Rock Galactic might stray that way too? Just a whole lot of "haha the joke is future hell corporations don't care if you live or die" which is basically a Portal joke except with all of the humor replaced with crushing, pitch black reality.

DRG kinda has that as the set dressing but considering the gameplay loop is a mine where you also frag giant hell spiders it wouldn’t be appropriate not to frame it that way, right?

DRG isn’t trying to make a point about capitalism anyway. It’s mostly just to compel you to grind more minerals and cash so you can buy stuff because that gameplay loop is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Backbone looks really cool and has a unique concept (dystopian noir detective mystery with anthropomorphic animals) but really goes off the rails the last 2 hours or so

Yeah, a lot of people, including me, were really disappoint with how Backbone turned out.
The kickstarter promised a hell of a lot more mechanics and story, but it just kind of, stopped.

According to the developer they completely changed their mind over what kind of story they wanted too tell near the end of development.
But at the same time the whole game feels like a mismanaged kickstarter project that ran out of money, so the quality peaks with the prologue chapter and just kept dropping until the game ends at what feels like what is supposed to be the end of act 1.

Either way it's a shame how it turned out.