Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Casey Finnigan posted:

why would anyone care about catcher in the rye nowadays. the only reason anyone read it is because they had to, for school.

seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

This would be more authentic if instead of his sister you pitied anyone he dated in college

I’m assuming he'll be dead by then

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i say swears online posted:

judy is definitely tradcath red scare but doug is not alt right and i'll die on this hill

Best I can do is a YangGang CryptoBro, if he kills himself it's because he owes 500K to Robinhood

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

Best I can do is a YangGang CryptoBro, if he kills himself it's because he owes 500K to Robinhood

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doug is an Open Biden liberal and died from getting covid at brunch

Patti survived and now has long covid, she becomes one of those people always posting about not having enough spoons to do anything

Roger is trying to sell his unvaxxed sperm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bebe is a girlboss vice president. patti's tinder is mostly selfies in hunting camo

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Caulfield is 16 in 1949/1948, he was born in 1933. today he would be 89 years old

He probably has in innate god given belief that the city is evil, which is why he dreams of just doing a job in a rural area. But he's a guy who doesn't want a system in place to keep people safe but wants a system to allow himself to choose who he wants to save.

He want is to save kids playing near a cliff, and if they fall off, he wants to catch them. God Forbid somebody puts a fence. He would be okay with letting one kid die here or there if he finds them deplorable.

But God isn't mentioned. The war isn't mentioned. He probably just instinctively hates the government without any really knowledge. The guy want's a complete break from the past. No history at all.

He's BOY from William Butler Yeats's Purgatory.

If Caulfield was in his 20 to 30 now, he would be Libertarian, Bitcoin guy, who thinks he is in on the scam pumping out tweet after tweet, meme after meme.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Aug 21, 2022

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mr. Dink works at Raytheon, that's how he can afford all of that stupid poo poo.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

judy is definitely tradcath red scare but doug is not alt right and i'll die on this hill

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

I did hear once that the creator of whom Doug is a self insert went over to the Brooklyn apartment of his irl crush only to find she had married the irl bully

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Doug probably left for college. If he didn't end up in some sort of art drawing thing, he would have been in a college band like modest mouse or something. Then some desk job.

Edit: Graphic Designer! He would be making stuff for websites .

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Aug 21, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

I did hear once that the creator of whom Doug is a self insert went over to the Brooklyn apartment of his irl crush only to find she had married the irl bully

Good for her. Roger is way cooler than Doug, the wuss.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6o7KLEbG4

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
doug's hairstyle never caught on in real life, roger klotz won

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

remember the Disney version of Doug, where roger is the rich kid? no you don’t, no one does.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rodger is obviously a Bernie Bro

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Rodger is obviously a Bernie Bro

It fits

-Machismo
-Lower socio-economic class
-Misogyny-coded (wears leather jacket)
-White-supremacist-coded (see point #2)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look at him respecting boundaries

RandolphCarter posted:

remember the Disney version of Doug, where roger is the rich kid? no you don’t, no one does.

it sucked so bad. i knew it was gonna be bad and i was still disappointed

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

it sucked so bad. i knew it was gonna be bad and i was still disappointed

yeah same here i watched like 5 episodes of it and even my dumb kid brain realized it was worse somehow

the vibe had shifted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it just lost the nickelodeon weirdness. disney shows weren't allowed to be weird. imagine if they had revived ren & stimpy, or god, pete & pete

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
We can all agree that Skeeter is cool and well-adjusted

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Honk honk!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dead from a beanbag to the eye at a BLM protest

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

dead from a beanbag to the eye at a BLM protest

Blue Lives Matter! Honk Honk!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Saul Goodman died in 2021 when Montrose Federal Prison administrators dropped all pandemic mitigation measures and a series of covid waves ripped through the prison population unabated

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doug is your average white chapo listener.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelPaulson/status/1561436303287353349

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

God Hole posted:

Saul Goodman died in 2021 when Montrose Federal Prison administrators dropped all pandemic mitigation measures and a series of covid waves ripped through the prison population unabated

kim just posts about robert mueller on twitter

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

it just lost the nickelodeon weirdness. disney shows weren't allowed to be weird. imagine if they had revived ren & stimpy, or god, pete & pete

Imo Disney animated shows were generally lovely and nickelodeon veered between awesome/funny and annoying/dorky, which I know is true for most cartoons but man there was no middle ground on that network for me when I was a kid

Cartoon Network was the poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Proud to announce that while looney tunes on HBO max in general isnt a hit, wile e. Coyote vs roadrunner is the greatest show on earth for a young boy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Proud to announce that while looney tunes on HBO max in general isnt a hit, wile e. Coyote vs roadrunner is the greatest show on earth for a young boy

the wider catalogue sucks poo poo but yeah anything with a sight gag holds up

my ranking is

coyote and roadrunner
bugs and daffy
marvin
bugs and elmer fudd
bugs and yosemite sam
speedy
foghorn leghorn
pepe
taz
granny/tweety/sylvester
porky

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the wider catalogue sucks poo poo but yeah anything with a sight gag holds up

my ranking is

coyote and roadrunner
bugs and daffy
marvin
bugs and elmer fudd
bugs and yosemite sam
speedy
foghorn leghorn
pepe
taz
granny/tweety/sylvester
porky

Pretty spot on. We watched a duck dodgers thinking daffy would be good but porky was awful in it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/IGN/status/1561118636638715904

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll take a renaissance of the dad flick rather than the endless stream of superhero garbage

for now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

That's crazy since top guns opening was barely over 100m, less than half of that avengers movie

All time top 5 theater experience for me, with Jurassic park (as a kid), matrix, dredd, and fury road rounding out the rest

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

mastershakeman posted:

That's crazy since top guns opening was barely over 100m, less than half of that avengers movie

All time top 5 theater experience for me, with Jurassic park (as a kid), matrix, dredd, and fury road rounding out the rest

I actually had to go verify because I couldn't believe it was doing that well. If anything, the low opening probably helped it out. It's getting by because similar to something like Avatar it has a massive tail and it doesn't seem to really be leveling off just yet. Every superhero type fare will hit 45 days and have reached 90% of its total but t this point it's ceiling probably depends on how long they keep it in theaters. 13 weeks into its run and still being number 4 at the weekend box office (and number 2 the previous week) is insane.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

probably because top gun is a good popcorn flick on its own merits and doesn't require a massive time buy in to care about the current superhero movie arcs

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Cael posted:

13 weeks into its run and still being number 4 at the weekend box office (and number 2 the previous week) is insane.

i mean have you seen the options for movies that are in theaters right now? they're bad. I think it's just that it's summer and people are simply picking the least bad/only good option for a movie to watch

dragon ball super hero notwithstanding

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
what else you gonna watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

probably because top gun is a good popcorn flick on its own merits and doesn't require a massive time buy in to care about the current superhero movie arcs

yeah this seems like a mounting problem for the MCU. as someone who has about 10% exposure to the franchise, i even found parts of wandavision to be impenatrable. even if i were MCU-curious, i'd find any new entry too daunting to bother with