Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dang that’s what happened to JJ huh. Floated away on some beach bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
A fun thing to think about is that JJ hides as a cloud. It has camouflage... which means in the universe of Nope, JJ has predators. :stare:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ephori posted:

A fun thing to think about is that JJ hides as a cloud. It has camouflage... which means in the universe of Nope, JJ has predators. :stare:

I think there's quite a few predators who use camo to approach their prey, not to protect themselves.

Also there's the actual Predator...not sure it counts though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think there's quite a few predators who use camo to approach their prey, not to protect themselves.

Yeah, most obviously, tigers. But also vipers, some spiders, polar bears, etc.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sure, but that's not how JJ uses it. It's a cloud only when it's dormant. It's not sneaking up on prey as a cloud.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So it's torpor, like an alligator. Camoflage and remain motionless to conserve energy until prey gets too close.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

High Warlord Zog posted:

I wonder what happened to that guy when Jean Jacket unfurled. It took the Jupiter's Claim crowd half a day to be digested to death. Did he just spill out onto the ground?

My interpretation: due to the fake horse blockage, the crowd didn't get digested - if there was no blockage, they likely would've been digested somewhat quickly. Instead, Jean Jacket simply squished them and spat out their undigested pulpy remains. The TMZ guy probably just got sucked into whatever actual digestive cavity processes the food as soon as Jean Jacket saw another victim (which plays into my theory that JJ amplifies the sound of its suffering prey to attract new prey).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nothing to do with anything but it still blows my mind thinking about that video where an orange tiger still manages to be 100% invisible in green grass until it jumps out and swipes at the dude on an elephant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUdb8XHni_0

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
JJ is pretty flimsy, I could see it having predators that are just like small birds that can peck its flesh away and it probably wouldn't take much of that to kill it, then a whole flock could have a ton to eat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a good chance larger members of its own species can be threats to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Someone on Reddit did a theoretical anatomy study, and it’s pretty fascinating!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m glad they included the eye hole for when it’s in saucer mode but it looked like it was only one eye hole centered in the front, not two like in the drawing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wonder if there is a link between the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and the whole concept of not looking at JJ.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tekopo posted:

I wonder if there is a link between the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and the whole concept of not looking at JJ.

Probably not, the point is not looking them in the eye. Granted, given how JJ's sight seems to work that doesn't help.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

*Me, staring fixedly down, while being menaced by Jean Jacket overhead.*

"I don't appreciate this."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s JJ’s thread count

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Denim doesn't get measured in terms of thread count.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Considering JJ's eye is only visible in its threat display mode iirc, though it seems to have no problems with seeing anything when folded up, it's possible it reacts violently to being looked at because its own kind absolutely don't do that unless they're being explicitly threatening.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Considering JJ's eye is only visible in its threat display mode iirc, though it seems to have no problems with seeing anything when folded up, it's possible it reacts violently to being looked at because its own kind absolutely don't do that unless they're being explicitly threatening.

Hence the whole focus of the entire movie about not looking predators in the eye. Essentially all predators take eye contact as a threatening gesture.

mousku
Jun 2, 2011
I went to see this with subtitles in two languages and during the Gordy scene, the subtitles switched places. The language that was on top row was suddenly bottom row and this happened only during that one scene. I have no idea if this was a technical issue or something that happens at every screening but it added an extra layer of paranoia to my viewing experience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now I want to see a film where the subtitles lie to you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Arrested Development did that a few times.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Now I want to see a film where the subtitles lie to you.

Okja, another film featuring Steven Yeun, not only had Steven Yuen lie while translating between English and Korean, but the movie itself lies to English audiences with intentionally inaccurate subtitles.

One of the themes of the movie is that you can never fully rely on someone else to give you the truth, it’s something you have to gain yourself

Fuckin Bong Joonho is devious

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 20, 2022

mousku
Jun 2, 2011

mousku posted:

I went to see this with subtitles in two languages and during the Gordy scene, the subtitles switched places. The language that was on top row was suddenly bottom row and this happened only during that one scene. I have no idea if this was a technical issue or something that happens at every screening but it added an extra layer of paranoia to my viewing experience.

I just got confirmation from another person that this happened in their screening as well so I guess it's a thing. What a bizarre, subtle thing to do but it definitely got me perfectly disoriented for that particular scene.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Saw the movie last night and loved it, still processing it today. Definitely a movie I would like to watch again at home so I can pause and pore over little background details.

The omnipresent eye/camera lens symbolism blew me away, I loved the TMZ guy's creepy helmet that was essentially just one big eyeball and that the camera well was set up as a Chekov's gun so smoothly at the beginning. I don't know if it has any significance but the idea of a camera in the well made me think of that old wives' tale about how if you look at the sky from the bottom of a well you can see the stars in the middle of the day. And every little detail like Jupiter's name (a gas giant that a JJ-like alien could hypothetically come from, but also the planet famous for having one big 'eye') and the fact that the balloon mascot is winking, giving it by design one round, black cartoon eye to match JJ's own.

I thought the creature design was fantastic, the perfect mix of weird and unique blended with archetypical and iconic. It gave me the impression of a 4+ dimensional being passing through 3 dimensional space, especially toward the end. One thing that stood out to me when JJ started to distort and billow was how much the material it was made of looked like projection screen material.

Something I haven't seen many people comment on is the Wizard of Oz allusions. There might be more than this, but off the top of my head there's a scene where Emerald (as in Emerald City, shortened to Em as in auntie Em?), dozes off on the couch while watching a video on her phone that namedrops the ruby slippers. And of course, the tornado imagery throughout. Somebody I saw the movie with pointed out a possible correlation between the core characters - Emerald is the cowardly lion (wants to flee the ranch repeatedly but ultimately gets her big moment of bravery at the end) Holst is the tin man (lost touch with the 'heart' of his craft but regains it seeking the impossible shot) Angel is the scarecrow (comes off as clueless to OJ and Em at first but ultimately his technical knowledge comes in clutch)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fyadophobic posted:

Saw the movie last night and loved it, still processing it today. Definitely a movie I would like to watch again at home so I can pause and pore over little background details.

The omnipresent eye/camera lens symbolism blew me away, I loved the TMZ guy's creepy helmet that was essentially just one big eyeball and that the camera well was set up as a Chekov's gun so smoothly at the beginning. I don't know if it has any significance but the idea of a camera in the well made me think of that old wives' tale about how if you look at the sky from the bottom of a well you can see the stars in the middle of the day. And every little detail like Jupiter's name (a gas giant that a JJ-like alien could hypothetically come from, but also the planet famous for having one big 'eye') and the fact that the balloon mascot is winking, giving it by design one round, black cartoon eye to match JJ's own.

I thought the creature design was fantastic, the perfect mix of weird and unique blended with archetypical and iconic. It gave me the impression of a 4+ dimensional being passing through 3 dimensional space, especially toward the end. One thing that stood out to me when JJ started to distort and billow was how much the material it was made of looked like projection screen material.

Something I haven't seen many people comment on is the Wizard of Oz allusions. There might be more than this, but off the top of my head there's a scene where Emerald (as in Emerald City, shortened to Em as in auntie Em?), dozes off on the couch while watching a video on her phone that namedrops the ruby slippers. And of course, the tornado imagery throughout. Somebody I saw the movie with pointed out a possible correlation between the core characters - Emerald is the cowardly lion (wants to flee the ranch repeatedly but ultimately gets her big moment of bravery at the end) Holst is the tin man (lost touch with the 'heart' of his craft but regains it seeking the impossible shot) Angel is the scarecrow (comes off as clueless to OJ and Em at first but ultimately his technical knowledge comes in clutch)

Holy poo poo oh yeah his name was Holst

Like, the guy who composed The Planets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, it’s come up in Reddit discussions, it looks like JJ has some kind of eye on the front, or a sensory organ or something? That little notch right in the middle of the rim is making people suggest JJ’s vision works like a camera obscura.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Is that shot not right at the end of Jean Jacket pulling itself back together after slightly coming apart while either eating the TMZ guy or failing to eat Angel?

Anyway, I had a good chuckle at how Jean Jacket died from eating plastic.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Is that shot not right at the end of Jean Jacket pulling itself back together after slightly coming apart while either eating the TMZ guy or failing to eat Angel?

Anyway, I had a good chuckle at how Jean Jacket died from eating plastic.

I don't think so. It's early on in the climax when he's trying to run JJ through his paces.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, that’s the start of the climax. It’s visible at other points too, that’s just the only pic I could find.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think what I really appreciated about the movie is that the characters figured out what was going on before I did, and they didn't cheat to get there.

I think what didn't work for me is the acting was too good/ not good enough. Something like the self-promotional safety brief should have come off incredibly cringey, but she actually delivered it well.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think it helps sell the idea that she doesn’t really need OJ while he really needs her

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That was 100% pure cringe. She was so unprofessional and annoying that I was looking forward to the aliens killing her up until the praying mantis scene.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I had a strong initial dislike of her based off that scene that also had to be overcome, probably also at the mantis scene.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think it helps sell the idea that she doesn’t really need OJ while he really needs her

I don't really think that was the point of that scene though, especially in juxtaposition to the phone call with Holst.

With her and Jupe I have a real clear idea of real life analogs, and while their overall performance is good, their in-character performances don't hit the right notes for me.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

While I agree that Em comes off as abrasive at first, which seems pretty intentional, her behavior completely clicked for me as soon as she brought up the story of the first Jean Jacket.

We're introduced to Em by Otis Sr. asking where she's been, and then by her lateness and over-the-top presentation. At that point it's natural to just assume that she's a flake. Then we find out that one of her formative memories is that broken promise to let her train Jean Jacket. That was supposed to be Em's first big role in the family business. It was this hugely significant thing for her, but then she realizes that teaching her wasn't as important to her father. He was okay with putting her off out of convenience. I'm sure he had his reasons, and depending on the financial circumstances of the ranch at that time, they might have made sense. But that doesn't change the fact that as a young girl, Em was looking forward to having her dad show her the ropes with Jean Jacket, and instead Otis Sr. was down in the ring with OJ, who was also still fairly young and inexperienced at the time. I'm going to guess that wasn't the only time that the daughter of the family felt more pushed aside than the son who shared their father's name.

Em's whole demeanor seems related to that understanding that she would have to be more independent. She wasn't around the ranch as much anymore because she hadn't felt the same opportunity in the place that OJ did. She promotes herself in borderline inappropriate ways because nobody else is gonna put her forward. Maybe she overcompensates, but it's just so relatable and sympathetic. It's rooted in that lowkey misogyny of fathers relating less to daughters, and it keeps standing out to me that her hustle is sometimes seen as grating while Jupe's more practiced (and better funded) self-promotion is more recognized as a product of his past.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was pretty funny that her safety speech didn’t address any safety specifics at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was pretty funny that her safety speech didn’t address any safety specifics at all.
I got the vibe that "safety minute" was more of an industry practice than literally "here is how you are safe around the horse," but that could have just been how the crew were presenting it... and if "safety minute" is in fact a pro-forma practice nobody cares about, that kind of ties into the whole theme, too. :v:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Well There's Your Problem Episode 125: Star Lasso Experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Last Podcast on the Left 550: Star Lasso Experience