Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
It was well made. Nothing bad nothing good. Just made well.

Its not going to be possible to really judge until we see how the plot and characters develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

PostNouveau posted:

It felt like the GoT pilot set up a whole lot of stuff, and this was a pretty standard court intrigue show that is not much interested in anything outside the court.

I like the change. The first few episodes of Game of Thrones has you trying to keep up with dozens of characters from different houses, which was a little overwhelming.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I wonder what the starks are up to

No reason why, just curious

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I haven't seen it yet but I'll end up watching it just to have something to talk about with my parents.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

I like the change. The first few episodes of Game of Thrones has you trying to keep up with dozens of characters from different houses, which was a little overwhelming.

I did think it was a pretty good hour of TV. It's just gonna be a different kind of show than I was expecting.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If it wasn't Matt Smith, I would think the actor playing Daemon was awesome. Because I know him as Matt Smith, he looks silly with the hair but he's still pretty awesome.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Episode ruled. Show rules. I'm fully here for more Westerosi tits and cocks and bloody tits and cocks.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

D-Pad posted:

I'm fully here for more Westerosi tits and cocks and bloody tits and cocks.

hell yeah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was okay. Probably should have had more happen for a premiere.

The Witcher show sucks. Someone said it was good and I don’t want to go find that post to quote though.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

The Witcher show sucks.

Shut up

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I have to echo the "it was okay I guess" sentiment of a lot of people. At least with GoT's pilot, the twist at the end works as a great hook to keep people intrigued. There wasn't really anything like that here. I have to think they'll keep expanding the number of locations and characters as time goes on. Looking at some casting info though it seems this really is all just a essentially a prologue, and we'll get a big 10 - 20 year time jump forward for when the whole civil war thing happens. Maybe things will feel more compelling then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MLSM posted:

Is she a total nutjob or something?

She came extremely close to becoming the first Queen but they went with her (seemingly very nice, kind-of-a-walkover) cousin instead because he was a man. She swallowed that and has continued to live her life, her husband at least has a high position on the council and seems to be one of the few who can think more than a few days ahead when he recognized the threat of the rising naval power. But you see during the tourney that there are still people who refer to her as "The Queen that never was" both as mockery for some but for others a nod to her being more worthy than the current King. Then she sees her 9-year-old female cousin actually getting a shot at what SHE could have had and everybody pledges their allegiance without a problem so now she knows for a fact that there was absolutely no reason she couldn't have been Queen after all, the males only! "tradition" turned out to be bullshit and her male cousin getting picked over her was just favoring a male over a female for no actual reason.

So there's definitely potential there for her to start thinking about how maybe things would be easier if she just picked up where things SHOULD have been (in her mind) in the first place and makes herself queen. As her husband said, she already has a male heir of her own so that satisfies that part of things, she'd be a more obvious choice than a young girl or the current King's extremely reckless younger brother etc.

Whether any of that happens who knows, but I think she's been given too much prominence this early on not to play some factor into things.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Sounds like a nutjob to me

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
more like incesteros

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I wonder what the starks are up to

No reason why, just curious

Rickon Stark is one of the montage lords who swear fealty to the King & Rhaenys no, Princess Rhaenyra. I hate GRR Martin's Valerian names.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I thought the episode was OK. I also hope they kind of run away from the Song of Ice and Fire thing, if only because it forces me to remember what a bag of nothing that plot thread ended up being on GoT, so it's hard to muster any sort of care for that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I enjoyed this more than I thought i would

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the bearded dude on the small council who was like "Girl leader? Bah!" a Stark?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

he called it the song of ice and fire

the wall exists! the king of westeros funds the army at the wall!! it was built eight thousand years ago!!! the current dynasty has been around for one hundred years and is talking about forgotten family traditions!!!! gently caress!!!!

this is my major plot gripe. they should never, ever mention the wall again ever. my other gripe is characters, i don't give a poo poo about literally anyone. tourney was cool

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MLSM posted:

Shut up

No. Improve your taste. You can be better. You don’t have to settle for this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

i say swears online posted:

the wall exists! the king of westeros funds the army at the wall!! it was built eight thousand years ago!!! the current dynasty has been around for one hundred years and is talking about forgotten family traditions!!!! gently caress!!!!

this is my major plot gripe. they should never, ever mention the wall again ever. my other gripe is characters, i don't give a poo poo about literally anyone. tourney was cool

Maybe this is why the Stark lord pledging allegiance looks so loving furious :lol:

King: We conquered the realms because of a dark mysterious evil that nobody else knew about!
Starks: Are you loving kidding me with this bullshit?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Stark lord had some real "I have better things to do with my time than this nonsense" energy and I loved it.

Jerusalem posted:

King: We conquered the realms because of a dark mysterious evil that nobody else knew about!
Starks: Are you loving kidding me with this bullshit?

Starks: Alright whatever, just promise us that whenever the great evil appears you'll back us up 100% with all your dragons since we are going to be the first kingdom getting hosed by it.
King: Look man, y'know, yeah.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Wasn't the bearded dude on the small council who was like "Girl leader? Bah!" a Stark?

As far as I can tell, that was Lyonel Strong, Lord of Harrenhal. He's got sons that are going to be introduced as characters eventually.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Episode 1 wasn't bad, so I'll probably keep on watching the rest of the season.

I think the casting for House of the Dragon is good so far, but the only thing that bugs me about this show far is that I can't stand Matt Smith as Daemon.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Pobrecito posted:

more like incesteros

whose the incest baby in this? Is it the Matt Smith character? any others? help me book readers

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bodhidharma posted:

Episode 1 wasn't bad, so I'll probably keep on watching the rest of the season.

I think the casting for House of the Dragon is good so far, but the only thing that bugs me about this show far is that I can't stand Matt Smith as Daemon.

that's funny, i think he's great channeling his Prince Philip massive dickwad energy

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So if these Targs live at Herrenhall during this time, what house ruler lives at King’s Landing?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gresh posted:

whose the incest baby in this? Is it the Matt Smith character? any others? help me book readers

All of the the targs 'keep it in the family' as often as they can. The current king's parents were siblings, and their parents were siblings. Most of them AR either sibling fuckers, cousin fuckers or slightly extended branch family so we don't all end up Charles II fuckers.

So yew, it is Matt Smith.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Gresh posted:

Of the Targaryeans? All of them. The Royal family line is basically a vertical line of brother and sister marrying, with the exception of those outside of the direct line of succession. That's why the Queen who wasn't(gently caress looking up the name again) and Daemon are married to non-Targs. And, in Daemon's case, seems to have given him a case of mr. limpy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[team america voice] matt daemon

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
feels like mid-series GoT not season 1 or 2 but that's reasonable enough

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
7/10

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

So if these Targs live at Herrenhall during this time, what house ruler lives at King’s Landing?

My bad, I guess they ARE at King’s Landing. I could’ve sworn I heard someone mention Herrenhall earlier.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

MrMojok posted:

My bad, I guess they ARE at King’s Landing. I could’ve sworn I heard someone mention Herrenhall earlier.

I think the first scene was there when they read the vote.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I surprisingly didn't hate it, I might've even experienced enjoyment, or perhaps something adjacent.

also, There was a shot of one of the dragons flying overhead in king's landings from the street level that looked suspiciously like a very similar shot from The Bells episode of GOT.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 22, 2022

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Can we at least agree Matt Smith in dread slayer armour is among the best things put to film so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

that's funny, i think he's great channeling his Prince Philip massive dickwad energy

The petulant side is fine but he’s also meant to be a great warrior who commands the respect of the entire City Watch and that side isn’t believable at all

nopants
May 29, 2004
yah i’m on board with matt smith slaying dud3s with dark sister

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Can we at least agree Matt Smith in dread slayer armour is among the best things put to film so far

This is exactly how I always pictured Elric of Melniboné looking when dressed in his Royal armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Ninurta posted:

Of the Targaryeans? All of them. The Royal family line is basically a vertical line of brother and sister marrying, with the exception of those outside of the direct line of succession. That's why the Queen who wasn't(gently caress looking up the name again) and Daemon are married to non-Targs. And, in Daemon's case, seems to have given him a case of mr. limpy.

lol jesus how do these guys not have 3 arms yet