Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Sometimes the hype is part of the fun

I'm nostalgic for no man's sky and Spore hype. those were fun threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I'm nostalgic for no man's sky and Spore hype. those were fun threads

drat i wanna read the Spore hype thread, that's gotta be like an important historical document

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Caesar Saladin posted:

drat i wanna read the Spore hype thread, that's gotta be like an important historical document

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/05/27/e32k5-request-granted

It's funny how I vividly remembered this, took almost no searching to pinpoint a comic from almost twenty years ago. But there you go, ~Spore~!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

satanic splash-back posted:

I love hearing people complain about dark souls, a game series where you can outlevel the enemies.

Levels don't do THAT much though. Outgearing enemies makes a bigger difference.

There were some videos at Elden Ring's launch showing how to explore the open world and cheese your way to a +7 weapon before the first boss.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

fridge corn posted:

Sometimes the hype is part of the fun

Seeing folks get so loving hyped and eventually disappointed by game releases never gets old, video game review rage is A+ tier schadenfreude for me. I feel like an old man that's seen too many friends die in multiple wars that cannot feel love any more. Actually, that's not a very good metaphor. Went too far.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Elden Ring kicks rear end though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

nobody is out there playing games for hours that they don't enjoy because of "hype" unless they're weirdo pathetic joyless streamers

but there are lots of people who will start playing a 6-7 out of 10 game, have enough fun to stick with it to the end, then look back and say "in retrospect I probably wouldn't recommend that game to a friend, it was just ok"
hype helps to get more people in the door playing one of those good-enough-to-keep-playing-but-not-great games. it won't help if something is actually awful, like look at how Artifact dropped off a cliff instantly, or New World (but it still got the 60bux from all the people who bought in due to hype even if they dropped it in 2 weeks)

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

neato burrito posted:

Seeing folks get so loving hyped and eventually disappointed by game releases never gets old, video game review rage is A+ tier schadenfreude for me. I feel like an old man that's seen too many friends die in multiple wars that cannot feel love any more. Actually, that's not a very good metaphor. Went too far.

It's the same with a lot of media. Album releases do the same thing. I still remember a thread about the new NIN album Year Zero (I really like it, though) where a person was listening and after two tracks said THIS MIGHT BE AS GOOD AS DOWNWARD SPIRAL

I know it's tempting to be riding a wave of Great New Art and all of that but it happens all the time with so many things. Pitchfork did a feature where they looked back on some of their reviews and re-rated albums. Some ended up with higher ratings, but others acknowledged the hype train participation and dropped the new score. It's a very human thing to do but I get tired of seeing it.

Here's the pitchfork piece: https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/pitchfork-reviews-rescored/

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Elden Ring kicks rear end though

no it doesn't

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does New World still exist?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

Does New World still exist?

surprisingly yes, it's even above Valheim, ESO and Sea of THieves

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

surprisingly yes, it's even above Valheim, ESO and Sea of THieves

Color me absolutely surprised

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

As per the thread title you played a catboy in final fantasy 14 whereas I did not. This means that my opinions are more valid than yours and Elden Ring owns

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Elden Ring was okay but too easy to be really enjoyable

Also they should stop wasting time implementing PVP in their games, it's always awful and the games would be better if they didn't have to design around it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if your gonna be playing final fantasy 14 you may as well go all the way and be a catboy

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
William only hates Elden Ring because there's no catboy option

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Triarii posted:

Elden Ring was okay but too easy to be really enjoyable

Also they should stop wasting time implementing PVP in their games, it's always awful and the games would be better if they didn't have to design around it

ds2 pvp was really good
the rest were just ok

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Dark Souls PvP seems like it's mostly OP cunts adhering to the strongest builds. I'd imagine about 75% of the player base doesn't give a hot poo poo about it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Path of Exile had a huge nerf to drop rates, people are pissed/convinced it's a bug and the developer pretty much just posted "working as intended". Ha.

Caesar Saladin posted:

nobody is out there playing games for hours that they don't enjoy because of "hype" unless they're weirdo pathetic joyless streamers

This may come as a shock to you but people aren't always rational. Sometimes they may play a game thinking to themselves "eh this isn't exactly fun but maybe fun is just around the corner" and sometimes they're right, other times no that fun isn't anywhere.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 22, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

neato burrito posted:

Dark Souls PvP seems like it's mostly OP cunts adhering to the strongest builds. I'd imagine about 75% of the player base doesn't give a hot poo poo about it.

its all metagame bullshit. I like souls games either solo or co-oped through with a friend. They're all way too easy when you co-op all the way through though.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Path of Exile had a huge nerf to drop rates , people are pissed/convinced it's a bug and the developer pretty much just posted "working as intended". Ha.

This may come as a shock to you but people aren't always rational. Sometimes they may play a game thinking to themselves "eh this isn't exactly fun but maybe fun is just around the corner" and sometimes they're right, other times no that fun isn't anywhere.

I have probably put 1000 hours into Total War games over the years until one day I was playing Warhammer 2 and I had an epiphany that it just felt like I was working and I never played it again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Duck and Cover posted:

league of legends,

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The multiplayer really did feel more like a contractual obligation in Elden Ring. They didn’t even bother to give it a lore explanation like previous games where it had to do with space-time breaking down or make any questlines or factions utilizing it. Just went “Yeah yeah you know what the deal is here’s your invasion item and your coop item now scram”.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I have probably put 1000 hours into Total War games over the years until one day I was playing Warhammer 2 and I had an epiphany that it just felt like I was working and I never played it again.

I tried many MMORPGS before giving up on the genre and while they weren't necessarily terrible they weren't all that fun either. In no order really.

Everquest 16
Dark Age of Camelot 20
City of Heroes 10 (not super confident on that number probably a bit higher)
Anarchy Online uhhhhhhhh super low single digits maybe?
World of Warcraft 54

Not to counting the ones that don't really belong in the same list just by being different enough. (Maple Story, Ragnarök Online, Clanlord).

Oh yeah I played Last Epoch too, that one lasted like 1 hour which was pretty much just a bunch of me pressing escape or whatever the skip button was. In my defense the combat looked like it would be fun but turns out that's like 5% of the experience.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 22, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Path of Exile had a huge nerf to drop rates, people are pissed/convinced it's a bug and the developer pretty much just posted "working as intended". Ha.

I've been getting plenty of loot out of kalandra. sounds like a bunch of whiners

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Replaying Dishonored 2 and holy poo poo some of the so called low chaos are pretty loving cruel ways to neutralize your enemies. It'd be almost merciful to end some of them outright.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

tango alpha delta posted:

Replaying Dishonored 2 and holy poo poo some of the so called low chaos are pretty loving cruel ways to neutralize your enemies. It'd be almost merciful to end some of them outright.

Are you talking about when you sneak into the investor's mansion and use the torture device to make him incredibly stupid? because that is pretty hosed up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

neato burrito posted:

I like it but it's just a fun thing to screw around in. People making entire meta builds just so they can be op and convince themselves it was skill are weird.

Demon's Souls at launch...Souls PVP at it's absolute purest, was some of the most fun I have ever had playing a game online. Just randomly getting invaded anywhere in the game, people weren't speccing for PVP. It was just players bothering other players and it was super fun. It's the type of thing that can't last forever though because gamers will be gamers and Fromsoft doesn't care that much about balancing PVP since it's just basically dick around mode.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 22, 2022

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The only time I really did souls pvp is when I had a hilarious broken build in DS1 where i used a shield that had a Captain America throw as a special attack, and one shot people because the attack scaled with your right hand weapon, so I would put a massive +15 greatsword on and just chuck the shield and ruin people's day

then, of course, they patched out the fun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

prison exists because it's the low chaos option for society, not because it's best for prisoners. society is hosed up, running smoothly isn't always best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I have heard and that loving owns

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

i haven't finished Dishonored 2 yet but yeah this was one of the coolest parts about Dishonored 1, particularly with the Pendleton brothers

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I hear a lot of poo poo talked about Dishonored 2 but I loved it. Some of the levels are huge and intricate and the two characters are meaningfully different.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I hear a lot of poo poo talked about Dishonored 2 but I loved it. Some of the levels are huge and intricate and the two characters are meaningfully different.

the Clockwork Mansion level is genuinely one of the greatest levels in all of videogames

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the Clockwork Mansion level is genuinely one of the greatest levels in all of videogames

it's too bad they didn't work the time travel gimmick into the game more generally instead of it being a one off for that level

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cyberpunk is really good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I expected to like Cyberpunk a lot after the intro with the huge latino dude but I kinda just stopped playing it. I should pick it up again because I hear there are some good missions that i haven't played yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fyi once you get the point of no return message, finish up all the side quests because it's like sixty hours of Witcher 3 esque questing lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cyberpunk probably would have ruled as a small little side project to hold people over between Witcher games instead of trying to make a massive AAA with every feature ever. Like a 10-20 hours isometric RPG with the same basic story and voice acting would have been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

poverty goat posted:

it's too bad they didn't work the time travel gimmick into the game more generally instead of it being a one off for that level

Like Titanfall and that banger of a level with the time switch