Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I want to say "I love how Marlys has strong Bad Machinery Lottie zine comic energy," but I'm sure it's the opposite.

Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'm kind of curious how voter rolls, or taxes, or inheritance works for prey species since they are frequently murdered. It seems like it'd be impossible to keep up with all of it.

This is one you already posted a couple of days ago.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Oh no!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
CTHU-PIN NOOOO

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm kind of curious how voter rolls, or taxes, or inheritance works for prey species since they are frequently murdered. It seems like it'd be impossible to keep up with all of it.

I can guarantee that in this sentence you've thought about that far harder than Holbrook ever has

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Prediction: Futaba will say "You can cook? THAT'S SO COOL!"

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is one you already posted a couple of days ago.

Oh drat, sorry! No clue how that got in there. Here’s a new one, I’ll go back and edit.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Prediction: Futaba will say "You can cook? THAT'S SO COOL!"

Likely, yeah. It looks like it's making oyakodon for her so she'll probably be oblivious to the fact that it's changed its shape so dramatically.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Dustin

Great visual gag in Nancy.

Also, why did Dustin briefly turn into George Jetson?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hippocrass posted:

Also, why did Dustin briefly turn into George Jetson?

I think George Jetson was born like a week ago?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dustin was hit so hard he turned into Mickey Rooney.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Do any of you regular posters have any tips for a cheap and easy way of scanning cartoons out of a book?

I think I have something for the thread but it's all in print form.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for August 19, 1926! This week's issue comes wrapped in a Garrett Price cover.

Bruce Bairnsfather (timg'd for unconscionable tallness.)

Don Herold:

Herman Roeg (I have a name and a WW1 Red Cross poster, and that's all I'm coming up with at the moment.):

A Gluyas Williams spread:

And ooooo, look at the great and mighty Mr. Crosby come crawling back home...

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Kevin and Kell does remind me that the worst part of the Purge movies would be the day after the Purge, and realizing all your coworkers were killed or in the hospital recovering, so now you have extra work to do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne
I've never understood why people do this. Leftovers are great. It's the same food you enjoyed before, but with much less effort. Depending on what it is, it might not be as good after being refrigerated and reheated, but it'll be fine - and it's all ready to go! I love having leftovers.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Been out of pocket lately, here's the start of a catch-up for Nancy 1947

8/16

8/18

8/19

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nu-Nancy is usually good more often than not, but damned if Bushmiller Nancy isn't constant gold.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood why people do this. Leftovers are great. It's the same food you enjoyed before, but with much less effort. Depending on what it is, it might not be as good after being refrigerated and reheated, but it'll be fine - and it's all ready to go! I love having leftovers.
Some people have a really strange aversion to eating something more than once in the same year. At least that's the most sense I've been able to make of it.

Well, that and some people not realizing it's allowed to reheat things in the oven if it's texturally better that way.

E: or just freeze it if it's too much for you to eat before it spoils! There's a billion things you can do instead of throwing out perfectly good food.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 22, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Sep 27, 1953)

A good dog.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Sometime's it's better the second day also. Time in the fridge lets it soak in its juices and yumminess. This is :science:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (August 8-14, 1983)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It was a different time and place but, based on my highscool experience, these nerds are dramatically overestimating the influence of the student council.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Weembles posted:

Do any of you regular posters have any tips for a cheap and easy way of scanning cartoons out of a book?

The way I do it, and I think it's obvious considering the quality, is photo with my phone, how's via Google Images and adjust as required through Photo and Photo3d.

I am not a good comic-scanning person.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 14, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Some people have a really strange aversion to eating something more than once in the same year. At least that's the most sense I've been able to make of it.

Well, that and some people not realizing it's allowed to reheat things in the oven if it's texturally better that way.

E: or just freeze it if it's too much for you to eat before it spoils! There's a billion things you can do instead of throwing out perfectly good food.

The boken isn't "leftovers are bad", it's "people having intention of eating leftovers, forgetting about it until it becomes inedible and not learning from it".

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

riderchop posted:

Brilliant!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: Green Door in which Lottie channels Elaine Benes

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Do you remember the world before internet mattresses? Before a podcast would offer you a 20% discount code for a mattress in a box that you could return after 100 days if you weren’t totally satisfied? I’ve slept on a few of them. I was far, far from totally satisfied. SNAKE OIL!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sneezi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/21/02

Brenda Starr 4/28-30/49

Smokey Stover 9/11/49

Spoilered for incidental racism.

If you're curious, "Chinaman's chance" was a slang phrase meaning "no chance."

Everyday Movies 7/1/35

"Could I bother you, Miss Gordon, to take a little dictation when you finish typing your chain letters?"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 22, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Weembles posted:

I use a cheap document scanner I got at Walmart years ago, and when I scan I weigh the book down with some paperbacks to make sure I get the page as flat as possible. Samovar's suggestion of just using a phone cam is probably all you need though.

I should add again that the books I'm getting Prince Valiant from are the excellent Fantagraphics collections, and I urge anyone who has been enjoying the strip to buy a few if they can. They are beautiful oversized collections and have some extra art and articles that I have been excluding so that anyone who buys some has extra content to look forward to.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 16, 1952)

Arn isn't big enough to be a true badass yet, but he's trying. :3:

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 22, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What a wonderful Valiant strip. :allears: The one thing you think might save you from Boltar, being on horseback and out of range, and he just hurls his axe into a man's chest or worse. Boltar knocks at any range!

riderchop posted:

I sincerely think that sharing the top 3 with Prince Valiant, Arlo and Janis may be the best strip in the thread. Just doing everything right so consistently, gut laugh punchlines, wonderful characterization and across decades of gag a day!

Jucika "414 - Jucika And The Hidden Gift"

"415 - Jucika At A B.Y.O.B. Party"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume in the back. It's a good throw to hit the man but leave the horse ridable.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

I use a cheap document scanner I got at Walmart years ago, and when I scan I weigh the book down with some paperbacks to make sure I get the page as flat as possible. Samovar's suggestion of just using a phone cam is probably all you need though.

I should add again that the books I'm getting Prince Valiant from are the excellent Fantagraphics collections, and I urge anyone who has been enjoying the strip to buy a few if they can. They are beautiful oversized collections and have some extra art and articles that I have been excluding so that anyone who buys some has extra content to look forward to.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 16, 1952)

Arn isn't big enough to be a true badass yet, but he's trying. :3:

Tillicum basically just being turtle island Val is kinda cool

Fantagraphics is a great label. Maybe I'll pick up a few Vals at SPX in a few weeks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

Volume 8's been out of stock for months now :argh:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

So are we done with the "Reading is Maaaagic" little girl and the Precious Moment hat-elves and the philosophical penguins, or are we going back to those after a quick "Architect you have never heard of has a tiny penis" aside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arbetor posted:

So are we done with the "Reading is Maaaagic" little girl and the Precious Moment hat-elves and the philosophical penguins, or are we going back to those after a quick "Architect you have never heard of has a tiny penis" aside?

I think this is just a one-off, not a sign of a permanent change. Macanudo does that sometimes. But you can be sure that the quality is always consistent(ly terrible)!