Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Company-wide all-hands meeting on Monday.

The CEO says:
Company made record revenue for Q4 (ends in July) and FY22
Company made record profits for Q4, but just shy of record for FY22
Company is focused on backfilling talent from a wave of recent departures
Company is adding a focus on research and development
Company is increasing all prices by 5-10% (depends on product) to combat inflation and the weakening US dollar
Company is afraid of "approaching hurricane" which basically boils down to the minimum corporate tax rate and potential recession

Also:
Company has instituted a blanket hiring freeze, blatantly contradicting the above.
Company is not doing any cost of living adjustments for anyone, despite record everything.
Company instituted stack rankings for performance reviews; one must both be successful/exceptional AND in the top half of their team to be eligible for (minimal) merit raises. This will drive away more talent.
Company will grant stock (RSUs) to employees who gain an exceptional review; it will have a 'lengthy' vesting period. This is a loving joke compared to actual merit increases.
Company is asking everyone to take an extra week of UNPAID vacation to "stave off layoffs". What the gently caress?
Company said "this is your JFK moment: ask not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company." gently caress that

You're misreading the first bullet points. "Record profits" doesn't mean "we have more money to reinvest in the company and talent." It means "our investors expect this to be the new benchmark for dividends and we are now required to cut costs to ensure that happens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KillHour posted:

You're misreading the first bullet points. "Record profits" doesn't mean "we have more money to reinvest in the company and talent." It means "our investors expect this to be the new benchmark for dividends and we are now required to cut costs to ensure that happens."

Oh I know, but it is still absolute bullshit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, for entirely unrelated reasons, I applied to 16 jobs today.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Ganbare, Karoshi-san

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is how a union here announced the result of a strike ballot for postal service workers

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1559942242739036161

That is the best thing I've ever seen.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

This is how a union here announced the result of a strike ballot for postal service workers

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1559942242739036161

This might be my favorite image on the internet this week.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

Company said "this is your JFK moment: ask not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company." gently caress that

ConfusedUs posted:

Nice to see you're doing your part to cut their payroll budget :golfclap:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

they called it the Dealey Plaza 360 because you take one look at your JFK Moment and do a 180 into a Jack Ruby Moment

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ConfusedUs posted:

Company-wide all-hands meeting on Monday.

The US Dollar is many things, but weakening it is not. It’s a huge problem for American companies that want to sell things overseas, as well as countries with USD denominated debt facilities. Raising prices is a reasonable response to that, but it’s the strong dollar that’s the problem for the world, not a weak one.

The flip side of this is of course that imports are cheaper which reduces domestic inflation in the domestic market. Not a bad time to have a current account deficit.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thanks Ants posted:

Are new contracts significantly worse than the ones existing staff are on?

When has this ever not been the case?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arquinsiel posted:

Like a divorce, sometimes you gotta give the other party something they want in order to do what’s best for yourself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Client: It's all broken again, why can't you fix it properly :argh:
Me: We've been sending you quotes for three years to replace your end of life equipment, and explaining the problems caused by keeping old stuff around. Also moving to a new ISP will save you money each month so your bill will go down and the service will be better
Client: Send me those quotes again please and I'll sign them
Me: I'll have sales run the pricing again and send them across this week

[Months pass]

Client: It's all broken again, why can't you fix it properly :argh:

:jerkbag:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Had something similar this week.

Client: Fix our old-rear end Exchange 2010 box!
Me: Uh sure, when can we schedule the downtime?
Client: Downtime? Completely unacceptable!
Me: Alright then, here's our quote, our out of scope and after hours rates apply-
Client: No, we do not expect to be charged for this. Normal service must be restored by start of business tomorrow.
Me: Fine, sort it out with my boss.

I'm fairly sure their contract doesn't cover emergency after hours work on products that have been end of life for years but I'm just a lowly tech, what do I know?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bargearse posted:

Had something similar this week.

Client: Fix our old-rear end Exchange 2010 box!
Me: Uh sure, when can we schedule the downtime?
Client: Downtime? Completely unacceptable!
Me: Alright then, here's our quote, our out of scope and after hours rates apply-
Client: No, we do not expect to be charged for this. Normal service must be restored by start of business tomorrow.
Me: Fine, sort it out with my boss.

I'm fairly sure their contract doesn't cover emergency after hours work on products that have been end of life for years but I'm just a lowly tech, what do I know?

lol they'll agree to pay, the company will send them a huge bill, you'll get none of if it except for all the afterhours, work of course.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
my last 48 hours have been spent dealing with workstations where the user's Office 365 account would no longer authenticate, causing every single Office 365 app to break. The documentation was useless, support staff were clueless, the google fixes didn't resolve it, and we ended up completely deleting user profiles and then helping users log back in and re-set up all their poo poo for %10 of our employees.

anybody dealt with issues like this before? This feels like the kind of poo poo that O365 tenants would deal with all the time, and would have quick and simple solutions, but none of the search results I found pointed at this specific issue. (except for the handful of cases where sysadmins had to do the exact same poo poo we did to fix this loving problem. gently caress you microsoft.)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

did you check credential manager

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

we tried:

clearing all Office and Onedrive creds in cred manager.
deleting every registry key we could find related to office authentication and credentials
deleting appdata folders related to OneAuth and office
re-installing office and just about anything else O365-related
signing out of office and trying to sign back in (we couldn't)

probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not recalling, we're all pretty punchy from the last two days.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 19, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you AD synced and using seamless SSO? Are you redirecting the product activation status to a network share?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-shared-computer-activation

https://admx.help/?Category=Office2016&Policy=office16.Office.Microsoft.Policies.Windows::L_SCLCacheOverride

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We dealt with that issue too and deleting user profiles was what we also ended up doing. It was probably less than 5% of our users and it seemed to happen most often when upgrading from Office 2016 to O365

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

capitalcomma posted:

my last 48 hours have been spent dealing with workstations where the user's Office 365 account would no longer authenticate, causing every single Office 365 app to break. The documentation was useless, support staff were clueless, the google fixes didn't resolve it, and we ended up completely deleting user profiles and then helping users log back in and re-set up all their poo poo for %10 of our employees.

anybody dealt with issues like this before? This feels like the kind of poo poo that O365 tenants would deal with all the time, and would have quick and simple solutions, but none of the search results I found pointed at this specific issue. (except for the handful of cases where sysadmins had to do the exact same poo poo we did to fix this loving problem. gently caress you microsoft.)

We had that with ent monthly 2205, using the office activation support assistant on the issue machines fixed it 🤷‍♂️

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

turns out something is removing a critical package from user machines :thumbsup:

"get-appxpackage microsoft.AAD.brokerplugin" returned no package for the affected users. re-installing from the computer's repo fixed it instantly.

now we get to figure out what's loving with windows 10 dependencies!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jesus Christ this thread is still active

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Jesus Christ this thread is still active

:lol:

Gotta get up to Sea for a game soon

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

apparently there's a lot that pisses IT people off, who would have known? :-D

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

1668 pages of joy rage

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Left my personal laptop charger at work when I left for the weekend. @&!#!!! My old laptops are noticeably slower. But I'm sure happy to have them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No USB-C charging?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I work for an MSP anyway I had to park in the valet parking garage for a visit to this client.

I tell the office manager I need my parking validated. "Why should I bother? Your company will reimburse you for parking." True but it can take a month to get reimbursed and I would be spending my personal funds to park in your building that really isn't right is it? Inflation is bad and I have expenses to worry about."

I've never had a client fight back on validating parking in their building... But I did get my parking validated however they didn't like me complaining about it and asked that I never be sent to them again.

My boss didn't care as this is a known troublesome client.

I got a job offer and will be leaving the MSP world shortly but I just had to laugh at this. The gall to ask for parking validation and express that I too am human being just like you with financial needs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Arquinsiel posted:

My favorite quitting-job story was opening the conversation with “Hey $boss, I figured how to save $company $salary a year!”

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Super-NintendoUser posted:

lol they'll agree to pay, the company will send them a huge bill, you'll get none of if it except for all the afterhours, work of course.

That's how it's been at literally every MSP I've ever worked for.

Either way, ticket's escalated, it's my boss's problem now.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Left my personal laptop charger at work when I left for the weekend. @&!#!!! My old laptops are noticeably slower. But I'm sure happy to have them.

Other than my phone and my iPad (and my watch), everything I own that isn’t stationary can be charged with USB-C and it truly is magical.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where could I go to ask about why a youtube video that had chapters a day or two ago doesn't have any at all now? I don't think it's worth its own topic in tech support but if this isn't the place simply point me towards it. Because it really pisses me off

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Chromebook cart I was unable to help straighten out has now been named Sheila.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I just found an old NEC PowerMate 486 at a client's site and they actually want me to do some work on it. My hobby of tinkering with ancient computers that should have gone to e-recycling decades ago is actually getting some use.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

What use for an old-as-dirt 486 could a modern office possibly have?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

They just want me to determine what's on it and if there's anything they need to keep for regulatory reasons. Bottom of the list low priority job.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Curious what regulations would go back that long.

But I'd find messing with a 486 pretty fun nowadays.

I haven't installed 86box... yet.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Pharmaceutical industry. I'm not sure what specific regulations are involved but I get the feeling they don't want to run afoul of some obscure line in the GMP fine print.

It's not likely to have anything but old-rear end chromatography results on it anyway. I kind of didn't notice what thread I was in, getting paid to dick around with ancient relics is the opposite of poo poo that pisses me off.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

teethgrinder posted:

When I worked at a civil engineering firm, we were required to keep some architectural documents for landfills for 50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"How would you like to be contacted regarding this support case - phone call or email?"
"Email please"
"Sure thing!"

*rings phone repeatedly, leaves a voicemail saying they will call back*