Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

First time Japanese curry (from scratch)

Verdict: I'd be willing to try from someone who really knows what they're doing but the schnitzel was the best bit and I'd rather have that in another style. Guess I'll make curry bread with the leftover curry anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Made some paella.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Testing out my german-made spaetzel maker making spaghettieis, with a little bit of lingonberry jam (I was out of strawberry) as the "bolognese". I think I may have mortally offended the german people by implying that somehow, there was a chance that it wouldn't hold up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

NLJP posted:

First time Japanese curry (from scratch)

Verdict: I'd be willing to try from someone who really knows what they're doing but the schnitzel was the best bit and I'd rather have that in another style. Guess I'll make curry bread with the leftover curry anyway.

Did you use a base? I've not done Japanese curry but find no reason to make my own Thai paste.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Did you use a base? I've not done Japanese curry but find no reason to make my own Thai paste.
They said "from scratch"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My impression (based on nothing first-hand) is that the Japanese make curry almost exclusively from a base and Thais almost exclusively make their paste fresh. Have I misinformed myself?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Made some paella.

Good looking paella!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Torquemada posted:

My impression (based on nothing first-hand) is that the Japanese make curry almost exclusively from a base and Thais almost exclusively make their paste fresh. Have I misinformed myself?

No but there's no reason you can't just DIY

I mean, it's roux and spices. Not complicated.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Necromancy postin a dinner from 2 weeks ago because it was 12 hours too late for an ICSA entry and I still feel proud of it :shobon:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that looks seriously good

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BrianBoitano posted:

Necromancy postin a dinner from 2 weeks ago because it was 12 hours too late for an ICSA entry and I still feel proud of it :shobon:

You should stoll feel proud of that. I really liked the rolls.

Further content:

I did not feel like cooking tonight. Thankfully the young'un only wanted mac and cheese, so I fried up some spam and boiled some peas and threw it all in the same pot in the end.

Post lazy garbage itt if ur a cool dude.:cool:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks y'all! I'd destroy that mac too :burger:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Made a calzone for the first time in years. The last one I made was a disaster. This spinach pie came out pretty flawless!

Spinach, black olives, garlic, tiny bit of ricotta. Simple stuff,

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Looks very good, nice and thin crust. Spinach and cheese is such a great filling for filled pastry / bread things, love me a borek or spanakopita.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
drat, that looks great

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

3 gallons of borscht. Short rib, pork belly, marrow and guanciale since I couldn’t find ham hock. Short rib is $10/lb at most places now, up from $6/lb, but Mexican marts sell off cuts for $5/lb

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Clean your stove!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Drink and Fight posted:

Clean your stove!

you think making that much borsch is a clean operation? laughable.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

you think making that much borsch is a clean operation? laughable.

I was thinking that but then I looked at the burner/element...

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Drink and Fight posted:

Clean your stove!

It's called seasoning, look it up!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every time I put in new foil I can’t see the burner flame anymore

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Had some frozen chicken in the freezer I wanted to get rid of so I made fajitas.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So comforting, this pic reached through my screen and gave me a hug. Nice work.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Leftover brisket trimmings actually made a hell of a good sesame beef stir fry.

Added peppers and snap peas for a bit of fiber.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Made some Korean for lunch, gochujang roast chicken, rice, spicy cucumber salad, seasoned bean sprouts, bok choy with doenjang.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BBQ spread

Chopped pork with hot/mild NC vinegar sauces.
Ribs and turkey breast with LF blueberry peach bourbon BBQ sauce.

Mac and cheese, grilled corn with lacto fermented blueberry paste.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 5, 2022

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

toplitzin posted:

Chopped pork with hot/mild NC vinegar sauces.
Ribs and turkey breast with LF blueberry peach bourbon BBQ sauce.

Mac and cheese, grilled corn with lacto fermented blueberry paste.

:drat: :drat: :drat: :drat: :drat: :drat: :drat: :drat:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agreed, that looks amazing :cheers:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Lemon Pepper Wings!

All the lemon zest must have melted on the grill. Next time I’ll save some for plating.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 5, 2022

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Pork dumplings.

Pork mince, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, chilli, mushroom, spring onion, carrot, oyster sauce and msg in the filling.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Work from home lunch I was quite pleased with:

Pasta with roasted butternut squash, blended with cream, a bit of lemon juice, smoked paprika, thinned out with pasta water. Some leftover mushrooms and toasted pumpkin seeds on top.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So for reasons I can't explain I've been obsessed with the idea that this pound of pork shoulder in my freezer and this eggplant I have no plants for must join together in a meal. After about 3 days and 46 chrome tabs and a new valve for my instant pot I have triumphed.

Pork shoulder was cooked sort of the way I made carnitas, but spiced up for something a lot more like kaffteh. Crisped up under the broiler until it was extra crispy and near pork floss levels.
Roasted up the eggplant, and had intended at the start to make it into a pureed soup, but at the last second had the inspiration to make a roux and toss just enough water in to make it not mashed potato consistency and then threw flavorful liquids at it until it tasted right (RIP my glass of wine). High level of fat to stock/water/wine because eggplant loves olive oil and it seemed like the right call. Served the eggplant mess over rice and topped with crispy pork. Decided it needed some acid and since I am out of pickles it got a light sprinkle of capers and olives.

There are no pictures because wow is this a bland looking dish.

edit: Rice was unnecessary, wish I wasn't too lazy to have made a flatbread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So for reasons I can't explain I've been obsessed with the idea that this pound of pork shoulder in my freezer and this eggplant I have no plants for must join together in a meal. After about 3 days and 46 chrome tabs and a new valve for my instant pot I have triumphed.

Pork shoulder was cooked sort of the way I made carnitas, but spiced up for something a lot more like kaffteh. Crisped up under the broiler until it was extra crispy and near pork floss levels.
Roasted up the eggplant, and had intended at the start to make it into a pureed soup, but at the last second had the inspiration to make a roux and toss just enough water in to make it not mashed potato consistency and then threw flavorful liquids at it until it tasted right (RIP my glass of wine). High level of fat to stock/water/wine because eggplant loves olive oil and it seemed like the right call. Served the eggplant mess over rice and topped with crispy pork. Decided it needed some acid and since I am out of pickles it got a light sprinkle of capers and olives.

There are no pictures because wow is this a bland looking dish.

edit: Rice was unnecessary, wish I wasn't too lazy to have made a flatbread

There’s always moussaka

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

I got in the mood for some gochujang chicken

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I got in the mood for some gochujang chicken

Looks good!

I made broccoli, lentils and burrata, topped with toasted garlic. Plating is a bit haphazard but it was very good. From the excellent book Greenfeast by Nigel Slater.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

Looks good!

I made broccoli, lentils and burrata, topped with toasted garlic. Plating is a bit haphazard but it was very good. From the excellent book Greenfeast by Nigel Slater.

That looks good, I might have to do some lentils tomorrow, don't eat them nearly often enough.

I did chilli garlic chicken, miso slaw and corn.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Raikiri posted:

That looks good, I might have to do some lentils tomorrow, don't eat them nearly often enough.

I had a similar impulse

That's some nice moist looking chicken btw, good job

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

The weather is finally cooling off here, so I made Chef John's mulligatawny, which he had on his channel recently. Video here, if you haven't seen it: https://youtu.be/gVHKm0AXsMQ

It was pretty drat good. I did end up riffing on it, though, it was not a 1:1 recreation. I did breasts instead of thighs (just a texture thing for me), and I did about twice the amount of potato because I wanted it thicker and chunkier, which worked great.

He calls for two stages during the simmer where you add the chicken back in about halfway through. At this point I tasted for seasoning and decided it needed some further modification. From the start I suspected that his measurements for the spices might be kind of light considering the amount of liquid going in, and that was totally the case. Not that the soup wasn't tasty at this point, but it had a very mirepoix-heavy flavor that was very celery forward. It was like a good homemade chicken soup that happened to have some Indian spices in it. I decided to add the following on top of what was already in there:

2 tsp fresh grated ginger (approx)
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I should have just done more than the 4 cloves from the start)
1/4 tsp cayenne
another dollop of tamarind paste, a teaspoon and a half, maybe

This did the trick. The mirepoix flavor was still there, but it wasn't trying to fight the warm spices any more.

Topped with a little greek yogurt, green onion, and allepo pepper. The apple was very mellow, which surprised me. I was expecting more apple-tartness, especially with the tamarind, but it was more like a sneaky afterthought. Overall quite enjoyable, and leftovers were even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Deep fried eggplant is the best eggplant will ever be. I hate all other preparations of it. Squeaky, spongy, soggy, flavorless.