Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah if it was a flat $5 a month I would definitely have a cellular watch.

It’s not like $10 a month is a lot I just wouldn’t use it nearly enough and $5 is the price where I wouldn’t think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

$120 per year is probably worth it to me to occasionally run or swim without my phone but still have emergency cell connectivity

but i'd rather bleed out in the street unable to call for help than cough up the ~$600/year the big three fatcats are demanding

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah if it was a flat $5 a month I would definitely have a cellular watch.

It’s not like $10 a month is a lot I just wouldn’t use it nearly enough and $5 is the price where I wouldn’t think about it.
T-Mobile in the US has a $5 (taxes and fees included) Watch plan that caps you at 500MB, but that’s basically enough for me to stream some music and podcasts on a few trips out phone-less, so I’m basically in this bucket.

e: but yeah to be clear I overpay for cell service on the whole with a Magenta plan

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Keep in mind that it’s $10 + whatever bullshit fees your carrier wants to arbitrarily charge you. On ATT, my “$10” plan is actually $15. Administrative fee, my rear end.

That said, I run without my phone, so I love having cellular.

Don’t worry, both ATT and Verizon raised their fees, so it’s probably now $16 for your watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fourwood posted:

T-Mobile in the US has a $5 (taxes and fees included) Watch plan that caps you at 500MB, but that’s basically enough for me to stream some music and podcasts on a few trips out phone-less, so I’m basically in this bucket.

e: but yeah to be clear I overpay for cell service on the whole with a Magenta plan

Hmm I have a $20 iPad plan. If I could add another $5 for the watch I’d definitely do that. I’ll have to look into that when the 8 releases.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If I remember correctly Xfinity is just the $10 a month fee with no additional admin or setup fees. However your watch data is rolled up to its parents phone for tracking usage.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So my kid predictably dropped her SE, shattered the corner of the screen, and then went swimming. It's now not turning on.

Is there some reduced-price repair, or am I stuck just buying a new one? It's only 6 weeks old or so.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So my kid predictably dropped her SE, shattered the corner of the screen, and then went swimming. It's now not turning on.

Is there some reduced-price repair, or am I stuck just buying a new one? It's only 6 weeks old or so.

Do you have applecare?

Did you buy it on a credit card? Some credit cards offer 60/90 day damage or theft coverage, but at 6 weeks time is of the essence on that one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

What Pilfered said.

You can also go here and get an estimate on an out of warranty repair: https://support.apple.com/watch/repair

I punched in the info for the base SE and an OOW repair is $219 (a new SE is $279).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Do you have applecare?

Did you buy it on a credit card? Some credit cards offer 60/90 day damage or theft coverage, but at 6 weeks time is of the essence on that one.

Nope

Checked my card:

quote:

Included with Your Card
Go ahead and shop! If an item is purchased with your Citi card and/or your Costco credit card reward certificate and is damaged or stolen within 120 days (90 days for New York residents) of purchase or delivery of the item, whichever is first, the item may be repaired or you may be reimbursed up to the amount charged on your Citi card and/or your Costco credit card reward certificate. You’re covered for up to $1,000 per item, up to $50,000 per year, per Citi card account.

Sweet! Thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nope

Checked my card:

Sweet! Thanks!

Awesome! Get on that ASAP. Those windows are small and the repair via apple takes like 1-2 weeks.

Also, consider adding applecare. Cost of repair is like $70 per damage incident.

Children should always have applecare, especially on something as fragile as the Apple Watch.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Awesome! Get on that ASAP. Those windows are small and the repair via apple takes like 1-2 weeks.

Also, consider adding applecare. Cost of repair is like $70 per damage incident.

Children should always have applecare, especially on something as fragile as the Apple Watch.

I ended up getting a cellular one because I threw my perfectly good wifi one across the room without AppleCare. Ended up getting the wife and I new watches when we didn’t need them. I was waiting for them to redesign them “this year” which now is ok since it seems like that isn’t happening.

Edit: I now agree AppleCare is worth it

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

6 weeks!? Sounds like they aren't responsible enough to own an Apple Watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I'll forward the message on. Thanks for your reply.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

You sound fun.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you're responsibilitying it wrong

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When I break my Apple Watch, it’s a stupid accident that couldn’t be avoided, when you break yours, it’s being careless with something expensive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Don't drop your Apple Watch directly onto bathroom tile in the morning when you're showering. At least my Series 5 got a brand new battery out of it - hopefully this thing lasts until the Series 10 comes out.

Lmao. Every time.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I've had a S7 for a few months now and it's been great, but today I apparently hit the hard cap on the amount of storage you can use for music. Why is the music limit even a thing :confused:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

astr0man posted:

I've had a S7 for a few months now and it's been great, but today I apparently hit the hard cap on the amount of storage you can use for music. Why is the music limit even a thing :confused:

I think it's to avoid the limited local storage being saturated by music so it cannot do upgrades smoothly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lmao. Every time.

This is why I pony up for AppleCare+, and every person giving their children pricey gadgets should, too!

We took my 11 year old niece to the Apple Store after she cracked two of the lenses on her iPhone 12 Pro's camera. It was going to cost $550 out of pocket to replace. Did we get it replaced? Of course not! It was an expensive life lesson. Hopefully she doesn't get water in it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

SlowBloke posted:

I think it's to avoid the limited local storage being saturated by music so it cannot do upgrades smoothly.

It's just a really annoying implementation. If they want to reserve X GB for system updates that's fine, but it's really stupid that the storage page in settings tells me I have 20-something GB of available storage remaining when the actual number is 0.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

This is why I pony up for AppleCare+, and every person giving their children pricey gadgets should, too!

We took my 11 year old niece to the Apple Store after she cracked two of the lenses on her iPhone 12 Pro's camera. It was going to cost $550 out of pocket to replace. Did we get it replaced? Of course not! It was an expensive life lesson. Hopefully she doesn't get water in it.

I respect your bravery on it but there's no way I'd give my daughter (similar age) a Pro. She's got an old SE, which I feel like is what those are made for.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey so the new Apple Watch is set to be announced on sep 7th, pretty excited this will be my first ever Apple Watch I own, I hope they improve the battery a little for the next release.

Is the Apple Watch safe to swim with? I am working out heavily these days and occasionally swim, but my cheap fitness band isn’t quite cutting it anymore and it’s the primary reason I’m upgrading to Apple Watch. I just don’t want to risk taking a dip or showering and then finding out this thing can’t handle water.

Also how good is setting scheduling calendars with Siri voice on it? It would be nice to say ‘hey Siri set a time for twerking on sep 8th’ easily.

Is there a difference in battery performance between the 41 mm and the 45mm? I’m aiming for the latter.

Also does the Watch have a fart app?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I go in the water all the time with mine. Ocean and pool with no issues.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I use my watch in the pool, shower, ocean, etc all the time. No worries there unless you have a cracked screen.

Don't count on the battery life being longer. Apple has stuck with their "18 hours" for the better part of a decade now. It's something they absolutely refuse to change, despite it, in my eyes, being the biggest downfall of the product (my personal battery curses excluded). The quality of life with this watch would be so much higher if I didn't have to worry about charging it at 6pm after using it for a year.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey so the new Apple Watch is set to be announced on sep 7th, pretty excited this will be my first ever Apple Watch I own, I hope they improve the battery a little for the next release.

Is the Apple Watch safe to swim with? I am working out heavily these days and occasionally swim, but my cheap fitness band isn’t quite cutting it anymore and it’s the primary reason I’m upgrading to Apple Watch. I just don’t want to risk taking a dip or showering and then finding out this thing can’t handle water.

Also how good is setting scheduling calendars with Siri voice on it? It would be nice to say ‘hey Siri set a time for twerking on sep 8th’ easily.

Is there a difference in battery performance between the 41 mm and the 45mm? I’m aiming for the latter.

Also does the Watch have a fart app?
The short version is yes it’s waterproof for e.g. surface-level swimming or showering or whatever, but Apple does not cover water damage under warranty so if something goes wrong you’re SOL.

I don’t swim but I shower with mine on occasionally and take it into lakes/ocean every once in a while and it hasn’t been a problem for me for like 5 years now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah I use my watch in the pool, shower, ocean, etc all the time. No worries there unless you have a cracked screen.

Don't count on the battery life being longer. Apple has stuck with their "18 hours" for the better part of a decade now. It's something they absolutely refuse to change, despite it, in my eyes, being the biggest downfall of the product (my personal battery curses excluded). The quality of life with this watch would be so much higher if I didn't have to worry about charging it at 6pm after using it for a year.

This is really strange, you’d think they’d manage to get it to 24 hours at this point, is the battery life a huge hassle? How does it compare to competition like Samsung or Fitbit? Does it end up running out on you at inconvenient times often?

Anyways, we’ll see what they’re up to on the 7th, it would be really crazy of them to not up battery life a little given how little is expected to change from last years model.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I have been using Watch since they debuted and I've never had an issue with the battery. I wear it all day for the most part. I even wear it to sleep so the alarm wakes me up. Throw it on the charger for a little while before you go to bed, while you sleep, or showering, getting ready for work, whatever. It doesn't take long to charge.

I do not understand the complaints about the battery life. It's a device with a small battery for obvious reasons that's constantly talking to your phone and/or internet.

If you really want to conserve battery life you can do things like turn on theater mode or disable notifications for apps, but then you're into janitor territory.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They stick with "18 hours" because that's the minimum they expect you'll get in regular usage. Virtually everyone sees way more than that. I've used 24% in 7 hours, including a workout.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I can get up to 36 hours, if I don't do a workout. AW6, AOD disabled, tho.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Al-Saqr posted:

This is really strange, you’d think they’d manage to get it to 24 hours at this point, is the battery life a huge hassle? How does it compare to competition like Samsung or Fitbit? Does it end up running out on you at inconvenient times often?

Anyways, we’ll see what they’re up to on the 7th, it would be really crazy of them to not up battery life a little given how little is expected to change from last years model.

People have bought them by the truckload at 18 hours, it’s clearly not enough of a concern to design around. Slim design is more important to them, it’s had a very similar size battery since the series 3.

One of the selling points for me on the 7 series was the faster charging. I wear it all day, so I can pop it on the charger when I get home at like 35% and it’s topped off before I head out the door again that evening. For my use it hits 24h most days pretty easy.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
do yall not just use the raise to see the screen thing, my battery life goes down by like 30-40% in a day at most and thats with me using some fairly intensive tracking apps for my biking

i will say i do wish there was some easy way to toggle that on/off so when i'm biking the screen would just stay on

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

do yall not just use the raise to see the screen thing, my battery life goes down by like 30-40% in a day at most and thats with me using some fairly intensive tracking apps for my biking

i will say i do wish there was some easy way to toggle that on/off so when i'm biking the screen would just stay on

The solution to that is to buy a model that has an always on display :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am salivating for the new model. I’m lucky if I don’t get the 20% warning by 5pm most days now, that’s with one hour long morning jog with the activity activated on the watch, and maybe some light 5 minute walks around the yard playing with my dog.

Is there any noticeable benefit to still reverting to a raise-to-look face vs always-on? Or has Tim Apple actually done the work so the loss is negligible? I think I might honestly like that better, on consideration, but I’d have to make my decision after trying always-on, I guess. Like if I can wrench an extra hour out of raise-to-look then that’s a no brainer for me.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i wear my s4 all day and all night and at 82% battery health i dont often run into a scenario where i am out somewhere and it's about to die. i do workout activities at least once per day, for an hour or more. i can mostly get away with charging it while i am showering, but it is getting noticeably worse. at most i have to charge it at night every so often and annoy my gf with my wakeup alarm on my phone instead of the wrist tap thing.

looking forward to the s8 though, this thing is starting to show its age

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m honestly not sure what the average battery life of a 4 should be at this point, but I have zero problem believing that your experience is typical and my battery is prematurely aged. Batteries can be funny like that. I’m not terribly worried since WFH covid kind of means I’m not really out away all that often so it’s never really been an issue. All the same, I’m very excited to upgrade this year. I guess 2022 is the year I swap the watch, and the phone will have to wait for USB-C

As far as showing its age, I actually have the opposite impression. I don’t think mine has slowed down appreciably at all, but that may just be a factor of how little interactivity I do with it. Aside from the battery life issues, it feels fairly snappy (I won’t pretend to remember what it was like on day one, however), tells me the time, tracks my activity, sometimes acts as a phone media remote, acts as my mobile NFC wallet, and generally just shows notifications. But that’s reeeeally I really want my watch to do anyway, so I’m pretty happy :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 27, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
maybe it's not showing its age, maybe it's just that the home app sucks rear end. it's so slow it's completely useless to do anything. i can take my phone out of my pocket, unlock, open home, and turn on whatever stupid smart home thing i want before the watch finishes updating accessories. similar with the atv remote app.

i have nothing else to compare it to, so my assumption could be way off.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My 78% health S4 is at like 30-40% by 5p with no workouts and just walking around. I need to do a pm charge so I can sleep with it as I love the alarm function.

I really need to thread the needle to close rings AND have enough time to charge.

Looking forward to the next release. Curious about this pro and what it'd have that would be compelling. Hell, a case redesign might be enough just to mix it up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I really hope Apple doesn’t go insane and actually charge 900 dollars for their Apple Watch Pro, that would be genuinely crazy.

I am into fitness and stuff but 900 dollars for it would be truly beyond any reasonable cost, especially if the battery isn’t significantly better than the normal Watch.