Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

GreenMarine posted:

It's nice. Do wish it had iib sponsons as an option. The ones that look like a bunker.

I guess that's technically an "armored" proteus?

HELL YEAH.

adamantium|wang posted:

i think you'll find it's glacial

all we ever get are things announced. Glacial!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I so want an armored proteus.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I just bought the resin armoured proteus less than a week ago. 🤔

Let me know what other kits you want in plastic and I’ll go make poor financial choices there too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Despoilers, duuuh!

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Mr Teatime posted:

I just bought the resin armoured proteus less than a week ago. 🤔

Let me know what other kits you want in plastic and I’ll go make poor financial choices there too.

jump pack marines, bikes, and heavy weapons that aren't bolters and missile launchers. TIA!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Yeah, if you could stock up on MkII and MkV, specifically Assault Marines, that would be great.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Combi-weapons and anyone equipped with nemesis bolters, please.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of nemesis bolters, parts for mine came in and I got the seekers mostly ready (heads and backpacks separate as usual, have to figure out how I'm going to do a shoulder cloak on the right side, then it's painting time). Turns out Anvil saves the day again.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Finished this Leviathan for my Death Guard. Had a lot of fun painting and building it.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Me: Oh boy, it's Zone Mortalis day! I hope my buddy doesn't bring Stone Gauntlet...
Narrator: He brought Stone Gauntlet.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

BirdieBedtime posted:

Me: Oh boy, it's Zone Mortalis day! I hope my buddy doesn't bring Stone Gauntlet...
Narrator: He brought Stone Gauntlet.

gross. I hope you politely told him it wasnt fun. Alternatively, deploy the contemptors....

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now that its been a few months, how are you all liking the new edition?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

The core of the edition is quite good, with some iffy quality in the army lists (which may be an understatement with Mech). I'd take it over 1.0 any day.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Do the plastic contemptor weapon kits come with the necessary bits for fitting them to the forgeworld resin dreadnoughts?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mr Teatime posted:

Do the plastic contemptor weapon kits come with the necessary bits for fitting them to the forgeworld resin dreadnoughts?

Sprue 1 (the sprue in the AoD kit, with the AC/las/HB) does. Sprue 2 (conversion beamer/volkite) is missing the two rectangular blocks that the arm slots into the shoulder with, so you would need a copy of sprue 1 (or cast or printed spare blocks) to fit them.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

gross. I hope you politely told him it wasnt fun. Alternatively, deploy the contemptors....

After the game, where he only lost a whole two Warders (cause he also brought Rann), he admitted that he probably wouldn't run Stone Gauntlet again. We did agree that, since it was game one of a campaign, we're going to keep track of how many Warders die and hold him to that for each subsequent game. Better use em wisely cause they're all he's got!

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm enjoying the way the game works but I'm not enjoying how hard it is to pull rules out of these drat books or any of the weird little frowny bits that pop up. The index for the core book is missing half the rules and the Libers don't even have one. Chaplains can't join Ashen Circle anymore - why? What member of the rules team got beat down in 1.0 by that mediocre combination? Why are Grim Purpose and Bitter Duty different rules? Why does paying extra points for the special Word Bearers plasma cannon on a Dreadnought lower the blast size? Okay I don't need to get on that tangent again. It's a fun game once both players get a handle on the rules - having one player with decent 2.0 experience and one player without is rough.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sprue 1 (the sprue in the AoD kit, with the AC/las/HB) does. Sprue 2 (conversion beamer/volkite) is missing the two rectangular blocks that the arm slots into the shoulder with, so you would need a copy of sprue 1 (or cast or printed spare blocks) to fit them.

That’s….certainly an interesting design choice. :psyduck:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mr Teatime posted:

That’s….certainly an interesting design choice. :psyduck:

It's a consequence of designing the sprue for the combined plastic kit first (where they don't want or need extras, since you only get the two arms anyway) and then parting out the weapon sprues as an afterthought. I wouldn't be surprised if it just got caught too late to be fixed.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm enjoying the way the game works but I'm not enjoying how hard it is to pull rules out of these drat books or any of the weird little frowny bits that pop up. The index for the core book is missing half the rules and the Libers don't even have one.

Yeah, this is my main criticism of the new rules so far and it's nothing wrong with the rules proper--things just aren't really laid out in any comprehensive way.

I've enjoyed pretty much everything else.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I want some feedback on my plan for the marines and terminators from the box for my iron warriors army.

-two legion tactical squads with shrapnel bolters
-two sets of 10 man iron havocs, 10 with lascannons and 10 with autocannons
-two sets of iron dominator cohorts, 5 with graviton crushers,5 with chain fists, and 2 armed with reaper autocannons

Any big mistakes I'm making here? Any tactical holes need filling?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lucinice posted:

So I want some feedback on my plan for the marines and terminators from the box for my iron warriors army.

-two legion tactical squads with shrapnel bolters
-two sets of 10 man iron havocs, 10 with lascannons and 10 with autocannons
-two sets of iron dominator cohorts, 5 with graviton crushers,5 with chain fists, and 2 armed with reaper autocannons

Any big mistakes I'm making here? Any tactical holes need filling?

Well, a couple things on the Dominators:
  • They're (0-1), so you can only take one unit. Can still model both but you'd only be able to field one at a time, or a mixed unit.
  • Graviton crushers are Character only, and Dominators don't have any characters in the unit. (Regular hammers are better anyway. Better than chainfists for the unit's normal usage, too, imo.)
  • No opinion on reapers personally, though I see other IW tending towards the multimelta for IDing other Terminators.
Otherwise you're probably in good shape. I'd go for a volkite HSS before autocannons (better anti infantry while still handling light vehicles with ease), but you can run autocannons as Havocs for +1BS and Precision Shots at the same points cost, so you're not going wrong building them. They're also more iconic. Are you planning on running a specific rite? Without Hammer of Olympia, shrapnel bolters are a lot less appealing as a weapon swap, but they're very good with it - just will constrain you on deployment.

One thing worth noting: hammers for Dominators, as well as the MkVI autocannons and lascannons (and volkite culverins) are currently very difficult to impossible to get first-party, since the former are sold in very small volumes through FW upgrade kits and the latter aren't released yet with no projected date. If you're in a hurry to get playing I'd reach out to someone with a 3D printer, or find a bits site with suitable imitations of what you're after.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, a couple things on the Dominators:
  • They're (0-1), so you can only take one unit. Can still model both but you'd only be able to field one at a time, or a mixed unit.
  • Graviton crushers are Character only, and Dominators don't have any characters in the unit. (Regular hammers are better anyway. Better than chainfists for the unit's normal usage, too, imo.)
  • No opinion on reapers personally, though I see other IW tending towards the multimelta for IDing other Terminators.

Ah okay I wasn't sure what the (0-1) meant exactly and I forgot about the crushers restriction. I'll probably run the second terminators as normal ones.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Otherwise you're probably in good shape. I'd go for a volkite HSS before autocannons (better anti infantry while still handling light vehicles with ease), but you can run autocannons as Havocs for +1BS and Precision Shots at the same points cost, so you're not going wrong building them. They're also more iconic. Are you planning on running a specific rite? Without Hammer of Olympia, shrapnel bolters are a lot less appealing as a weapon swap, but they're very good with it - just will constrain you on deployment.

One thing worth noting: hammers for Dominators, as well as the MkVI autocannons and lascannons (and volkite culverins) are currently very difficult to impossible to get first-party, since the former are sold in very small volumes through FW upgrade kits and the latter aren't released yet with no projected date. If you're in a hurry to get playing I'd reach out to someone with a 3D printer, or find a bits site with suitable imitations of what you're after.

Yeah I'm running hammer of olympia. I can't run the second ROW because I don't own anything that can take advantage of it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lucinice posted:

Ah okay I wasn't sure what the (0-1) meant exactly and I forgot about the crushers restriction. I'll probably run the second terminators as normal ones.

Yeah I'm running hammer of olympia. I can't run the second ROW because I don't own anything that can take advantage of it.

Sounds good. I'd mix one or two chainfists in with regular power fists to save points, 5 chainfists is probably overkill against everything, but that's your call and it'll make absolutely sure whatever vehicle you're hammering on is dead. The crusher restriction is a little unfortunate, even though they're a downgrade I'd probably run them on Dominators for fun anyway (and I'd definitely run the maces on vets for laughs). You have a pretty good basis going to expand from; I'd probably try and get a third scoring squad in there one way or another, and you'll want to think about either getting transports or expanding the existing squads, but overall good approach.

What HQ(s) are you looking at? Warsmith for the rite requirement, of course.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounds good. I'd mix one or two chainfists in with regular power fists to save points, 5 chainfists is probably overkill against everything, but that's your call and it'll make absolutely sure whatever vehicle you're hammering on is dead. The crusher restriction is a little unfortunate, even though they're a downgrade I'd probably run them on Dominators for fun anyway (and I'd definitely run the maces on vets for laughs). You have a pretty good basis going to expand from; I'd probably try and get a third scoring squad in there one way or another, and you'll want to think about either getting transports or expanding the existing squads, but overall good approach.

What HQ(s) are you looking at? Warsmith for the rite requirement, of course.

I'm hoping to eventually get a breacher squad up and some rhinos. For HQ I'm thinking of a siege breaker.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's a good core for a Space Marine army? The content of the box?
I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so I'm proxying my army, but I don't have any clue about what I'm doing aside from "this looks cool".
I'm going Alpha Legion, and have, in what might be a dick move, 3 Contemptors and 10 Learneans, on top of 2 units of 10 tacticals. I have a pile of marine bodies, that I can turn into whatever.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

What's a good core for a Space Marine army? The content of the box?
I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so I'm proxying my army, but I don't have any clue about what I'm doing aside from "this looks cool".
I'm going Alpha Legion, and have, in what might be a dick move, 3 Contemptors and 10 Learneans, on top of 2 units of 10 tacticals. I have a pile of marine bodies, that I can turn into whatever.

Three Contemptors can be an absolute dick-punch, depending on points level. The rule of thumb I've been seeing is one per 1k points.

Ten-model units of Tacs without Rhinos are pretty vulnerable. I'd consider kicking those up to at least fifteen each.

Snipers (recon marines with Nemesis bolters) are great and very fiction-forward for the XXth. Being able to pick out specific models with wargear upgrades and blow their heads off is super helpful. Headhunters are also super neat, and really only need a different color scheme for differentiate them from the rest of the army - the FW upgrades look nice but are a financial ripoff. Ten of each is probably plenty.

From there I'd think about long-range anti-tank and what kind of leader you'd like for the army. A Master of Signal or Vigilator in that sniper block is another very Alpha Legion vibe, and they're both pretty good too (MoS scrambles communications, makes Deep Strikes tricky, and boosts his unit's shooting ability, while a Vigilator is a better sniper. Not the best the XXth can field, that would be an Exodus operative, but Vigilators can lead an army while Exoduses cannot). Those Lerneans could probably use a buddy, too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Solid, thank you!
I'm 3d printing all my proxies, so I'll add to the tacticals before spending a ton of resin and time on rhinos.
I'll go for the different snipers, and then probably add in som heavy support marines, before going for some kind of tanks.
I've got a Praetor, and I'll be adding a command squad, and some centurions, so I think that'll be a pretty good point to build some lists of different point values.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

Solid, thank you!
I'm 3d printing all my proxies, so I'll add to the tacticals before spending a ton of resin and time on rhinos.
I'll go for the different snipers, and then probably add in som heavy support marines, before going for some kind of tanks.
I've got a Praetor, and I'll be adding a command squad, and some centurions, so I think that'll be a pretty good point to build some lists of different point values.

...aren't rhinos coming out in plastic?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

Not coming out, already out and have been out. Out of stock frequently though.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so I'm proxying my army
Honestly, I'd rather spend my money on something more fun than a bus for my guys. It's a lot cheaper to print a proxy, because I already have the printer, and I keep getting free resin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm enjoying the way the game works but I'm not enjoying how hard it is to pull rules out of these drat books or any of the weird little frowny bits that pop up. The index for the core book is missing half the rules and the Libers don't even have one. Chaplains can't join Ashen Circle anymore - why? What member of the rules team got beat down in 1.0 by that mediocre combination? Why are Grim Purpose and Bitter Duty different rules? Why does paying extra points for the special Word Bearers plasma cannon on a Dreadnought lower the blast size? Okay I don't need to get on that tangent again. It's a fun game once both players get a handle on the rules - having one player with decent 2.0 experience and one player without is rough.

Big same. I didn't think it was possible, but the new book layout kinda sucks in practice. Every time I read the centurion rules at the front of the LA book and then need to flip to the middle of the book to look them up its so dumb. Also breaking up so many entries was super unnecessary imo especially when they just casually went back to having multi unit entries in the mech book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think a lot of the layout issues are the results of trying to placate dumbasses who thought 40k was getting too easy with all the rules were in one place.

(The same people who then printed out a battlescribe list that does this for them.)

And goddamnit I just bought a bunch of custodians because I wanted some loyalists.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Anyone found good alternative walls and doors for ZM? I preordered some GW ones and it's taking forever, have plenty of the tile sets.

Currently working on assembling the starter box and a Kratos.

With Zone mortalis, are 5 man special weapon or heavy weapon squads viable?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Heavy weapon squads lack relentless, so outside of a few legions/builds they're gonna be static. This can be ok, but you usually want to move in ZM. Support squads are probably better for the format, but you can totally use both

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

BULBASAUR posted:

Heavy weapon squads lack relentless, so outside of a few legions/builds they're gonna be static. This can be ok, but you usually want to move in ZM. Support squads are probably better for the format, but you can totally use both

Cheers, might just stick with a small group of tyrant terminators or something if I want longer ranges

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Even with Relentless, without a superbly favorable firing solution they won't get off enough shots to be worth their points before they get introduced to Brother Chainsword.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

BirdieBedtime posted:

Even with Relentless, without a superbly favorable firing solution they won't get off enough shots to be worth their points before they get introduced to Brother Chainsword.

I'm hoping a contemptor and a bonkhammer robot help with this, I haven't got any tartaros termies yet

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Death Guard upgrade kits today. They're good.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

They are. Alpha legion next please!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

For the hobby side of things: the Esoterist lives, pending paint. Makes two characters for my IW now.

e: Three, I also have my old AL Chaplain that's painted legion agnostic.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 26, 2022