Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there were a few in tos, though they existed mostly off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

mediaphage posted:

actually here’s a question - are there any examples in star trek of like really successful extra solar colonies?

it would be expensive to show a bustling urban space city planet so it was mostly matte paintings and hipster villages

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

naem posted:

it would be expensive to show a bustling urban space city planet so it was mostly matte paintings and hipster villages

yeah i totally get why we didn’t see them but i feel like you don’t even get them mentioned in background

for that matter you could still have rural adventures on a populated planet i guess

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Two of the big earth colonies that are now supposedly big and successful are Alpha Centauri (which got independence and is a Federation member itself now) and the Vega colonies, IIRC.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Two of the big earth colonies that are now supposedly big and successful are Alpha Centauri (which got independence and is a Federation member itself now) and the Vega colonies, IIRC.

ah rad thanks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like to imagine some period where Earth was all "Time for an Earxit from the Federation!" and several colonies quietly declared independence and joined the Federation in response.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mediaphage posted:

actually here’s a question - are there any examples in star trek of like really successful extra solar colonies?

There was that amazing city/colony in the delta quadrant populated by famous humans from all over the timeline. It's just over the hill, Amelia Earhart is there!

No you can't see it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I like to imagine some period where Earth was all "Time for an Earxit from the Federation!" and several colonies quietly declared independence and joined the Federation in response.

isn't that basically what happened in future discovery timeline

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mediaphage posted:

Romulus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sorry for being racist but you know i meant humans

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mediaphage posted:

isn't that basically what happened in future discovery timeline

Yeah Earth does that every now and then, that's just how they are

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well there's the asinine libertarian Borg harvesting vajazzle planet from Picard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think a good handwave is probably that those big utopian successful colony worlds exist in Star Trek, it's just that they're not the ones that need the Enterprise making a side-trip out from a Starbase with an urgent medical/food/technology shipment to save them from disaster this week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also a lot of the time they're like "the Enterprise has docked at Starbase gorzon-7" and we never see the surface of the planet but some of those ones with bigass Starbases are probably highly populated colony planets.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think a good handwave is probably that those big utopian successful colony worlds exist in Star Trek, it's just that they're not the ones that need the Enterprise making a side-trip out from a Starbase with an urgent medical/food/technology shipment to save them from disaster this week.

that's a good point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lower Decks being animated has given them great opportunities to show off the more crowded and busy parts of the Federation. The episode with the Dooplers and the annual gala made the Starbase super cool. I'd love to see them go on some more milk runs to population centers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What about that totally successful and completely independent crypto mining libertarian planet which is ruled over by the free market and a few hyper-capitalists but there’s no corruption or crime or any bad things and all the people below the top are very happy and well-treated because everyone just really really respects what the planet has built. Also they have the galaxy’s most badass guns and there’s compulsory military service starting at 13 because everyone there knows the rest of the galaxy is just itching to take over and/or destroy what they have because they’re so jealous.

I don’t remember if it was this thread or another Trek thread but I remember someone posting a Picard(?) writer’s hilarious treatment of a planet idea which was obviously the same writer’s idea of paradise. They’d be one of the hyper-capitalists of course. I think it was real.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Also a lot of the time they're like "the Enterprise has docked at Starbase gorzon-7" and we never see the surface of the planet but some of those ones with bigass Starbases are probably highly populated colony planets.

in tng, even the starbase visits took place mostly off-screen.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first place described as a "Starbase" in TNG was a ground base. Weird that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
is there a star trek episode where one of the characters goes "you know what? a lot of this doesn't really make sense if you think about it."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mozi posted:

is there a star trek episode where one of the characters goes "you know what? a lot of this doesn't really make sense if you think about it."

Star Trek V - "What does God need with a starship?"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Burning_Monk posted:

There was that amazing city/colony in the delta quadrant populated by famous humans from all over the timeline. It's just over the hill, Amelia Earhart is there!

No you can't see it.

So glad we spent the budget on landing the ship.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that is an absolutely miniscule number of ships for hundreds of inhabited worlds. granted, a large percentage of those worlds are insufferable hipster colonies that consist of a single village of 30 people as the sole inhabitants of an entire planet.

Starfleet isn't all the ships those planets have though. The Vulcans for sure have non-starfleet ships, and there's no reason to think other planets don't as well. The Federation won't contact worlds that are not already warp capable, so every member had their own ships before joining. Probably loads of ships that stay in their own star system and only move between the local planets and stations.

Do humans ever have privately owned civilian ships? It seems unlikely since earth has gone all in luxury communism. But on the other hand there could be poo poo like tour boats and cruise ships for people who just want to toot around and experience space travel during their vacation. Or commuter ships for people going to work on mars.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

There were the boomers or whatever they were called in enterprise, they weren't starfleet , and there were federation citizens like the marquis that must have been colonizing the galaxy. Might be lots of private ventures that don't want the hassle of military life

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do humans ever have privately owned civilian ships? It seems unlikely since earth has gone all in luxury communism. But on the other hand there could be poo poo like tour boats and cruise ships for people who just want to toot around and experience space travel during their vacation. Or commuter ships for people going to work on mars.

In DS9, Kassidy was an independent trader with her own ship.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Epicurius posted:

And that's before she became the chief medical officer on a starship, mothered two sons and married a Kaylon. Quite a resume.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Were those colonists that went off and formed an Amish death cult on DS9 starfleet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiberius Christ posted:

There were the boomers or whatever they were called in enterprise, they weren't starfleet , and there were federation citizens like the marquis that must have been colonizing the galaxy. Might be lots of private ventures that don't want the hassle of military life

That was also real early Starfleet-is-NASA days, with boomer ships being warp-2-ish long-distance cargo haulers that take weeks or months to get anywhere. Their time was also passing as Enterprise started, as faster ships were making those sorts of long-haul lifestyles unnecessary with Warp 3+ ships entering civilian usage.

I'd say there's probably a difference between a Starfleet ship and a Federation ship, which might be a privately-owned ship with a license or contract for a route.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dabir posted:

Were those colonists that went off and formed an Amish death cult on DS9 starfleet

I'm pretty sure they were federation civilians

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Epicurius posted:

That's true, but she wasn't working inside the federation.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say there's probably a difference between a Starfleet ship and a Federation ship, which might be a privately-owned ship with a license or contract for a route.

Yeah, that's the difference between a US-flagged cargo ship and an American aircraft carrier.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lots of random federation civilians had their own ships. that's how they meet the enterprise so the episode happens. as for how they got their ships, who knows? there was probably some lengthy application process.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hansen,

Congratulations! Your application for a Federation research vessel in order to study a mysterious robot zombie race while also taking your very young daughter with you has been approved!

naem
May 29, 2011

in the grim dark space future basically everyone has a trust fund

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

There are also various armadas for member worlds and organisations for various reasons. The Vulcan Science Academy, for instance.

And in the Federation where one more or less follows one’s ken, there’s gotta be at least a few hundred private shipwrights who just wanna build cool ships independently, winning prestige and further access from their works the same way anyone else does.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If I lived in Star Trek I would simply ask for one of those decommissioned Oberths and turn it into a party boat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Helmed by the night crew from the Robot Chicken sketch.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Tighclops posted:

If I lived in Star Trek I would simply ask for one of those decommissioned Oberths and turn it into a party boat

a borg sphere assimilates a disco ball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

I'm Captain Rock Hard of the Federation partyship Rum Ham. Lower your shields and prepare to get wasted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I would be on the Blackadder school of exploration, get a ship, drive around the local sector for four years abusing the holodeck and replicator priviledges to the fullest degree, and write up an incomprehensive log when coming back to Starfleet command.

Accept promotion to admirality and retire for lifetime of high-society status in an utopia planet of my choosing.