Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Can we at least agree Matt Smith in dread slayer armour is among the best things put to film so far

Is that the dragoon armor from the tourney? if so, hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Quite enjoyed The Queen Who Never Was grumbling that none of the soldiers had ever actually been in a battle so only know how to fight tourneys, followed almost immediately by Daemon stopping to celebrate his victory BEFORE the fight was over and getting clonked from behind :allears:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Gresh posted:

lol jesus how do these guys not have 3 arms yet

[/quote]

Pre-show spoilers?

Fire and Blood posted:

The Old King and Good Queen Alysanne ruled together until her death in 100 AC (aside from two periods of estrangement, known as the First and Second Quarrels), and produced thirteen children. Four of them—two sons and two daughters—grew to maturity, married, and produced children of their own. Never before or since had the Seven Kingdoms been blessed (or cursed, in the view of some) with so many Targaryen princelings. From the loins of the Old King and his beloved queen sprang such a confusion of claims and claimants than many maesters believe that the Dance of the Dragons, or some similar struggle, was inevitable.

Their flippers didn't fair so well.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gresh posted:

lol jesus how do these guys not have 3 arms yet

I'd have to double check the family tree, but I think the Targaryens still compare favorably in the genetic diversity department to the Ptolemies. And other than a big schnoz and picking the wrong horse to back in the Last War of the Republic, Cleopatra did pretty well for herself considering her family tree was more of a family wreath.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I liked it. Seems solid and as the story is actually finished it might have a more coherent end.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Question: I took the city watch thing as them accusing random people of the crimes and not actually guilty people as an exercise in instilling fear into the King's Landing populace of the City Watch. Several reviews I read took it at face value that they actually were criminals who had committed the crimes they were accused of. How did you all take that scene?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The way Daemon's #2 was just seemingly randomly pointing to dudes in the throng of captured citizens and screaming out the name of crimes, I assumed the whole thing was pure theater and a bunch of potentially innocent people were being dismembered or outright murdered.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah that wasn't too bad.

More game of thrones, early seasons, I figure they got the point across that it was a prequel pretty well to normal viewers.

Will it take off as much as GOT? No, probably not. But lets give it a year or two and see.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I wonder what the starks are up to

No reason why, just curious
Being the only one voting for a Queen at all succession party, which is easy for them because all the north already allows female succession so having a female ruler wouldn't cause succession troubles in his region while supporting male only succession may encourage troubles.
Also brutally decapitating people.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly how I figure it for the city watch is they probably started off with a preplanned list of targets to make a show of who might not meet modern standards of guilt but were probably based on like, SOMETHING, but once things got going, not above grabbing people at random.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I give it a C+ so far. has potential, but I can't see how they'd make multiple seasons out of this worthwhile

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

I give it a C+ so far. has potential, but I can't see how they'd make multiple seasons out of this worthwhile

1) Insane Targs on parade
2) MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bring in David Tennant as a Lannister and Christopher Eccleston as a Stark or a Greyjoy, obviously!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Bring in David Tennant as a Lannister and Christopher Eccleston as a Stark or a Greyjoy, obviously!

David Tennant Highgarden.

Patrick Capaldi Lannister.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't usually notice stuff like this but I think all the Targaryen characters have awful looking wigs.

i thought rhaenyra's and matt smith's were the only offensively bad ones but yeah

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What do dragons smell like, if they smell so strongly that everyone know Rhaenyra has been on one

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also Daemon’s open-face jousting helmet doesn’t seem like too much of a good idea

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jerusalem posted:

The way Daemon's #2 was just seemingly randomly pointing to dudes in the throng of captured citizens and screaming out the name of crimes, I assumed the whole thing was pure theater and a bunch of potentially innocent people were being dismembered or outright murdered.

Probably. The show is pretty explicit that the whole system is pretty hosed up and the whole absolute monarchist thing with all leadership being decided by luck of the genetic lottery or what family is in charge is pretty obvious.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

MrMojok posted:

Also Daemon’s open-face jousting helmet doesn’t seem like too much of a good idea

Yea that was dumb. I was hoping what would have set him off, which was to be expected, would be getting hit in the chin by an errant piece of wood or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrMojok posted:

2) MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER!

Didn't they mention at one point that they currently had 10 dragons? Apparently they only had the budget to only ever show 1 on screen at any point

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They spent a lot of money on that anime.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Its good but feels like its walking a tightrope where it could easily fall into suck really fast.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah it was pretty underwhelming. I thought they would have done something bigger to capture everyone’s attention and generate some excitement and faith

Also doctor who man is ridiculous casting for the malevolent badass. He is so unbelievable in that role

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The sets and costume design are very impressive and I'm cool with a slow build. My main problem is that, by virtue of this being a prequel, I know that whatever these characters will inevitably fail.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

blue squares posted:

Yeah it was pretty underwhelming. I thought they would have done something bigger to capture everyone’s attention and generate some excitement and faith

Also doctor who man is ridiculous casting for the malevolent badass. He is so unbelievable in that role

QuoProQuid posted:

The sets and costume design are very impressive and I'm cool with a slow build. My main problem is that, by virtue of this being a prequel, I know that whatever these characters will inevitably fail.

Kinda - this is 172 years in the past though so who knows what can happen. We know someone has a kid and they become king and go mad so Jamie Lannister can kill em.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

QuoProQuid posted:

I mean kinda. The whole book is basically an unreliable in universe text about how the targs took over and then basically destroyed themselves to the point that there were no dragons by the time of Dany and the family was easy enough to deposed. Like so far, I think the show will be pretty solid and it helps that they have a completed story that they can play with and tweak which they are clearly going to do. Part of the reason got poo poo the bed was partly they ran out of material outside notes and partly because dnd didn’t give a gently caress anymore and were fine making GBS threads out whatever because they thought they would be making bigger stuff like Star Wars, which died in the crib because they crash landed the series.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Question: I took the city watch thing as them accusing random people of the crimes and not actually guilty people as an exercise in instilling fear into the King's Landing populace of the City Watch. Several reviews I read took it at face value that they actually were criminals who had committed the crimes they were accused of. How did you all take that scene?

My reading was the same as yours. It made me think of the protests from 2020. Cops were emboldened and felt they had to instill fear amongst the public to silence any criticism. There's a lot of footage where they were just attacking random people rather than protesters.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Kinda - this is 172 years in the past though so who knows what can happen. We know someone has a kid and they become king and go mad so Jamie Lannister can kill em.

I mean. You can go read exactly what is going to happen to the main characters in any game of thrones wiki. They may change a few things but I can't imagine it will be a lot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why would I do that though? As someone who hasn't/won't read the books I am going to let the show tell me what happens.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Chemtrailologist posted:

My reading was the same as yours. It made me think of the protests from 2020. Cops were emboldened and felt they had to instill fear amongst the public to silence any criticism. There's a lot of footage where they were just attacking random people rather than protesters.

HBO has a long history of shows that make pretty overt references to current events and modern themes even if they are set in different time periods. "Police force gets its rocks off on terrorizing people they view as vermin" isn't exactly subtle.

I had low expectations going in and the pilot definitely impressed me, perhaps as a result of that. I've never seen Matt Smith in anything before so I thought he was great as Daemon. The cast overall was really strong- no "cute kids that grow up to be terrible actors" to worry about here. And no obvious Kit Harrington charisma black holes either- though the guy who plays Criston Cole could end up that way.

I'm optimistic about the show.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

"Hey Prince Daemon, your sister-in-law and newborn nephew just died!"

*Daemon promptly poops his pants and has sex*

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 22, 2022

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I liked it but I felt the stuff at the end about and he called it a Song of Ice and Fire was tacky and not needed. I really like how its setting up all the politiking and it reminded me a lot of The Accursed Kings series (which I know Martin has often mentioned).

BWV fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 22, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

So Aegon had a prophecy dream about Arya Stark and knew he needed to take over Westeros so she could kill the night king? ok

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I heard HBO killed four horses shooting that jousting scene. Three to get the horse's fall just right, and then Matt Smith's horse heard a noise and got spooked and broke his leg right after.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay I don't know what the gently caress they're doing with this show. Show me a castration, a couple hand choppings, Matt Smith hitting it doggystyle in an very unnerving manner, a gross hamstringing, and now a nonconsensual murder/C-section and the episode is barely half over. Super not feeling whatever vibe they're going for so far.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Patrick Peter Capaldi Lannister.

Channelling Malcom Tucker.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

clapped when they showed the big house all the dragons lived in like in the title of the show

edit: kind of weird when Daemon cheated so the Hand's kid face planted off a horse and like literally everyone including the Hand shrugged. At least the son appears to still be sort of alive.

Vishass fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 22, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Phenotype posted:

Okay I don't know what the gently caress they're doing with this show. Show me a castration, a couple hand choppings, Matt Smith hitting it doggystyle in an very unnerving manner, a gross hamstringing, and now a nonconsensual murder/C-section and the episode is barely half over. Super not feeling whatever vibe they're going for so far.

Lol pussy

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Phenotype posted:

wtf a nonconsensual murder? that's it this show has finally gone too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BWV posted:

I liked it but I felt the stuff at the end about and he called it a Song of Ice and Fire was tacky and not needed. I really like how its setting up all the politiking and it reminded me a lot of The Accursed Kings series (which I know Martin has often mentioned).

very obviously telling the regular weird GoT fans that name their children Daenerys or Khaleesi that this is still a loving prequel just in case the "175 years before" message wasn't clear enough.