Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Off the top of my head

AD&D 2E
D&D 3.0
oWoD Vampire
oWoD Werewolf
oWoD Mage
oWoD Hunter
Adventure!
Exalted 1E
Monster of the Week
Lancer
Fragged Empire 1E
Fellowship
Last Shooting
Ironsworn/Starforged

Of those I think I had the most fun with Fragged and Fellowship but it helped that I had a great GM. Fragged Empire especially benefits from a lil bit of automation since range brackets are very granular.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I just ordered this the day before yesterday!

Nice! The author was at at a con I went to (Norwest con) and I thumbed through a copy a vendor had (which IDK how they had it, it wasn't out yet at the time) and it looked really cool and sounded neat, so I bought the PDF since I wanted to support the author and read more, but didn't want yet another book I'll maybe never play.

I forgot two other games I played, at Norwestcon:
Bubble Gumshoe (which is a highschool setting version of gumshoe)
Doggo Delvers, a one-page RPG about being dogs. (I was François Big bite, a french bulldog that's a cuddly tinkerer)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can you guys give a list of the games you've tried?

My group likes (liked, we never reconvened after the pandemic :smith:) the aspect of character advancement, which means they often feel like they are missing out if they're not participating in a session.
Danger Patrol <- best game, though no advancement
D&D 3rd, 4th, 5th, and one of the pre-3e ones that I think was a homebrew mishmash of OD&D, 1E, and 2E which is I believe As God Intended.
All Out Of Bubblegum
Everyone Is John
Actual Cannibal Shia Labeuf
With Great Power
Mutants and Masterminds
Silver Age Sentinels
One of the BESMs
Torchbearer
Reign
Savage Worlds
Dresden Files RPG (in the GM's homebrew setting)
Various Fate things
Fiasco
Modiphius Star Trek
Traveller (not sure of the edition)
Paranoia
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Call of Cthulhu
Deadlands
Engine Heart
WFRP3E
FFG Star Wars
Unknown Armies, barely
Bunch of Cortex stuff, I forget the names of half of them. Old GM was a fan.
Some manner of points buy 40K thing 15 years ago that I do not remember the name of but do remember breaking badly

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I played a shitload of games when I was in college, circa 1985:

D&D 1e
Paranoia 1e
James Bond 007 (lol)
Villains & Vigilantes
Champions ... I think 3e? All I remember is taking 30d6 damage when someone piledrove my character through a wall, and surviving
TOON
Traveller 1e and all its little black books
BRP
Star Frontiers
DragonQuest 1e

... then nothing until the late 90s, with my nephews:

Shadowrun 2e
CyberGeneration (lol x2)

... then nothing, again, until my group of old college buddies came back together during the pandemic:

D&D 5e, which is like playing paste, but the interaction with old friends makes it semi-palatable
Fellowship

Games I keep trying to get my current group to try, with no luck yet:

Flying Circus
Hard Wired Island
Monster Care Squad
Spire a/o Heart

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Reading all these posts is knocking loose some old memories. In addition to what I said above, I played a 1 shot of Call of Cthulhu, a two different 1-shots of Silver Age Sentinels, and only a few sessions of some early-2000s Star Wars game. (Note: don't play a Wookie because you cannot speak Basic and not everyone understands Shryiiwook.)

I also bought the book for A|State which I never played, is extremely weird, and apparently kickstarted a second edition that is shipping shortly? I never heard anything about that game from anyone else ever in my life, but I guess some people liked it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hey Splicer :

What’s All Outta Bubblegum?

That one’s new to me. Or rather I’ve heard of it but “uses bubblegum as some kind of mechanic” is about the high and low of my knowledge.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay, second list...Games I have run at least one session of from 1976-2000 (not including the ones on that first list)
ODD (also with Arduin Grimoire)
Metamorphosis Alpha 1e
Superhero:2044
Villains and Vigilantes 1e/2e
Traveler (1e)
Top Secret
Star Frontiers
KABAL
Star Trek RPG (FASA)
Recon 1e
Behind Enemy Lines
Tunnels and Trolls
Bunnies and Burrows 1e
DragonQuest
MSH
DC Heroes
A whole bunch of Palladium poo poo
James Bond 007
Chill 1e
Rolemaster
Phoenix Command
Living Steel
Aliens RPG (Leading Edge Games version)
Shatterzone
Bloodshadows
Paranoia 1e
Ghostbusters
Harn
Worlds of Wonder
Call of Cthulhu (1-6e)
Shadowrun 1e and 2e
Star Wars (D6)
Cyberpunk 1e and 2020
Twilight 2000 1e 2.1e
Dark Conspiracy
Elric
Stormbringer
TSR's Conan
TORG 1e
Earthdawn 1e and 2e
The Fantasy Trip
Fantasy Wargaming
Millennium's End
The Morrow Project 1e and 2e
Psi World
Daredevils
Flashing Blades
Space Opera
Underground
Golden Heroes
Blood of Heroes
Mutant Chronicles 1e
Kult 1e
Nightlife
Toon
Teenagers from Outer Space
Justifiers
Armageddon 1e
Dominion
Cybermaster and Spacemaster
Universe
Powers and Perils
Space;1889
Forgotten Futures
Deadlands
Usagi Yojimbo RPG
Albedo
7th Sea 1e
GURPS various
Conspiracy X
Last Unicorn Games Dune

I'm sure I missed some, like I know I ran Kuro and Qin in the last ten years and forgot to put them on the first list.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I forgot a whole TON of Marvel Superheroes from the beginner's box set. I had that whole thing memorized

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My group runs relatively short campaigns of once a week for 6-8 months, and we rotate through different systems and settings that various people want to try. We've been doing this style for the last twenty years, and it works very well.

I didn't say it's impossible or never happens. I think thats great you are in that siutation but I'm saying I don't think thats the standard experience and its bad to assume thats the default experience.

Splicer posted:

OK this seems the best thread to ask: Why are you a grey square?

I think I posted in a new avatar thread or something and this is what I got, I don't remember.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Reminded by that Nice Marines rules post:

Does anyone have any other recommended 1-2-page-rules games they could recommend?
Might be trying to introduce a bunch of concepts to students, and being able to contrast 1-page stuff with, say, Hero (stops a bullet, yo) would be good.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Atopian posted:

Does anyone have any other recommended 1-2-page-rules games they could recommend?
Might be trying to introduce a bunch of concepts to students, and being able to contrast 1-page stuff with, say, Hero (stops a bullet, yo) would be good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Atopian posted:

Other one-page games that I haven't gotten the chance to play that I'd like to:

Antological Theory
A Response to the Esteemed Dr. Crackpot
Mirror

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ha, nice!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr Magnethands is a whole page front and back.

Quiet Year is like 12 pages but most of that is art and the charts to consult. The actual rules are almost negligible and when I used to carry it in my work bag I fit the charts on two index cards to make a little travel-size version that could fit in a pocket.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Atopian posted:

Lasers & Feelings and its multitude of hacks are the biggest kids in that particular schoolyard right now.

Also Interstellar Troopers (and its spinoffs/expansions, each also a page) and Demonbreakers.

CBR-PNK is technically two pages, one for players and another for the GM.

Oh, don't forget Jason Statham's Big Vacation!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xiahou Dun posted:

Quiet Year is like 12 pages but most of that is art and the charts to consult. The actual rules are almost negligible and when I used to carry it in my work bag I fit the charts on two index cards to make a little travel-size version that could fit in a pocket.

Grant howit has done a bunch of them.

Doktor Magnethands is fantastic, if kind if exhausting to run

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Quiet Year is fantastic, I've played several games of it online and it's wound up very different each go-round.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Systems I've played:

Basic/Expert D&D
Rules Cyclopedia D&D
1st Edition AD&D
2nd Edition AD&D
3.0 D&D
3.5 D&D
4e D&D
5e D&D
Pathfinder 1e
Pathfinder 2e
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Swords and Wizardry Complete
The GLOG 2.0
Esoteric Enterprises
Exalted 2e
PARANOIA Xp
Vampire the Masquerade
Vampire the Requiem (1e and 2e)
Mage the Awakening
Mage the Ascension
New World of Darkness
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
13th Age
Fate Core
Feng Shui 2
Doctor Who (the one with the really long name)
Microscope
Strike!
Dungeon World
Monster of the Week
Monsterhearts
Star Wars WEG
Star Wars Saga Edition
Honey Heist
Mothership 0e
Mutants and Masterminds 2e
Hero System
Shadowrun 2e
Maid

I probably forgot some stuff.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Atopian posted:

I mentioned Doggo Delvers (a honey heist hack), as I really liked what I played of the one session at the con. The session we played we had to recover a magical dog dish from a bad of bad dogs, a cat and it's goose lackey. If you Dog stat gets to 6, you have a doggy freak out and run off and maybe take a nap. If your adventurer stat gets to 6, you betray the party (we had almost our entire party do this and try to steal the dish for themselves).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Podima posted:

The Quiet Year is fantastic, I've played several games of it online and it's wound up very different each go-round.

Same, Quiet Year is awesome.

Also very good as an introduction for people who've never TTRPG'd before, or whose familiarity is limited to D&D. It's a great example of collaborative worldbuilding, and gaming with mechanics that aren't mainly about violence.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Dueling Fops of Vindamere is basically 2 pages with a lot of prompts/scenarios.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can you guys give a list of the games you've tried?

My group likes (liked, we never reconvened after the pandemic :smith:) the aspect of character advancement, which means they often feel like they are missing out if they're not participating in a session.

Pathfinder 1e
D&D 5e
D&D 3.5e

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
What your gaming group's D&D party looks like after allowing too many sourcebooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQjbJbcER0c

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Podima posted:

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Also very good as an introduction for people who've never TTRPG'd before, or whose familiarity is limited to D&D. It's a great example of collaborative worldbuilding, and gaming with mechanics that aren't mainly about violence.

Yup. There's a reason why I kept a copy in my work bag : a deck of cards and little copies of the charts and you basically have an ideal game to play at the bar with some friends. Works for just about anyone, fun as hell.

And yeah, the variety you can get is astounding. I've done it where it turned into basically just acting out The Road, but then the exact same group of people did one where an orangutan wearing overalls wondered in out of the wastes and turned into our living god, so we just had religious schisms among his priests for 2 real-life hours.

Really good game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Atopian posted:

Apollo 47

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Games I've played/run, excluding one-shots:

13th Age
Blades in the Dark
D&D 4 & 5
Degenesis: Rebirth
Emissary
Godbound
LANCER
Legends of the Wulin
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Pendragon
Star Wars Saga Edition
Vampire: The Masquerade
WFRP 2E

Out of all of these, my recommendation for crunchy advancement-oriented games would probably be LANCER and Legends of the Wulin. D&D 4 is hard to recommend solely because running it without the online / digital resources is a real pain. WFRP 2E is a classic, it's a solid no-frills workhorse system attached to an awesome Career mechanic.

I've never seen anyone talk about Emissary, I got a copy out of a Kickstarter a few years ago. It's kind of Exalted in Space But Also Dune. The system is a little confused about what it wants to be, but I ran a short campaign with it and it works fine in practice.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
D&D 3.5, 4, 5
Starfinder
Traveller (Mongoose 2e)
Blades in the Dark
Band of Blades
Burning Wheel
GURPS
Ars Magica
Shadowrun
Star ORE
FFG Star Wars
LANCER
Reign

Are the ones i know off the top of my head. Of these, I found GURPS to be the best, as once i really got it, i felt the system is really ideal for anything trying to simulate. I do respect Band of Blades a lot for what it's doing, even if the military theme tends to run against its very narrativey mechanics.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I very much enjoyed playing Quiet Year the one time I've done it. It's interesting how much the 'no table talk' thing actually matters.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Zeerust posted:

I've never seen anyone talk about Emissary, I got a copy out of a Kickstarter a few years ago. It's kind of Exalted in Space But Also Dune. The system is a little confused about what it wants to be, but I ran a short campaign with it and it works fine in practice.
“Exalted in space” is a theme I would like to see more of.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Games my "Super Group" has played in the last twenty years:

Full (year+ campaigns that finish)

D&D4E, 5E

FFG 40K (many)
-original Dark Heresy (with the OP full auto)
-only war, with it's much better aptitude system
-the chaos one, which I think is where the combat rules improved
- Death Watch (as a Horus Heresy precursor, only partially finished)
- a home brew hybrid of the best of all the systems, run in a Dark Heresy setting, three or four times.

Warhammer Fantasy RPG

Shadow of the Demon Lord

Pathfinder 1.0

Werewolf, the apocalypse

Star Wars home brew based off of FFG 40k homebrew

Partial (less than a year, didn't finish)

More FFG 40K
Cyberpunk ... 2017?
Shadowrun, not sure what edition

In retrospect, I'm really surprised we haven't played Pathfinder 2 yet, I own the PHB but our resident PF runner owns several milk crates of 1.0 books and is pretty salty about PF2.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

yo this owns holy crap

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Zeerust posted:

Can you tell me more about this because this sounds great

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Can you tell me more about this because this sounds great

The basic concept is that the PCs are Emissaries, agents and enforcers of the Emperor of the known universe, a tripartite being formed from a human who has mutated into a planet-consuming superorganism, a moon-sized supercomputer that can predict the future, and a piece of alien super-technology called the Universal Emissary. Emissaries have supernatural powers granted by implants derived from the U.E., which are controlled and cultivated through their Ideals, expressed as a Sympathy resource. Emissaries that lose control develop Apathy, which eventually causes their implants to take over their body and transform them into Gigeresque monsters. There's also the Bene Gesserit Witches of Cetebos, an all-female sect of psychics that practice genetic engineering and oppose the alien technology of the Emissaries.

The basic system is 2d10 + Stat + Skill, with doubles giving automatic successes (on evens) or failures (on odds). This is where some of the problems start to come in - it's a workhorse system that isn't really built for the kind of bombastic science-fantasy action the setting promises. The Skill list is absolutely deranged: there are two skills for remembering things, then one blanket Skill for having psychic powers. There's also a strong death spiral inherent in the system, as wound penalties reduce your stats, including the derived ones that you use to avoid or soak damage. It kind of has the Exalted / Eclipse Phase problem where your stat allocation at creation is so generous that your character concept will be completely filled at the start; you want to be Joe Shootmans? Great, you can start with maxed-out Dexterity and Firearms, then all your XP will go into superpowers or basket-weaving.

There's a couple of things the game does to fill these gaps, the first of which is your Emissary abilities. You can spend Sympathy for rerolls, boost your stats, and negate incoming damage. There's additional powers you can unlock through your Ideals that let you do cool stuff like raise the dead, grant sentience to inanimate objects, or hate someone so much you know where they are anywhere within the universe. Unfortunately, the balance is completely off between the different Ideals, especially since some of them let you break the action economy. Also, advancing your Sympathy pool is done via XP expenditure, which is silly because it's such a no-brainer. Also the game does the infuriating thing of punishing PCs if they roleplay wrong; if you betray an Ideal, you have to make a Corruption roll, which can eventually lead to the aforementioned body-horror thing and losing control of your character.

The other interesting facet is Traits. When you buy a certain number of ranks in an Attribute's associated Skill, you get to select passive bonuses, which extend from being ambidextrous to being able to hold your breath for as long as you have remaining Sympathy. It adds a bit of flavour to characters and incentivises raising Skills that might otherwise not be useful to you.

The PC Races are kind of fun, as well, since they're all shades of trans/posthuman. The closest thing you get to a 'baseline' human are heavy worlders, space-born humans and genetic supermen, with the rest getting weirder from there. There's human-descended lizardfolk and bug people, and also a race of sentient machines with their own rules for things like equipment.

The worldbuilding and setting are really interesting, the art is good, and the system is... Fine, IMO, it just has the wrong priorities. It's granular where it could be breezy, and it glazes over some of the most interesting parts. The combat wants to both be simulationist and drama-oriented - there's a laundry list of equipment with granular ranges and the like, then there's a whole mass combat mechanic which covers the broad strokes of you obliterating droves of minor enemies (sort of like Godbound and its Fray die.)

If people are really interested, I could do a Fatal & Friends when my schedule calms down a little.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 22, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So your ultimate goal is to kill this Emperor fellow, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jenna's new game, The Flood just dropped on DTRPG. It's about a community of poetry farmers dealing with farm assetization.

Why Poetry? posted:

In this game, you’ll get your hands dirty with your farm. You’ll work with the land, or at least, with what it produces.

You as players can’t get your hands dirty with imaginary corn, or sugar, or wheat.

But you can get your hands very dirty with a poem.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Jenna's new game, The Flood just dropped on DTRPG. It's about a community of poetry farmers dealing with farm assetization.

While I don't doubt you at all, and the game sounds strangely interesting, I can't escape the feeling that your statement was generated madlibs-style:

"The game is about *rolls* *rolls* poetry... farmers?, and they must deal with *rolls* *rolls* *checks dictionary* farm... assetisation? Yes."

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For more info she's been tweeting about it:
https://twitter.com/JennaKMoran/status/1561908024637214720

It's heavily based on "Fields of Gold: Financing the Global Land Rush," by Madeleine Fairbairn and it's poetry because that's table gameable work unlike growing fruits and veg

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's like Frog Fractions 2 and Nobilis 4th edition is inside.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Maybe it's like Frog Fractions 2 and Nobilis 4th edition is inside.

That's actually The Night-Bird's Feather, which if it does well in preorders and September will lead to Nobilis 4e's early draft getting released. Her other fiction has been great if you have any appreciation at all for the writing style in Nobilis/Chuubo's/Glitch, so I'm definitely in on that.

fez_machine posted:

It's heavily based on "Fields of Gold: Financing the Global Land Rush," by Madeleine Fairbairn and it's poetry because that's table gameable work unlike growing fruits and veg

I dearly want a game that will let me grow pretend fruits and veg in a mechanically interesting way, so that I can play Stardew Valley and have a neat farm while also collecting friends like Pokemon by solving their small-town-with-magical-secrets problems.

Edit: which, come to think of it, is also entirely doable in Chuubo's, which I will one day tie my players to chairs and play.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey Splicer :

What’s All Outta Bubblegum?

That one’s new to me. Or rather I’ve heard of it but “uses bubblegum as some kind of mechanic” is about the high and low of my knowledge.
You have 10 sticks of gum and a d10. To succeed at kicking rear end you start chewing a stick of gum or roll over your remaining gum. To succeed at anything else you start chewing a stick of gum or roll under your remaining gum. IIRC in both cases you can choose to start chewing the gum after failing a roll.

Eventually you need to describe everything (opening doors, talking to people, handling fine china) in terms of kicking rear end. Because you're all outta bubblegum.

Think nice Marines except you start the game competent and end the game trying to talk around ten sticks of gum in your mouth.

e: obviously that last part is an excuse to do stallone impressions

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 23, 2022