Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i don't really see any other conclusion to the way the transfer window has gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As a big Brenden Aaronson fan, tell me about rooting for Leeds, a team apparently no one outside of Leeds like

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 21, 2022

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Brenden*

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

As a big Brandon Aaronson fan, tell me about rooting for Leeds, a team apparently no one outside of Leeds like

It's good, except for when it's bad.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

As a big Brandon Aaronson fan, tell me about rooting for Leeds, a team apparently no one outside of Leeds like

We are all generationally conditioned to hate Leeds, OP

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

UnderFreddy posted:

i don't really see any other conclusion to the way the transfer window has gone

The other clue is that they hired Rangnick to be the interim coach to train the players to do things that contemporary football players do like "pressing" and "tracking back", and after a few months of trying fruitlessly to do this he publicly said most of the players would have to be replaced. The club subsequently canceled his consultancy.

The club probably made it clear to the new manager applicants that they wanted minimal squad turnover, but their minds were changed by watching the Fred and McTominay in those first two matches.

Even if the media reports are only half correct they went from browsing for bargains to full on panic bidding very quickly after the early results.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

imagine four minorities on the edge of a cliff

you push one over the edge, and to your immense disgust as a Leeds fan they are immediately replaced by another

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/1561367644632236032

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

As a big Brenden Aaronson fan, tell me about rooting for Leeds, a team apparently no one outside of Leeds like

Rooting

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

T Bowl posted:

His red card against Barcelona for late kicking the ball is one of the all time worst referring decisions I can remember, I am biased but god that was so loving bad.

genuinely the most corrupt decision i think i've ever seen in a Real Competition. it was just completely insane

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tbp posted:

genuinely the most corrupt decision i think i've ever seen in a Real Competition. it was just completely insane

That entire match was nuts, it also featured the infamous throat grab right in front of the ref who did precisely nothing while Busquets did his cunty centre circle trip players poo poo all match.

You'd have a case for crying bent officiating it was worse than the Chelsea vs Barca match.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Tbf, the player getting choked was Nasri

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I had buried that match deep, deep down. God. Even the banter era had a shot at the Champions League in it :negative:

But hey we’re here and about to get ¡Tequila! ¡Saliba! stuck in everyone’s heads all season long.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tbp posted:

It was peak Uefalona territory

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tbp posted:

the ref who did that decision was appointed Head of FIFA Refereeing four months after that game

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

That entire match was nuts, it also featured the infamous throat grab right in front of the ref who did precisely nothing while Busquets did his cunty centre circle trip players poo poo all match.

You'd have a case for crying bent officiating it was worse than the Chelsea vs Barca match.

I’m still super mad about that whole game. It was surreal watching it and surreal remembering it. Arsenal were three two up on aggregate when rvp got sent off as well. Not just nasri got choked that game either, RvP was as well. Barcelona received zero bookings that match.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Between that and the Chelsea one, they had to have been bribing refs back then, right?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Didn't Van Persie get his first yellow for the second one as well? Barcelona were always protected by the refs but good lord that evening was something special.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
There are a lot of matches with insane reffing across the whole thing but yeah the RVP one was maybe the most bizarre single incident I can remember watching

At least crooked pens or reds you can imagine maybe they had a terrible angle or had a small stroke and missed the incident and just relied on an assistant ref half the pitch away to relay what happened or something

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Clearly all Abidal is trying to do is silence the curse Van Persie is putting on his liver. Alas, just weeks later Abidal was struck down with liver cancer.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
barca and real have definitely bought referees.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Didn't Van Persie get his first yellow for the second one as well? Barcelona were always protected by the refs but good lord that evening was something special.

these weren't even the only two lol

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
if you don't think that referee (who got promoted at the end of that season) was paid off then ive got a bridge to sell you

EC10 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 22, 2022

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

harperdc posted:

I had buried that match deep, deep down. God. Even the banter era had a shot at the Champions League in it :negative:

arsenal were ahead in the tie before fabregas* backheel passed to iniesta on the edge of the arsenal penalty box to set up their goal

*was playing for arsenal at the time

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nani getting a straight red for a high boot is up there in mental decisions in the champions league too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Nani getting a straight red for a high boot is up there in mental decisions in the champions league too.

:hmmyes:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Green & Good until Casemiro is in bold

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Green & Good until Casemiro is in bold

That doesn't even rhyme.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Why are people dunking on Scott Parker‘s awesome cardigan? I have the same one and it owns!!!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Whenever I see Scott Parker I get the distinct feeling that he’s dressed by his wife.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Wengy posted:

Why are people dunking on Scott Parker‘s awesome cardigan? I have the same one and it owns!!!

lol fuckin nerd

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Looke posted:

lol fuckin nerd

Harsh but true

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

all the stories coming out today that when Ten Hag made the United players run 14km in the heat he also did it alongside them at age 52

which is MY BALD KING poo poo, but also lmao at the same journalists reporting the exact same story as last week with a different slant because we won a loving game

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, a week ago ALL SPORTS SCIENTISTS were saying he were killing them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"professional athletes run 1/3 of a marathon" was such a lame story

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

united should hire felix magath and really get those overpaid primadonnas running

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bust out those graph jpgs, here we go...

It's only the third week but that performance on Monday was really concerning. Players looked mentally and physically fatigued and I'm getting big time "cycling off" deja vu. From back in January 2021:

and from the replies then:

vyelkin posted:

He uses the phrase caffeine "and other substances" a lot in there.

I find it completely plausible even if you don't assume they're all on the juice Red Bull all day every day and need a season off before their hearts explode. Klopp's football, when it works, is crazy high-energy and demands a ton of effort, the players have been playing out of their skins for the last 2-3 years making it to two CL finals, being a point off City two seasons ago, and then doing that insanity last season, and then Covid hit and the season got all messed up and there was barely a break or an offseason to recover.

The players look absolutely exhausted and the club didn't sign enough new players to inject new energy. Jota looked like our best player for a while, probably for this exact reason, and injuries and fixture congestion aren't helping because it means fewer players playing more games. They look tired, out of ideas, and off the pace a lot of the time, and that means that where last season they might have had the little bit of extra energy and mental sharpness to pick out the one pass that will get through a packed defence, this season they don't have that.

I'm seeing the same problem I bolded above too. Losing Mané is going to be huge. Salah is still extremely dangerous cutting in from the right, but he isn't the type of player who can move into the middle and make things happen for the team. Núñez seems to be more of a replacement for Firmino while Díaz is the new left-sided player and it'll take a while to develop the chemistry that the front three had in 2019-2020.

Another bonus post-snip from the same time:

Eric Cantonese posted:

Every player has gone off the boil at once and it's hard to know when or if they'll get back to being as good as they used to be. Squad players are either just not good enough, like Origi and Shaqiri, or perpetually injured and unable to contribute strongly, like Keita and Ox.( Arguably, some of the squad players - including the ones I just mentioned) are both of those things.)

We're still relying on Keita and Ox, and the squad depth isn't a whole lot better. Jones is good, Tsimikas is decent, however Gomez at RB? Philipps at CB? I like Harvey Elliot but he's not at the level required yet and Carvalho might be alright but I haven't seen much of him this season tbf. Outside of Jones and Elliot, the midfield is about 32 years old with Fabinho the youngest of them at 28 and Klopp's already rotating one or two of them at around the 60 minute mark in each match so far. Doesn't say good things about fitness levels. Fixture congestion sucks yeah but it hasn't even started yet. Plus it's not a surprise and everyone has to deal with it so there has to be a solution instead of just moaning about it every week.

Maybe the plan is to have the whole squad injured so they don't get selected for the World Cup and then stage a 2nd half comeback? Feels like we're going to finish with around 70-75 points and in the 4th place trophy group.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, I suspect this year is the transition year, where they work out if Eliiot and Jones can cut it in midfield, if any of the young defenders can cover vvd and matip, and bedding in nunez and Diaz.

Sucks, but I guess the club won't throw £200m at midfielders into the teeth of the City buzz saw

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Liverpool aren't going to break 60 points unless they start playing seriously better. 7 games in a row now is it where they have conceded first, that is simply unsustainable if they want to be winning games regularly. Maybe smashing Bournemouth this weekend will raise morale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I actually completely forgot about ox. It's nuts thinking he was future england star a few years ago.