Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

They do do it for cards. It's anything over $400.

What does the "authenticity guarantee" actually mean? Presumably even in the USA if someone sells you a fake and you notice they have to give you your money back even without a specific guarantee. Does it mean they have someone employed to actually check it's real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Likely bad for both consumers and vendors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

That would be a new instance of it entering the field.

Right, but unlike Oblivion Ring it will recapture what it's already holding, and also scoop up any new ones.

Your opponent will get ETB triggers but that's probably manageable on 2 CMC stuff.

Sickening posted:

Didn’t the mod just say to not do this lmao.

You are exactly the kind of turbo aggressive weirdo that can’t be trusted to have this discussion.

Nah Kettle is colorless, I think.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Proxies are marked as such, call them what they are, fakes and counterfeits.

Didn't someoe say ebay verifying sent it out in like a non insured pwe after they verified it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Qwertycoatl posted:

What does the "authenticity guarantee" actually mean? Presumably even in the USA if someone sells you a fake and you notice they have to give you your money back even without a specific guarantee. Does it mean they have someone employed to actually check it's real?

It means that if you buy a collectible over $400 the seller has to send it to eBay's facilities first, where they check to authenticate if it's real or not. Then it gets sent to the buyer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aphrodite posted:

Right, but unlike Oblivion Ring it will recapture what it's already holding, and also scoop up any new ones.

Your opponent will get ETB triggers but that's probably manageable on 2 CMC stuff.

If there is a deck that makes tokens this is a good SB card against them but anything that has this effect especially for multiple objects, you can really get blown out with.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Likely bad for both consumers and vendors.

Thankfully we still have card kingdom

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Thankfully we still have card kingdom

I haven't bought cards from them in a while but I remember them being quite high on singles... Facebook groups it is!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cardmarket is such an amazing advantage European players have over Americans. I honestly don't think I'd have gotten that much into MTG if I didn't have access to it. Your only options for buying and selling directly to/from other players are now eBay (lol) and Facebook (lmao)? That's ludicrous. Cardmarket needs to enter the US market ASAP

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 22, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1561723652428660737

Neither of these are too exciting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Katana Gomai posted:

Cardmarket is such an amazing advantage European players have over Americans. I honestly don't think I'd have gotten that much into MTG if I didn't have access to it. Your only options for buying and selling directly to/from other players are now eBay (lol) and Facebook (lmao)? That's ludicrous. Cardmarket needs to enter the US market ASAP

P2P transactions are incredibly unlikely to ever be a meaningful model in the US.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences buying and selling cards on facebook groups tbh.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They’ve tried a bunch of different variations on Bob effects tied to combat/attacking. Have any of them been impressive? There was a energy guy that did something similar that was alright iirc.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences buying and selling cards on facebook groups tbh.

Agree, some of the most expensive purchases I've made have been through facebook, like my Gaea's Cradle or Earthcraft. A lot of the high-end MTG groups are pretty well moderated. I definitely understand the concern though; there's not a whole lot anyone can do if you get scammed. Doesn't seem to happen a lot, but I've seen a couple instances.

It's honestly the only real reason why I haven't deleted myself off that hellsite.

I don't even think commander wants that awful Phyrexian Arena/Bob. Especially not when Black Market Connections just blew both of those out of the water a few months ago.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 22, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I haven't bought cards from them in a while but I remember them being quite high on singles... Facebook groups it is!

Cardkingdom is pretty good but their prices are a little higher yeah.

mcmagic posted:

I've bought a bunch of stuff off of Mercari and have had good experiences as well.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I kinda like the idea of graveyard shenanigans that Urborg Lhurgoyf can enable, but there's not enough Creeping Chill stuff to make it fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've never used any of those cause they don't seem to deliver to Canada.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

If I was a conspiratorial sort I'd say that eBay made a deal with TCGPlayer to acquire them if they first acquired the rest of the secondhand market

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I guess they went all in on flavor for this set and nothing else. The cards are very mediocre at best

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Panderfringe posted:

I guess they went all in on flavor for this set and nothing else. The cards are very mediocre at best

😀👍

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Panderfringe posted:

Off the top of my head there's the 1G(R) Trample Haste elf, there's the GG Elf lord that lets you pay G to draw a card whenever you cast an Elf, Temporary Lockdown looks pretty drat good against tokens, cards seem pretty good so far?

e: there's the new Tatyova that you can Scapeshift for lethal with lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Off the top of my head there's the 1G(R) Trample Haste elf, there's the GG Elf lord that lets you pay G to draw a card whenever you cast an Elf, Temporary Lockdown looks pretty drat good against tokens, cards seem pretty good so far?

e: there's the new Tatyova that you can Scapeshift for lethal with lol

Check their post history lol, it’s all sadbrained bitching about the power level of every set released since they found the thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Eej posted:

If I was a conspiratorial sort I'd say that eBay made a deal with TCGPlayer to acquire them if they first acquired the rest of the secondhand market

this isn’t conspiratorial this is exactly how m&a acquisitions happen. Buyers are often hesitant to enter a market without more consolidation to remove uncertainty and communicate this to management of one of the market players

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Panderfringe posted:

This is retroactively ruining the box of Invasion I bought with my summer job money as a kid

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
eBay now also owns the card grading service ChannelFireball started, Premier Card Grading. They might have seen this as an opportunity to be a direct grading source as well as a direct card market.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Legendary tribal may be a real deck?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Notably that card isn't in the Legends matter precon even though it has the right colors, because...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my decision to stop buying singles continues to pay dividends

Panderfringe posted:

I know, isn't it a relief

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One of the secret lairs revealed today is stained glass treatments of the original Legends elder dragons which is pretty cool.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AngryBooch posted:

Legendary tribal may be a real deck?

Leyline of Singularity = Infinite

Any sac outlet will let you sac the (now legendary) token infinite times.
Any two creatures with the same name will trigger a token creation infinite times as you get stuck in a loop.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

One of the secret lairs revealed today is stained glass treatments of the original Legends elder dragons which is pretty cool.

all the stuff that was in planning for a long time has 5 cards because they're now shorting all the new SL by 1 card. lmao

edit: or i guess if the set needs to be 5 like the talismans pairings

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Leyline of Singularity = Infinite

Any sac outlet will let you sac the (now legendary) token infinite times.
Any two creatures with the same name will trigger a token creation infinite times as you get stuck in a loop.

Slap a blood artist in that and you got yourself a stew?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought the Elder Dragons were on the RL (which was what made FTV dragons including Nicol bolas so special) but I think i've just gaslit myself.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 22, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought the Elder Dragons were on the RL (which was what made FTV dragons including Nicol bolas so special) but I think i've just gaslit myself.

They were in Chronicles.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Nah they were reprinted in Chronicles which "ruined" their value. The reserved list was originally built of all the black bordered cards that hadn't been reprinted yet.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

orangelex44 posted:

You realize this exact same argument, almost literally word-for-word, would apply to currency as well? You don't see any problem with that?

Like, sure, it's all just paper but once enough people agree that the silly paper has additional meaning it's important to honor that. Now, a children's card came is a silly thing to attribute too much value upon, but there's a clear difference between saying "I think that this thing costs too much and will represent it with this other thing" and "I think this thing costs too much and will endeavor to copy it as closely as possible".

Was not aware that magic cards were now considered legal tender, but that's great news for me. I'm basically covered for rent for the next decade just off of trash rares alone.

This entire argument is silly, because it depends on artificial scarcity that WotC props up for their own interests. Once they decide that doing so is no longer useful and offer on demand card ordering, or allow a third party vendor to do so, the value of every card collapses to the cost of cardboard, ink, and shipping plus some mark-up.

Until that happens the hope is that anyone who uses :filez: to get cards has the ethical fortitude to not scam anyone, either in sales or trades. As long as that holds, there's no reason for anyone who isn't a WotC employee to wring their hands about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mat Cauthon posted:

Until that happens the hope is that anyone who uses :filez: to get cards has the ethical fortitude to not scam anyone, either in sales or trades. As long as that holds, there's no reason for anyone who isn't a WotC employee to wring their hands about it.

So if you buy a $30 counterfeit you just go "ah, c'est la vie, WOTC got me again!"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I haven't bought physical cards since Arena dropped and probably won't ever again but if I bought a $30 counterfeit I'd have the same reaction as if I bought an "authentic" $30 rare and then the value dropped for single digits (or less) the next day because of a reprint or the deck falling out of the meta or whatever.

"drat that sucks. oh well, wonder what other deck I can build with what I've got."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mat Cauthon posted:

That doesn't hold. At all. Proxies and proxy events are good. Fakes and counterfeits aren't.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I haven't bought physical cards since Arena dropped and probably won't ever again but if I bought a $30 counterfeit I'd have the same reaction as if I bought an "authentic" $30 rare and then the value dropped for single digits (or less) the next day because of a reprint or the deck falling out of the meta or whatever.

"drat that sucks. oh well, wonder what other deck I can build with what I've got."

You have no problem with someone selling you counterfeit goods??

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

Interesting