Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Idk if Tesla's claims of incorrect pedal hits are true, but I think it was pretty conclusively shown 10 years ago from the imagined Toyota acceleration fiasco that tons of people hit the wrong pedal all the time, and in the presence of an opportunistic anecdote driven media firestorm, they are more than happy to blame the car manufacturer for their mistake if given the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I wrecked my first car from a wrong-pedal accident, but it wasn't because I don't know the difference between the gas and the brake, it was because my massive size 14 feet hit the accelerator when I pushed the brake pedal all the way down for an emergency stop. :saddowns:

E: that was part of the reason I drove manuals exclusively until I got my Leaf.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
According to radio lab, the unintended acceleration can be real. I recommend listening to this episode. But if you rather not, the reason is cosmic radiation causing the unhardened car computer to screw up.

https://radiolab.org/episodes/bit-flip

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not listening to that, but I guaran-loving-tee you bit-flips caused by solar radiation are not causing unintended acceleration incidents on the terrestrial surface of Earth.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Chalmers: Solar radiation? On the terrestrial surface of earth? Affecting only this specific vehicle manufacturer?!

Skinner: Yes

Chalmers: ...May I see it?

Skinner: No

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
They let off the accelerator so quickly it's position went under zero, and since it's an unsigned int the car went into Gandhi with nukes mode.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Considering the US fatality rate per 100k population is about 50 percent higher than similar nations in western Europe, Canada, Australia, and Japan, that seems doubtful.

Per pop is an insanely bad way of looking at this stat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I wrecked my first car from a wrong-pedal accident, but it wasn't because I don't know the difference between the gas and the brake

I feel compelled to point out that a great many people know the difference between the accelerator and the brake pedals. But when they're panicking, they may think their foot is on a different pedal.

The two pedals right next to each other, one meaning "accelerate" and the other meaning "decelerate", is a horrible user interface design, because the muscles involved in stopping are the same that are involved in going faster. In a panic situation, it's easy for even experienced drivers to be so preoccupied with what's unfolding in front of their eyes that they forget to move their foot four inches left before stomping the pedal.

It's just a really, really bad design.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Per pop is an insanely bad way of looking at this stat.

I'm glad you think so. Are you gonna tell us why now?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Because Americans drive like twice as much as EU average IIRC

E: they still crash more though

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well pretty clearly a population that drives 20,000 miles per year per person would be likely to have more accidents per capita than a population that drives 1,000mi/yr/prs, without that stat saying much other than they need to build better public transport.

e: :argh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

eeenmachine posted:

How is it even legal to drive anything lighter than an F150 on the same roads? We would probably save a lot of lives with a minimum vehicle weight and requiring four wheels.

http://www.fiatbarchetta.com/links/nice.html

borkencode posted:

I think it was 8 or 9 seated children invisible in front of like a Tahoe. The other classic of the genre is the guy in a lifted brodozer that couldn’t see an entire mustang in front of him at a stoplight without using a front camera.

That was a Corvette, and the truck was a stock Silverado, wasn't it?

FilthyImp posted:

EV Delorean preview. Has anyone seen anything else?
There's a second body model previewed that looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZX3fHmDEjw

Not super sure about the Delorean Lifestyle Bands though.
And those GullWings look worse than the X/Ys in terms of mall parking

It's literally impossible to build a car called "Delorean" without gullwing doors. Like, they designed it with regular doors, but in the morning it hade gullwings.

Lifestyle bad is dumb, but at least they're trying something different.
Shooting brake version looks good, and I like the wheels on that one.

That said, what I wanted was a DMC-12 with an electric drivetrain.
I like the option on the dash to display original-style analog gauges.

knox_harrington posted:

Well pretty clearly a population that drives 20,000 miles per year per person would be likely to have more accidents per capita than a population that drives 1,000mi/yr/prs, without that stat saying much other than they need to build better public transport.

e: :argh:

We also tend to drive faster, longer (more high-speed highways) too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Everyone already posted this, but the driver of the number of accidents that occur is not the number of people who exist, it's how much they drive. Per X VMT is a much better and more accurate normalization factor.

This is also why looking at absolute collision deaths over time can be very misleading.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The US still has over 40% more fatalities per VMT than Australia, Canada and most EU countries though, so that argument isn't exactly a slam dunk.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheFluff posted:

The US still has over 40% more fatalities per VMT than Australia, Canada and most EU countries though, so that argument isn't exactly a slam dunk.

What argument? He just said per capita fatalities is not a useful metric for measuring road safety, and it isn’t.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’m not arguing in favor of anything the US does in terms of road safety to be clear, I’m just arguing in favor of using actually good data and metrics.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

I feel compelled to point out that a great many people know the difference between the accelerator and the brake pedals. But when they're panicking, they may think their foot is on a different pedal.

The two pedals right next to each other, one meaning "accelerate" and the other meaning "decelerate", is a horrible user interface design, because the muscles involved in stopping are the same that are involved in going faster. In a panic situation, it's easy for even experienced drivers to be so preoccupied with what's unfolding in front of their eyes that they forget to move their foot four inches left before stomping the pedal.

It's just a really, really bad design.

Braking should be done by stomping your feet, acceleration should be done by thrusting your pelvis.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m sure it’s not included in the number that Tesla guy cited, but I honestly wonder whether Tesla thinks I’m a dangerous s driver given how often my 3 absolutely shits itself when someone pulls left into a short turn lane and I physically can’t follow the travel lane to the right to continue past them soon enough to satisfy the algorithm. I guess it wants me to drive into the ditch or slow to ten mph when someone decides to turn?

Anyway it’s quick and hasn’t burned me to death yet, so I’m just ignore the blaring alarms over nothing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Fatality rate per population is also the most often presented and commonly available number. Why?

quote:

Defining traffic risks as the ratio of deaths to travel distances, however, almost guarantees that a statistical comparison would be invalid (and therefore discounted). The United States and Israel, for example, would seem closely similar if described by traffic deaths per 100 million vehicle-miles (1.1 v. 1.1, respectively) instead of traffic deaths per million population annually (104 v. 44, respectively). This is one reason why the World Health Organization calculates multiple indices and generally avoids the deaths per vehicle-mile statistic when evaluating traffic safety.

quote:

While increased VMT and higher speeds should clearly affect motor vehicle fatalities, isolating and quantifying their individual effects is empirically challenging due to the interplay between the demand for driving, traffic congestion, speeds and accidents. Cross-sectional analysis of the effect of these factors on fatalities is prone to omitted variable bias (e.g. differences in road conditions, funding, policing, underlying attitudes, etc.). Time-series analysis is complicated by reverse causality in the timing of accidents and congestion related speed reductions - that is, accidents that cause congestion, or time-varying trends in driving, accidents and fatalities (e.g. changes in vehicle technologies and safety).

EDIT:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m not arguing in favor of anything the US does in terms of road safety to be clear, I’m just arguing in favor of using actually good data and metrics.

Also, you're not arguing anything at all, you might as well have said "LOL numbers bad".

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 22, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Fatality rate per population is also the most often presented and commonly available number. Why?

EDIT:

Also, you're not arguing anything at all, you might as well have said "LOL numbers bad".

The thing you quoted to justify using a single metric to define relative road safety across countries says, explicitly, that it avoids single indices because traffic fatalities are complex and involve many external interactions that are impossible to quantify in a single number. Your own source says, essentially “numbers bad (when used in isolation without understanding broader context)”.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 22, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

American driving tests are a joke...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Steakandchips posted:

Of course they are. If someone failed the driving test, then they wouldn't be able to get to work.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

How would you change drivers education to prevent people from driving drunk or while texting or speeding through residential areas or just generally driving like an rear end in a top hat? Do you think people are simply unaware that they aren’t supposed to do these things?

You could significantly cut traffic fatalities by raising the driving age to like 20 for women and 29 for men because despite getting the same education young people (especially men) are far more likely to be involved in fatal accidents.

Accidents generally aren’t cause by people lacking sufficient driving skill, they are caused by people engaging in dangerous behavior and being blind to the consequences.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elviscat posted:

When did you reserve yours?

E: and what model is it.

And post pics.

I reserved October 20, 2021, it's a premium. Got to take ownership Aug 11, 2022. I just got the PPF done on it, tint is still curing but it's looking good :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

yeah, i'm arguing that your metrics are poo poo and you should use better ones

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Skyl3lazer posted:

I reserved October 20, 2021, it's a premium. Got to take ownership Aug 11, 2022. I just got the PPF done on it, tint is still curing but it's looking good :)

It looks great!

I may put down a pre-order when the 2023 models open up. I wish the Mach-E's came in more exciting colors, but I guess if I really care that much I can get it painted or wrapped or whatever.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Roadie posted:

What I'd really like to have for a long road trip is GM's Super Cruise. It's designed around being actively hands-free (and giving you time to get your hands and feet back into position if it needs to shut off for whatever reason), and the combo of lidar and pre-scanned roads makes me way more comfortable with it than Tesla's neural net image processing guesswork.

Do they actually have lidar, or is it just that the roads were pre-scanned with lidar? I thought the cars were just using radar/cameras + very accurate map data from the mapping cars.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I can't believe I have to post this twice in 2 pages, but statistics/data do not always say what people seem to think they say.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

I can't believe I have to post this twice in 2 pages, but statistics/data do not always say what people seem to think they say.

I’ve run a statistical analysis based on recent trends and the evidence strongly indicates that you will say this on every page of the thread now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

How would you change drivers education to prevent people from driving drunk or while texting or speeding through residential areas or just generally driving like an rear end in a top hat? Do you think people are simply unaware that they aren’t supposed to do these things?

You could significantly cut traffic fatalities by raising the driving age to like 20 for women and 29 for men because despite getting the same education young people (especially men) are far more likely to be involved in fatal accidents.

Accidents generally aren’t cause by people lacking sufficient driving skill, they are caused by people engaging in dangerous behavior and being blind to the consequences.

Step number 1: Have the American government actually give a poo poo about American citizens.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ve run a statistical analysis based on recent trends and the evidence strongly indicates that you will say this on every page of the thread now.

:hmmyes:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

It looks great!

I may put down a pre-order when the 2023 models open up. I wish the Mach-E's came in more exciting colors, but I guess if I really care that much I can get it painted or wrapped or whatever.

The Red looks great, and the Grabber blue is pretty awesome IMO

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Wayne Knight posted:

Do they actually have lidar, or is it just that the roads were pre-scanned with lidar? I thought the cars were just using radar/cameras + very accurate map data from the mapping cars.

SuperCruise uses lidar-scanner maps.
UltraCruise has onboard lidar.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elviscat posted:

I hated the blue, the red was good, but either way I'm not a flashy color sort of person. The closest I got was wanting the burnt orange on my Element, but there wasn't one available so I went with the light grey.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Successfully used a charger not at my house for the first time today. Car is a Chevy Volt.

Last week tried using one at a hotel - it was a Tesla branded gray electrical box with a J1772 adapter. Plugged it in but the car gave me some kind of error and it didn't charge.

Today I took a closer look at a charger near my office. It's a Chargepoint charger, I had previously dismissed it because the display said something about setup not being complete, and it appeared nonfunctional. Turns out you can still use your Chargepoint account to unlock the charger and use it to charge for free, but since it's offline the Chargepoint app doesn't recognize the charging or track progress etc. Added 20 miles of range in 2.5 hours, which was a nice surprise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Umm....not engaging in dangerous behaviour is actually all about driver skill. Part of advanced driver training is about situational awareness about dangerous behavior and that is a skill sorely lacking with almost every one of the thousands of people I taught. And it can be as simple as where is your focus when you are in traffic going the speed limit on the freeway, Imean hey thats not driving dangerously is it? The bumper ahead of you or 5 cars ahead as well? Well.. no, Because if you are focusing on the bumper ahead you are in fact not skilled and being dangerous because you are going to miss the taillights come on 5 cars ahead and lose the 2 or 3 seconds warning looking ahead gives. Thats what driver skill is actually about, not just wether you can threshold brake to try to avoid the accident you failed to see coming.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Speleothing posted:

SuperCruise uses lidar-scanner maps.
UltraCruise has onboard lidar.

Ah ok, so the Bolt EUV just has radar/cameras, and doesn't directly use lidar. I was going to be very surprised if lidar tech got cheap enough to be on a $30-40k car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Umm....not engaging in dangerous behaviour is actually all about driver skill. Part of advanced driver training is about situational awareness about dangerous behavior and that is a skill sorely lacking with almost every one of the thousands of people I taught. And it can be as simple as where is your focus when you are in traffic going the speed limit on the freeway, Imean hey thats not driving dangerously is it? The bumper ahead of you or 5 cars ahead as well? Well.. no, Because if you are focusing on the bumper ahead you are in fact not skilled and being dangerous because you are going to miss the taillights come on 5 cars ahead and lose the 2 or 3 seconds warning looking ahead gives. Thats what driver skill is actually about, not just wether you can threshold brake to try to avoid the accident you failed to see coming.

Pretty hard skills to test for in a license test though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elviscat posted:

I normally prefer blue, but the one on the Mach-E is too bright for me. I'm a fan of the two shades of medium blue the EV6 and Ioniq 5 offer.

The red does look great though, and I'm very much not a red car person. I like that they didn't go fire engine/Ferrari with it.

I've had a dark gray car for 12 years now and need some color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty hard skills to test for in a license test though.

Speaking as someone who has kids getting their licence, the change in student driver requirements in Australia make an enormous difference to how well they drive. When i got my licence over 30 years ago i had had about 4 lessons and maybe driven 10 times. Today my kids had to do 120 hours before they could go for their test. You get bonuses for doing advanced driver safety courses, and also for driving 10 hours with a qualified instructor.

They may still be teenagers with a worrying sense of invincibility but they are a fuckton safer driver than i was at their age.