Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BWV posted:

Am I a massive nerd/idiot for thinking that the whole "we need to name a new successor now" bit seemed a bit rushed/forced? Like even if the king was delusional that his child would both be a boy and survive, it's not like there wasn't already a succession crisis in play. His child not surviving was a very possible outcome (one his council should not be totally surprised by) and I don't get how it actually happening changes the situation. I guess the queen dying means he needs more time to find a new wife or maybe he gains more faith in his daughter and less in his brother, but the whole vibe of the succession becoming super time sensitive felt a bit off.

I acknowledge this is a very stupid thing to be posting about and apologies for not Googling everyone's name.
He's weak, they don't like Daemon (his brother), and they're taking advantage.

I don't know to what degree they expected Viserys to make a big public deal out of finalizing the succession, though -- I get the impression that what they wanted was for Daemon to get pushed aside and Rhaenyra slotted in pending Viserys taking another wife and hopefully fathering a son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BWV posted:

Am I a massive nerd/idiot for thinking that the whole "we need to name a new successor now" bit seemed a bit rushed/forced? Like even if the king was delusional that his child would both be a boy and survive, it's not like there wasn't already a succession crisis in play. His child not surviving was a very possible outcome (one his council should not be totally surprised by) and I don't get how it actually happening changes the situation. I guess the queen dying means he needs more time to find a new wife or maybe he gains more faith in his daughter and less in his brother, but the whole vibe of the succession becoming super time sensitive felt a bit off.

I acknowledge this is a very stupid thing to be posting about and apologies for not Googling everyone's name.

Well it seemed relatively squared away until the events in this episode, they're kinda resolved to Daemon being the king with the distant hope that the son gets born and survives, they all hope out loud it'll happen but internally probably doubt it. Then when the son dies, the council are like "well, I guess we have to poo poo or get off the pot now then?" and have the hasty meeting that doesn't go particularly well where they poo poo talk Daemon. Then Hightowers report of what Daemon said in the brothel sets the cat amongst the pigeons and makes the king change his choice of heir.

Like others I kind of expected that to be like, disputed by Daemon since he already poo poo talked Hightower as trying to grasp for all the power he could and for there to be some ambiguity as to whether Hightower had lied to manipulate stuff or not. As it is I guess Daemon either did say it or didn't really care to argue against it.

Either way, yeah it is supposed to be kinda hasty because they'd been putting off any big changes cause they like the king being where he is and want more time to try and figure out some way to not have Daemon take over.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 22, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Communist Q posted:

He has some sort of unknown illness as evidenced by the wounds that won't heal, and he keeps cutting his likely diabetic rear end on the throne. There's a very real possibility he could die soon from it.`

Isn't it just tetanus? Or whatever the fantasy name they have for it is. He got it from getting stabbed by his rusty metal chair. Rust Pox

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wonder if cauterizing it will even work on a Targaryen?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Thanks for these answers. The combination of Hightower seeing this as an opportunity and the king being easily swayed in a time of distress checks out. Combined with his brother getting into trouble and acting brutally is enough to spur him to change. Cased closed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder if cauterizing it will even work on a Targaryen?

Haha, I thought the same thing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, I wasn't expecting to like this at all but I'm fully on board. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

My only worry really is that the cast aren't very varied at the moment - Targaryans tend to be pretty one-note and the other characters we've seen so far don't have any of the variety or interesting characteristics that GoT's cast had. It's basically just royals and the small council at this point. Complete with Charles Dance, Donald Sumpter and Conleth Hill impersonators.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I've read two separate reviews now saying that Viserys chooses between the lives of his wife and child in the birth scene, and... jesus, why is watching TV shows and listening to the words that people say out loud apparently too hard for some TV reviewers? The maesters flat out loving tell him that Aemma is dead no matter what and his choices are to either consent to them killing Aemma and saving the baby, or to pray for a miracle because right now they're both gonna die.

Like, it doesn't take anything away from the shittiness of the situation or how badly Viserys handles it (a braver man would have told his loving wife what the situation was, which is of course the point) to report accurately, guys.

The maester says something along the lines of doing nothing would leave her life "in the hands of the gods" which I think is meant to be purposefully vague. My own interpretation is that he's saying there's still a chance she could live (other wise he would just say there's absolutely no way she can survive) but someone else could easily lean the other way, and that this was the diplomatic way of saying she would never make it.

That's good writing because the maester is going to want to retain some plausible deniability in that scenario. And it leaves it up to the viewer to decide what he really meant. I think it's pretty clear that Viserys valued the life of the child as much or more than his wife's, and that his choice was a foregone conclusion.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Well it seemed relatively squared away until the events in this episode, they're kinda resolved to Daemon being the king with the distant hope that the son gets born and survives, they all hope out loud it'll happen but internally probably doubt it. Then when the son dies, the council are like "well, I guess we have to poo poo or get off the pot now then?" and have the hasty meeting that doesn't go particularly well where they poo poo talk Daemon. Then Hightowers report of what Daemon said in the brothel sets the cat amongst the pigeons and makes the king change his choice of heir.

Like others I kind of expected that to be like, disputed by Daemon since he already poo poo talked Hightower as trying to grasp for all the power he could and for there to be some ambiguity as to whether Hightower had lied to manipulate stuff or not. As it is I guess Daemon either did say it or didn't really care to argue against it.

Either way, yeah it is supposed to be kinda hasty because they'd been putting off any big changes cause they like the king being where he is and want more time to try and figure out some way to not have Daemon take over.

Yeah and they all just IMMEDIATELY jump on the Rhaenyra bandwagon. You can sense their collective relief at having the lunatic Daemon ostensibly out of the picture

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thebardyspoon posted:

i suspect daemon knows he can't just come back when his bro dies or is old and force him him to make him king or marry or some poo poo.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

BWV posted:

I think the urgency is exacerbated by Daemon being a really lovely heir that a bunch of nobles/councillors explicitly do not want to reign. Either they name him successor right now and spend the next few years cajoling noble support for him so there isn't a rebellion against him when the King dies, or they name somebody else and make it clear to Daemon he's not the heir and has no support, so he doesn't lead a rebellion after the King dies. If Daemon wasn't a piece of poo poo or the King had another viable brother, there may not be quite as much urgency.

The fact that the next heir is female might also accelerate the process, since the implied agnatic preference for succession means there's more groundwork to be done to secure her rule.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did daemon and Queen Who Wasn't interact with each other? if so I missed it

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Max posted:

The implied reasoning with Hightower immediately sending his daughter to go comfort the king is that he is hoping to get an in with the king by making his daughter seem desirable now that the queen has passed. This wasn't a planned thing but he is savvy enough to know when to grab an opportunity when he sees one. Barring that, note that he is the one pushing to name a successor and how very much he does not want it to be Daemon. Dude doesn't like him and is trying to square things away with an heir he isn't threatened by.

I get the feeling that Hightower is going to be the Littlefinger of this show. Obviously he's pimping his daughter out to be the next queen, but I think there's more. When the maesters find the baby is in breech, they go to him first rather than the king. The baby is last seen alive in the hands of a maester. The Hightowers have always had strong ties with the maesters and the Citadel, so it's possible he arranged for some tragedy to befall the babby.

There's also the orgy scene were some background random calls for silence so Daemon can make his ill-advised speech, word of which immediately spreads to Otto Hightower. I'm hoping that he orchestrated that too, mostly because Littlefinger's intrigues were one of the best parts of GOT up until the writers lobotomized him in the final few seasons, and I'd like to see that same kind of nefarious scheming in this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know to what degree they expected Viserys to make a big public deal out of finalizing the succession, though -- I get the impression that what they wanted was for Daemon to get pushed aside and Rhaenyra slotted in pending Viserys taking another wife and hopefully fathering a son.

He pretty much had to make a big public deal out of it because it goes against the precedent that made him king. So he's getting public oaths from everyone that they're cool with this even though it's obviously hypocritical.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The maester telling Hightower first I think was just "oh gently caress I have bad news to deliver, gonna tell the King's hand and friend and get the hell out of here instead of telling him the bad news directly." That part didn't surprise me too much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I get the feeling that Hightower is going to be the Littlefinger of this show. Obviously he's pimping his daughter out to be the next queen, but I think there's more. When the maesters find the baby is in breech, they go to him first rather than the king. The baby is last seen alive in the hands of a maester. The Hightowers have always had strong ties with the maesters and the Citadel, so it's possible he arranged for some tragedy to befall the babby.

Ehhh it's possible - but I think him being told first was more 'everything goes through the Hand, who will decide what news is worthy of the King'.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Vintersorg posted:

Kinda - this is 172 years in the past though so who knows what can happen. We know someone has a kid and they become king and go mad so Jamie Lannister can kill em.

I mean that I am aware of the plot of GRRM's story and (ASoIaF lore spoilers) Rhaenyra's story reads very similarly to Dany's with a few parts moved around. I really don't want to sit through a narrative that must, necessarily, follow those same contours.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Would be a very risky plan. What if the king doesn't like his daughter? What if she can't produce an heir if he does like her? Orchestrating the baby's death also puts Daemon right in line for the throne.

I don't think the maesters killed the baby. It was coughing and struggling right after its birth.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

don't think hightower arranged a tragedy for the baby, but it is clear that he cares about the seven kingdoms and is using every card left in his hand to try and prevent matt smith from inheriting.

that hand unfortunately includes his own daughter.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 22, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Would be a very risky plan. What if the king doesn't like his daughter? What if she can't produce an heir if he does like her? Orchestrating the baby's death also puts Daemon right in line for the throne.

I don't think the maesters killed the baby. It was coughing and struggling right after its birth.

Yeah, I think putting his daughter out there was opportunism, not the continuation of a plan that also involved killing the royal heir. Alicent also appears quite competent herself, she seems to be knowledgeable of history and court politics and likely is more of a junior partner to her father than an out-and-out pawn.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is it just me or are the wigs somehow worse than Season 1 Daenerys and Viserys from over a decade ago?

Also the costuming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1561781474054918144

So later today/tomorrow HBO will be out with a PR confirming that HOT D was the "most watched premiere of all time" or w/e. Not terribly surprising.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Max posted:

The maester telling Hightower first I think was just "oh gently caress I have bad news to deliver, gonna tell the King's hand and friend and get the hell out of here instead of telling him the bad news directly." That part didn't surprise me too much.

It's probably this, but maesters in GOT weren't afraid to tell it like it is to their various kings and lords. They seem to have a protected status that allows them to speak with candour and sometimes brutal honesty.

I was probably clutching a bit since I sort-of enjoyed the pilot but was hoping for a little bit more.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I get the feeling that Hightower is going to be the Littlefinger of this show.

I'd say he's more of a subtle Tywin Lannister, at least from what I can gather in the first episode. He prefers stability in the realm, but also takes any chance he can to elevate his family. And judging by his reaction when his eldest face planted in the tourney and what he asks his daughter to do, he seems to also view his children as just pieces on a game board. He's just, y'know, less assholish about it. Then again thats just from a single episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1561781474054918144

So later today/tomorrow HBO will be out with a PR confirming that HOT D was the "most watched premiere of all time" or w/e. Not terribly surprising.

It's sort of cheating saying it's a new premier when it's the successor of an already insanely popular show and has a guaranteed built in audience.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Is it just me or are the wigs somehow worse than Season 1 Daenerys and Viserys from over a decade ago?

Also the costuming.

They're pretty bad. I almost wish they'd gone with making the Valyrians have the silver or gold hair and violet eyes of the books. They're supposed to be these ethereal otherworldly looking people and I think that might have worked more than "normal looking people with really bad white hair" and covered up some wig sins.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There's also the orgy scene were some background random calls for silence so Daemon can make his ill-advised speech, word of which immediately spreads to Otto Hightower. I'm hoping that he orchestrated that too, mostly because Littlefinger's intrigues were one of the best parts of GOT up until the writers lobotomized him in the final few seasons, and I'd like to see that same kind of nefarious scheming in this show.

Eh, I don't necessarily think it's some sort of conspiracy. A breech baby in those times would likely be suffering from hypoxia and possibly meconium aspiration if the delivery took a long time, which it likely did considering it was a complicated birth. I don't see why he'd try to arrange a tragedy when he needs an heir to the throne to maintain his own power and position as Hand of the King. He likely just decided to pimp out his daughter out of opportunism rather than scheming to remove the heir apparent.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaxyon posted:

Also the costuming.
They're actually in-story wigs, like the wigs of British lawyers. They allude to this with the prostitute saying she can arrange for a silver-haired maiden.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Communist Q posted:

Eh, I don't necessarily think it's some sort of conspiracy. A breech baby in those times would likely be suffering from hypoxia and possibly meconium aspiration if the delivery took a long time, which it likely did considering it was a complicated birth. I don't see why he'd try to arrange a tragedy when he needs an heir to the throne to maintain his own power and position as Hand of the King. He likely just decided to pimp out his daughter out of opportunism rather than scheming to remove the heir apparent.
Honestly, even if the baby is a boy and it survives, marrying your daughter to the now-single king is a really good move. No guarantee that the kid lives long enough to inherit, and your worst case scenario is that you're the king's father-in-law, will get fucktons of royal favor, and your grandkids will all be rich and get valuable holdings and favorable marriages.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

stev posted:

It's sort of cheating saying it's a new premier when it's the successor of an already insanely popular show and has a guaranteed built in audience.

Eyeballs is eyeballs

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They allude to this with the prostitute saying she can arrange for a silver-haired maiden.

I believe the proper term in England is "solicitors".

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

stev posted:

Huh, I wasn't expecting to like this at all but I'm fully on board. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

My only worry really is that the cast aren't very varied at the moment - Targaryans tend to be pretty one-note and the other characters we've seen so far don't have any of the variety or interesting characteristics that GoT's cast had. It's basically just royals and the small council at this point. Complete with Charles Dance, Donald Sumpter and Conleth Hill impersonators.

Not giving a poo poo about the Targs in general was my biggest hesitation on watching. I like Viserys because he's some weak nerd of a king and pretty openly emotional as opposed to the rest of the targs.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Honestly, even if the baby is a boy and it survives, marrying your daughter to the now-single king is a really good move. No guarantee that the kid lives long enough to inherit, and your worst case scenario is that you're the king's father-in-law, will get fucktons of royal favor, and your grandkids will all be rich and get valuable holdings and favorable marriages.

Yeah, in the context of the political reality of Westeros I didn't read that move as particularly devious/immoral. You've got an unmarried King, you're an important noble of the realm with an unmarried daughter, it's kind of the thing to do. Viserys isn't presented as a madman or particularly cruel, it's not like being betrothed to Aerys II or Joffery or the like, and Alicent's marriage would have been arranged regardless.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it common in this Westeros era to have more than one wife? Seems like that’d be a thing for a king that hasn’t had a male heir in like 15 years.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Is it common in this Westeros era to have more than one wife? Seems like that’d be a thing for a king that hasn’t had a male heir in like 15 years.
It is, in fact, impossible.

With the sole exception of Original Aegon and his two sister-wives, who got away with it via the expediencies of being married before they came to Westeros and converted to worship of the Seven, and by being dragon-riding conquerors who gave Oldtown the very stark choice of "put up with this or we make Harrenhal look like a weenie roast".

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Concubinage and other extramarital methods of heir production seem to vary by kingdom, as well as the relative status of bastards/legitimized bastards. The Targaeryans might have extra issues with this sort of thing if there's a precedent of all previous rulers of the dynasty being the result of consanguineous marriages. The son of a mistress might be acceptable for a lesser realm, but may have fatal issues of legitimacy on the Iron Throne. It's less about them being acknowledged as a legitimate Targaeryan, but more that their claim isn't necessarily stronger than a trueborn nephew (or brother, in the case of the show).

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 22, 2022

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stev posted:

there was a real fear with how absolutely terrible GoT's last two seasons were that nobody was going to watch this.

I had to basically drag my partner away from Cult of the Lamb to watch because of how bad the last entry in the property flopped.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

zoux posted:

What's even crazier is that they did this all the time irl from the 12th-16th centuries, and lots of heirs and lords died.

this show is probably gonna do numbers
https://twitter.com/Bkillinit/status/1561530122934657024

Good, I desperately want this show to get finished.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love that the king’s hobby is chiseling scale miniatures. He’s got the medieval version of someone’s model train system that they’ve built in their basement.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ethiser posted:

I love that the king’s hobby is chiseling scale miniatures. He’s got the medieval version of someone’s model train system that they’ve built in their basement.

they call that finished miniature out in GoT right or am I thinking of something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Asema posted:

they call that finished miniature out in GoT right or am I thinking of something else
You may be thinking of Aegon's painted table?