Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Is it possible for us to harvest plastic from the ocean for a renewable source of plastic rather than relying on synthetic plastics? Or would removing a sizable portion of the ocean's natural plastic have a negative impact on the ecosystem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No you can't recycle plastic in any real practical way. Also you should stop eating seafood.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

Also you should stop eating seafood.

this problem solves itself when everything in the sea dies in a couple years, phew

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mirthless posted:

Seems like a cope for somebody who doesn't want to have to commit time to developing practical skills

You know what I say to this, though, really?

At least if that happens, I'll have spent the last few years of my life during the fall of society working with my hands and taking care of animals instead of huddling with 30,000 starving people in a stadium converted into a refugee camp

Y'all may find the city comforting but it's only ever been a miserable place for me to be and the idea of staying there as things get progressively worse seems worse than suicidal to me

I find the society built for ourselves to be empty and unfulfilling when it is functioning as intended. You will have to excuse me for not wanting to linger in the ruins of the civilization we have built while it burns down around us.

Pretty lucky that your personal tastes magically perfectly align with the best possible thing to do for the collapse. Dodged a bullet there!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i am setting myself up to be in the best possible position to survive & thrive when the collapse happens, purely out of spite

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Shifty Nipples posted:

I didn't ask to be on this ride I'm just hanging on the best I can

life is such a fuckin rollercoaster then it drops
but what should i scream for? this is my theme park

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
There are no skills that will let you survive a complete collapse, ie the water and electricity are turned off and industrial farming stops. There are 4 reasons for this.

Assume the fossil fuel stops flowing.

1. Learning how to farm like it's 1800 requires a lot more than just "having skills" It's a knowledge base that very very few people still keep up with, and you have to get it right quickly before you starve. This isn't like growing a garden.

2. None of the infrastructure is there. The tools for farming by human or animal power no longer exist in quantity. The electricity to power the machines to make them won't exist. Where are the tens of thousands of horses and donkeys and oxen we would need? What about the seeds? Hell can you even get from the city to a field on the outskirts without a car? With no horse to ride?

Even a simple way of life requires pre-existing infrastructure that has built on itself over centuries.
If you were an expert on farming and time traveled to 1820 and was given a free piece of land, there is a great deal already made available by society. Plows and horses would exist in high numbers and could be bought on credit. Today we would be starting from scratch. It would be like the Jamestown settlers starving before the native Americans saved them.

3. The environment is degraded. Even if your community could transition back into a low tech agrarian society before you all starved to death, crop failure would be common.

4. The environment is degraded. 300 years ago you could simply walk thru a forest in north America and pick up enough chestnuts, blue berries, muskadines, ect ect to survive. There would be deer and rabbits and Buffalo everywhere. Now when your crops fail you won't be feeding the community by hunting. That or you'll give everyone a prion disease.

There is no rebuilding from this. It is different from every other collapse that a society has suffered in history because there is no where to go. We cannot revert to a less organized society because we are destroying nature itself. Let's assume a worst case scenario. Humanity is set back 50,000 years to being isolated tribes of 50 to 60 people that either hunt or try to farm.

There are places that have seen continuous human habitation for millenia that will be too hot for that. We've collapsed the fish stocks. We've killed the large mammal populations. Even after human society is gone they may not recover due to the chemical pollution affecting fertility for centuries.

Let's talk Canada and Siberia. We'll just all move north where it's cooler, right? To a place that has never been farmed and has no topsoil. To the massive bogs of thawed permafrost where a human being can't walk, nevermind trying to get a donkey or tractor into the field. Where the natives have lost thier way of life because the seal, whale, crab, fish, populations are depleted.

Let's talk the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Nature recovered in 20 years right? It's called shifting baselines. That's what you think nature is like because you're never seen nature. How much animal biomass does the zone have? How many humans could that sustain if you didn't overhunt? How does seeing a few deer in the exclusion zone compare to native American stories about a herd of Buffalo millions strong where you just had to sit on the trail for 3 days and wait for the mass of animals to pass before you could continue? Spanish explorers wrote in thier logs about schools of sea turtles so thick it felt like the ship was running aground as they plowed thru.

We will not transition to a carbon neutral high tech society. We are in a capitalism fitness trap and it's almost too late.

We will not transition to a low tech agrarian society. We conceivably could with proper preparation and reorganizing of society, but we won't. And it may not be possible to rebuild into a low tech agrarian society after a sudden collapse. (Because we are altering the environment such that sufficient crops won't grow. )

We will flail about as we desperately try to keep things going. Canada and Northern Russia will be devastated as enormous effort is expended to make it suitable for large scale habitation. Thawed permafrost bogs will be drained and scraped away to try to find something solid to build on. Massive amounts of NatGas will be used to try to make enough fertilizer for what little dirt there is. The trees will be cut down for housing and the 10,000 lakes polluted. All while the mid latitudes experience giga death from heatwaves and crop failure.

We are hosed. And when the power is turned off and food and fuel stop being shipped to your little corner of the world, all your skills and resilient community's and whatnot just means you'll survive longer as you scavenge the corpse of society. I'm not saying that isn't worthwhile, I'm developing my own skills as well. But this isn't going to be Russia in the 90s or like a civil war in some war torn country. We are destroying the basic inputs human civilization must have to function.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

1glitch0 posted:

Pretty lucky that your personal tastes magically perfectly align with the best possible thing to do for the collapse. Dodged a bullet there!

city dwellers tastes have alligned with being able to go to concerts and having a broad assortment of dining options for eons. it's our turn

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Fell Mood posted:

There are no skills that will let you survive a complete collapse, ie the water and electricity are turned off and industrial farming stops. There are 4 reasons for this.

1. Learning how to farm like it's 1800 requires a lot more than just "having skills" It's a knowledge base that very very few people still keep up with, and you have to get it right quickly before you starve. This isn't like growing a garden.

2. None of the infrastructure is there. The tools for farming by human or animal power no longer exist in quantity. The electricity to power the machines to make them won't exist. Where are the tens of thousands of horses and donkeys and oxen we would need? What about the seeds? Hell can you even get from the city to a field on the outskirts without a car? With no horse to ride?

Even a simple way of life requires pre-existing infrastructure that has built on itself over centuries.
If you were an expert on farming and time traveled to 1820 and was given a free piece of land, there is a great deal already made available by society. Plows and horses would exist in high numbers and could be bought on credit. Today we would be starting from scratch. It would be like the Jamestown settlers starving before the native Americans saved them.

3. The environment is degraded. Even if your community could transition back into a low tech agrarian society before you all starved to death, crop failure would be common.

4. The environment is degraded. 300 years ago you could simply walk thru a forest in north America and pick up enough chestnuts, blue berries, muskadines, ect ect to survive. There would be deer and rabbits and Buffalo everywhere. Now when your crops fail you won't be feeding the community by hunting. That or you'll give everyone a prion disease.

There is no rebuilding from this. It is different from every other collapse that a society has suffered in history because there is no where to go. We cannot revert to a less organized society because we are destroying nature itself. Let's assume a worst case scenario. Humanity is set back 50,000 years to being isolated tribes of 50 to 60 people that either hunt or try to farm.

There are places that have seen continuous human habitation for millenia that will be too hot for that. We've collapsed the fish stocks. We've killed the large mammal populations. Even after human society is gone they may not recover due to the chemical pollution affecting fertility for centuries.

Let's talk Canada and Siberia. We'll just all move north where it's cooler, right? To a place that has never been farmed and has no topsoil. To the massive bogs of thawed permafrost where a human being can't walk, nevermind trying to get a donkey or tractor into the field. Where the natives have lost thier way of life because the seal, whale, crab, fish, populations are depleted.

Let's talk the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Nature recovered in 20 years right? It's called shifting baselines. That's what you think nature is like because you're never seen nature. How much animal biomass does the zone have? How many humans could that sustain if you didn't overhunt? How does seeing a few deer in the exclusion zone compare to native American stories about a herd of Buffalo millions strong where you just had to sit on the trail for 3 days and wait for the mass of animals to pass before you could continue? Spanish explorers wrote in thier logs about schools of sea turtles so thick it felt like the ship was running aground as they plowed thru.

We will not transition to a carbon neutral high tech society. We are in a capitalism fitness trap and it's almost too late.

We will not transition to a low tech agrarian society. We conceivably could with proper preparation and reorganizing of society, but we won't. And it may not be possible to rebuild into a low tech agrarian society after a sudden collapse. (Because we are altering the environment such that sufficient crops won't grow. )

We will flail about as we desperately try to keep things going. Canada and Northern Russia will be devastated as enormous effort is expended to make it suitable for large scale habitation. Thawed permafrost bogs will be drained and scraped away to try to find something solid to build on. Massive amounts of NatGas will be used to try to make enough fertilizer for what little dirt there is. The trees will be cut down for housing and the 10,000 lakes polluted. All while the mid latitudes experience giga death from heatwaves and crop failure.

We are hosed. And when the power is turned off and food and fuel stop being shipped to your little corner of the world, all your skills and resilient community's and whatnot just means you'll survive longer as you scavenge the corpse of society. I'm not saying that isn't worthwhile, I'm developing my own skills as well. But this isn't going to be Russia in the 90s or like a civil war in some war torn country. We are destroying the basic inputs human civilization must have to function.

fell mood fr lol

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Even if you have a small house farm with a big garden and a few chickens and one or two grazing animals that takes a huge amount of hay and feed to be delivered on the regular. If you also have massive amounts of land and are able to do all the work to cut haygrass and a place to store it properly and enough ammo to shoot all the pests and deer that will be trying to get into your garden and hundreds of canning jars so you can store everything then you might just make it through the first winter. Just make sure you never get injured or sick.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

did you know that you can re-plant part of what you harvest, like one pea can grow a whole plant with more peas

*taps head*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

when you put it that way, i guess things aren't that bad, yet

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Sushi The Kid posted:

I don't know about ground hogs, but a simple solution for deer that works for us, is using stakes or whatever you have and running fishing line between them and then hanging streamers. Foil or plastic works. Run the line about 4 or 5 feet up. Freaks em out.

sadly groundhogs are substantially smarter than deer and will attempt to burough. I've read 12" is the minimal depth at which they will reliably give up.

fortunately for groundhogs, they are generally cute chubby dudes I like seeing around, unlike deer which are giant pestilent rats which threaten my car, so, the groundhogs will get to continue to happily live here and just have some 12" deep fences to contend with. If my only problem was deer I would just let me neighbor solve that for me with an AR-15, as many times as necessary, gently caress deer. I am in favor of generally reintroducing wolves into deer-heavy or regressive-voters-with-small-children dense areas :allears:

let's let nature heal!!

1glitch0 posted:

As a woods dweller I think the verdict is still very much out on this. Historically, during famines specifically, city dwellers have done much better. Famines are coming.

I live where I do because I enjoy it now and I have accepted that using my feeble mammal brain to try to predict the future is useless, so, be as happy as possible now. Farming is fun. Digging ditches loving sucks, but seeing groundhogs be momentarily confused by them before loving off to go eat all the berries etc that grow here is hilarious to me and then I am happy when they just get fat on other stuff and leave my god drat cannabis alone. There's no fat or protein in that poo poo anyway my (ground) dawgs.

Good, materialistic based analysis. I think you need a #5: "even if you're somehow successful, some random heavily armed group will take all your poo poo by force, and no matter how many people you have at your compound, larger groups will exist and desperation will outlast you"

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
the government will be passing out Quietus before true collapse occurs

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

you can give the stuff you grow and don't eat to your chickens, I just gave mine a cucumber that got way too big and some lettuce that had gone to seed

*taps head*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

err posted:

ever the optimist

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

err posted:

COVID policy is sorta just a demographic specific semi voluntary quietus :allears:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lol if your plan isn't to live in the woods eating mushrooms and hikers until amanitas or prions get you

Edit: or the woods burn down

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lol at having a plan

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
lol now, lol later. never stop lollin

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

sadly groundhogs are substantially smarter than deer and will attempt to burough. I've read 12" is the minimal depth at which they will reliably give

have you thought about getting a herd of, like, basset hounds or jack russel terriers? they'd eat some of the gophers and if they're out in the field pissing and barking all night and day, they'll scare off some of the deer

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dog Case posted:

Lol if your plan isn't to live in the woods eating mushrooms and hikers until amanitas or prions get you

Edit: or the woods burn down
Recent burns are the best places to morels. Assuming you survive the fire and the next winter, you've got yourself a gourmet apocalypse.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

CODChimera posted:

this is fine assuming you dont want to live through it, which is probably the correct choice? who knows

That's how I feel. Lol at trying to survive through water wars in my 50s. I'll just die after enjoying whatever time I have left

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Fell Mood posted:

i been saying this

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol at having a plan

You know who else had a plan?

That's right.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

err posted:

those are opioids

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Microplastics posted:

You know who else had a plan?

That's right.
... p-phil jackson...?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hitler had a Plan

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this is all good stuff. If the collapse is slow enough then maybe some places will adapt

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

don’t see all the hype for survival in general tbh

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
underground domes with vertical hydroponics!! steal a nuclear reactor from an aircraft carrier

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

CODChimera posted:

this is all good stuff. If the collapse is slow enough then maybe some places will adapt

deeply

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

TACD posted:

don’t see all the hype for survival in general tbh

:yeah:

Whatever comes after agriculture fails, I don't really care to see it. I mean it's not gonna be good

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Nuh uh, the cartoons I grew up with said you just toss some seeds in whatever dirt and put water on it and presto, you get food. You should try stop being a pessimist with a victim mentality and just hope that poo poo works out harder.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Barry Soteriology posted:

fell mood fr lol

the hundreds of hours ive put into dwarf fortress have prepared me for clan leadership in the end times

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Will you be ready, when the moody dwarfs tantrum spiral, and in our moment of weakness, the elephants come for our blood at last?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

worst case scenario you can at the very least plant potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cold on a Cob posted:

when you put it that way, i guess things aren't that bad, yet

correct