Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

Ah it all makes sense now. China's power to influence US media is a little scary.

Apple should have had Taiwan be part of China in this alternative universe in exchange for China being in the show. :china:

Gordo and the kids hanging out in their favorite Chinese resort city, Taipei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
so I just finished watching this and my big complaint is they should have killed a lot more characters off. also I fast forwarded through anything to do with Danny and the insanely gross love triangle poo poo. every time I would try to give it a chance the writers would rub your nose in the parental relationship karen and ed have with danny and uughghghghghg *uncontrollable puking noises*

parts of the show are good but it feels like a giant love letter to republican/conservative politics and values. whitewashing nixon and reagan and lee atwater and karl rove. the "what if we had a gay president" plot line is nice but so out of touch with the reality of conservative politics all through reagan's time and the aids crisis and the associated gay panic. :rant:

e:

QuoProQuid posted:

they absolutely should have aborted the baby the moment they learned about it and it's slightly deranged that the combined leadership of NASA, Roscosmos, and fictional SpaceX were willing to risk the lives of a dozen people over kelly's pregnancy

like, just outstandingly weird that, in universe, no one on earth or mars even brought up the possibility of aborting a baby that should have never existed and represented a severe breakdown in protocol between both the american and russian crews.

yeah this was another thing that bothered me tremendously, especially as it becomes clear that kelly's health is precarious. aborting the baby is just not even an option lmao

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 20, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

parts of the show are good but it feels like a giant love letter to republican/conservative politics and values. whitewashing nixon and reagan and lee atwater and karl rove. the "what if we had a gay president" plot line is nice but so out of touch with the reality of conservative politics all through reagan's time and the aids crisis and the associated gay panic. :rant:

First of all, Richard Nixon did nothing wrong.

I don't think the show whitewashes Ronny. He is played for a buffoon, in a period where ostensibly his brain wasn't mush even. See a happy negro astronaut on teevee shaking hands with a gosh-darnit Commie, well by my druthers Nancy here tells me we got to call off this Cold War nonsense! (This is presented at face value within the show)

Atwater and Rove are explicitly used as foils to show-case how low Ellen has gotten, how she cavorts with these types after her... Unfortunate coming out of the closet with Deke. I am not sure how much harder the show-runners would have needed to home in on this point other than Edward Norton staring at the camera and prefacing the scene with Larry and Atwater.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Flesh Forge posted:

so I just finished watching this and my big complaint is they should have killed a lot more characters off. also I fast forwarded through anything to do with Danny and the insanely gross love triangle poo poo. every time I would try to give it a chance the writers would rub your nose in the parental relationship karen and ed have with danny and uughghghghghg *uncontrollable puking noises*

Arguably the biggest problem this show has is the lack of trust in the next generation of astronauts. Putting the terrible Karen storyline aside, Danny (direct descendant of two martyred astronauts) and Kelly (adopted daughter of the USA's best known astronuat) could be compelling characters on their own. Instead, Danny has barely had character development outside of "weird Oedipus complex" and Kelly has... gotten pregnant? I guess?

It really felt like season three could have been a hand off between the "first gen" astronauts/cosmonauts, and the next gen. Hopefully next season will do that, otherwise Ed is the best choice for the Europa mission.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EvilHawk posted:

Hopefully next season will do that, otherwise Ed is the best choice for the Europa mission.

They didn't explain it well on the show, but the Molly Cobb Center is actually named that now because her spirit inhabits the building and has taken control of it. Every single mission, her voice booms through the corridors,"ED IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR THE MISSION!" until they make him commander. It doesn't matter that he shattered his hip into 1000 pieces going down a step, The Great Molly Monolith simply declares,"THIS IS WHERE HIS ABILITY TO ADAPT ON THE FLY WILL COME INTO PLAY!" while Ed lies squealing in pain and sobbing on the floor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA

ONLY ED MAY ATTEMPT LANDING THERE

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

HI BOB

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

It really felt like season three could have been a hand off between the "first gen" astronauts/cosmonauts, and the next gen. Hopefully next season will do that, otherwise Ed is the best choice for the Europa mission.

danny is in the first prison on mars and still didn't get to confess to ed that he hosed karen, and I am 100% certain that's going to be a huge obnoxious plot element next season.

re: rehabilitating various turbo right wing phenomena of the period, it really bothered me that they re-framed the OKC bombing from Timothy McVeigh's execution of The Turner Diaries into the JSC bombing by analogues of Loose Change 9/11 Truthers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

loving perfect :lol:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Time for a thread title change... new song!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Big Mean Jerk posted:

he still won't be the first

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It’s extremely weird how many goons wanted a forced abortion to be a storyline on this show Jfc

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

teacup posted:

It’s extremely weird how many goons wanted a forced abortion to be a storyline on this show Jfc

What a strange post! Certainly in a more cogent writing atmosphere a scientist would see that carrying Michael Valentine Smith Ed Jr. to term would be a disservice to the unborn child, and no forcing would enter into the equation. But instead we got a funky space launch for the season finale, and :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

who said "forced" ???

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Your cursed womb is making the hab too crowded

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
You should not be pregnant in space imo. Shoulda brought space condoms

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

frankly this is something the mission planners would probably require up front, everybody gets their particular tubes or ducts snipped/tied, but it's a goofy TV show :shrug:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Maybe the women on the Soviet mission were infertile and the men on the US mission were.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Life finds a way

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Drunk in Space posted:

This is something that's killing the show for me a bit. Karen's son died horribly, her son's friend's parents both died horribly, her second husband died horribly, her ex-husband almost dies horribly a bunch of times, the father of her adopted daughter's baby dies horribly, said daughter and baby themselves come close to dying horribly, and then finally she herself dies . . . horribly.

Found the season 5 theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH1wKqwZ9_w

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

The biggest plot hole is that there is somehow poverty due to free energy. Quite the goddam opossite. The cheap energy production would drastically lower the cost of everything. Or even elimate the concept of cost. Putting aside the fact that the smartest decision would be to set up a jobs program putting those skilled laborers to work constructing the new fusion plants, they have had fusion long enough that the overhead costs of civilization should be so low that it is trivial to fund universal health care and UBI. It’s loving stupid people are mad about fusion.

You want that good communism, you gotta get that free and clean energy, first. After that, you can’t even use human work as measurement of worth because it has become irrelevant.

There would absolutely be plenty of roughnecks and refinery engineers and coal miners etc etc who would suddenly be out of a job and in a rough place if fusion suddenly became viable and cheap like this. Especially in Houston The Energy Capital of the World™, which just so happens to also host NASA.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It was a little obnoxious the most serious scientist immediately went boy crazy in space, but I guess that's Mars madness for you.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

It was a little obnoxious the most serious scientist immediately went boy crazy in space, but I guess that's Mars madness for you.

Tbf right before she was in Antarctica on the same kinda deal and did not get knocked up by her science partner so, 1 for 2

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's not free energy, it's being hauled from the moon and the hauler is making billions.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DamnGlitch posted:

Tbf right before she was in Antarctica on the same kinda deal and did not get knocked up by her science partner so, 1 for 2
Maybe they aborted her arctic baby

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This entire thread is space-racist against half-communist babies.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Yeah

Why not full communist baby

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We skipped a few months, fair to assume that all the abortion debate happened, and then once Kelly made it clear she wanted to keep it they accepted that, probably even brought together in the idea that one good thing could come out of the train wreck of three combined missions. Would actually seeing any of that discussion and alienating some watchers by putting a character they like on the wrong side of the debate (whichever side they take) have added anything to the show?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

We skipped a few months, fair to assume that all the abortion debate happened, and then once Kelly made it clear she wanted to keep it they accepted that, probably even brought together in the idea that one good thing could come out of the train wreck of three combined missions. Would actually seeing any of that discussion and alienating some watchers by putting a character they like on the wrong side of the debate (whichever side they take) have added anything to the show?

It would have been dramatic, and challenging an audience is what television for adults, IMO, should do, so I'm all for it.

There's also the fault of the cliffhanger structure -- the episode offers a dramatic situation with the understanding that the drama introduced in the scene will be followed up on during the following episode. It's the equivalent of two characters hanging off a cliff, and then cutting away for a week with the expectation that we'll get a resolution to that, only to find out that they're sitting in a bar pulling a pint without any resolution to the drama.

Like it or lump it, the final scene to the eighth episode is the two commies ominously discussing Kelly's pregnancy, and the implicit promise to the audience is that this will be followed upon, and it just isn't.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The whole pregnancy storyline is mostly just wasted. There's a lot of drama, and the NKVD-tease outlined above, but then the only pay-off we get is Ed's big hero stunt for this season, and he doesn't even die doing it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It was totally an out for Danny to redeem himself in a blaze of glory instead of going to Mars jail, but there was truly no plot contrivance that could have let that happen.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they decided to edit out some scenes where the abortion is discussed in light of the Dobbs decision.

Although, if that’s true, then why leave in the scene with the Russians being all shady about it.

Idk that whole storyline is so clunky that it stands out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Have I misuderstood something? I thought the whole point of looting the North Korean space module/casket was to borrow a docking module. But it turns out that the MSAM doesn't even have enough fuel, even with everybody stepping out, to get to Phoenix anyway so you don't need a docking module. Did they just not figure that out until after everyone got back?

e: Also I was sure there was going to be a reason for the NK guy being there other than 'well, there's a guy here' like get necessary fuel or supplies from his ship or something.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 22, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

nexus6 posted:

Have I misuderstood something? I thought the whole point of looting the North Korean space module/casket was to borrow a docking module. But it turns out that the MSAM doesn't even have enough fuel, even with everybody stepping out, to get to Phoenix anyway so you don't need a docking module. Did they just not figure that out until after everyone got back?

If I recall correctly, the ill-conceived pregnancy added a time crunch element that didn't previously exist. If Kelly hadn't needed to get to the Phoenix right away they could have eventually refined enough fuel to make the trip up and back as necessary.

Another example of how Kelly's dumb pregnancy was a fantastic detriment to the health and safety of her coworkers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If I recall correctly, the ill-conceived pregnancy added a time crunch element that didn't previously exist. If Kelly hadn't needed to get to the Phoenix right away they could have eventually refined enough fuel to make the trip up and back as necessary.

Another example of how Kelly's dumb pregnancy was a fantastic detriment to the health and safety of her coworkers.

That still doesn't explain why they had to go get a chip or something.

"Kelly's gotta go right away!"
"But there's not enough fuel!"
"Nevermind that, we don't have a functioning docking module! Go get one!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nexus6 posted:

Pretty sure they left for the docking module before Kelly's collapse accelerated the timeline and obviated their whole sidequest by making the new plan for her to be a second stage in the MMU instead of docking the module.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

nexus6 posted:

Originally they had like a month to get the fuel but then they needed the automated docking board, then when they left to get that Kelly's health took a turn for the worse and everyone decided to launch now and with most of the people staying behind (Danielle and the Russian commander vote over video while driving to get the chip).

so they had to launch with 95% fuel.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the only thing her pregnancy did for the plot is make her a damsel in distress that a man (ed) gets to rescue with space bullshit. really drat reactionary plotline on the whole now that i've had some time to think

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

? Kelly saved herself with an insane untethered eva manuever while pregnant she's a space hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They could have at least had some simmer with Ed's conflict over the Father being a drat Rusky to work out but they just kill the guy off so that ends up going nowhere.

I have a conjecture it will be redeemed as a plot point with the time jump that the kid really is "A Martian," with no relief to return him to Earth he's a space oddity developing in low G and basically has to stay there, the very first pioneering Space Colonization Baby.

I seem to recall that being the main plot conceit of a movie that came out a few years back I remember from trailers at the time but never saw. But they're not shy about borrowing.

Jerkface posted:

? Kelly saved herself with an insane untethered eva manuever while pregnant she's a space hero

While diagetically true, it's funny that given the conceits of dramatic TV and the way it was shot we the audience pretty much know the MMU maneuver is almost certain to succeed and it's Ed's fate that is very much in question.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 22, 2022