Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Is that compliment or insult to the show?

Neither really.

Edit:
Post John k. RnS to be more precise.

Edit 2:
More dark and disturbing at times.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Crossposting from the Adult Animation thread:

https://owendennis.substack.com/p/so-uh-whats-going-on-with-infinity

Owen Dennis, creator of Infinity Train, shared what he knows about the situation with his show.

Basically, this is 100% on Discovery as Cartoon Network warned them that doing this would ruin their reputation with creators and fans. Discovery didn't care. This was all supposed to happen next week to give creators and probably fans time to prepare but Discovery did it early and didn't tell anyone; Owen found out while he was driving home and his phone started going off.

As far as he knows, Infinity Train will be on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and YouTube to buy. He doesn't know how long it will stay but does believe that, if you buy something off of iTunes and Apple loses the rights to sell it, they won't take it away from you. He doesn't know about the other services.

Owen also doesn't know if he's being lied to so that he'll be quiet and stop bothering people. Apparently there have been phone calls and emails for the past 3 days with zero answers because of the merger. Everyone who would know what's going on has either moved, been fired, or quit. He also implies that anyone who claims to know what's going on probably doesn't.

It's an interesting comment that apparently industry wide people are losing their poo poo at Discovery and Zaslav for this. Given that he apparently got into a screaming match with Board who wanted to shelve The Flash and he didn't it seems like this is going to play out in the ugliest way possible that hurts the most undeserving people and in the end no matter what Zaslav is going to walk away with a 9 digit severance package.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If we're lucky he'll get himself fired within the next 4 to 12 months and hopefully whoever takes over will be able to fix at least some of this mess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
doubt it, he makes the money people happy and that alone is enough for him to keep his place

e: plus the usual principle that men of his status literally can’t be allowed to face consequences, because of the precedent it might start

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 21, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think they will be happy though. He's burning down the company under the premise of saving money, and you have to be pretty stupid to not get what's going on.

There'll probably be a big dip in revenue, and it'll take a whole lot of accounting fraud to make that look close to acceptable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The merger loaded the company up with debt so cutting everything but $100 Property Flipperz: Houseboat Edition is exactly what the money people want.

Yes it's ruining a brand, but they'll be cashed out before that takes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think they will be happy though. He's burning down the company under the premise of saving money, and you have to be pretty stupid to not get what's going on.

There'll probably be a big dip in revenue, and it'll take a whole lot of accounting fraud to make that look close to acceptable.

Yeah this really feels like a corporate smash and grab. You buy a company, load it up with debt, fire half the staff, and strip the copper out of the wall in the name of savings and profitability. The company will inevitably fail and collapse but by the time that happens there's enough plausible deniability for the parent company to shrug and say "Welp, I guess that was a bad investment after all, oh well" before taking the company out behind the tool shed and stripping whatever assets/ips/etc they can from the corpse.

Isn't capitalism fantastic?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

readingatwork posted:

Yeah this really feels like a corporate smash and grab. You buy a company, load it up with debt, fire half the staff, and strip the copper out of the wall in the name of savings and profitability. The company will inevitably fail and collapse but by the time that happens there's enough plausible deniability for the parent company to shrug and say "Welp, I guess that was a bad investment after all, oh well" before taking the company out behind the tool shed and stripping whatever assets/ips/etc they can from the corpse.

Isn't capitalism fantastic?

This is basically what happened to Toys R Us

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toys R Us wasn't a merger, it was a holding company buying it and taking out loans in its name until it collapsed and the holding company would cut and run. A much cleaner grift, the same firm did the exact same thing with KB Toys earlier.

I think this is a much more confusing grift because I don't really see where the profit comes in. They don't seem very interested in any of Warner Brothers' existing revenue streams or its film library or IP vault (which is what normally drives these things, famously Disney wanting full access to Marvel and Star Wars or Cartoon Network basically founded in the first place by Turner Broadcasting buying Hannah-Barbera and ultimately rejuvenating it), so unless burning down the company somehow defrays more taxes than the entire cost of the corporate acquisition, it'll be a net loss.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doesn’t Discovery want to pivot hbo to all reality shows? I thought their position was that scripted drama is too expensive to return the kind of profit they want.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Doesn’t Discovery want to pivot hbo to all reality shows? I thought their position was that scripted drama is too expensive to return the kind of profit they want.

I wonder how it won't be a huge hit to revenue when people unsubscribe from HBO and HBO Max because no one wants to watch HONEY BOOBOO by paying 20 extra bucks a month to their cable company

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
it was Bain Capital, Mitt Romeny worked for them and during his failed 2012 prez run, Fox and the regressive media machine tried to say that the 3rd Batman movie 's Bane as villain was subliminal message to attack Mitt.

this is 100% a real thing that happen.

Also reminder that that gently caress face used Sean Smith's death for pol ammo. like literally within 3 days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PhazonLink posted:

Also reminder that that gently caress face used Sean Smith's death for pol ammo. like literally within 3 days.

He really thought he had the election in the bag after that speech.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's funny bringing up Mitt Romney, because he campaigned on, or at least was accused of wanting to demolish PBS if he became president like he did Toys R Us and other such American mainstays, and it put a significant hole in his campaign among his other bizarre :mitt: gaffs. It led to the accusation that Romney wanted to "kill Big Bird", and while he never got the chance to, it seems like David Zaslav remembered and finally managed to get at least one knife plunged in by deleting the Seasame Street show archive from HBO Max.

Axing Sesame Street probably had jack poo poo to do with any tax write offs and more to do with a chud like Zaslav striking a blow against it just because he could because Sesame Street has long been a conservative hate idol for being a public resource that actually teaches children skills, life lessons and values, and depicts racial equity while doing so. Chuds loving HATE Sesame Street.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Modern Sesame Street is really divorced from the "street" part that was so integral to our nostalgiavision of it.
Most of that was likely reruns from the 70s anyway.

Though it does a good job about concerns relating to how different people are, with stuff like autism, disabilities, etc.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Why couldn't they have memory-holed The Loud House instead? Life just isn't fair, you know?

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 14B: Two Boys and a Baby

Season 1, Episode 15A: House Music
Written by Kevin Sullivan
Storyboard by Violaine Briat
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: The house is participating in some kind of public talent show where families do stuff on stage and there's less than 24 hours left for the Louds to figure out their act. Rather than doing what a sane person would do and just drop out Luna gets the idea to start a family band despite nobody except herself and Lincoln for some reason being able to play an instrument. The band sucks but it's fine because they are all only in it to have fun. That is, until Luna hears that her hero Not Mick Jagger will be there for some reason and realizes that this might be an opportunity to be discovered. She instantly shifts gears and tries to whip her family into a respectable band but fails and is eventually kicked out for being insufferable. While trying to think up a song to perform on her own (I'm not sure how exactly she was supposed to perform since it was a family thing) she runs into Not Mick Jagger in disguise in a local diner who advises her to just have fun like she was doing in the first place. She realizes that she's been a jerk and rejoins the family band who do their performance and are really bad at it except for Luna who does a short guitar solo. Everybody has fun and at the end of the episode Not Mick Jagger in disguise reveals that he's Not Mick Jagger and compliments Luna on her performance.

Thoughts: Serious question, why the ever loving hell would you have one of your show's main cast members be built around music if you don't have anybody on staff with any musical talent or even a passing interest in the subject?

There are so many shows out there that do something like this and TLH's attempt is by far the most poorly executed of them all. I can forgive most of the voice cast not being musically inclined but even Luna herself is really bad which is just baffling to me. And the show knows this as well which is why 99% of the family's big performance is off-screen and Luna's solo only consists of about 5 seconds of a guitar riff that I suspect they purchased from a stock music site. I might have forgiven this if the show was otherwise funny or insightful in some way but it's really not. It's thoroughly unremarkable in both the writing and animation which left me at the end of the episode why it even existed at all.

Thinking about this episode my mind keeps going to Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers. Both have fantastic episodes with band themed premises but with far better execution. Adventure Time leverages Olivia Olson's incredible voice to have a fantastic musical moment that's great to watch on it's own. Meanwhile Bob's Burger's takes an approach similar to TLH with the band being bad but does so in a way that makes you appreciate the charm of outsider art made by non-professionals. TLH on the other hand never even really tries to leverage music in any fun way. It simply accepts that they don't have the resources to do a real musical number and works around it. Which is a shame because even if it were a disaster (and it probably would have been) I'd have at least respected them for trying.

Themes and morals: Speaking of Bob's Burgers this episode has a lot of thematic overlap with the episode “The Itty Bitty Ditty Committee”. In that one Gene starts a band and gets a gig at a popular kid's birthday party. However since he's not a proper musician and mostly just plays around he gets kicked out by the other members who have taken actual music classes. The episode asks the question of what the value is in art if you aren't able to leverage your skills professionally and settles on the same conclusion TLH does of “well it's fun isn't it?”. And it's a pretty cool message I think. Unfortunately TLH kind of fucks this up a bit by making the case that having fun ~will necessarily~ lead to professional success.

For those not into creative things like art or music I can tell you from experience that getting good at them is hard. Like, really hard. It requires hours of daily work that is very much not fun (practicing musical scales for example) and even if you're good at what you do there's no guarantee your passion will take you anywhere professionally. Bob's Burgers tackles this by having Gene rediscover music for his own enjoyment after getting booted from the band and having him going back to just playing around in front of his dad's restaurant. It works really well because you actually hear the kid's band playing with a cheap electric keyboard and straws and it's a lot of fun despite nobody being particularly good at it. TLH on the other hand wants to have it both ways and has the Not Mick Jagger character see them just having fun but recognizing her talent anyways. As a result the message ends up being not “the point of music is self expression and it's fine if you don't hit it big as long as you have fun” but instead “having fun is the key to professional success” which just isn't true. Still, being told to chill out and just enjoy music isn't the worst moral for kid's to hear so at the end of the day I can't be too mad about it.

Notable moment: Do you like this shot of Loud Dad's rear end shaking? No? Too bad, the show will make you watch it like five times.

Final thoughts: Aw heck, let's throw Steven Universe in there as well. God I love how darkly funny that song is, lmao.

Final Rating: Eh.

E: And while we're at it I also want to post this song from the AT specials because it's fantastic and I couldn't think of a good excuse to include it in the review proper.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 22, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I hate how they animated his butt-wiggle via just a horizontal transformation, you can see how it just stretches the laces on his shoes from the distortion

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I think it’s time to ask yourself - why are you doing this? Spending so much time writing about an at-best mediocre children’s show that you don’t seem to like at all?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I think it’s time to ask yourself - why are you doing this? Spending so much time writing about an at-best mediocre children’s show that you don’t seem to like at all?

:hmmyes:

Maybe look up which episodes people seem to genuinely like or rate highly and just skip to those?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I think it’s time to ask yourself - why are you doing this?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1964/07/18/the-swimmer

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

Maybe look up which episodes people seem to genuinely like or rate highly and just skip to those?

Why would I do that when it’s the really bad episodes that intrigue me?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Actual answer: I just kind of like hate watching this show. :shrug:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It just seems like a lot of time and effort put into 11 minute episodes of a C-tier Nick show. Like, yeah it’s bad, but most children’s animation is bad.

Idk, I think I’d rather read your in-depth and researched takes on something you actually enjoy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It just seems like a lot of time and effort put into 11 minute episodes of a C-tier Nick show. Like, yeah it’s bad, but most children’s animation is bad.

Idk, I think I’d rather read your in-depth and researched takes on something you actually enjoy.

Same. This Loud House stuff seems like it's better suited to a Post My Favourites thread than this one in all honesty.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The pursuit of the joy of analysis itself is value enough

I say that despite universally not reading those posts. You do you though, whatever makes you happy man

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean if it brings you joy keep up the good work, I've kind of been stalled out on my Gravity Falls rewatch and that's actually a good show. :smith:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

let the man post

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Loving how controversial this incredibly stupid personal project is :allears:

That said I agree that moving to PYF or something might a good idea so I don’t derail things here. I’ll let you all know when I set something up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean if it brings you joy keep up the good work, I've kind of been stalled out on my Gravity Falls rewatch and that's actually a good show. :smith:

I had the same problem. It turns out good shows are actually much harder to review than bad ones because there’s just not that much to talk about. It’s basically episode after episode of “This show did X and it was good. No notes”.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I liked Gravity Falls quite a lot, but I can't go back to it since I know too much about its production and I get sad.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/kingofsafari/status/1561774803563843584?s=21&t=HymNkKIX-Gp_1rTNB8ZPSA

He was a story board artist on Craig of the Creek. it sounds like it’s done looking at what other animators are saying in the replies :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's because of this

https://twitter.com/AnimationOnMax/status/1561791661444841477

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

That would explain it. That really sucks

TakenForGranite
Jan 13, 2015

Good lord, is there anything worse than just learning about something BECAUSE it was already cancelled? The poster for this looks gorgeous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can someone do a Saw on David Zaslav

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd be happy with him just getting fired

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

readingatwork posted:

I had the same problem. It turns out good shows are actually much harder to review than bad ones because there’s just not that much to talk about. It’s basically episode after episode of “This show did X and it was good. No notes”.
I've decided to do one a day so I reach to the end at the end of summer as planned. Let the words fall where they may!

Neeksy posted:

I liked Gravity Falls quite a lot, but I can't go back to it since I know too much about its production and I get sad.

I mean I know Hirsch has gone on record he kind of burned himself out given it was his first show, but there's not some other dark behind-the-scenes secrets are there? :ohdear:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Start :filez:ing everything associated with Cartoon Network because there’s a good chance it won’t exist next year.

ninjewtsu posted:

I'd be happy with him just getting fired

No we’re past that now. My soul yearns for vengeance.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've decided to do one a day so I reach to the end at the end of summer as planned. Let the words fall where they may!

I mean I know Hirsch has gone on record he kind of burned himself out given it was his first show, but there's not some other dark behind-the-scenes secrets are there? :ohdear:

There was something about him peeing in a sink or potted plant or something while he worked there

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

It's along the same lines as why very early on MST3K decided not to do comedies. There's only so many ways to say the joke didn't land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

He defecated in his office and it got bad enough he had to be sent home for hygiene issues, and from what I had heard from a friend in production it wasn't exactly a fun time for all of them either.
I also had a former classmate who worked on it that I had a falling out with over their kinda elitist attitude towards people struggling in the industry at the time, but that's more of a personal spoilage there.