Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

And hey, the swapovers delayed Team Evil for how many days? And it's taking a level 9 spell for their rogueless team to even get close to figuring it out. I'd say they did their job splendidly. (SoD) The ironic thing is that Right-Eye was a rogue, right? He could have figured it out instantly.

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I suspect this is why Sereni the meeting with Serini included the explanation that the Gate isn't in the backstage area. Plotwise, there's little reason to keep Team Evil stalled any longer, and it was already kind of straining. This way they can make progress without extra tension.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gnoman posted:

I suspect this is why Sereni the meeting with Serini included the explanation that the Gate isn't in the backstage area. Plotwise, there's little reason to keep Team Evil stalled any longer, and it was already kind of straining. This way they can make progress without extra tension.

A good strategy might have been to use magic to seal off the way to the gate with a lot of stone and have no nonmagical way to access it

It's not foolproof given that high level magic users exist but if you don't want anyone to reach the gate it's another obstacle at least

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The true gate is the friends you made along the way and xykon can never find it cause he never made any friends

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The true gate is the friends you made along the way and xykon can never find it cause he never made any friends

The true rift really was between Girard's buttcheeks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nimby posted:

The true rift really was between Girard's buttcheeks.

Given that he was at the top of the pyramid and the chamber was presumably in the center, all the way down, it was most likely directly below it, plausibly more or less between his cheeks

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Come to think, they never actually said it was between *Girard's* butt cheeks, and there is a statue of Kraagor nearby...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Come to think, they never actually said it was between *Girard's* butt cheeks, and there is a statue of Kraagor nearby...

Not anymore there isn't.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Given that he was at the top of the pyramid and the chamber was presumably in the center, all the way down, it was most likely directly below it, plausibly more or less between his cheeks

That frankly sounds like something Girard would do.

"Hey, bury me so my rear end is directly over the rift. It'll be funny."

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Yes they did.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Well crap, there goes my otherwise flawless theory.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Huh. I just noticed the callback to 831 there. Nice touch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i wanted a frame for a post and called out to my daughter 'where did Elan say DUN DUN DUNHH'? and she hotfooted it to the bookshelf and turned up the exact strip, i'm either an excellent or terrible parent, idk

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

sebmojo posted:

i wanted a frame for a post and called out to my daughter 'where did Elan say DUN DUN DUNHH'? and she hotfooted it to the bookshelf and turned up the exact strip, i'm either an excellent or terrible parent, idk

She didn't know it by heart?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE BAR posted:

She didn't know it by heart?

TERRIBLE IT IS

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Without specifying which time?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I went back to 830 (another wall of text page) and saw that Redcloak's spell doesn't control the gate, it allows The Dark One to move it to a different plane to threaten the other gods.

That makes me think Team Evil is going to get to the gate, but Durkon will be able to convince Redcloak/The Dark One to close the gates and contain the snarl.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

What is the callback?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gun Jam posted:

Without specifying which time?

She asked me that lol. The first time is after the chimera but the one I was thinking of was when elan had just been captured by evil azure guy.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

That makes me think Team Evil is going to get to the gate, but Durkon will be able to convince Redcloak/The Dark One to close the gates and contain the snarl.

I dunno. There's been too much foreshadowing about what's in the rifts for the story to just put a bow on it like that, I think.

OotS feels like it has at least one or two more big story arcs in it to me, and I'm eager to see where it goes when it finally ends in 2056, assuming Rich's hand doesn't fall off first.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SKULL.GIF posted:

What is the callback?

"diminishes us all"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ultrafilter posted:

"diminishes us all"

I don't really think it's a callback, there is nothing in common between the two strips other than "someone died".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's just a stock eulogy phrase being parodied.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1266.html

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

What a great strip. We're finally getting to watch the Team Evil dynamic break down, what a nice pay off this is going to be.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that Xykon was effortlessly complying for the entire strip, right up until he deliberately altered the deal for the sake of altering the deal.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
modrons rule

E: and liches drool

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 29, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Small tip for everyone: you can treat it as polarity and every odd number of letters changes the polarity while every even number keeps it the same. Saves you from totalling everything up.

This post will deliberately seem insane to everyone until they read the strip.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

oobey posted:

What a great strip. We're finally getting to watch the Team Evil dynamic break down, what a nice pay off this is going to be.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that Xykon was effortlessly complying for the entire strip, right up until he deliberately altered the deal for the sake of altering the deal.

That's the funniest part for sure. Making things harder for himself just so he can say he's in charge.

Random Stranger posted:

Small tip for everyone: you can treat it as polarity and every odd number of letters changes the polarity while every even number keeps it the same. Saves you from totalling everything up.

This post will deliberately seem insane to everyone until they read the strip.
I felt I was going crazy because I misread it as even lettered words the first time through.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 29, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

oobey posted:

He was not. Both sentences in the word balloon in panel eight are odd in total count and in the final word.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

He had way more expletives he could end his sentences with, had he gone with even.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So now their dynamic is really starting to get friction. Redcloak used to be into having fun on the journey, but now he's much more antsy about finally finishing the plan. And Xykon is getting more upset about having to stay put and work.

It's a fair point that counting all the letters in a sentence is hard to do and what he chose instead is easier, but he wasn't smart about it. Probably he's going to scupper the whole deal by saying gently caress.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

He was not. Both sentences in the word balloon in panel eight are odd in total count and in the final word.

Oh, I forgot to track sentences individually. I was parsing the entire balloon itself, whoops.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure that "speak only in sentences ending in words containing an even number", means that the sentence's total letter count doesn't matter, it's just the final word.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It might be that he's now forced to abide by the deal via geas. Hence his struggle in the last couple of panels.

I'm going to be very amused if or when they fight the order with that deal still happening and Roy is very confused but varsuuvius probably gets it right away.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

This has got to culminate in him blowing the deal at the most inopportune moment, right? Possibly at a time that saves the Order's bacon.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I wonder if it will influence what spells he can cast, considering they just shout the name in OOTS?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Just add bitch to the end of every spell cast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Meteor Swarm, Energy Drain: cool beans

Disjunction: whuh oh

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I'm pretty sure that "speak only in sentences ending in words containing an even number", means that the sentence's total letter count doesn't matter, it's just the final word.

The initial stipulation was that he count all the letters in his sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

The initial stipulation was that he count all the letters in his sentences.

Are you sure.