Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ill happily purchase mids, if thats what youre asking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think I could go the rest of my life without seeing seafoam green ever again.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think I could go the rest of my life without seeing seafoam green ever again.

Oh :smith: I love sea-foam green on minis.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

where do people source seafoam and other groundcover?

If you want to replicate seafoam you just stipple white on a beach setting.

But for ground cover just check out products from woodland scenics. They have some really awesome diorama stuff. Non-gaming hobby stores that cater to train modellers will have a lot of stuff that's really useful. Also a lot of those dudes have YouTube videos that you can steal ideas from. Like did you know that you can just crumple up aluminum foil then cover it with texture paste to make almost anything you'd ever want?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, there is a plant, Teloxis Aristata, which is known as "Seafoam", which is used to make realistic model trees. Heres a train guy using it to make trees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaofCBvJKo (which will be too fragile for wargaming on its own I think, but great for dioramas and train layouts) and heres luke from geekgamingscenics using seafoam to add branches to a tree armature which is a better way to use if for gaming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJr692r9Bo&t=246s

This is the seafoam I assumed punishedkissinger was asking about, not "foam on the sea" because yeah, just paint that in, you dont need to texture it, or buy one of the water effects kits that exist.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeast posted:

yeah!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Okay, there is a plant, Teloxis Aristata, which is known as "Seafoam", which is used to make realistic model trees. Heres a train guy using it to make trees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaofCBvJKo (which will be too fragile for wargaming on its own I think, but great for dioramas and train layouts) and heres luke from geekgamingscenics using seafoam to add branches to a tree armature which is a better way to use if for gaming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJr692r9Bo&t=246s

This is the seafoam I assumed punishedkissinger was asking about, not "foam on the sea" because yeah, just paint that in, you dont need to texture it, or buy one of the water effects kits that exist.

Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't rule out actual solidified seafoam because, you know, :modelers:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
When I first started painting like two years ago I saw a video that said you shouldn't use metallic paints with a wet palette because it seeps through the paper and ruins the sponge. So since then I've been following that advice but is it actually true? I'm working on a very metallic model and the drat paint keeps drying super fast and I am horribly fed up of it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I use a wet palette for metallics for exactly that reason and the worst that happens to me is you have to mix the pigments back up after an hour or two

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I find it to be true.

I use Vallejo liquid metal mainly though. Use isopropyl 91 to thin it and add some working time to it, and cover it up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Metallic pigments are much larger than pigments used in other acrylic paints, which don't seem to have that issue of seeping through the paper and into the sponge. So why do people think that metallic pigments can seep through the paper if non-metallic pigments can't?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeast posted:

My dislike of seafoam green is the fact that I spent so much time in ships with the walls painted seafoam green. Your application looks very nice!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have deteriorated the papers that come with the GSW pallette that it seeped through from overuse in that one area of the paper, less so with redgrass though.

Metallics (leadbelcher) seeped through the greenstuffworld paper too, but not the redgrass paper.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I decided that a Squig would be the first model I've painted since 2000, mainly so I don't have to attempt a humanoid face.

It's not going particularly well so far. Everything is tiny, very fiddly, and random bits of paint are going on the wrong place. Fun though!

May go back to dwarves after this. They're all 90% armour and beard so can just get away with drybrushing most of them.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My dislike of seafoam green is the fact that I spent so much time in ships with the walls painted seafoam green. Your application looks very nice!

Oh! You’re the painter at sea. I love your tales. And yeah, that would drive me nuts too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeast posted:

Oh! You’re the painter at sea. I love your tales. And yeah, that would drive me nuts too.

Unfortunately I was too low ranked to be able to paint at sea, I imagine the painter at sea must be either with MSC or an officer of some type. I was a lowly enlisted peon.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Unfortunately I was too low ranked to be able to paint at sea, I imagine the painter at sea must be either with MSC or an officer of some type. I was a lowly enlisted peon.

Oh! Yeah there’s a goon who’s on a container ship who also paints hams. Hell of a skill if you ask me.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I don’t think you’re talking about me but I’m sitting on a container ship painting my hams. Good time to get through a backlog. 🤷‍♀️

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Here is a terrible Squig. I bought him(?) in 1993/4. It's the first Squig I've ever done, and the first anything I've painted in over 20 years.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hViSENm

It looks a lot pinker in the picture than in real life.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
that's a terrible squig

great and terrible

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gambrinus posted:

Here is a terrible Squig. I bought him(?) in 1993/4. It's the first Squig I've ever done, and the first anything I've painted in over 20 years.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hViSENm

It looks a lot pinker in the picture than in real life.

He's wonderful. :kimchi:

Here's some skellies I painted as a palate cleanser after my competition entry. They were so much fun, can't wait to paint the second batch. I bought some soft pastels for pigment powder, so now I have no excuse not to go for magical terrain all the time.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

These are grand and, in fact, magical looking.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My latest Escher lady and a few more magnetized arms

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1561374595252457473

The wash is super shiny, it's Future based, so I really need to get some matte spray one day to see how these will look :|

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Radiation Cow posted:

He's wonderful. :kimchi:

Here's some skellies I painted as a palate cleanser after my competition entry. They were so much fun, can't wait to paint the second batch. I bought some soft pastels for pigment powder, so now I have no excuse not to go for magical terrain all the time.

Goodness, they're complex. Last time I looked at skeletons they came in this box https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/warhammer-fantasy-oop-skeleton-army-508195498

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
those skeletons are fairly tame compared to the rest of GW's current stuff

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

The entire Cursed City box is quality minis, and the skeletons are definitely some of the least complex in the set. That's why I like them so much, so many modern GW minis are waaay too ornate.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

The entire Cursed City box is quality minis, and the skeletons are definitely some of the least complex in the set. That's why I like them so much, so many modern GW minis are waaay too ornate.

I got Cursed City when it first came out and made the mistake of assembling everything immediately and that killed my motivation (along with the whole fiasco of the release and more opinions on the game coming out) and now I'm sitting on 1.5 Cursed City minis painted and a sea of grey plastic :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Oof, and I doubt you can recoup your costs like you could when it was OOP. Maybe you'll get the motivation again at some point, they're fantastic sculpts. And building them is the worst part, some bits are so fragile.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

Oof, and I doubt you can recoup your costs like you could when it was OOP. Maybe you'll get the motivation again at some point, they're fantastic sculpts. And building them is the worst part, some bits are so fragile.

Between Frostgrave, Silver Bayonet, and Five Leagues from the Borderlands, I'm confident I'll have a use for all the minis even if I don't play a single minute of Cursed City.

It's just an issue of motivating myself to get to painting and magnetizing the bases for storage.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Radiation Cow posted:

And then people go out and buy those third party Chaos models with like 50 spikes per kneepad

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I don’t think you’re talking about me but I’m sitting on a container ship painting my hams. Good time to get through a backlog. 🤷‍♀️

How many goons can there possibly be hobbying on container ships at the moment?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Goons? In my container ships?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Did some skaven. The first skaven I've ever owned. I was always attracted to the mad artillery and weird warpstone stuff when I was younger but was put off them by the rank and file being so low value I would have to have about a million to have a decent army. The feet need a bit of a going over. Apologies for flooding the thread a bit, work's been a bit rough and getting back into this is dead good fun.

https://imgur.com/a/hIaUhrg

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

The global supply chain crisis is finally explained

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Beffer posted:

The global supply chain crisis is finally explained

The goons, they keep getting stuck in canals

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Finally for tonight, a goblin fanatic in blue. Next to one I painted in about 1994.

https://imgur.com/a/BvUQJKe

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

How do you think we pay for a forgeworld addiction? :negative:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am so excited for my 3D printer to arrive. I already purchased like 100 bucks worth of STL files and organized a bunch of folders and am getting some experience with the software and whatnot. Too bad I am still a month out or so. The wash and cure station have shipped though. And a grow tent to encapsulate it have shipped as well. I have a non temperature controlled garage so I think I have to put the printer in a spare room/home office room, hence the grow tent. I need to pick up an exhaust fan set-up and window attachment. OR, option two, run the exhaust hose down through the crawl-space and out the foundation vent. Does that plan sound crazy? If I did it like that I can put the 3D printer set-up in a large closet under my stairs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Well, I decided to go ahead and pick up a 3d printer, because I think it will be really fun to print off goofy little upgrades and bases and everything, and maybe try to print off some actual minis to see how nice they are. I had to do a pre-order so I have a little while to collect some .stl files and whatnot. The printer I ordered had some really good reviews on Youtube, it is called a Saturn 2 and it is made by this company called Elegoo. So when I get that all set up in September when it is scheduled to arrive I can let the thread know how it prints!

I have a Mars Pro from Elegoo. It is a good printer, but please save yourself my struggles and triple check your exposures. I was trying to get by on 5 to 7 second layers and had failures half the time. Now that I looked up some more useful settings and recommendations I have 15 second layers and get zero failures.

I think the Saturn is a higher resolution printer so likely needs lower exposures, but like I said, check, check and check again to save yourself frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have a Mars Pro from Elegoo. It is a good printer, but please save yourself my struggles and triple check your exposures. I was trying to get by on 5 to 7 second layers and had failures half the time. Now that I looked up some more useful settings and recommendations I have 15 second layers and get zero failures.

I think the Saturn is a higher resolution printer so likely needs lower exposures, but like I said, check, check and check again to save yourself frustration.

Spending the time dialling in your exposure time is very solid advice. The mars pro was an RGB screen (three layers of red/green/blue the UV light needs to penetrate) while the saturn 2 will have a monochrome screen (only one layer to penetrate), the saturn will need significantly less exposure times. It will vary depending on resin but ~2-3s exposure is pretty common for standard resins on a monochrome, going up longer if you add flexible resins. 15 seconds on a monochrome will cook the layer beyond recognition. :v: