Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Asema posted:

there was a real fear with how absolutely terrible GoT's last two seasons were that nobody was going to watch this.

I had to basically drag my partner away from Cult of the Lamb to watch because of how bad the last entry in the property flopped.
I kinda feel like this episode in particular, but also the next couple will determine whether a lot of people bother continuing to watch. If it had started out like a S7 or 8 mess then people might just have decided to not even bother getting invested.

Really, the possibility that this first episode might be even more of a train wreck could have convinced some people to watch it, just so they don't miss out on the drama.

Ethiser posted:

I love that the king’s hobby is chiseling scale miniatures. He’s got the medieval version of someone’s model train system that they’ve built in their basement.
And then the neighbor sends his daughter down to console him with a cope of the History of Trains book after his wife passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ninurta posted:

Rickon Stark is one of the montage lords who swear fealty to the King & Rhaenys no, Princess Rhaenyra. I hate GRR Martin's Valerian names.

He looked a little non-descript, I wonder if they’ll recast him before he has a bigger part in the story with the hour of the wolf.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ruddiger posted:

He looked a little non-descript, I wonder if they’ll recast him before he has a bigger part in the story with the hour of the wolf.
Book spoilers: he's dead by then. His much more interesting son leads the Hour of the Wolf.

I do wonder, if the show runs to its intended endpoint, when exactly that'll be. We're gonna get at least some of the reign of Aegon III, right? Because you don't specificially show Rickon Stark there unless you're setting up the Hour of the Wolf. But that's a sorta epilogue-y bit, and there's no real concrete endpoint I can see. Maybe the Starks leaving and Aegon just sitting on his throne, looking depressed and alone? Not tremendously satisfying, that, but sort of the entire point of Aegon III is that nothing about him was satisfying.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i like king soft boi and his clear discomfort at all this squabbling and how it forces him to make big, important decisions

the actor does a really good job of portraying a man who is not malicious or outrageously incompetent but a bad person to put in charge of a crisis situation

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't believe the king in the dragon house show once had a beer mustache in hot fuzz what acting range

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I didn't realize about how they are doing the season is (production/lore spoilers} They are going to jump back and forth between the time frame we saw last night, and ~15 years or so in the future, with Alicent and Rhaneyra (and probably others!) played by older actors in the later timeline. I don't know where we're going to be spending most of our time, or exactly how much they're gonna jump, but the kid they cast as Aegon II is 27. They've also cast "young Aegon" and "infant Aegon" so we might be jumping between more than just two time frames.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
one of the cool things about GoT and a few other shows and movies was the use of real environments, costumes, people and etc over green screens and CGI where possible.

so that's in the trash now, too

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

QuoProQuid posted:

i like king soft boi and his clear discomfort at all this squabbling and how it forces him to make big, important decisions

the actor does a really good job of portraying a man who is not malicious or outrageously incompetent but a bad person to put in charge of a crisis situation
I liked that too. "Nice guy, bad king" is a very hard tightrope to walk already, and they did it all with subtext. Nobody calls Viserys a bad king, the kingdom is in good shape, he's got smart advisors giving him generally good advice, he makes no political screwups. And it is manifestly obvious that he has no goddamn business being on a throne.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

And it is manifestly obvious that he has no goddamn business being on a throne.

It's even literally killing him

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cranappleberry posted:

one of the cool things about GoT and a few other shows and movies was the use of real environments, costumes, people and etc over green screens and CGI where possible.

so that's in the trash now, too

Other than the dragon flying over King's Landing and the wide shots of the stadium I didn't notice loads of green screen or CGI?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

QuoProQuid posted:

I think part of it is just the look of the guy -- dude in no way looks "kingly", he seems like any random schlub with a five o'clock shadow.

Can anyone give me a broad summary of this period of "history" on the show? I wanna be in on all the jokes when you guys are like "oh man, she's not gonna have a good time with this!" Spoilers away, I just want the longpost version because I'll never read another GRRM book.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/ButWithRaptors/...818660465000450

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

stev posted:

Other than the dragon flying over King's Landing and the wide shots of the stadium I didn't notice loads of green screen or CGI?

the dragon was cgi because they were too lazy and cheap to get a real one

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CapnAndy posted:

I liked that too. "Nice guy, bad king" is a very hard tightrope to walk already, and they did it all with subtext. Nobody calls Viserys a bad king, the kingdom is in good shape, he's got smart advisors giving him generally good advice, he makes no political screwups. And it is manifestly obvious that he has no goddamn business being on a throne.

Tbf he's not a particularly nice guy what with the murdering his wife and all.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Does Viserys have a dragon? Rhaenys? How many are there supposed to be in this period? Seems like there's only two...

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

stev posted:

Tbf he's not a particularly nice guy what with the murdering his wife and all.

Was there a way they could have sacrificed the baby to save her? I thought the implication was "do the C-section and sacrifice the mother, or let them both die?"

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Does Viserys have a dragon? Rhaenys? How many are there supposed to be in this period? Seems like there's only two...

I think they said 10 in the opening narration, sizes unknown (I think Daemon's is supposed to be the largest of the current batch)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Was there a way they could have sacrificed the baby to save her? I thought the implication was "do the C-section and sacrifice the mother, or let them both die?"

I'd have to rewatch to be sure but it felt like it was very much framed as a choice - especially with the way Rhaenyra reacted.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The implication was more “let things play out naturally but very likely both will die” which I think is accurate for the time. He was a complete coward by not telling her what was happening though.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Yes, that choice being the queen dies or the queen and the baby die.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Viserys had Belerion the Black Dread who died of old age.
Rhaenys rides Viserys' Mom Alysanne's dragon Silverwing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

runaway dog posted:

Viserys had Belerion the Black Dread who died of old age.

He was the huge rear end skull, right?

As to how many dragons, according to the production there are 17, and we will see 10 of them this season

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

At some point in the show they mentioned that the Targaryens have 10

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

stev posted:

I'd have to rewatch to be sure but it felt like it was very much framed as a choice - especially with the way Rhaenyra reacted.
The maesters framed it as "let us kill your wife and save the baby or do nothing and pray for a miracle, because right now as far as we can tell, they're both gonna die". He made a horrible but prrrrrrobably correct call, even if he did it in the weakest way possible by, y'know, not giving his wife any input on the decision or even a heads-up before they cut her to death.

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone give me a broad summary of this period of "history" on the show? I wanna be in on all the jokes when you guys are like "oh man, she's not gonna have a good time with this!" Spoilers away, I just want the longpost version because I'll never read another GRRM book.
GREAT BIG SPOILERS FOR PROBABLY THE WHOLE SHOW

Viserys is gonna marry Alicent and they have sons, so uh-oh, succession crisis. Viserys doesn't want to hear it because as far as he's concerned it's a settled matter, which helps nothing. Alicent's kids are of disputed parentage -- they look an awful lot like Lord Strong, the (Tarly-looking, but they're unrelated) guy on the Small Council, who Alicent is quite friendly with (or maybe his son, I'm not looking it up, whatever). Rhaenyra and Alicent become bitter, bitter rivals. Rhaenyra gets married and has sons of her own. Her sons and Alicent's sons hate each other. Their two factions are eventually named the Greens (Alicent) and the Blacks (Rhaenyra), after gowns they wore to one particular ball. Daemon is a repeated rake and gently caress-arounder, but Viserys loves him and they always make up. Rhaenyra and Criston Cole, the Dornish knight who won that tourney, become very close. Viserys keeps the peace in his own weak, not-quite-enough way.

Then he dies of old age.

Bloody civil war breaks out literally before his body is even cold.

Something happens between Rhaenyra, Daemon, and Cole. We don't know exactly what, except that from that day forth, Criston Cole is Rhaenyra's most devoted enemy and Daemon and Rhaenyra are sleeping together.

The Greens and Blacks gather up their respective loyal vassals and dragons and loving massacre each other, through open battle, secrecy, and treachery. Houses switch sides. Possession of King's Landing itself shifts multiple times. Near the very end, as King's Landing riots and is gripped by we're-all-gonna-die madness, an unknown mad preacher rises up out of nowhere, inciting a mob to storm the Dragonpit (the big round building where all the dragons live). They do and kill every dragon housed there, wiping out almost every surviving dragon that the civil war didn't already do for (and a lot of dragons are gonna die in this thing).

At the end of it, Rhaenyra's side "wins", as it's her son on the Iron Throne, but this is mostly because both sides are out of loving options -- he's the last known male Targaryen alive. He's wed to one of Alicent's descendants to seal the schism. The reigning Stark, having finally gotten his forces down from the North, rolls into town with a completely fresh army and is like "well, clearly none of you incompetent fuckers can be trusted, I'm in charge", makes himself Hand of the King, executes anyone who's still alive who was at all responsible for the war... then fucks off and goes home. Because he is smart and Starks shouldn't stay in King's Landing.

Both the new king and his wife are horribly psychologically broken by the war. Later on, she kills herself (probably) by jumping out of a window before they can even consumate the marriage. He lives a decently long time but is known as The Broken, The Unlucky, and The Dragonbane, because the few dragons who survived the war all die during his reign. (He's likely not very fond of them, having been forced to watch while Rhaenyra was fed alive to one.)

The Targaryens never really pull out of the doom spiral, although Aegon V does his best to arrest the decline and Rhaegar might've been able to do it, but Robert's warhammer never gave him a chance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are we still getting a second Fire & Blood book at some point? I wonder if it's going to be a whole other GoT situation if the show does well where they're relying on him filling in the gaps and releasing a book about the next era of the dynasty for them to move onto in season 3/4/whenever.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

stev posted:

Are we still getting a second Fire & Blood book at some point? I wonder if it's going to be a whole other GoT situation if the show does well where they're relying on him filling in the gaps and releasing a book about the next era of the dynasty for them to move onto in season 3/4/whenever.

oh jesus this is what's gonna happen isn't it?

zoux posted:

He was the huge rear end skull, right?

Si

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

stev posted:

We are supposed to, yes, but I assure you that is not the case. The first one covers more than up to the likely endpoint of this show.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Decent pilot - I'd keep watching even if I hadn't seen GoT - but (a) I had to keep reminding myself that Matt Smith isn't playing an elf and (b) they should cut the ominous references to the long winter since we know it will be short and anticlimactic. It will be the worst season, but not in the way they mean.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, hated secret prophecy poo poo. Show writers stop adding major plot points, you fail in it every time.

That was GRRM's addition.
https://gizmodo.com/game-of-thrones-house-of-the-dragon-hbo-max-1849441608

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

stev posted:

Are we still getting a second Fire & Blood book at some point?

Haha Oh yeah for sure

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zoux posted:

Haha Oh yeah for sure

Probably before we get another ASoIaF book.

LOL j/k we're never getting another core series book

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

So later today/tomorrow HBO will be out with a PR confirming that HOT D was the "most watched premiere of all time" or w/e. Not terribly surprising.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1561834286323417089

And so it has come to pass

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
gonna be sick when Matt Smith busts out a spear and uses JUMP

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

iirc GRRM's plan was to release Fire & Blood -> Winds of Winter -> Fire & Blood Part 2 so no it's never coming out

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

gonna be sick when Matt Smith busts out a spear and uses JUMP

:hai:

He'll disappear for an episode but make a big impact when he gets back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hear GRRM only agreed to let the showrunners make this show if they could successfully guess which of the Targs in his history was actually a velociraptor, and was stunned when they got it right. :hmmyes:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

We are supposed to, yes, but I assure you that is not the case. The first one covers more than up to the likely endpoint of this show.

You say that, but it seems like maybe two seasons of story to me.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lister posted:

You say that, but it seems like maybe two seasons of story to me.

do we know how long they plan on telling this prequel? They have like six loving Game of Thrones spinoffs in the works right now so maybe they can just tell the story and be done with it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cleopatra wasn't hot, she was charming.

:goonsay:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Asema posted:

do we know how long they plan on telling this prequel? They have like six loving Game of Thrones spinoffs in the works right now so maybe they can just tell the story and be done with it

They might do the Dance with Dragons part in two seasons and then do a soft reboot for the 3rd for the next era of Targaryen rule. Then eventually follow things through up to the mad king. But hey, it's way too early to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i doubt they would go this direction but one fun approach would be to do a targaryen anthrology series which each season focused on a different inbred idiot