Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LanceKing2200 posted:

New Sheoldred is a slam dunk in wheel decks, but I don't think she'll see much play outside of that.

I think she’ll see plenty of play. Even if just to “shut down” Rhystic Study or Mystic Remora. It’s a great counter to heavy card advantage decks and metas.

Underworld Dreams and Fate Unraveller have nothing on her - she’s a real clock.

In more competitive scenes she puts REAL pressure on Ad Naus decks, while giving you more leeway for your own Naus or Peer Into The Abyss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Windmill slamming Sheoldred into my K’rrik deck at the speed of sound, melting the sleeves and cracking the Boulder deck box in half like sugar glass

“Cast “Peer into the Abyss”…”

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Bust Rodd posted:

Windmill slamming Sheoldred into my K’rrik deck at the speed of sound, melting the sleeves and cracking the Boulder deck box in half like sugar glass

“Cast “Peer into the Abyss”…”

:same:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The printing of new braids has me thinking about old braids, and how it’s still banned in commander. I don’t think it should be, and the unbanning of worldfire had me hopeful it would be removed, but maybe I don’t understand how good it would be as a stax deck?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Chakan posted:

The printing of new braids has me thinking about old braids, and how it’s still banned in commander. I don’t think it should be, and the unbanning of worldfire had me hopeful it would be removed, but maybe I don’t understand how good it would be as a stax deck?

Spongebob bird meme, drawn to vaguely look like Sheldon, saying something about it being unfun or not what the RC wants for Commander.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

15 years ago braids was terrifying, she's just on the list out of inertia at this point. She's kind of awful unless you pump her out quickly and even then you have to have a plan for feeding her trigger without owning yourself as well.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I shared this in another thread (apologies for the lovely phone scans), and while it's from the official strategy guide to a different multiplayer CCG from ages past (Rage), a lot of the attitude still holds, and is still just as useless for any sort of competitive play:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

15 years ago braids was terrifying, she's just on the list out of inertia at this point. She's kind of awful unless you pump her out quickly and even then you have to have a plan for feeding her trigger without owning yourself as well.

I'm super bummed Nu-Braids doesn't let you sac as many things as you want per turn to drain everyone else of life. Cause that poo poo would have been super easy to slot into a Prosper treasure focused deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
From a gameplay perspective Braids in antithetical to the format. She creates gamestates in which the mono-black player has basically locked the table out of playing any permanents until they can kill Braids. Some decks literally can’t outpace a Braids lock because they weren’t built to create multiple perm ants every turn, especially not the same turns that Braids shows up. She is banned for the same reasons that I think Leovold & Iona are banned, I can’t ever see her coming off.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dominaria-united-commander-decklists-2022-08-19

precon decklists are out. not sure if what all the new cards do has been revealed yet.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fierce Guardianship now at $80+, wew.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dominaria-united-commander-decklists-2022-08-19

precon decklists are out. not sure if what all the new cards do has been revealed yet.

No surprise that the WUBRG deck is sorta all over the place. But drat no rocks to help mana fixing, and of course the lands.......bad.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Amazon appears to have listed the Brother's War precons as well. $36

Urza's Iron Alliance (WUB)
Mishra's Burnished Banner (UBR)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Strongly considering just building a Nath deck again.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Command Zone revealed that 79 reprints in the Carthalion precon, value not counting for new cards since they're not out yet and not been played is only $83.86. *sad trombone*.

Not the lowest they've had but holy poo poo it's low for a 5 color precon.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Did I mess up and tune this deck a little too much for a first time FNM? I may have added somethings that added a little spice but it does need multiple piece before it can go off.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/URcninQgnEGo-18FMKNg4w

Since I already committed should I bring the kaldheim elf precon just in case?

Edit: this deck was in fact not too strong. Played 5 games, lost to infinite turns, turn 3? Food chain, captain sisay, flying commander damage, and did win one. MVP was corpse knight+jadar combo which did around 100 damage across all opponents. Also drauthi voidwalker and skull clamp are not okay cards.

Things I learned: mulling and having to shuffle 100 double sleeved cards sucks doubly if everyone is waiting, there is never enough removal/board wipes, and arena was doing so much of the heavy lifting that I don't think I'm that good at playing magic.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 20, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Is treasure ubiquitous enough now that Viridian Revel is worth playing in mono-G or green two-color decks? I feel like it might be.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lots of anti-treasure tech is considered a staple of cEDH, I don’t really see anti-treasure cards in casual pods

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I can't wait to see "The Reaver Cleaver".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Reaver Cleaver is AWESOME and it’s almost got me wanting to brew a Dargo pile

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Reaver Cleaver is going in my NFT deck immediately

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

For a hot second I didn't notice reaver cleaver specified combat damage and was about to go rebuild Nekusar lmao

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

LibrarianCroaker posted:

really cool thinking that i can get the legends one for my legendary tribal and i already see a good chunk that i already own. haven't checked painbow tho.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The DMU release notes leaked early (like they did with the previous Dominaria set): https://www.docdroid.net/zxMwUTQ/dmu-release-notes-20220804-en-pdf

Might be worth looking through to look at the Legendary creatures if you don't really care about spoilers.

E:

There are also Commander Card-Specific notes starting on page 56.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 21, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
We better get a new Mairsil in Brothers' War :mad:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanted to get Painbow to make a Domain deck but it seems like it won't actually help with that so I'll just make one myself.

Also trying to make a Rebbec/Armix deck. I know Silas-Renn would be better but I don't have him.

Heath posted:

We better get a new Mairsil in Brothers' War :mad:

He's from The Dark though. Like 8 generations after the war.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://mythicspoiler.com/dmu/cards/timelesslotus.html

Huh

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Thanks, I hate it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Relatively inoffensive and useless trash mythic, I give it a 5/10

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Can't wait to Nature's Claim it at the end of someone's turn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Since you're in five color anyway any green mana doubler effect is likely gonna be way better, and those aren't even any good.

This card exists solely for slow decks with bad mana bases.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It does go infinite in a lot of different (mostly bad) ways, so that's something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just give me a cool sparkly full art of it and I'll stick it in my Karona deck I don't even care

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Going infinite is for cowards who need a safety net. Real players don't go infinite, and they stick to their plan, no matter how poorly thought out and ineffective it is.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I just noticed it's a mythic rare. Gross.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

AlternateNu posted:

I just noticed it's a mythic rare. Gross.

it's lotus cobra all over again. something that should be an uncommon, or rare at best, but since it has "lotus" in the name it's a loving mythic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

it's lotus cobra all over again. something that should be an uncommon, or rare at best, but since it has "lotus" in the name it's a loving mythic.

Except that lotus cobra was good and this is, uh, not.

I'd be very happy if every mythic was this kind of card tbh but when it's a mix of great cards and poo poo cards it really sucks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sometimes you get Vengevine and sometimes you get this.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Shortest Path posted:

Except that lotus cobra was good and this is, uh, not.

Oh yeah, not a comment on playability but just sayin', really good mana dorks and lovely expensive mana rocks both should be uncommon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

syntaxfunction posted:

Going infinite is for cowards who need a safety net. Real players don't go infinite, and they stick to their plan, no matter how poorly thought out and ineffective it is.

Counterpoint: I need scientific notation to express the number of +1/+1 counters I am putting on my creatures.