Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is pepsi ok posted:

Cyberpunk probably would have ruled as a small little side project to hold people over between Witcher games instead of trying to make a massive AAA with every feature ever. Like a 10-20 hours isometric RPG with the same basic story and voice acting would have been perfect.

night city is incredible, like it's the best video game city hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
What are all the actual Soulslike games?

I would say:

The FromSoft obvious ones:
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Sekiro
Bloodborne
Elden Ring

And obvious copycats like:
Mortal Shell
The Surge

But I wouldn't really include anything else. Even like, Blasphemous and Titan Souls that would probably call themselves 'Soulslike', I think nah. Because that's just such a different type of game, those are Metroidvanias or something. I'll never change my view on that, and it's nothing to do with computer games or my liking of them, just a semantics thing that absolutely transfers to other topics. Don't call it something so specific unless you mean to be so specific. That's my view.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hollow knight is the best soulslike

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hollow knight is just a metroid game and its not even the best one of those

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the Clockwork Mansion level is genuinely one of the greatest levels in all of videogames

my first playthrough i figured out the puzzle in the entry room and skipped the whole level. whoops

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

darksouls is just a metroid prime

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

!Klams posted:

Even like, Blasphemous and Titan Souls that would probably call themselves 'Soulslike'

They don't call themselves Souls-like (well idk about Titan Souls, but Blasphemous didn't, nor did anything else I've played that got tagged as such), but rather it's some neanderthals who've played maybe 2 video games in their entire life and so they parse the most tenuous of things as homage to the one game they know about.

Like I hear people unironically say "The sword attack is kinda slow, so it's a Souls-like" and all I can think is 'you loving idiot'.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

They don't call themselves Souls-like (well idk about Titan Souls, but Blasphemous didn't, nor did anything else I've played that got tagged as such), but rather it's some neanderthals who've played maybe 2 video games in their entire life and so they parse the most tenuous of things as homage to the one game they know about.

Like I hear people unironically say "The sword attack is kinda slow, so it's a Souls-like" and all I can think is 'you loving idiot'.

now you know what rogue-like players feel. its a bitter taste isn't it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

!Klams posted:

What are all the actual Soulslike games?

I would say:

The FromSoft obvious ones:
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Sekiro
Bloodborne
Elden Ring

And obvious copycats like:
Mortal Shell
The Surge

But I wouldn't really include anything else. Even like, Blasphemous and Titan Souls that would probably call themselves 'Soulslike', I think nah. Because that's just such a different type of game, those are Metroidvanias or something. I'll never change my view on that, and it's nothing to do with computer games or my liking of them, just a semantics thing that absolutely transfers to other topics. Don't call it something so specific unless you mean to be so specific. That's my view.

Sekiro is not a soulslike

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rutibex posted:

now you know what rogue-like players feel. its a bitter taste isn't it

Have you not seen me in the RL thread making GBS threads it up with my excellent posting? Everything being called a RL is just a tragedy of people being misinformed about what the word meant and running with it. I forgive their ignorance and their unwitting lingual drift of the phrase. But the people calling everything a souls-like? Oh no, that's entirely on them as an individual, and their lack of anything resembling a synapse firing. Morons.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fridge corn posted:

But it's made by the souls company.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Blasphemous rules. Hollow Knight drools.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The Messenger is more fun and cleverer than Hollow Knight

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Blasphemous rules. Hollow Knight drools.

They both suck play a real game.

Like call of duty.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

Right, even that one is contentious. But, third person RPG that is hard, where when you die or rest all the enemies respawn, with crushingly hard bossfights that you have to get back to to try again, with a safe hub area that you level up from weird NPCs in? I think if you don't call Sekiro one, you don't call Bloodborne one either, tbh. I think it makes the cut purely by virtue of being actually FROMSoft, and so having the same weirdness to it in exactly the correct degree.

Serephina posted:

Yeah, I mean, this is my take too, I didn't wanna just come in hot with "You loving idiot" right out the gate, but, these are very clearly NOT AT ALL THE SAME THING to me. I think at least with Blasphemous, they very much intended to rip off the lore style and secrets style and general vibe of Dark Souls. I remember reading about that. So, you know, in at least some regard they set out to 'emulate' Dark Souls. But that doesn't make it a similar game. At all.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I really did very much not get the hollow knight hype. Also, that game felt much more like, something like, 'steamworld dig', say, to me, than a souls game. I absolutely will not countenance this as being in any shape a Soulslike.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dr.Smasher posted:

Are you talking about when you sneak into the investor's mansion and use the torture device to make him incredibly stupid? because that is pretty hosed up.

Yes and saving the Clockwork Killer means that she remembers every detail of her grisly murders.and cutting Breanna off from the void basically robs her of her entire identity.It's so hosed up.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

!Klams posted:

Right, even that one is contentious. But, third person RPG that is hard, where when you die or rest all the enemies respawn, with crushingly hard bossfights that you have to get back to to try again, with a safe hub area that you level up from weird NPCs in? I think if you don't call Sekiro one, you don't call Bloodborne one either, tbh. I think it makes the cut purely by virtue of being actually FROMSoft, and so having the same weirdness to it in exactly the correct degree.

Yeah, I mean, this is my take too, I didn't wanna just come in hot with "You loving idiot" right out the gate, but, these are very clearly NOT AT ALL THE SAME THING to me. I think at least with Blasphemous, they very much intended to rip off the lore style and secrets style and general vibe of Dark Souls. I remember reading about that. So, you know, in at least some regard they set out to 'emulate' Dark Souls. But that doesn't make it a similar game. At all.

I really did very much not get the hollow knight hype. Also, that game felt much more like, something like, 'steamworld dig', say, to me, than a souls game. I absolutely will not countenance this as being in any shape a Soulslike.

Souls games have level ups, so most of this post is very wrong.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

How the gently caress can a game be a "souls like" without even copying the souls mechanic?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sebmojo posted:

I think it's well made and on the right side of realistic, but that comes with the downside of, it has all the weird off-ramps and unwalkable parts of a real city. Plenty of times I found myself close to my destination on foot, only to find it was somewhere way above or below me. Sometimes there was an elevator, but most of the time you had to get back to the freeway and figure out where to disembark from.

I seem to recall there being some kind of fast travel system, but I rarely wanted to use it because yeah, great city design

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Night City felt all dead without the [Greet, Antagonize, Rob] mechanic that made RDR2's towns feel lived in and inhabited.

Night city was a cool city populated by mannequins.

Similar to GTAV. You get, what, a prompt for a single "hey how are ya?" for 99% of npc's, yeah?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

kntfkr posted:

Night City felt all dead without the [Greet, Antagonize, Rob] mechanic that made RDR2's towns feel lived in and inhabited.

Night city was a cool city populated by mannequins.

Similar to GTAV. You get, what, a prompt for a single "hey how are ya?" for 99% of npc's, yeah?

gtav at least had enough different peds and actions for them to be doing that if you didn't interact with them it all looked realistic enough to watch.

cyberpunk they just look like mindless zombies walking about doing nothing. or there will be multiple dudes doing the exact same animation next to each other lol.

I agree that rdr2 did it best though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

it's not some completely ignorant/baseless opinion, Blasphemous obviously took the bonfire & estus mechanics directly from Dark Souls.
But calling it a "Soulslike" for some side mechanics is like calling Super Smash Bros a jrpg because Cloud still has his limit break meter.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

!Klams posted:

You don't level up in sekiro, nor are there hundreds of weapons and armour and stats to make a build out of. Its souls adjacent maybe, but definitely not a Soulslike. Bloodborne is 100% a souls game

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

sebmojo posted:

did I miss something because very early into the game I gathered that the city was pretty, but there wasn't anything to actually do. The game just wasn't done. If they had more time they could have made an incredible 10/10 game. But they did not and they released a half finished game. I played it at launch but I can't imagine they "finished" the game through patches or anything, right? Am I missing something about Night City other than it looks cool?

I like Yakuza's scale for open worldness. It's a small open world, but it is dense and full of things to do and every corner you turn you run into a guy with underwear on his head or something and it keeps me engaged. I can't think of any other open world games on the same scale. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines? That game is real loving old though.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
No, that's pretty accurate. Sprinting through bicycles until they explode or taking a brawl into a convenience store in Yakuza then trying to buy something in the exploded out store and getting told to gently caress off feels better than anything you can do around Night City.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the best part is really the main questline where you have to become the most successful nightclub in town

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

did I miss something because very early into the game I gathered that the city was pretty, but there wasn't anything to actually do. The game just wasn't done. If they had more time they could have made an incredible 10/10 game. But they did not and they released a half finished game. I played it at launch but I can't imagine they "finished" the game through patches or anything, right? Am I missing something about Night City other than it looks cool?

I think that's the meme, but I'm like 100 hours in still doing side quests lol. The quests are absurdly back ended, you get the point of no return notification and there are still dozens of hours of stuff to do.

I don't really get the unfinished thing, bugs (which were bad) and cdprojekts wonky systems (which is just like w3) aside. They could have added mini games and things, I guess? But the experience of just walking through the city is unmatched.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

But it's made by the souls company.

Exactly. Armored Core is a Souls-like.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Lumines is all but forgotten in the falling blocks genre, I'm desperately hoping for a new title that's not a remake of an old one. A friend and I had an intense rivalry over it, but I ultimately was the better player. Same story with Tekken 3, haha gently caress you Zack.

Anything else in the falling block category that looks good that's recently released or upcoming?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Devils Affricate posted:

Exactly. Armored Core is a Souls-like.

That's grandfathered in as a non-souls game because they weren't the souls company yet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neato burrito posted:

Lumines is all but forgotten in the falling blocks genre, I'm desperately hoping for a new title that's not a remake of an old one. A friend and I had an intense rivalry over it, but I ultimately was the better player. Same story with Tekken 3, haha gently caress you Zack.

Anything else in the falling block category that looks good that's recently released or upcoming?

im hearing good things about Hatris HD

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Omg please stop.

Mobas like dota are better for society than most AAA action games. Trying (even if it fails) to get strangers to work together on something as hard as dota is loving awesome and way better than giving people an Achievement Simulator that makes you forget that you’re winning at something that was designed for even the dumbest players to win without much effort

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Poker Party posted:

That's grandfathered in as a non-souls game because they weren't the souls company yet.

if we presume that king's field is the spiritual prototype of darksouls; and taking into consideration that king's field came out in 1994 with two more coming out in 1995 and 1996, and that armored core came out in 1997; could it not be said, that they already were the souls company :raise:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

giogadi posted:

Omg please stop.

Mobas like dota are better for society than most AAA action games. Trying (even if it fails) to get strangers to work together on something as hard as dota is loving awesome

rocket league does the same thing, with the huge added bonus that it isn't a terrible MOBA and is in fact one of the best games ever made.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

giogadi posted:

Omg please stop.

Mobas like dota are better for society than most AAA action games. Trying (even if it fails) to get strangers to work together on something as hard as dota is loving awesome and way better than giving people an Achievement Simulator that makes you forget that you’re winning at something that was designed for even the dumbest players to win without much effort

this is actually a great take

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

nobody listen to john he is sadly already infected with terminal moba brain and we pray for him

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

he does like RL tho so fair play for that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
panic my fellow compatriot i love and adore rocket league but its not something i can literally play for 10 hours in a row at the weekend like i can with dota

anyway i had 4 dota losses in a row tonight and i'm not playing so much rocket league these days so i'm going to do something really unpopular and turn on my nintendo switch

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

giogadi posted:

Omg please stop.

this would be true if a single one of them ever spent any amount of money on moderation so they could permaban the people who get mad over losing a videogame and start shouting slurs and telling their teammates to kill themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

A perfect example of the value of competitive multiplayer is racing games like Gran Turismo.

As a lifetime GT player I jumped on GT Sport assuming I’d Gold every race because, guess what! The single player campaign teaches you that you’re “supposed” to win every race. Then you meet the real world and realize, omg: only ONE person can win every race? And that person is literally never me? How will I find meaning now?

Then I realized there is so much joy in just having a great race against somebody, even if I’m just fighting for 12th place. And then I look back at the single player campaign and it feels almost profane in comparison