Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawnie posted:

I bought several sets of lights at Home Depot because my wife wanted specifically round globe bulbs. I’ve used up all the spares, nobody stocks the type of bulb locally, and all the online retailers are shady or Amazon drop ship poo poo that isn’t what’s advertised. It’s this set of lights from HD and I can’t even get a straight obvious answer of what the replacement bulbs are.

Probably going to get the Costco ones next year and move the Home Depot ones elsewhere in the yard. Really annoying that Home Depot doesn’t have replacement bulbs for the lights they sell.

It says G50 on there, but I'm genuinely shocked 1000bulbs doesn't have ANY. I assume it's G50 globe on an E12 base. The E12 base is the important part, and not exceeding the original wattage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

It says G50 on there, but I'm genuinely shocked 1000bulbs doesn't have ANY.

The last couple of times I've ordered from them I've gotten a phone call later that day asking about substitutions/would it be okay to wait for X until they get more. They are definitely hurting and dropping things out of their catalog because they simply aren't able to get them anymore.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Update on this. Plumber came by and said

"I have no idea what the hell that could be. Usually those are for AC condensate but you don't have an AC. I'll cap it tomorrow and see what happens."

Super nice local dude, wouldn't take any money for it either. So well see tomorrow!

"I'm gonna make this problem go somewhere else, call me when you see a wet spot or smell mold in a couple days/weeks and I'll plug that pipe, too"

:eyepop:

Appears to have made the problem worse

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I bought an LG electric dryer in December of 2022 (DLEX4200w) that recently stopped heating up when doing a cycle.

I have a couple questions since I have 0 (ZERO) experience or mechanical aptitude. :)

1) Is there some kind of standard manufacturers warranty? (1yr or more?)

2) Since I totally suck at maintenance, is this something I'd call a repair guy to assist with? Or is there some super easy "even a child could do it" recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

H110Hawk posted:

It says G50 on there, but I'm genuinely shocked 1000bulbs doesn't have ANY. I assume it's G50 globe on an E12 base. The E12 base is the important part, and not exceeding the original wattage.

Motronic posted:

The last couple of times I've ordered from them I've gotten a phone call later that day asking about substitutions/would it be okay to wait for X until they get more. They are definitely hurting and dropping things out of their catalog because they simply aren't able to get them anymore.

I specify fixtures for industrial settings and while that's a bit removed from the purposes of this thread I'd like to affirm that there is indeed a storage of popular fixtures and lamps. Lots of good substitutions are available for most products but if you have your heart set on a specific item you might be waiting months

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

"I have no idea what the hell that could be. Usually those are for AC condensate but you don't have an AC. I'll cap it tomorrow and see what happens."

Super nice local dude, wouldn't take any money for it either. So well see tomorrow!

You need to figure out where the hell that thing goes to instead of creating a permanent dead leg full of weird sump water.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah, down in the specs it says E12 / candelabra base, and in the last product image it says 1.9" width on the bulb. Seems like these might have a high enough Wife Approval Factor?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slurm posted:

You need to figure out where the hell that thing goes to instead of creating a permanent dead leg full of weird sump water.

This. He's not charging you anything because his advice isn't worth anything. Don't let him cap that thing off. Call someone else.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You want the feit electric bulbs, accept no substitutes. Also known as "the costco string lights" in all the reddit reviews. I looked at 1000bulbs as well and I'm really glad I got the feit brand

Yeah these things are the fuckin TNT, two sets of them light up our back deck so well

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I checked the spacing in my back yard. They are between 5 and 7 feet apart. I would not go wider than 8' apart, especially if you have them high off the ground, or you just want ambient lighting in the back yard

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

Comfortador posted:

I bought an LG electric dryer in December of 2022 (DLEX4200w) that recently stopped heating up when doing a cycle.

I have a couple questions since I have 0 (ZERO) experience or mechanical aptitude. :)

1) Is there some kind of standard manufacturers warranty? (1yr or more?)

2) Since I totally suck at maintenance, is this something I'd call a repair guy to assist with? Or is there some super easy "even a child could do it" recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys

It's definitely under warranty, LG has coverage for parts and labour for the first year. If your house venting is ok, it's probably a failed heater or thermostat, and LG should fully cover that repair.

There should be a phone number to call for repairs listed in your user guide, and it should also have a very basic troubleshooting section that you can take a look through and try before calling. They will want to see your proof of purchase and maybe a photo of the model/serial tag, so best to have those ready to go when you call.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

The ones I bought from 1000bulbs (https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/153441) are simple molded 2-wire. I didn't need all 100 feet so I cut some off and saftied the end of the run.

I wouldn't hesitate to throw a plug, receptacle, or whatever on the end to join them to another string providing you're not over-amping them (doubtful as these are made for incandescents and I'm sure we're all using LEDs)

I forget exactly (one of the popular feit YouTube reviews calls this out) but the printed instructions say you can plug something like 10 of the 48 bulb strings into the end of the feit ones which is 480 + 48 over 500 bulbs in a row, I guess that's about 500w

We have two runs, one 48' run that doubles back, and a second that is four 48' runs plugged into each other like classy Christmas lights

My feit look like the same design motronic has, but are fully wired finished products, not sold in bulk mode

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Comfortador posted:

I bought an LG electric dryer in December of 2022

It doesn't work because it's not the future yet. :colbert:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

H110Hawk posted:

:bighow:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:bigwhat:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Time traveler spotted

How do you know their appliance exists in December, and why are you keeping tabs on it. Is this like that eyeball from umbrella academy

Good to know the world doesn't end until after Thanksgiving

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
hahah you know the sad thing? I consciously was trying to prevent me from using this year and still loving did it. Unfortunately it's from 2020, so that would probably put it out from warranty.

H110Hawk posted:

H110Hawk posted:

Hadlock posted:

Time traveler spotted

How do you know their appliance exists in December, and why are you keeping tabs on it. Is this like that eyeball from umbrella academy

Good to know the world doesn't end until after Thanksgiving

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I forget exactly (one of the popular feit YouTube reviews calls this out) but the printed instructions say you can plug something like 10 of the 48 bulb strings into the end of the feit ones which is 480 + 48 over 500 bulbs in a row, I guess that's about 500w

I mean, these are at least 14 wire and 500w is <maths this out> 4.2 amps?.....yeah, that seems totally do-able.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Comfortador posted:

hahah you know the sad thing? I consciously was trying to prevent me from using this year and still loving did it. Unfortunately it's from 2020, so that would probably put it out from warranty.

Yeah, apparently "built to last" is missing the second half of the sentence: "1 year."

I would call and talk to their support anyways, you never know. They might have some troubleshooting steps you can run through. Otherwise it's time to either start troubleshooting here with us and a screw driver, or pay for a tech to come out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just to be clear you're not denying being a time traveler

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/categories/led-decorative-bulbs

I can't tell how big those globes are, but that page will take you to the various sizes you can choose from.

Amazing, thank you! Looks like they have 25 packs of incandescents that are at least close to the right size. 7 watts too which wasn’t available in any shape I saw in-person.

E: should have refreshed the page. I just went out and measured the bulb size - they’re about 1-3/4” in diameter. This would be a G14 then if google is to be believed that the number indicates diameter in 1/8ths of an inch. They only have 40W incandescents in that size. Might have to bite the bullet and get G16’s that are slightly bigger :(

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 23, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Where should I be looking or what terms should I be using when looking for string light poles? Something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/EXCELLO-GLOBAL-PRODUCTS-Two-10-ft-String-Light-Poles-Black-EGP-HD-0359/319359853 doesn't really seem all that suitable for sinking in concrete and the included mounts don't seem like they would hold up to the line tension that well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
….a painted/stained pressure treated 4x4x8/10?

Even with the cost of lumber that would be cheaper, and you can hang other poo poo on it like a hummingbird feeder or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Where should I be looking or what terms should I be using when looking for string light poles? Something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/EXCELLO-GLOBAL-PRODUCTS-Two-10-ft-String-Light-Poles-Black-EGP-HD-0359/319359853 doesn't really seem all that suitable for sinking in concrete and the included mounts don't seem like they would hold up to the line tension that well.

Those aren't going to work at all.

I did it this way:

Motronic posted:

Todays project is an extension of remodeling the bar, which opens to the patio. I'll get what pictures I have of that in here later.

I want to hang a 100 foot set of string lights across that side of the patio, with 3 attachment points to the house and 2 posts on the outside of the patio in a big "W". Specifically these: https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/153441 with these bulbs: https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/219430.

Today was about getting something together for those outside posts.

Off to LowesDepot:

I'm in southeastern PA which puts my frost line at about 30", so I cut the sonotubes down to 2 1/2" feet and dug two holes:

Partially backfill and level:

Cut two 1.5 foot sections of 1 1/4" PVC as "inserts", bring them to the holes and realize the holes are in fact 2.5 feet deep, go back later and be happy that I bought a 10 foot section.

Put the correct sized piece of PVC in the hole with both ends taped up. Get the bottom centered in the hole and lean it against the side.

One bag of concrete (mostly) in the hole:

Now straighten the PVC up. Oh no you say, it won't really move! It's wet concrete. It will move. Just shake it into place:
https://imgur.com/Pvtawqh.gifv
(embed not cooperating)

Mix another bag, keep going until the hole is filled, flatten off the top then get your trowel out and start slapping the concrete with it:

The concrete guys around here call this "bringing up the cream", but what you're really doing is getting the aggregate to settle:

Lightly trowel it until it's kinda smooth. You go to much and you'll drag out aggregate and be back to smacking it. This really doesn't need to be perfect right now. This is plenty good:

I started out trying to use 3/4" EMT for the posts but that wasn't strong enough so I switch to 3/4" black iron pipe. It's been up for 2 seasons so far and everything is exactly how I installed it still. No sagging, no issues.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

I did it this way:

I started out trying to use 3/4" EMT for the posts but that wasn't strong enough so I switch to 3/4" black iron pipe. It's been up for 2 seasons so far and everything is exactly how I installed it still. No sagging, no issues.

You are a forums MVP for posts like this, thanks!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Motronic posted:

I did it this way:

Nice. Are you leaving these up all year round? I assume water will get into that tube and (eventually) rust the pipe but would be easy to replace and still preferable to a buried 4x4.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

As others have mentioned, this is a bad approach. The water coming out of that corrugated tube isn't able to go down the drain, and will go *somewhere*. They should be tracing that pipe back to figure out what's going on rather than moving the problem elsewhere.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Nice. Are you leaving these up all year round? I assume water will get into that tube and (eventually) rust the pipe but would be easy to replace and still preferable to a buried 4x4.

Yes, they stay up permanently. 3/4" black iron is quite thick - if I need to replace them once every 7-10 years I'll be surprised. And totally fine with that.

Also, I needed them taller than I could easily find in length so I had to add a union on the bottom and more pipe, so I'd only be replacing the bottom 3 feet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How did you mount the lights to the poles? Weld a ring on? I've been looking for a project/excuse to learn welding on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

How did you mount the lights to the poles? Weld a ring on? I've been looking for a project/excuse to learn welding on.

You do NOT want to try to learn how to weld by starting out on oily galvanized pipe.

I used a 3/4" EMT conduit hanger (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstrut-3-4-in-Conduit-and-Pipe-Hanger-3-Pack-6H1-TB-8/300325780) and put the bolt through the caribiner that came with the wire rope set.

Not sure if you followed that quote back to my thread, but it's all in there (starting with my failed attempt at using 3/4" EMT). And yes, you need to hang wire rope or something to hang these lights from. They are not intended to support their own weight. The will of course do that for a time, but you're gonna be replacing light strings a lot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

You do NOT want to try to learn how to weld by starting out on oily galvanized pipe.

Yeah that makes sense.

quote:

I used a 3/4" EMT conduit hanger (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstrut-3-4-in-Conduit-and-Pipe-Hanger-3-Pack-6H1-TB-8/300325780) and put the bolt through the caribiner that came with the wire rope set.

Not sure if you followed that quote back to my thread, but it's all in there (starting with my failed attempt at using 3/4" EMT). And yes, you need to hang wire rope or something to hang these lights from. They are not intended to support their own weight. The will of course do that for a time, but you're gonna be replacing light strings a lot.

Right on, I'll read through your thread and start putting a shopping list together.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My ceiling vent fan in the powder room is old, loud and rattles while on.

Is it terribly complicated to replace them yourself? My remodel contractor quoted me $795 to replace it, presumably because he Doesn't Want To.

That seems crazy, but for all I know it's one of those projects where you don't really know what you'll find in terms of joist space and ducting once you get in there

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First off: do you own or rent.

Second: We need at least the make, and photos, preferably with the cover removed so we can see the box & the fan assembly mounted in it.

You may be able to just replace the fan/motor assembly without disturbing the box, which should be screwed or nailed to the ceiling framing. That is the best & cheapest outcome.

You may need to be able to access above the until to ties in the vent pipe/hose.

E: I’m mig-welding galvanized steel for the next few days - the integrated frame on my ’65 Econoline needs some attention. But I am doing it outdoors and there’s a breeze, so

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 24, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't weld galvanized metal not even once

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My ceiling vent fan in the powder room is old, loud and rattles while on.

Is it terribly complicated to replace them yourself? My remodel contractor quoted me $795 to replace it, presumably because he Doesn't Want To.

That seems crazy, but for all I know it's one of those projects where you don't really know what you'll find in terms of joist space and ducting once you get in there

It’s not really complicated if you either have attic access or are willing to take out large portions of the ceiling. This all goes out the window if you find out the fan wasn’t being properly vented.

If you want to add something with a heater it will need a dedicated 20A circuit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If its just some lovely Broan it is super easy to buy a new Broan fan and plop it in the hole. I just installed a Panasonic WhisperFit and the retrofit version will likely have you cutting a larger hole in the ceiling and possibly adding a short bit of flexible ducting into whatever is there now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

As others have mentioned, this is a bad approach. The water coming out of that corrugated tube isn't able to go down the drain, and will go *somewhere*. They should be tracing that pipe back to figure out what's going on rather than moving the problem elsewhere.

:saddowns:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I canceled with the dude that was gonna cap it and I've placed some calls into other plumbers to come check it out. Should have known that answer was too good to be true.

The saga continues.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Hadlock posted:

Don't weld galvanized metal not even once
In case anyone thinks they are joking..
This is correct, it can give you flu like symptoms unless you do it in a respirator, stainless steel as well.
It kinda felt like COVID when it happened to me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Drinking milk as a remedy is an old wives tale, too

Also I can't believe I have to say this, but don't wash your hands with brake cleaner, unless you like high risk activities that could give you blood cancer yes blood cancer

:wtc:

Fake edit:

Also also squinting (:airquote: safety squinting) will still fry your eyeballs when welding, the cheapest welding hood at harbor freight is like $15 use it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Comfortador posted:

Many credit cards add a year of warranty. This would be a claim through the CC rather than the manufacturer, but worth looking.