Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Conservatives will respond 'yes.' Remember when Trump tweeted that satellite image of Iran and the image was immediately, automatically declassified and that trump was not charged with any crime for it?

"If the president is doing it, its not against the law" is the position they will defend.

That's when you have to press them on the question of who they believe presently holds the office of the president. At least, I take this tack and it's been fun.

Then, I press the hypothetical - if a candidate you voted for wins an election, legally sells nuclear secrets to Saudi arabia, and then loses the next election - would you withdraw your support for that candidate.

At no point does the argument bear any fruit, of course. It's a futile exercise. But I enjoy it.

I know it’s futile but the reason things are classified TS//SCI is that they are very sensitive. Like a list of all the spies in Moscow sensitive. Why is it ‘okay’ for Trump to be careless with documents like that just because maybe it’s not classified anymore? A technicality that gets the classification level removed doesn’t change the harm caused by keeping the documents in a shed or basement where any random guest can look at them.

Anyway, following their lovely magical thinking since trump never followed the process to declassify the documents so no one knew they were declassified then they automatically became classified again on Jan 21, 2021 because when Biden ‘thought’ they were classified they immediately became so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Deteriorata posted:

Classification is irrelevant to the Espionage Act anyway. It doesn't matter if he declassified them.

It's irrelevant to all three of the crimes listed in the search warrant. None of them require the materials in question to be classified.

Murgos posted:

Why is it ‘okay’ for Trump to be careless with documents like that just because maybe it’s not classified anymore? A technicality that gets the classification level removed doesn’t change the harm caused

this is a complete red herring

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fuschia tude posted:

It's irrelevant to all three of the crimes listed in the search warrant. None of them require the materials in question to be classified.

this is a complete red herring

And that's how they're going to try to win. At least until next week or whenever things break open a bit further, then they'll change the story and very few people will notice.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Even the president can't just wave his hands and say it is declassified. He has to go through a process, just like issuing a pardon. That classification change needs to be documented and circulated to the relevant agencies.

He can't say "Well, I declassified them before i left office", because there is no proof of it. He also can't say "Well, I issued a pardon to XXX on my last day", because if its not noted somewhere it didn't actually happen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Trump charged or indicted on anything yet?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cimber posted:

Even the president can't just wave his hands and say it is declassified. He has to go through a process, just like issuing a pardon. That classification change needs to be documented and circulated to the relevant agencies.

He can't say "Well, I declassified them before i left office", because there is no proof of it. He also can't say "Well, I issued a pardon to XXX on my last day", because if its not noted somewhere it didn't actually happen.

Even process aside, I assume the "reasonable person" doctrine would be in play. Would a reasonable person understand that so-and-so was pardoned, or that such-and-such a document was declassified? "Well, the President didn't follow the process, but he loudly announced at a dinner attended by hundreds that he was pardoning Roger Rabbit, and then wrote a pardon on napkin and signed it in fully view of the crowd." That's not following the process, but is probably a reasonable way to say, "Roger Rabbit was pardoned."

"The former president seems to remember that he thought to himself on a Tuesday several years ago, "This top-secret document is now unclassified,"" does not meet that burden, because no reasonable person could know it to be true.

DOJ needs to hurry up and indict this son-of-a-bitch so that he can be in jail before 2024.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

DOJ needs to hurry up and indict this son-of-a-bitch so that he can be in jail before 2024.

Even if his indicted he can still run for President, and he would. The rallying cry of 'the deep state is out to get me! Protect me' will cause all his frothing minions to go into a frenzy. I would also expect to see an uptick of political violence.

If he wins the presidency the charges go away as soon as he takes office.

If he loses the amount of political violence would greatly increase as his frothing minions would see it as a sign that the 'deep state stole the election'.

The only way we are 'safe' is if he's convicted and sentenced before Jan 20th 2025. I don't see that happening. I think we are in for a bad 6+ years.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cimber posted:

Even if his indicted he can still run for President, and he would. The rallying cry of 'the deep state is out to get me! Protect me' will cause all his frothing minions to go into a frenzy. I would also expect to see an uptick of political violence.

This is going to happen regardless of what the J6 committee and DOJ do or don't do, at this point.

quote:

If he wins the presidency the charges go away as soon as he takes office.

If he loses the amount of political violence would greatly increase as his frothing minions would see it as a sign that the 'deep state stole the election'.

The only way we are 'safe' is if he's convicted and sentenced before Jan 20th 2025. I don't see that happening. I think we are in for a bad 6+ years.

I agree. We are likely going to be dealing with politicized violence on a non-trivial scale for years to come, escalating around elections (if those remain a thing). While they're not perfect analogies, what Dick Schumann and James Diehl describe in Political Violence in the Weimar Republic and Paramilitary Politics in Weimar Germany both are good primers for how this sort of thing can play out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If we're going to deal with political violence either way, I'll choose the option that puts as many fascists behind bars as early as possible.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is going to happen regardless of what the J6 committee and DOJ do or don't do, at this point.

I agree. We are likely going to be dealing with politicized violence on a non-trivial scale for years to come, escalating around elections (if those remain a thing). While they're not perfect analogies, what Dick Schumann and James Diehl describe in Political Violence in the Weimar Republic and Paramilitary Politics in Weimar Germany both are good primers for how this sort of thing can play out.

God help us if he wins and retakes the presidency. You think he was bad before? He's going to be an absolute monster the next go around, with his whole presidency revolving around getting revenge on his real and imaginary enemies. Nothing would be able to hold him back, because congress has shown itself to be a) unable of removing him from office, and b) scared of their constituents and not willing to take a stand. The GOP has unleashed a monster in the name of getting power over the past 30 years and there is no way now of putting it back into the bag.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Files copied from voting systems were shared with Trump supporters, election deniers

quote:

Sensitive election system files obtained by attorneys working to overturn President Donald Trump’s 2020 defeat were shared with election deniers, conspiracy theorists and right-wing commentators, according to records reviewed by The Washington Post.

A Georgia computer forensics firm hired by the attorneys placed the files on a server, where company records show they were downloaded dozens of times. Among the downloaders were accounts associated with a Texas meteorologist who has appeared on Sean Hannity’s radio show; a podcaster who suggested political enemies should be executed; a former pro-surfer who pushed disproved theories that the 2020 election was manipulated; and a self-described former “seduction and pickup coach” who claims to also have been a hacker.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Cimber posted:

If he wins the presidency the charges go country goes away as soon as he takes office.

Fixed.

Every document produced under such a "government" would be... 1984 bullshit. Look at this:

legal filing posted:

Politics cannot be allowed to impact the administration of justice. President Donald J.
Trump is the clear frontrunner in the 2024 Republican Presidential Primary and in the 2024
General Election, should he decide to run.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.1.0.pdf

Complete clown show. What will it take to get his name stricken, just enough of this free mental rent karap, I don't care about him can we* please talk about saving the country :smithicide: and its people, which has as much to do about Trump as it has to do the volume of frog droppings in the middle of the Russian gulag.

(*I meant the people, the press, not this forum) (And I'd wonder how many generals would immediately retire if he did take office.)

ps. If I was the judge handed a document that said "politics cannot be allowed to interrupt justice... (Next sentence is pure politics)", I believe I'd immediately swear out a warrant for arrest without bail on grounds of insanity. After all, we were just asked, nay told, to uphold speedy justice.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 22, 2022

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...fymu-story.html

Judge requests redacted version by Thursday. DOJ lawyers have noted that there are likely to be so many redactions that the document will have no remaining public interest. Meanwhile, "(Mr Trump) has :rant: demanded that the document be released in full, but his legal team has yet to file motions with the courts".

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

(And I'd wonder how many generals would immediately retire if he did take office.)

Those are the last people I'd want to retire, because he'd just promote people who would be actual bootlickers.

Or hell, not even promote people. Wanna see Lieutenant General Roger Stone? Thats how you see Lieutenant General Roger Stone.

(I feel ill just thinking about that)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Cimber posted:

Those are the last people I'd want to retire, because he'd just promote people who would be actual bootlickers.

Or hell, not even promote people. Wanna see Lieutenant General Roger Stone? Thats how you see Lieutenant General Roger Stone.

Exactly. That's one of the reasons the country would end. Likely be in five wars within weeks, probably over the extraction of McDonalds from all NATO nations.

Also, erm, opinion piece, but how long before this gets removed? The Trump MAL Search was Justified

quote:

The truth needs to be set forth plainly and simply, and so let’s get down to brass tacks here. What happened on August 8, 2022, was not tyranny. It was not political persecution. It was not a minor dust up over bureaucratic processes blown out of proportion. It was the criminal justice system operating just like it does with any other private citizen on any other given day ending in a "y."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...fymu-story.html

Judge requests redacted version by Thursday. DOJ lawyers have noted that there are likely to be so many redactions that the document will have no remaining public interest. Meanwhile, "(Mr Trump) has :rant: demanded that the document be released in full, but his legal team has yet to file motions with the courts".

Now this could be an indication that they don't actually want it to be released... but are we sure his moronic lawyers even know how to file the appropriate motions?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cimber posted:

One of the best things Congress could pass is to remove SecDefs authority to commission officers. Officer commissions are the purview of Congress (the full Confess, incidentally). It literally takes an act of Congress to make an Ensign or a Second Lieutenant. At some point last century Congress delegated their authority to SecDef because they got tired of having it on the legislative agenda or something.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

One of the best things Congress could pass is to remove SecDefs authority to commission officers. Officer commissions are the purview of Congress (the full Confess, incidentally). It literally takes an act of Congress to make an Ensign or a Second Lieutenant. At some point last century Congress delegated their authority to SecDef because they got tired of having it on the legislative agenda or something.

I think thats true for the lower grade officers, but once someone gets up to (I think) O-6 it goes back to congress. The problem was that a number of officers were stuck waiting on congress to promote them, sometimes for years.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cimber posted:

I think thats true for the lower grade officers, but once someone gets up to (I think) O-6 it goes back to congress. The problem was that a number of officers were stuck waiting on congress to promote them, sometimes for years.

If Colonels/Captains and higher still require explicit Congressional approval, that's a good thing. It prevents the President from unilaterally stuffing the officer corps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1561835929614139392?s=20&t=_Nb9FInQl5TU_rMuzoqHpg
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1561819683640279040?s=20&t=uPaXCq1IYC7wfWl3uTxLgg
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1561820097404194816?s=20&t=uPaXCq1IYC7wfWl3uTxLgg
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1561820518570942465?s=20&t=uPaXCq1IYC7wfWl3uTxLgg

well thats a helluva thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

If Colonels/Captains and higher still require explicit Congressional approval, that's a good thing. It prevents the President from unilaterally stuffing the officer corps.

My biggest worry is that the senate would be so filled with trump hacks in 2025 that they would do anything he asked and just rubber stamp anyone he nominates. I'm not kidding when I say that the 2022 and 2024 elections are absolutely critical for the survival of our country. I'm really worried about what would happen if he or another flaming GOPer (DeSantis comes to mind) took over.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cimber posted:

My biggest worry is that the senate would be so filled with trump hacks in 2025 that they would do anything he asked and just rubber stamp anyone he nominates. I'm not kidding when I say that the 2022 and 2024 elections are absolutely critical for the survival of our country. I'm really worried about what would happen if he or another flaming GOPer (DeSantis comes to mind) took over.

I have bad news for you about the 2022 and 2024 elections, the fix is basically already in and inflation and shortages mean it basically doesn't need to be fixed anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The FBI officer, crying, said "sir, sir, thank you so much, it all makes so much sense now. "

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Does Trump still get to be called President in official documents?

Like I know in his head he is still President and probably tells his goons to refer to him as such. But can his legal briefings really give him a title he doesn’t currently have?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Like I know in his head he is still President and probably tells his goons to refer to him as such. But can his legal briefings really give him a title he doesn’t currently have?

Yes, that is standard protocol. People get called by the highest office they have held in the past. Trump will be "Mr. President" for good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, that is standard protocol. People get called by the highest office they have held in the past. Trump will be "Mr. President" for good.

This is why whenever you are arguing with chuds on social media you always make it a point to refer to him as “Mr. Trump”

It drives them bananas when you do that.

Also, for content, Teri’s last line in this part:

https://twitter.com/teri_kanefield/status/1561838309743083522?s=21&t=k0W29aG4-1J-rdWI4KhBNg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Question IRL posted:

FPOTUS

Also. He's gonna be representing himself?

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1561817258309156864

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

FPOTUS

Omg

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Cannot wait to see Trump claim a Sovereign Citizen defense.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

What does that mean in laypersons' terms?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

MrMojok posted:

This is why whenever you are arguing with chuds on social media you always make it a point to refer to him as “Mr. Trump”

It drives them bananas when you do that.

Also, for content, Teri’s last line in this part:

https://twitter.com/teri_kanefield/status/1561838309743083522?s=21&t=k0W29aG4-1J-rdWI4KhBNg

In addition to the executive privilege issue, there's no assumption of attorney client privilege and lastly, it's too late anyway.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

mobby_6kl posted:

FPOTUS

Nah.

https://twitter.com/openargs/status/1561827771889995779

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The second emptywheel tweet explains that the lawyers filed for pro hac vice at the same time as the "pro se" filing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

MrMojok posted:

I prefer one of the ones that Colbert collected.

Like Velveeta Voldemort

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SubG posted:

The second emptywheel tweet explains that the lawyers filed for pro hac vice at the same time as the "pro se" filing.

Yeah but that was a heady couple minutes there

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Trusty
Slutkin
White

E: I just had to check out their website

cr0y fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 23, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

All I know is that I would never trust someone named loving "Trusty".

Nope.

I'd go to the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe before trying whatever kind of shyster goes by "Trusty".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

They apparently don't specialize in bird law ☹️

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

cr0y posted:

They apparently don't specialize in bird law ☹️
Now's the time to start! Mr Trump specializes in eating crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

All I know is that I would never trust someone named loving "Trusty".

Nope.

I'd go to the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe before trying whatever kind of shyster goes by "Trusty".
What did they ever do to you?
http://www.dewey-cheatham-howe.com/