Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The appeal is that you can keep slamming a 2/1! Creature machine goes brrrr

EDIT: excellent 420 inauguration post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't looked at that rules document spoiler, what's the appeal for this in limited?

The trinket text seems like it'll happen once a month and I haven't seen anything below rare that cares about a creature dying every turn except Sengir Connoisseur.

the appeal is that you get a free creature to sac every turn this is in play to whatever BR sac stuff you happen to be doing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

flatluigi posted:

that lotus has a 5c identity

maybe if you were doing some sort of 5c paradox engine shenanigan deck but eh

Oh, right. I forgot that's how that works

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

the appeal is that you get a free creature to sac every turn this is in play to whatever BR sac stuff you happen to be doing.

Yeah I haven't seen a single BR card that sacrifices other creatures so I'm waiting to see if they exist first before I start slamming multicoloured cards p1p1.

Jadar was fine in MID but below the best commons and uncommons in black.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty funny how much paper standard has pretty much disappeared from the magic landscape. I guess it's not hurting booster sales?

I think about this a lot and it's pretty crazy to me. Many things contributed to it not least of all their failure to adequately produce a balanced metagame, the falloff of continuous minor league events like SCG, and of course covid loving up OP generally. Now that it's dead they should experiment though and bring back more frequent rotations! They've got nothing to lose.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
rotations are actually worse in a world where standard is mostly played on arena though, since people arent losing access to mostly singles they bought with the foreknowledge that they would rotate out. theyre losing out on Random Packs bought with Premium Currency and wildcards. also the reason frequent rotation was rejected is most people absolutely hate hate hate every time card legality changes and that hasnt improved at all.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah I haven't seen a single BR card that sacrifices other creatures so I'm waiting to see if they exist first before I start slamming multicoloured cards p1p1.

We have seen a total of seven commons in black or red. There's two uncommons that can reanimate themselves and one that gets +1/+1 counters if another creature dies, so it's possible.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't looked at that rules document spoiler, what's the appeal for this in limited?

The trinket text seems like it'll happen once a month and I haven't seen anything below rare that cares about a creature dying every turn except Sengir Connoisseur.

Limited is basically the only format where 5 creatures can die in combat, letting you tutor on your 2nd main. It makes your opponent very nervous about blocking your 2/1 and other small creatures.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I wish covid doesn't gently caress with perception, because standard has never seemed like the path to $$$ and the demand of the player base seems to agree.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The real question is will they pull the trigger and make an entire qualifier season standard. They'll have to, imo. Then we'll see how much interest was OP induced demand.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The real question is will they pull the trigger and make an entire qualifier season standard. They'll have to, imo. Then we'll see how much interest was OP induced demand.

If it gets people to open standard packs on mtgo again. Yes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We have seen a total of seven commons in black or red. There's two uncommons that can reanimate themselves and one that gets +1/+1 counters if another creature dies, so it's possible.

Yes I'm not saying it's impossible that those cards are in this set, I'm saying at this exact moment they don't exist, and there's no way guarantee they will. Standard draft formats currently average one repeatable sac outlet a set at common, and they range from great (Sepulchre Ghoul!) to 'sounds completely made up' (Novice Dissector??) .

If we do see non-trash sac outlets, my evaluation of the card will go up, but until then I'll pass it.

A Moose posted:

Limited is basically the only format where 5 creatures can die in combat, letting you tutor on your 2nd main. It makes your opponent very nervous about blocking your 2/1 and other small creatures.

It's not as common as you'd think, especially when you have a face up incentive to not let it happen. Double trick cards like Rally Maneuver usually underperform because it's infrequent that four creatures line up just right. Things have to be going extremely well for you to have this come online, especially if your opponent isn't a buffoon and is actively avoiding it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

https://twitter.com/CoolStuffInc/status/1561730160084193282

Doesn't seem like a great sac outlet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They know that you need a better sac outlet to make a sec archetype work, this isn't the first time WOTC has done this. It might not end up great but there will be more enablers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pushing so hard and yet they won't do Goblin Bombardment.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

Seems like it’s a potato scenario where OP just thinks it’s neat

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

If they are being sold as such, nope!

Imagine spending spending 850$ on a Lego Millennium Falcon when you can buy the lepin version for a fraction of the cost. Imagine berating someone for selling you bootleg sunglasses. Its all just :aloom:.

I think if they're being sold as such they don't need to be 1:1 replications because the seller knows that people will be selling them on as real

Like I've had people sell me fakes on cardmarket and I have to go through getting a refund, it's a pain that shouldn't be there

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I think if they're being sold as such they don't need to be 1:1 replications because the seller knows that people will be selling them on as real

Like I've had people sell me fakes on cardmarket and I have to go through getting a refund, it's a pain that shouldn't be there

Well what you think doesn't effect reality. The reality is that people want to buy affordable versions of the cards and play with them in any setting they normally play in. I am sure you have opinions about that too and its exactly what drives these folks to these ends.

There is very little market for what you are describing (marked proxies) and what markets do exists, has a vacuum of talented people wanted to make them. A certain famous twitter person makes exactly what you are thinking of and has had to jump through an enormous amount of hoops to keep it legal and/or WOTC off their back.

And while yes, there are scammers using this as a venue to scam, but that was going to be true regardless. Knowing selling a counterfeit as real to another person is breaking criminal laws.

Basically it boils down to enforcement of intellectual property on a global scale and that is impossible. Its also not illegal to buy counterfeit and/or proxies for the purpose of playing with them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Pushing so hard and yet they won't do Goblin Bombardment.

You don't want that card in standard lol.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

Well what you think doesn't effect reality. The reality is that people want to buy affordable versions of the cards and play with them in any setting they normally play in. I am sure you have opinions about that too and its exactly what drives these folks to these ends.

What does that even mean? I support proxy friendly events and think wotc should reprint the reserved list into the ground. It would grow legacy and maybe let vintage become a real format again. The lack of proxy event support is the issue.

I don't support goons coming into the thread and saying "hey look at these fakes, can't tell them from the real ones".

The thing about counterfeits is you know a bunch of them will be sold at the same price as a real card. The fact that the printer sold them for 20 bucks means nothing when someone will turn around and try to rip people off. Showing off the great counterfeits they found adds what to thread? An encouragement to pm them to find the printer?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Knowing selling a counterfeit as real to another person is breaking criminal laws.

So is buying them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Having a free 2/1 dude every turn that can attack with no consequences is sweet even without a sac outlet. You're playing red, you'll have access to some manner of burn spell. Every turn you're asking the opponent "does your 5/5 block my 2/1 I'm slamming in, because my 3 damage burn spell might end it afterwards?". It's great for constantly asking for decisions they don't want to keep making.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

You don't want that card in standard lol.

I want it in pioneer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Simply Simon posted:

Having a free 2/1 dude every turn that can attack with no consequences is sweet even without a sac outlet. You're playing red, you'll have access to some manner of burn spell. Every turn you're asking the opponent "does your 5/5 block my 2/1 I'm slamming in, because my 3 damage burn spell might end it afterwards?". It's great for constantly asking for decisions they don't want to keep making.

But after they say no the first time it won't come up again because they're slamming the 5/5 into your face

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

But after they say no the first time it won't come up again because they're slamming the 5/5 into your face
Presumably you'll play other cards in your deck that can deal with the 5/5, also it's now definitely not blocking your infinite 2/1s?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So is buying them.

Incorrect. (Not in the us, not in my state, etc)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Incorrect. (Not in the us, not in my state, etc)

It's illegal federally to knowingly import counterfeit goods.

It's okay to just say you don't want to spend money. This other nonsense really isn't necessary. Saving money is universal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's okay to just say you don't want to spend money. This other nonsense really isn't necessary. Saving money is universal.

Now that rule is capitalist bullshit. Not the poster, just the laws.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It’s not. The law in which you are referencing is about importing goods for the purposes of selling them. I get that you googled it, took the first answer and ran with it.

:aloom:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The op proudly posted a picture of their counterfeit mixed in with real cards. It's a stretch to say they're not trying to pass them off as real, even though it's "just for their playgroup"

Anyway we're going in circles. What's everyone playing at fnm this week

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

The op proudly posted a picture of their counterfeit mixed in with real cards. It's a stretch to say they're not trying to pass them off as real, even though it's "just for their playgroup"

Anyway we're going in circles. What's everyone playing at fnm this week

Nothing about that situation is wrong. Nobody in that situation needs to know the authenticity of the cardboard, even if they somehow cared.

The only time it matters is when someone attempts to sell unauthentic cardboard and that person is knowingly committing a crime.

The end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The legal if it’s for personal use exemption only applies on stuff you personally carry with you and declare upon return to the US. Not mail. It’s also limited to a single item of a given category every 30 days.

Will it ever be enforced? No. At worst the post office will seize them and leave you alone. But when we’re making up fake justifications they may as well be correct.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

Hey I mean it swings the game in some direction!

If we're talking bad 5cmc mana rocks, my favorite will always be

I get to spend 6 mana and 2 cards to Bolt you twice on turn 5! Twice! Beat that, fuckstick! :c00lbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The legal if it’s for personal use exemption only applies on stuff you personally carry with you and declare upon return to the US. Not mail. It’s also limited to a single item of a given category every 30 days.

Will it ever be enforced? No. At worst the post office will seize them and leave you alone. But when we’re making up fake justifications they may as well be correct.

Getting warmer! But no, that isn’t the only situation where personal use applies. :smugdon:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I want it in pioneer

It's likely too good for Pioneer too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

It's likely too good for Pioneer too.

Then ban something until it isn't. :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

If we're talking bad 5cmc mana rocks, my favorite will always be

I get to spend 6 mana and 2 cards to Bolt you twice on turn 5! Twice! Beat that, fuckstick! :c00lbert:

There was an actually good deck using this card that I top 8ed a PTQ with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/RLYKNGHT/status/1561702924744814593

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

it's a supported theme, the commons will fill it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

am i reading the tea leaves correctly, is yavimaya steelcrusher the best limited common?

grape ape seems outta control