Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we had to Freedom Fry the noogie away from the dutch rub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

The dutch invented capitalism, splitting the check, weird cast iron pots called “ovens”. the worst

farting under the covers, lighting a cigarette from someone elses, team jump rope, the list of accomplishments is staggering

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the only country on earth with worse food than br*tain

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tain

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bro Dad posted:

the only country on earth with worse food than br*tain

it's funny, i never before considered that the dutch have a national cuisine

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
they have their own split pea soup that is somehow worse than what you would expect

and they call it snert

:barf:

Goast has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Aug 23, 2022

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Goast posted:

they have their own split pea soup that is somehow worse than what you would expect

and they call it snert

for real, is that part of the etymology on snot? because split pea soup looks like snot from when you're really sick and is about as appetizing to consume

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I'd eat that no worries.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Azathoth posted:

for real, is that part of the etymology on snot? because split pea soup looks like snot from when you're really sick and is about as appetizing to consume

I don't think so, pretty sure it can also mean a pile of unimportant stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i had a friend visit me from some bumfuck dutch cowtown and he cooked me a real dutch dinner. it was a ball of ground beef mixed with shaved carrots and tossed into the oven. i'm not even sure he used salt

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Goast posted:

and they call it snert

:barf:

that looks like turds

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
thomas crapper was an early giant of toilets, helped popularize the idea that indoor plumbing was a desirable idea and has his name emblazoned all over a ton of period toilets and it has absolutely nothing to do with the word "crap" or calling toilets "crappers". only so many sounds at the end of the day and coincidences happen

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
sausage is the only thing they do well, but every other culture has good sausage so gently caress em

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the worst sausages are the very finely ground kind i saw in nw germany. they were like if a hotdog was eighteen inches long and light grey

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That soup looks decent enough, definitely seen worse American food. 7+ hour cook time? I'm unsure if those are supposed to be carrots floating there or a tube of pork product. Nevertheless it's hard to go wrong with lentils or lentil-adjacent soup in general. Might have to make this a snert-helg weekend. :yum:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Goast posted:

sausage is the only thing they do well, but every other culture has good sausage so gently caress em

i think the worst sausage is the thing we in the united states call breakfast sausage

little crinkly awful spongy bastards that are legally describable as sausage, usually frozen, i hate them and i crave them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i only eat bfast sausage in patty form if i have a choice

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

same, they make ok lil sandwiches

anyone know stuff about awful frozen foods ancient peoples ate? like- not necessarily raw ingredients you'd shove into the snow outside to preserve em, but foods specially prepared to be frozen and reheated?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Pea soup is good.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
There's a method where you leave cider outside in the winter and skim off whatever doesn't freeze to use as liquor

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
still a proud tradition, jacking the ice in cider to produce applejack. it sucks though, freeze distillation only removes the water from the solution, so you concentrate everything. more alcoholic but also more full of horrible byproducts and stuff.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

CoolCab posted:

still a proud tradition, jacking

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

same, they make ok lil sandwiches

anyone know stuff about awful frozen foods ancient peoples ate? like- not necessarily raw ingredients you'd shove into the snow outside to preserve em, but foods specially prepared to be frozen and reheated?

persia was doing some wild stuff with ice cream and sorbets because they had those vortex chillers that take the wind and freeze water from aquaducts dunno if they used it to preserve food

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

They don't sound trustworthy. What's their angle?

it's a low-lying country full of low, lying people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

persia was doing some wild stuff with ice cream and sorbets because they had those vortex chillers that take the wind and freeze water from aquaducts dunno if they used it to preserve food

can you talk more about this

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yakhchāl would get loaded with ice in the winter and could keep it frozen through the summer months, but couldn't chill water below freezing on their own iirc.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yakhchāl would get loaded with ice in the winter and could keep it frozen through the summer months, but couldn't chill water below freezing on their own iirc.

The same tunnels which supplied these could also provide a sort of air conditioning to residential areas alsong side wind towers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
https://mobile.twitter.com/dwnews/status/1564653718770958337

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's pretty astounding to think about how millions today could (mostly) descend from only a few hundred people who lived hundreds, not thousands of years ago.

I saw some population figures for medieval Finland and it was estimated to just 20,000–40,000 people. That's just a small town nowadays.
Granted, that figure is probably on the very low end.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Aug 30, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The idea that everyone on the planet is severely inbred is not astounding at all tbh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grevling posted:

It's pretty astounding to think about how millions today could (mostly) descend from only a few hundred people who lived hundreds, not thousands of years ago.

I saw some population figures for medieval Finland and it was estimated to just 20,000–40,000 people. That's just a small town nowadays.
Granted, that figure is probably on the very low end.
You sure they did not mean withing the borders at the time? The Duchy of Finland was initially just the southwestern tip of what would become Finland.

That, or it matters a lot exactly what you mean by medieval Finland. Finland apparently grew spectacularly compared to Sweden between AD 1000 and 1500, so it really might just have been near empty the years you were looking at.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You sure they did not mean withing the borders at the time? The Duchy of Finland was initially just the southwestern tip of what would become Finland.

That, or it matters a lot exactly what you mean by medieval Finland. Finland apparently grew spectacularly compared to Sweden between AD 1000 and 1500, so it really might just have been near empty the years you were looking at.

It was supposed to be about 1150, I don't know the specifics of that. It might be way too low. But if 350 Jews can turn into millions then surely 40 000 Finns could.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why is this a "but"?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
ashenkazi jews are famous for not being able to fall down wells everybody knows that

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

borat was a documentary

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Sherbert Hoover posted:

borat was a documentary

drat, beaten

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Very nice

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
https://mobile.twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1564361178075332608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sketches a passable human being, shrugs, quickly draws 5yo level 2d dice as an afterthought