Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sure does stink that the majority of american animation was consolidated into the hands of people who loathe its existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think animators should upgrade from unions into militias.

I think that for a lot worker categories but this thread is about animation so we'll stick to that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

sure does stink that the majority of american animation was consolidated into the hands of people who loathe its existence

It's been grimly fun though seeing all the YouTube cartoon chud channels shift their opinions of David Zaslav and his corporate policies on a dime from "Haha! This rules!" to "What the gently caress? This SUCKS!"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Neeksy posted:

He defecated in his office and it got bad enough he had to be sent home for hygiene issues

Alex Hirsch did this?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

woops, sorry, should've figured Zaslav wasn't done today.

HBO Max won't be moving forward with the Amazing World of Gumball movie, Batman: Caped Crusader, two Looney Tunes project (one a movie)

they can POSSIBLY be shipped elsewhere, if Zaslav cares enough, so they're not tax writeoffs like the CN projects

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I have some bad news for Mr. Zazslav's urgent quest to try and find Discovery $3 billion dollars in "tax write offs"...

https://twitter.com/thecartoonnews/status/1561815193994334209

He just cost them $2.39 billion in a single weekend.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

nine-gear crow posted:

So I have some bad news for Mr. Zazslav's urgent quest to try and find Discovery $3 billion dollars in "tax write offs"...

And it's probably only going to keep going down. He seems convinced the trick to making this company work is to keep canceling poo poo. They just canceled another Batman project. And a bunch of more movies. Like, Zazslav forgets that investors need things that say "oh this will make money" to keep their money there. When the word is just "we canceled everything and tanked our platform," investors pull out of the company out of fear of losing money. And all Zazslav can show for it is...Fuckboy Island on HBO as part of his new reality show push. Yeah, 2.39 billion drop is probably only the beginning. Hell, the fact people are pulling out of what was once one of the best streaming platforms in the industry AND CABLE TV IS DYING AND STREAMING IS THE FUTURE that is a bad look for an entertainment company.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

drat this dude gonna break the KMart-Sears speedrun record

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

a poetic irony to a man trying to save money by losing billions more.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

is there a more reliable source for that than the un-verified, 2,000-follower twitter dot com user @thecartoonnews

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Screw this guy. I hope he is fired for his rapid fire cancelling of things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least but is there a more reliable source out there that backs this up?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TV Zombie posted:

Screw this guy. I hope he is fired for his rapid fire cancelling of things.

Unfortunately him getting fired would probably just mean ending up at a different company to gently caress up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s no link with a story there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ThermoPhysical posted:

Alex Hirsch did this?
Hirsch allegedly had a habit of just peeing in a sink or something.

The Hygiene issue was a result of him getting burnt out and doing the Live In My Office bit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I mean, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least but is there a more reliable source out there that backs this up?

Apparently Cosmic News is just a 'swipe from other accounts' clickbait type account. Cartoon Brew goes into more detail about what the numbers mean. There's a short thread.

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1561794841499078657?s=21&t=M_71tLyWMPnInqVOz4zbzA

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wow who would think that people would very quickly decide to stop investing in a company that has declared it will stop making or distributing any product. It's like tax law exploitation is directly antithetical to what the company should be doing.

If the major stockholders don't start rebelling it's only gonna get worse.

FilthyImp posted:

Hirsch allegedly had a habit of just peeing in a sink or something.

The Hygiene issue was a result of him getting burnt out and doing the Live In My Office bit.

Yeah, he's said that he burned out bad doing Gravity Falls, which is why he cut things short. that may also be why he's not tried to be a showrunner for any later projects, some people just don't deal well with responsibility.

Possibly channeling the mentality of crazy people made things worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wow who would think that people would very quickly decide to stop investing in a company that has declared it will stop making or distributing any product. It's like tax law exploitation is directly antithetical to what the company should be doing.

If the major stockholders don't start rebelling it's only gonna get worse.

Yeah, he's said that he burned out bad doing Gravity Falls, which is why he cut things short. that may also be why he's not tried to be a showrunner for any later projects, some people just don't deal well with responsibility.

Possibly channeling the mentality of crazy people made things worse.

Speaking of, has Hirsch done anything significant since GF out of curiosity besides voicing two major characters in The Owl House (and of course that one episode of Amphibia that was a more or less a blatant Gravity Falls tribute)?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He’s a producer on Inside Job, though I don’t know how involved he is beyond voicing a character or two.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
According to IMDB he also has some other untitled project in the works.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
forgive my ignorance on the industry, but a lot of the staff working on these teams (VAs, writers, animators) are union right? have the various unions and guilds spoken about this? i admit i don't really know how this sort of thing is handled but it seems like there'd be at least some sort of pushback there. like thats whole point of a union.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Regalingualius posted:

He’s a producer on Inside Job, though I don’t know how involved he is beyond voicing a character or two.

His authorial voice comes through pretty strongly, I felt. He even re-mines some of the same personal anecdotes for jokes (Gravity Falls fans will recognize Bear-O).

It's surprisingly good show. Plus there are background gags like this:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Countblanc posted:

forgive my ignorance on the industry, but a lot of the staff working on these teams (VAs, writers, animators) are union right? have the various unions and guilds spoken about this? i admit i don't really know how this sort of thing is handled but it seems like there'd be at least some sort of pushback there. like thats whole point of a union.
i'd argue that these decisions from zaslav are almost an intentional "know your place" statement to animators seeking a new deal

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah at this point it's less about the company making money and more a bunch of public executions to remind the peasants who's really in charge. The entire company will be dead and bits sold off to random holding companies while Zaslav pockets a nice gigantic bonus and goes off to find the next company to gut like a buffalo.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Genndy Tartakovsky will most likely be next on the chopping block. :cry:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, on the subject of "backups of rapidly disappearing popular kids' TV", is there a reliable source for blurays of Steven Universe that I can play on a US player? I remember I wound up getting Australian imports of the final seasons of Adventure Time, but Amazon isn't very good at pointing out which ones are the ones I want, and I'd rather not buy from them anyway if I can avoid it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

So, on the subject of "backups of rapidly disappearing popular kids' TV", is there a reliable source for blurays of Steven Universe that I can play on a US player? I remember I wound up getting Australian imports of the final seasons of Adventure Time, but Amazon isn't very good at pointing out which ones are the ones I want, and I'd rather not buy from them anyway if I can avoid it.

Not that I’ve been able to find which is why SU is on my list of shows to *legitimately acquire* in preparation for the coming purge.

I’d love to just buy the Blu Ray boxed set instead but apparently animation studios just hate money for some reason.

Side note: If anyone knows of any good ~completely legit~ sources for some of the less popular shows like Tig n Seek or Jellystone PM me. People will hold on to Infinity Train but I worry some of the less known shows will just get lost to time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, are any of Disney’s old cartoons in that regard (Gravity Falls, Star Vs, Steven Universe, etc) up on Disney+ out of curiosity?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, are any of Disney’s old cartoons in that regard (Gravity Falls, Star Vs, Steven Universe, etc) up on Disney+ out of curiosity?

Gravity Falls & Star Vs. are on D+, they’re pretty good about putting up old shows, even pretty obscure ones. Steven Universe isn’t Disney.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arcsech posted:

Gravity Falls & Star Vs. are on D+, they’re pretty good about putting up old shows, even pretty obscure ones. Steven Universe isn’t Disney.

Oh for some reason I thought it was, nevermind then. Related to Disney however, from what I hear it seems their gradual move away from serialized programming only applies to TV (from here on out it seems anything in that regard will be exclusive to D+)

Regardless, are SU and Future still available legally in some fashion or did they get purged recently as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 23, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SU i think is too popular for WBD to gently caress with, like OG Adventure Time, and it's over anyway. also one of those fandoms where if you were to write the shows off for tax purposes and disappear them forever, an unhinged obsessive fan might do something really dangerous. same with rick & morty

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That crossover episode of Steven Universe is now the only evidence that Uncle Grandpa ever existed.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

thelaughingman posted:

Genndy Tartakovsky will most likely be next on the chopping block. :cry:

Yeah, amidst all this I've braced myself for this to be the last season of Primal.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I only discovered Primal last week, so I'm mostly just holding my breath that Zaslav doesn't have Tartakovsky murdered and dumped in a ditch.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

SU i think is too popular for WBD to gently caress with,

They just canceled a Batman thing. Batman. If that ain't a sign that popularity means nothing I don't know what is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think they'd only write off Steven Universe if they're writing off the entirety of Cartoon Network's back catalog.

So uh watch out for that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Plus isn't the new CEO a massive chud? I imagine he would hate Steven Universe

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Plus isn't the new CEO a massive chud? I imagine he would hate Steven Universe

lol if you think he knows and/or cares what the actual content of these shows are

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TwoPair posted:

They just canceled a Batman thing. Batman. If that ain't a sign that popularity means nothing I don't know what is.
It's weird to say but IDK what the actual popularity of the DCAU has been like lately with all the DTV films over the last 15 years; DC TV animation might be a lot more lukewarm in terms of ratings and buzz than the live-action film department. similarly if Disney cancelled a Marvel movie i'd be like "holy poo poo" but if they cancelled a Marvel cartoon I'd think "oh, okay I guess". The only recent DC example I have in memory is Young Justice repeatedly underperforming while also being screwed over constantly (potentially being responsible for the underperforming).

apparently the previous batman cartoon (Beware the Batman) was performing so badly that it was pulled mid-run like a broadcast TV show would be, and was then written off, but that was years ago. even though BTB and B:CC don't share much DNA, zaslav is enough of an idiot that I could see him thinking "oh well that did badly so this will probably do badly too".

the superhero genre may just not have the kind of crossover potential from film to animation that you would expect in terms of audience (when you consider how massive the film audience is compared to the relatively standard or average TV audiences for the cartoons). from my perspective you'd think that Spiderverse would get people really into superhero cartoons, but i don't know that you could really name a super successful one in the past decade that hit Steven Universe-level of bigtime outside of maybe the Ben-iverse maybe? i guess Big Hero 6 got three seasons? but i never saw anyone talk about it during its run. Invincible had some buzz but it was also very much not an all-ages show, that one COULD grow into a big one. also on the adult front AND at HBO Max, Harley Quinn does well enough at least that it has avoided the axe for now. but there isn't a superhero cartoon that has the kind of popularity or fandom level that Steven Universe or Adventure Time or Gravity Falls had. which means they are just as vulnerable as anything else when it comes to getting chopped. like, you would think a Looney Tunes production shouldn't be chopped, but if it turns out the 2020 Looney Tunes didn't perform well enough on HBO Max (and I don't know if that's the case or not but the audience numbers on wiki for the CN broadcasts don't look great), then the iconic power of bugs bunny ends up not mattering. and then with Scoob, even though Covid hosed it over, a bean counter doesn't care about that, and just sees that it was a box office flop, so he won't understand why they're funding a followup.

I kind of meandered there but what i mean to say is, if it's not a breakout hit, or a show that developed significant cultural cache, I'd be concerned about it. if it's a new IP, i'd be extra concerned about it. we don't really know the specific bean counting that's resulting in these decisions, it could be because of past failures, it could be an agenda, it could be zaslav just wanting all kids & family content shuffled off HBO Max completely, either to another service, another distributor, or the void.

the frustrating thing is that especially with animation, sometimes you need time to build up an audience and following, but zaslav seems very much of the "every new thing must be a breakout hit or it's gone" mentality that has made over-the-air TV in the last 20 years such a disaster... but with the added caveat of "because otherwise I'll plug in more reality TV which is cheaper"

e: haha of course i forgot Teen Titans Go. yeah that one is pretty loving huge. i feel like any other superhero cartoon that doesn't hit TTG numbers is a potential casualty post-merger

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Beware the Bat was alright, but it was definitely in the shadow of the previous series being so much better. It made sense to try doing a more grounded take to tie in with the popularity of the movies, but trying to lower the stakes probably didn't help. I think I was skeptical when I first heard of a prospective attempt to revive the original animated series, but it's still lame to just scrap projects at random, especially if work has already been sunk into them.

I think a lot of superhero animation kinda fell out of my notice lately, but not for lack of shows, it's pretty heavily saturated. There's a lot of stuff out there playing it straight, there's more comedy stuff like Teen Titans Go, there's specialty stuff targeted for kids like Spidey and His Amazing Friends, there's serious stuff for adults like those animated dtv movies or Young Justice, there's adult comedy stuff like MODOK and Harley Quinn, there's DC Super Hero Girls targeting the female audience that comics often forget about. And that's only talking about the Big Two, there's a slew of stuff out there from outside DC and Marvel and even anime borrowing heavily from American superhero comics despite not having the business model that created them. There's plenty being done, just not a lot makes a big buzz. I liked Teen Titans Go when it was new, but fell behind. I was going to check out that Aquaman thing, but forgot about it. If there's diminishing returns from investing into the genre, it's because there's just so much of it. There's not a lot of buzz about specific shows cresting above the rest of the genre.

As for Looney Tunes, I can more easily see that as having a rough time in the metrics. They've been attempting to do something with the Looney Tunes for a while, but I've never seen much more than lukewarm about their attempts. And if for some reason you're just randomly liquidating large chunks of the company, why not trash the attempt to reconnect with the company's legacy.