Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

some plague rats posted:

Getting covid is also really lovely for elementary aged kids, what's your point.

That the entire thing was lovely?

As the parent of a 9 year old kid at the time, the basic logistics of it were a complete nightmare in and of themselves since parents also had to be defacto teachers as well as having to do their jobs - assuming they were deemed "essential". The whole thing sucked out loud for everyone involved and the mechanics of it just compounded the basic problem of the pandemic in the first place.

I took days off of work to be the "teacher" that day and it was horrible from top to bottom and for a multitide of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

evilweasel posted:

I use it as an example because the claim is it is politically bad to means-test and the very people claiming that turning around and getting mad at it is very good evidence the political claim is wrong. I was very clear on my view: it would be political malpractice not to means test handing out $10k when many people will not get it (again, because they didn't even go to college).
The impulse to means-test wastes money and limits the appeal of programs. Student loan forgiveness is popular, and it is very easy to figure out if someone has student loan debt.

If only this kind of scrutiny were applied to the PPP loans that were handed out like candy, but of course businesses play by different rules than the working class.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cat botherer posted:

The impulse to means-test wastes money and limits the appeal of programs. Student loan forgiveness is popular, and it is very easy to figure out if someone has student loan debt.

If only this kind of scrutiny were applied to the PPP loans that were handed out like candy, but of course businesses play by different rules than the working class.

Means-testing often does waste money, but a one-time income check of people who already have loans isn't going to cost anything.

The certification process is basically the same as the PPP. If they don't have your info, then you just go online and swear you qualify. It's a lot harder to defraud them forgiving an account they control than just giving cash to a business, though. But, that was one of the big complaints/problems about PPP; that it wasn't means-tested or verified enough and resulted in a ton of fraud. The DOJ says they have 2 million leads on potential PPP fraud that it will take them through 2024 to prosecute.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

I use it as an example because the claim is it is politically bad to means-test and the very people claiming that turning around and getting mad at it is very good evidence the political claim is wrong. I was very clear on my view: it would be political malpractice not to means test handing out $10k when many people will not get it (again, because they didn't even go to college).

I disagree with this argument completely, and I don't find your counter-argument of some nameless poster being an rear end in a top hat at some previous point to be all that persuasive. Student loan forgiveness is such an easy win, and the difference in messaging between "we've forgiven 10k of your student debt, it's already done, vote for me" and "you get 10k forgiven if you jump through these arbitrary hoops we've set up for no good reason to gently caress you up, just like everything else in life when you deal with the government" is a mile wide. Doesn't matter how accurate that second message actually is, that's how it'll sound. Do you honestly think that "everyone with student debt got 10k forgiven" and "some people with student debt got 10k forgiven" is actually going to make a blind bit of difference to the kind of hideous spite elemental that will get mad because someone in need got help and they didn't?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

I'm against the debt forgiveness in general

Why?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

some plague rats posted:

I disagree with this argument completely, and I don't find your counter-argument of some nameless poster being an rear end in a top hat at some previous point to be all that persuasive. Student loan forgiveness is such an easy win, and the difference in messaging between "we've forgiven 10k of your student debt, it's already done, vote for me" and "you get 10k forgiven if you jump through these arbitrary hoops we've set up for no good reason to gently caress you up, just like everything else in life when you deal with the government" is a mile wide. Doesn't matter how accurate that second message actually is, that's how it'll sound. Do you honestly think that "everyone with student debt got 10k forgiven" and "some people with student debt got 10k forgiven" is actually going to make a blind bit of difference to the kind of hideous spite elemental that will get mad because someone in need got help and they didn't?

Here's the problem: at no point do you consider the precise person I am pointing to: the person who doesn't get $10k because they didn't go to college. I mentioned it twice! I have no doubt that when you don't consider the whole reason that it's politically beneficial to means test at all you arrive at the wrong conclusion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

some plague rats posted:

Only a single-digit percentage of people make over $125k and only a even smaller slice of that group has student loans. So, you're right that it doesn't make much difference. But, they weighed the "people getting mad about forgiving rich doctors and lawyers debts" vs. "some people making over $125k with student loans might get mad that they didn't get anything" and decided that the safer move politically was the first one.

Either way, I think that it doesn't make a huge difference one way or the other politically.

I think the overarching political issue/critique of "88% of people don't have student loans and the 12% that do are richer than the average American" is more of a political worry than the slice of people in the >$125k income range.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this. What value is this bringing to the thread? Please follow rule 2.B. Thank you.

evilweasel posted:

Even self-proclaimed leftists who proclaim they are against means testing hate when they think the wealthy are benefiting from a handout and they're not. We had that happen in this thread when someone (incorrectly) thought the child tax credit was not means-tested. Giving money to wealthy people and not to other people (for example: poor people who didn't go to college) is insanely unpopular and it would be political malpractice to do it.

You did this to me and it seems like you are about to do this to another poster. Please argue what has been posted and not arguments made up in your mind.

For the record, if student loan forgiveness was issue full stop, I, a spooky leftist (or whatever the new term is), wouldn’t give one single gently caress if it applies to rich folks if everyone benefitted from full student loans forgiveness.

Zophar posted:

If they can forgive 10k they can forgive all of it, and everyone's attention will turn to that fact forever onward.

Exactly.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"some people making over $125k with student loans might get mad that they didn't get anything"

That's not who I was referring to, there. I meant the people EW was talking about with no student loans who are mad at the idea of people who do getting help. Sorry if I wasn't clear

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I'm not sure I agree with your premise. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of high-earning software engineers role-playing as working class leftists that will abandon the Democratic party they've vowed to never vote for.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Here's the problem: at no point do you consider the precise person I am pointing to: the person who doesn't get $10k because they didn't go to college. I mentioned it twice! I have no doubt that when you don't consider the whole reason that it's politically beneficial to means test at all you arrive at the wrong conclusion.

That's an absolutely meaningless argument though. Should we stop funding AIDS research because most people don't have AIDS? Should we stop funding needle exchanges because most people don't do heroin? It's the job of the government to help people who need it and if some people who don't really need it get helped along the way that's a better outcome to me than vice versa.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I think it's horrendous policy if not park of a package completely revamping public undergrad/grad school. A one time forgiveness is a cynical election ploy and nothing more. It doesn't help anyone on ibr, anyone on paye, barely helps those with private loans (especially those who paid off their higher interest public debt , still have private, and now get nothing), and it will only drive up costs further in the future. And most importantly, it doesn't help anyone who didn't go to college and doesn't help anyone who went to a cheaper but worse school to avoid debt.

IBR and PAYE were already mistakes that drove costs even higher, but at least they helped people at the end of the 25/20 year forgiveness.

This doesn't do anything but try to win a few Congressional house seats , but even doing blanket forgiveness is still bad when it doesn't help anyone going forward.

I guess if you just want Dems to win it's a good move since it will potentially drive turnout with a 'vote for us to get money" every few years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

some plague rats posted:

That's not who I was referring to, there. I meant the people EW was talking about with no student loans who are mad at the idea of people who do getting help. Sorry if I wasn't clear

No problem. I misunderstood. But, as my last sentence in the post states, I agree with you that very few of the people who are upset that people are getting loans forgiven in principle will be okay with it if there is an income cap. I'm sure a few will, but anybody who deeply cares about it enough in principle probably isn't going to be assuaged by the fact that 3-4% of the richest people are excluded.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jarmak posted:

I'm not sure I agree with your premise. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of high-earning software engineers role-playing as working class leftists that will abandon the Democratic party they've vowed to never vote for.

fuuuuuck offffffff

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Only a single-digit percentage of people make over $125k and only a even smaller slice of that group has student loans. So, you're right that it doesn't make much difference. But, they weighed the "people getting mad about forgiving rich doctors and lawyers debts" vs. "some people making over $125k with student loans might get mad that they didn't get anything" and decided that the safer move politically was the first one.

This argument could (and probably would) be turned around: "Why shouldn't successful doctors and lawyers with student loans get forgiveness just like $UNDESERVING_GROUP did?"

Means testing creates barriers, and has an incredibly good track record of dissuading people from using social programs. Income checks are added work, and I guarantee you it will prevent a lot of overwhelmed people working lovely jobs with student loans to not go through with the process.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jarmak posted:

Please try to contribute something or be funnier if you're going to do a single sentence white noise post. Even appending something snarky like that to the end of a post that contributed something would be fine.

some plague rats posted:

fuuuuuck offffffff

I know it was in response to him, but this also isn't super useful.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 23, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Less damaging” is not implicitly:

Nor is it somehow stating Trump has no fault or minimal fault to the US covid response.

Please do better when formulating your arguments instead of putting words in my posts I didn’t write. Thank you.

You are consistently trying to do anything besides defend the posts that I have repeatedly pointed to. Again, let me be clear: you claimed Fauci was worse than Trump. That's not an interpretation of your post, that's exactly what you posted. You've made one tepid attempt to defend this insane position, and immediately abandoned it when I responded in favor of trying to claim I am misreading your posts.

Your claims about Fauci are, as I have said, reskinned right-wing propaganda. They are reskinnned - not exactly the same - but they derive from the same source and follow the same beats, of creating Other Enemies to try to diminish the magnitude of how much damage Trump did to the COVID response and is still doing. Part of what makes it clear it's this sort of reskinned propaganda is this "well Fauci was anti-mask too!" is also a right-wing talking point. But it makes more sense there - they're using it in a "who can know the truth, there is no truth, only trump" style argument. It doesn't make any sense in the way you've tried to fashion it - that two months of discouraging masks when they were in short supply based on erroneous medical information that was quickly corrected when the information was updated, vs two years of mendaciously lying about masks and basically anything else covid-related. Here, you're taking propaganda out of the context it even made a lick of sense which is why it's clear it's reskinned right-wing propaganda - I don't know what news sources you're marinating in to get it, but you should get different ones.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mastershakeman posted:

I think it's horrendous policy if not park of a package completely revamping public undergrad/grad school. A one time forgiveness is a cynical election ploy and nothing more. It doesn't help anyone on ibr, anyone on paye, barely helps those with private loans (especially those who paid off their higher interest public debt , still have private, and now get nothing), and it will only drive up costs further in the future. And most importantly, it doesn't help anyone who didn't go to college and doesn't help anyone who went to a cheaper but worse school to avoid debt.

Yeah the bolded part is the big thing. Student debt forgiveness is just a band-aid, and doesn't really solve the problem. Federal and state governments really need to turn the screws on universities and get them to stop spending so much money on stupid stuff which has little to do with education.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mastershakeman posted:

IBR and PAYE were already mistakes that drove costs even higher, but at least they helped people at the end of the 25/20 year forgiveness.

This doesn't do anything but try to win a few Congressional house seats , but even doing blanket forgiveness is still bad when it doesn't help anyone going forward.

I guess if you just want Dems to win it's a good move since it will potentially drive turnout with a 'vote for us to get money" every few years.

This is a totally fair criticism. Forgiveness was originally paired with Biden's "convert all loans to income-based that are automatically forgiven after X years" and "make 2 years of college/community college free," but those died. A one-time blanket forgiveness isn't the best idea for dealing with student loan problems from a public policy perspective and I think you're right that the motivation for it is largely political, but I would be more charitable and say it is trying to salvage the one thing they can do executively rather than just doing nothing. It will help a good chunk of people and it is not the best way to handle it (and you are correct that it just sets up a future repeat of the situation down the road if they don't fix the costs and loans themselves), but it is probably better overall than nothing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

some plague rats posted:

That's an absolutely meaningless argument though. Should we stop funding AIDS research because most people don't have AIDS? Should we stop funding needle exchanges because most people don't do heroin? It's the job of the government to help people who need it and if some people who don't really need it get helped along the way that's a better outcome to me than vice versa.

So again, you're just not actually wrestling with the issue. Here's the issue. There are tons of people who didn't go to college, and their life is, well, not great. They need more help. They do not look at college grads as people who are more deserving of help than they are. It's already kind of politically dicey to do student loan relief on that basis - but the Democratic Party is doing it anyway. What will turn that annoyance from the people not getting help to rage is when it's pointed out that, say, a first-year lawyer making $180k a year got the $10k in loan forgiveness.

Your counter-argument here makes no sense at all. Remember, what we are discussing is if you should cut student loan relief off for the people who do not need it. Your claim is that it is politically beneficial to not means-test. Basically, that the annoyance from people who have to jump through hoops (that you appear to have made up whole cloth in your mind) to get the $10-$20k will outweigh the political damage from it being advertised you gave wealthy young first-year lawyers making $180k a year that $10k they definitely didn't need. If you want to argue that it is a moral imperative to give those lawyers the $10k too akin to funding AIDS research, sure, go ahead I guess. I think I'd just let you make that argument and view it as self-refuting. But that's not the discussion we are having.

As Leon has been posting, the Biden admin has had plenty of time to think about how to implement this and implement it well, and it looks like they've done that. You do not appear to have considered, at all, the political blowback (aside from just dismissing it as from "spite elementals") from not means-testing it. There's a reason this stuff is consistently means-tested. It's not because nobody has ever thought of "hey, what if it's politically popular to give money to rich people?" The republican party tries that with every tax cut. It stopped working.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

So again, you're just not actually wrestling with the issue. Here's the issue. There are tons of people who didn't go to college, and their life is, well, not great. They need more help. They do not look at college grads as people who are more deserving of help than they are. It's already kind of politically dicey to do student loan relief on that basis - but the Democratic Party is doing it anyway. What will turn that annoyance from the people not getting help to rage is when it's pointed out that, say, a first-year lawyer making $180k a year got the $10k in loan forgiveness.

Your counter-argument here makes no sense at all. Remember, what we are discussing is if you should cut student loan relief off for the people who do not need it. Your claim is that it is politically beneficial to not means-test. Basically, that the annoyance from people who have to jump through hoops (that you appear to have made up whole cloth in your mind) to get the $10-$20k will outweigh the political damage from it being advertised you gave wealthy young first-year lawyers making $180k a year that $10k they definitely didn't need. If you want to argue that it is a moral imperative to give those lawyers the $10k too akin to funding AIDS research, sure, go ahead I guess. I think I'd just let you make that argument and view it as self-refuting. But that's not the discussion we are having.

As Leon has been posting, the Biden admin has had plenty of time to think about how to implement this and implement it well, and it looks like they've done that. You do not appear to have considered, at all, the political blowback (aside from just dismissing it as from "spite elementals") from not means-testing it. There's a reason this stuff is consistently means-tested. It's not because nobody has ever thought of "hey, what if it's politically popular to give money to rich people?" The republican party tries that with every tax cut. It stopped working.

I think one of the points Some Plague Rats is making that is probably true is that what you have written is largely accurate, but we don't know how motivated people will be to actually express it via voting. If you're doing it for a political reason and it doesn't make a difference in votes, then it was probably unnecessary.

The biggest example of this is the 70+% of people who want stricter gun laws and don't like the GOP's gun policy, but a large chunk of them are still going to vote for the GOP regardless of if they are upset about that aspect. Almost nobody was making that issue their deciding vote, even if they didn't agree with it.

Maybe it does make a difference in votes, but I don't think there is any way to really know (both because this would be unprecedented, so you can't just compare it to the last mass forgiveness and because polling can't accurately capture the real political impact of it).

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

If you want to make the argument that other people also need help, they should be getting it, and the fact that student loan forgiveness is basically the only proposal the Biden admin is putting forward to help people in need is a colossal moral and political failure then sure, we agree entirely. But we're talking specifically about the mechanics of student loan forgiveness, not the wider failings of Biden as a leader and a person. Not sure about this distinction between annoyance and rage you're making either, it seems entirely arbitrary and made up to be honest.

evilweasel posted:

Didn't say either of these things and if you think I did I can only encourage you to reread my posts.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Okay we're actually in total agreement on this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think one of the points Some Plague Rats is making that is probably true is that what you have written is largely accurate, but we don't know how motivated people will be to actually express it via voting. If you're doing it for a political reason and it doesn't make a difference in votes, then it was probably unnecessary.

The biggest example of this is the 70+% of people who want stricter gun laws and don't like the GOP's gun policy, but a large chunk of them are still going to vote for the GOP regardless of if they are upset about that aspect. Almost nobody was making that issue their deciding vote, even if they didn't agree with it.

Hopefully that's true. I'm not sure why I'd run that risk though: the bleed of blue-collar workers from the Democratic party has been the precise thing that's damaged them in the past decade, and that's precisely who I would view as most likely to be offended by the idea of giving someone making $180k a year out of school debt relief.

In other news, I had no loving idea this was in the IRA and I am still puzzled how in the blazes Democrats slipped this past the parliamentarian - Congress reversed the recent Supreme Court decision that gutted the EPA's ability to regulate carbon dioxide by claiming Congress hadn't spoken clearly enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/22/climate/epa-supreme-court-pollution.html

quote:

When the Supreme Court restricted the ability of the Environmental Protection Agency to fight climate change this year, the reason it gave was that Congress had never granted the agency the broad authority to shift America away from burning fossil fuels.

Now it has.

Throughout the landmark climate law, passed this month, is language written specifically to address the Supreme Court’s justification for reining in the E.P.A., a ruling that was one of the court’s most consequential of the term. The new law amends the Clean Air Act, the country’s bedrock air-quality legislation, to define the carbon dioxide produced by the burning of fossil fuels as an “air pollutant.”

That language, according to legal experts as well as the Democrats who worked it into the legislation, explicitly gives the E.P.A. the authority to regulate greenhouse gases and to use its power to push the adoption of wind, solar and other renewable energy sources.

“The language, we think, makes pretty clear that greenhouse gases are pollutants under the Clean Air Act,” said Senator Tom Carper, the Delaware Democrat who led the movement to revise the law. With the new law, he added, there are “no ifs, ands or buts” that Congress has told federal agencies to tackle carbon dioxide, methane and other heat-trapping emissions from power plants, automobiles and oil wells.

This month, in the hours before the bill passed the Senate, Republicans waged a last-minute, mostly unsuccessful predawn battle to remove the language from the legislation. Later that day, the Senate approved the climate-and-tax bill by a vote of 51 to 50, along party lines, with Vice President Kamala Harris casting the tiebreaking vote.

Republicans objected to the language, and to the fact that it appeared in a budget bill, a category of legislation focused on government spending and revenue.

“It’s buried in there,” Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, said on Fox News Business ahead of the Senate vote. “The Democrats are trying to overturn the Supreme Court’s West Virginia vs. E.P.A. victory,” he added, referring to the ruling that curbed the E.P.A.’s ability to tackle global warming. Mr. Cruz did not respond to requests to discuss his opposition.

Conservative organizations that have challenged the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority in the past said the new law would not stop future lawsuits. Robert Henneke, executive director of the Texas Public Policy Foundation, a conservative nonprofit group, said “sneaking in this verbiage” into the new law “is probably just going to set up future regulatory fights.”

Legal experts, on the other hand, said those fights would almost certainly be harder to win.

Jody Freeman, a professor at Harvard Law School and an expert on the Clean Air Act, said the language cemented E.P.A.’s authority and would be “a powerful disincentive” to new lawsuits.

The new law includes about $370 billion over 10 years to expand the use of electric vehicles, jump-start renewable energy such as solar and wind power, and develop newer energy sources like clean hydrogen. It is the largest investment in climate-change solutions in United States history, and it is expected to help cut emissions about 40 percent below 2005 levels by the end of this decade.

That gets close to Mr. Biden’s goal of cutting emissions roughly in half during that time period, but White House officials have said they intend to pursue new regulations through the Environmental Protection Agency to close the gap.

Among other things, the law provides billions of dollars to the E.P.A. to reduce emissions from power plants and helps to fund the development of wind, solar and power sources that don’t emit carbon dioxide. The law also encourages states to adopt California’s aggressive plan to phase out gas-powered vehicles by 2035.

Republican attorneys general and conservative allies in states that rely heavily on fossil fuels are pursuing legal efforts to limit the federal government’s power to cut emissions, in part by challenging the legal doctrine by which Congress has delegated authority to federal agencies to regulate the environment.

Mr. Henneke of the Texas Public Policy Foundation called the billions of dollars in the climate law “a total end run” around the Supreme Court decision limiting the E.P.A. He described it as a continuation of what he called “the war on coal, the war on energy, the war on fossil fuels.”

The Clean Air Act was enacted in 1970, at the birth of the environmental movement, and is the primary law defining the E.P.A.’s responsibilities for protecting and regulating air quality. It was significantly expanded in 1990 to curb other major environmental threats like acid rain and urban smog.

The act does define greenhouse gases in some sections, but does not explicitly direct the Environmental Protection Agency to regulate carbon dioxide. Rather, it more broadly asks the agency to regulate pollutants that “endanger human health.” In 2007, the Supreme Court, in Massachusetts vs. E.P.A., No. 05-1120, ordered the agency to determine whether carbon dioxide fit that description. In 2009, the E.P.A. concluded that it did.

That conclusion meant carbon dioxide could be legally defined as a pollutant and regulated. The Obama and Biden administrations used that finding to justify regulations on gasoline-powered vehicles and coal and gas-burning power plants, and several Supreme Court cases subsequently upheld that authority.

Yet, because Congress had never before directly addressed the issue, challenges have continued. In West Virginia vs. E.P.A., No. 20-1530, the landmark ruling this year, conservative Supreme Court justices made clear that if lawmakers really wanted the government to move away from fossil fuels, they should say so.

“One threshold assumption in the ruling was that Congress had not made it abundantly clear that E.P.A. had a responsibility to address climate pollution from the power sector,” said Vickie Patton, general counsel for the Environmental Defense Fund. “Well, it is now abundantly clear,” she said.

Some experts played down the effect of the provisions. Jeff Holmstead, an energy lawyer who served in the E.P.A. during both Bush administrations, said there was a near-zero chance that legal efforts by some conservative groups to eliminate the government’s ability to regulate climate pollution would have prevailed anyway.

“I don’t think it changes anything,” Mr. Holmstead said of the law’s effect on the Supreme Court ruling. But he called the clean energy incentives in the bill “very significant,” saying, “those tax credits certainly will make it easier for companies to transition away from fossil fuels.”

The E.P.A. didn’t respond to a request for comment on what effect the law might have on agency regulations.

In the hours before the legislation passed the Senate, Republicans fiercely fought the language behind closed doors, according to three Senate aides who were involved in the discussions.

Environmental advocates noted that the language had appeared in an early version of the climate and tax package that passed the House in November. It didn’t change when two Democratic senators, Chuck Schumer of New York and Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, announced in mid-July that they had reached a new deal, which they called the Inflation Reduction Act.

Republicans first tried to persuade the Senate parliamentarian, Elizabeth MacDonough, the nonpartisan referee whose job it was to check the bill against the intricate rules for passing budget bills, that there should be no explicit references to greenhouse gases as pollutants.

Seated around a long table in the ornate Lyndon Baines Johnson room, just off the Senate floor, on Aug. 5, top Republican and Democratic aides faced off for more than three hours. Ultimately Ms. MacDonough allowed that language and other provisions amending the Clean Air Act to go through.

Later, on the Senate Floor, Senator Shelley Moore Capito, a West Virginia Republican, successfully cut from the package $45 million that she argued would have expanded E.P.A.’s authority and did not meet the complex rules for passing a budget bill. But Democrats and legal experts said the fundamental changes to Clean Air Act and amendments to it remained intact.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Your claims about Fauci are, as I have said, reskinned right-wing propaganda. They are reskinnned - not exactly the same - but they derive from the same source and follow the same beats, of creating Other Enemies to try to diminish the magnitude of how much damage Trump did to the COVID response and is still doing.

Once again, you are not addressing what I wrote but are instead attacking a position I didn’t take nor say.

You seem to be doing it again to another poster:

some plague rats posted:

Didn't say either of these things and if you think I did I can only encourage you to reread my posts.

Please follow rule 1.B.1. Here it is for your convenience:

quote:

When replying, respond only to what the poster said. Doing otherwise leads to posters talking past each other.

Thank you.

mastershakeman posted:

Agreed. Higher education should be a public good full stop. It would be a benefit for even selfish reasons as society would have a larger pull of potentially talented citizens in multiple areas.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Please try to contribute something or be funnier if you're going to do a single sentence white noise post. Even appending something snarky like that to the end of a post that contributed something would be fine.

I know it was in response to him, but this also isn't super useful.

125k represents the top 90% percentile of income in the United States. Less than 40% of Americans have undergrad degrees. The barrier of entry we're discussing is the top third of educational attainment in the richest country in the world logging on to a website to click a button affirming they're not a member of the global elite.

Edit: barrier of entry for receiving $10k from the federal government

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 23, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

some plague rats posted:

If you want to make the argument that other people also need help, they should be getting it, and the fact that student loan forgiveness is basically the only proposal the Biden admin is putting forward to help people in need is a colossal moral and political failure then sure, we agree entirely. But we're talking specifically about the mechanics of student loan forgiveness, not the wider failings of Biden as a leader and a person. Not sure about this distinction between annoyance and rage you're making either, it seems entirely arbitrary and made up to be honest.

I think that you would have to be knowingly and intentionally dishonest to claim that student loan forgiveness is basically the only proposal the Biden Administration is putting forward to help people in need: not only has tremendous amounts of help been given to people successfully, much more was proposed that was ultimately unsuccessful. Indeed, there were many specifically targeted at the student loan issue in the ultimately failed Build Back Better bill.

Turning to the discussion again, you are discussing "mechanics" that exist only in your head. The actual mechanic is "it's limited to under-$125k earners" and you have offered no real justification for why that is morally problematic. Only made claims that repeatedly don't actually make any sense at all: claiming it is politically damaging to means-test it while just sort of ignoring entirely why the means-testing is politically needed, despite many attempts to get you to engage on the subject.

some plague rats posted:

You compared means-testing student loan relief to not funding AIDS research, an absurd position. The second bolded thing is my point, about why you are wrong: republicans have specifically ran on "our tax cut isn't for the rich, it's a tax cut for everyone!" and the result was their most recent tax cut was less popular than some tax hikes. It's not the winning message you seem to think it is.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Jarmak posted:

125k represents the top 90% percentile of income in the United States. Less than 40% of Americans have undergrad degrees. The barrier of entry we're discussing is the top third of educational attainment in the richest country in the world logging on to a website to click a button affirming they're not a member of the global elite.

Luckily the richest country in the world as the capital and means to do more than student loan forgiveness. Many leftist voices have come out in favor of public higher education as a better alternative, even in this very thread :)

The US could forgive loans AND provide free higher education. Not to mention more public goods than just education. Just need to aim higher.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

some plague rats posted:

Getting covid is also really lovely for elementary aged kids, what's your point.

A large percentage of parents having had / done both will tell you the school closures were definitely worse and directly more harmful to their kids.

But society thought Applebee’s was more important and the center / left didn’t want to hear it. Even though the first thing the Chinese opened up was schools. So now the right gets to turn that parent anger into more racism and fascism.

Jim Eagle
Aug 18, 2022

by Hand Knit

evilweasel posted:

Even self-proclaimed leftists who proclaim they are against means testing hate when they think the wealthy are benefiting from a handout and they're not. We had that happen in this thread when someone (incorrectly) thought the child tax credit was not means-tested. Giving money to wealthy people and not to other people (for example: poor people who didn't go to college) is insanely unpopular and it would be political malpractice to do it.

Pretty broad statement that seems pretty easy to falsify.

For instance - I have no student loans and I would prefer student loan forgiveness applies to everyone without conditions (I am also a self-proclaimed leftist).

You are clearly and provably wrong on this point.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CNN says that Biden is going to announce $10,000 in student loan debt forgiveness as a baseline, with additional forgiveness above $10,000 "for specific subsets of the population."

No info on what those subsets will be or how much extra money it will be.

Plan is to announce it on Wednesday in conjunction with an announcement about the student loan pause, but they say "11th hour changes or rescheduling could still happen."

The only requirements will be an income cap of $125k for single people and $250k for people filing jointly.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1561851347900710920

Forgiving anything implies that the freeze will thaw eventually, but that seems like political suicide for the executive that does it. It also implies more than 10k can be forgiven. Horrible plan.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

In other news, I had no loving idea this was in the IRA and I am still puzzled how in the blazes Democrats slipped this past the parliamentarian - Congress reversed the recent Supreme Court decision that gutted the EPA's ability to regulate carbon dioxide by claiming Congress hadn't spoken clearly enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/22/climate/epa-supreme-court-pollution.html

Wait, what? How in the gently caress did the Democrats reverse WV v EPA in a reconciliation bill. That is amazing, and I can't imagine what argument they could have put forward to get the parliamentarian to OK this. It seems to be clearly a policy change unrelated to the budget.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

A large percentage of parents having had / done both will tell you the school closures were definitely worse and directly more harmful to their kids.

But society thought Applebee’s was more important and the center / left didn’t want to hear it. Even though the first thing the Chinese opened up was schools. So now the right gets to turn that parent anger into more racism and fascism.

School closures were more harmful than getting covid? What? Didn't the school closures happen when vaccine uptake was in it's infancy and the vast majority of people were unvaccinated...?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Rigel posted:

Wait, what? How in the gently caress did the Democrats reverse WV v EPA in a reconciliation bill. That is amazing, and I can't imagine what argument they could have put forward to get the parliamentarian to OK this. It seems to be clearly a policy change unrelated to the budget.

Whichever democratic aide made that case to the parliamentarian saved millions of lives.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

mastershakeman posted:

I think it's horrendous policy if not park of a package completely revamping public undergrad/grad school. snip

This is a totally fair criticism. Forgiveness was originally paired with Biden's "convert all loans to income-based that are automatically forgiven after X years" and "make 2 years of college/community college free," but those died. A one-time blanket forgiveness isn't the best idea for dealing with student loan problems from a public policy perspective and I think you're right that the motivation for it is largely political, but I would be more charitable and say it is trying to salvage the one thing they can do executively rather than just doing nothing. It will help a good chunk of people and it is not the best way to handle it (and you are correct that it just sets up a future repeat of the situation down the road if they don't fix the costs and loans themselves), but it is probably better overall than nothing.

Curious, why did the additional "income-based loan conversion" and "2 years of free community college" changes that were originally part of Forgiveness "die"? And would their inclusion have satisfied the bar for a complete revamp of the public university system required to avoid being a "horrendous policy" that would inevitably drive up costs?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I really have no idea, and would like to hire that aide and would pay them a lot of money because they're a wizard.

It's a really incredible win just buried in there that I had no idea about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rigel posted:

It's not a full repeal of WV v. EPA. It just carves out a specific area in response to the Supreme Court ruling of "The Clean Air Act never explicitly mentions CO2!" and could still be challenged legally. It could have a major impact on the EPA's ability to regulate CO2 and other greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act, but it doesn't prevent all of the reduction in authority to other enforcement mechanisms from the ruling.

I am also a little surprised that the Parliamentarian ruled that price caps on private insurance were considered a regulatory issue and not a government spending issue, but let this slide.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

-Blackadder- posted:

Curious, why did the additional "income-based loan conversion" and "2 years of free community college" changes that were originally part of Forgiveness "die"? And would their inclusion have satisfied the bar for a complete revamp of the public university system required to avoid being a "horrendous policy" that would inevitably drive up costs?

They were part of a student loan reform program that was eventually partially added to the original BBB.

They basically converted all student loans, past and future, into a new type of student loan whose payment was capped at 5% of your disposable income above $25k. So, someone making around $50k would have about a $35-$40 a month payment, and it would all be forgiven after 20 years.

The college thing was meant to direct people to community college or trade schools for free or give 2 years of a public college for free. Part of the goal was to reduce demand for 4-year universities for people who wanted certain degrees. It may have driven up costs for community colleges, but those costs would be absorbed by the government instead of the student. I don't know if anyone ever did any serious attempt at modeling/predicting the plan's overall impact on costs and not just costs to students.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The $10k is only for the Fed subsidized loans right? and not the evil private loans - which I would guess would make up a bigger part of the worst balances out there.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/22/biden-admin-is-talking-daily-about-student-loan-forgiveness.html

I didn't watch the entire video at the bottom of the article, but this seemed to sum it up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Keyser_Soze posted:

The $10k is only for the Fed subsidized loans right? and not the evil private loans - which I would guess would make up the worst balances out there.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/22/biden-admin-is-talking-daily-about-student-loan-forgiveness.html

Yeah. If it is a fully private loan that someone received directly from a private lender and not subsidized through the DOE, then the DOE has no authority to forgive it unless congress passes a new law.