Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I haven't seen a single person say "Yeah, it's great that Feinstein's staff are puppeting a person with dementia." Do you have quotes?

look no further than up thread my friend. you can say that's not what they said, and in a literal sense it's not. but trying to pretend that this clearly senile lady is actually just tired or it's sleepy joe esque propaganda is disgusting and an endorsement of what her staffers have done. you can't ignore the methods of a thing and pretend that it's good now actually.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fermun posted:

edit: and also even as expensive as the HSR is, the needed additional capacity done with highway and airport expansions instead is estimated to cost 1.5x the current HSR cost estimates

assuming there's even adequate right of way available to build them in the first place

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Larry Parrish posted:

look no further than up thread my friend. you can say that's not what they said, and in a literal sense it's not. but trying to pretend that this clearly senile lady is actually just tired or it's sleepy joe esque propaganda is disgusting and an endorsement of what her staffers have done. you can't ignore the methods of a thing and pretend that it's good now actually.

I think exactly one person got confused by the "sleepy joe" and "train to nowhere" poo poo in the thread and figured that the Feinstein stuff was similarly propaganda. And since the media has been covering the elder abuse going on in the feinstein office, you often don't see reporting about how bad her situation really is.

I agree what the staff is doing is gross but the average person isn't aware of it because of the media carrying water.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so why were you carrying water lol.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It wasn't me, did you get confused?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Carrying water? In this climate?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
How exactly does someone set themselves on fire AND hang themselves at the same time?
Which makes everyone think the LAPD did it.

https://twitter.com/AdamOfTheSmiths/status/1557431151102373890

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Larry Parrish posted:

“Carrying water” and “blindly accepting every innocuous conversation as evidence of her mental deficiency” are miles apart. Maybe you missed the several times where I said I believe she is cognitively compromised. I just don’t think this particular anecdote is evidence of it.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I voted DeLeon in the last primary for this reason among many others. Not sure what else you’re looking for here.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

lol like that makes it any different

Yeah LA had people complaining about the Metro being built the entire time about how useless it was and a ton of people ride it.

But agreed that the US can't do infrastructure without doing it stupidly and expensively

Growing up in LA, I was always jealous of BART and now that I live in the Bay Area, I'm jealous of the investment into and expansion rate of the LA Metro

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

specifically the argument made is that the conversation reflects behavior that is perfectly normal and might apply to any healthy 30-year-old and their coworkers and that is patently not true. it is no secret that feinstein's office is being propped up to preserve her dynasty and that the emperor has no clothes. making these bizarre claims to defend her, especially when she is no friend to progressives, is stupid. ruthkanda forever

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Great news

https://twitter.com/taniel/status/1559282475720970241?s=21&t=lC1aUq8mX4jFCKOh3WR52A

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hooray. I’m so done with recalls being a thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Great! Too bad our fascist sheriff is getting reelected.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Great! Too bad our fascist sheriff is getting reelected.

Does the venn diagram of non-fascists and electable sheriff candidates intersect anywhere? It only takes one week of SOFT ON CRIME tv ads and anyone with empathy loses by like 40 points.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

xarph posted:

Does the venn diagram of non-fascists and electable sheriff candidates intersect anywhere? It only takes one week of SOFT ON CRIME tv ads and anyone with empathy loses by like 40 points.

Nah. The least bad candidate was the one who thought the most criminal cops should maybe face consequences.

But Villanueva is not even close to the least worst

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be funny to run for sheriff and run a bunch of those tough on crime ads but never specify which crimes I plan to fight. And then like, spend the entire term investigating seized security deposits as grand theft

the other option is to just literally be Walking Tall and fire all the deputies and do nothing all day

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If Alex Villenueva did everything he does now, but he did it in Kandahar Province instead of L.A. County, we would call him a warlord. He's a largely unaccountable political leader who uses a heavily-armed militia to extract money from individuals and governing bodies in a certain region. It's crazy that this is considered normal.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jaxyon posted:

Nah. The least bad candidate was the one who thought the most criminal cops should maybe face consequences.

But Villanueva is not even close to the least worst

I don't follow LA politics closely, but apparently Villanueva ran on a platform of reform. To some Democrats and progressives he seemed like the "least bad" candidate.

Maybe focusing on who would be the least bad wannabe warlord isn't the solution as much as changing the whole system from the ground up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

America Inc. posted:

I don't follow LA politics closely, but apparently Villanueva ran on a platform of reform. To some Democrats and progressives he seemed like the "least bad" candidate.

Maybe focusing on who would be the least bad wannabe warlord isn't the solution as much as changing the whole system from the ground up.

Yeah no poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Gascon's biggest hurdle will be all the YT videos of folks clearing out a TH Maxx aisle and what is being done to curb the losses of Capitol.

Lol.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

America Inc. posted:

Indeed he did, I remember that ballot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
goddamn gavbot looking out for how his gubernatorial policies will play in middle america for his inevitable presidential run

https://twitter.com/Oaklandside/status/1561844988878630917

that is some vague rear end window dressing explanation

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gavin Newsom will never be president.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
so our state employee union just wrapped up negotiations for the next three-year agreement

main concerns by members going into negotiations: overwhelmingly for restoring telework access, followed by salary raises/inflation

see, earlier this year after the state of the union and their "return to office" bullshit talking point, the state administration decided to force everyone back into the office during a pandemic, for extremely poorly-explained reasons after two years of full telework no problems. our district's chief decided that everyone would be going back for two days a week, at least when the building isn't being shut down by the county for exploding the local pandemic cases (of course they're playing games with that too to stay open longer). the official reason is "knowledge sharing" btw, a thing that definitely cannot be accomplished via the internet. here's some commentary on it if you'd like to read more about the nonsense they're pulling

anyway, here's what our bargaining unit brought back to us:

quote:

The Team proposed to greatly increase the availability of telework, including full-time telework, for our employees. The Team also proposed to expand the ability of our employees to utilize alternative work schedules. The State rejected both proposals. Citing “management rights” and the “operational needs” of the State to establish telework and alternative work schedules within departments, the State made clear that they were not giving up authority over these items to our employees.

lol. annual raises are 3% this year and 2% next year, no inflation adjustment whatsoever. we were asking for 10%

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

quote:

management rights

What a country! Seriously though, I hope you bargaining team had the good sense to laugh in management's faces and started prepping for a strike if management keeps offering paycuts only and no concessions.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we still have to vote on the agreement before it goes to the state lege

i will be voting no ofc and i'm considering emailing around to everyone else to make sure they are too

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is this PECG? Because I'll be voting no of it is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Goodpancakes posted:

Is this PECG? Because I'll be voting no of it is

yep lol

they hid the telework details in the FAQ, though i assume it'll come up in the next meeting which should be hilarious

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Kenning posted:

Gavin Newsom will never be president.

He'll be president, just not of the former United States of America, which ceased to exist in November 2024.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol. annual raises are 3% this year and 2% next year, no inflation adjustment whatsoever. we were asking for 10%

It's 2.5 this year, 3 next, and 2 in 2024. Was the original proposal 10%/year or just 10 for three years?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zachack posted:

It's 2.5 this year, 3 next, and 2 in 2024. Was the original proposal 10%/year or just 10 for three years?

oh whoops

yeah i only heard they were asking for either 10% inflation adjustment or straight raise, which made sense to me with the officially announced inflationary numbers for this year (from management rumors)

also kinda funny that the longevity raises are agreed to be increased by even more, definitely can't be seen to be screwing over the olds

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh whoops

yeah i only heard they were asking for either 10% inflation adjustment or straight raise, which made sense to me with the officially announced inflationary numbers for this year (from management rumors)

also kinda funny that the longevity raises are agreed to be increased by even more, definitely can't be seen to be screwing over the olds

The longevity pay isn't being increased, it's being accelerated so that younger people can get it. Olds are either already capped out or will jump to the cap.

Young and old being relative.

What was pecgs demand for telework? It sucks being at the whim of the telework lottery (although my office is basically "see you never") but I'm not sure how an agreement wouldn't result in pecg having to micromanage each office/job.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mine is also see you never, but I don't want that on the basis of who's running the show. I need to be able to make long term housing decisions without thinking that'll get blown the gently caress up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xarph posted:

He'll be president, just not of the former United States of America, which ceased to exist in November 2024.

can't wait to live in the Bear Flag Dominion circa 2040

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The first thing an independent California must do is steal the .ca TLD from Canada

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Goodpancakes posted:

Mine is also see you never, but I don't want that on the basis of who's running the show. I need to be able to make long term housing decisions without thinking that'll get blown the gently caress up

I guess I don't see how this would work without requiring that micromanaging - some locations will have engineers that need to be on-site in some fashion, and that agency should have some way of determining that itself. Ideally that agency wouldn't be stupid about it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

The first thing an independent California must do is steal the .ca TLD from Canada

nah, if we're gonna balkanize let's balkanize. .socal and .norcal

I mean, still let us have all your water and all.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zachack posted:

I guess I don't see how this would work without requiring that micromanaging - some locations will have engineers that need to be on-site in some fashion, and that agency should have some way of determining that itself. Ideally that agency wouldn't be stupid about it.

returning to the policy that was in place since early 2020 is what i assumed since it was previously working smoothly before they decided that the downtown lunch economy was more important than my continued health

simply saying "no" to a blanket demand to return to the office for two days a week, regardless of job duties, was the expectation that frankly we all had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dunno why we don't have a midcal to stick SLO in