Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For the input config I didn't really like the community options but I leaned some tricks from them. I used the WASD+Mouse template and added an inverted Shift (sprint) to the L-stick outer ring and assigned a Ctrl toggle (crouch) to L3. Suddenly it's working with a decent approximation of analog movement and the trackpad mouse works great out of the box. I expected way more fiddling than that.

Good story. Please upload your config with "Steam Deck" in the title, I'd like to try it out some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I continue to be amazed by this machine. It's surprisingly capable at playing PC games that were never intended to run on a device in this form factor (which, is unlike the Switch where many games specifically ported to that system aren't necessarily a great experience).

One of the things I was looking forward to doing when Valve first announced the Deck was revisiting the OG Half-Life. I assumed that the Half-Life series would be flagship titles for the Deck, and while Valve did go back and do a UI update for the HL2 episodes and Portal 1/2, along with official input configurations, they didn't really do that with Half-Life. At first I assumed that HL:Source is the intended version to play as I had been unaware of the whole debacle around that. I mean, it runs, but it doesn't have the UI update the other Source engine games do and no official input config.

OK, that's fine. I boot OG Half-Life and the screen is pillarboxed and a bit blurry, but all I have to do is enable the Widescreen option and it runs at 1280x800, so far so good.

For the input config I didn't really like the community options but I leaned some tricks from them. I used the WASD+Mouse template and added an inverted Shift (sprint) to the L-stick outer ring and assigned a Ctrl toggle (crouch) to L3. Suddenly it's working with a decent approximation of analog movement and the trackpad mouse works great out of the box. I expected way more fiddling than that.

Does Black Mesa existing mean Valve is done with OG Half-Life? I know it's not a direct remake of the original but it's not really clear if that's what folks "should" play now. I haven't checked it out yet but it appears to still have some issues according to ProtonDB.

I don't think Valve will update the original game but you never know. I've played Black Mesa for the first time this year and it was great to OK (if you just want to play the great parts it ends somewhere around Surface Tension).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

OG Half Life has gotten updates intermittently over the decades, I doubt they're completely done with it. All it takes is someone at Valve to be bored enough.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

ShaneB posted:

Anyone else getting sleep mode reawaken issues? My brother and I are both having audio work but not video when resuming Dead Cells lately.

I had some weird audio issues coming back from a game before. Wish I remember which one exactly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's loving stupid how many games default to having the trackpads act as joysticks. Dude, the joysticks are right there! The trackpads should behave like a mouse by default!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

OG Half Life has gotten updates intermittently over the decades, I doubt they're completely done with it. All it takes is someone at Valve to be bored enough.
"I"m bored. Time to boot the NT machine with Visual C++ 6 again."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Playing Black Mesa feels prehistoric, I shudder to think what playing OG HL1 would feel like at this point.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

jokes posted:

It's loving stupid how many games default to having the trackpads act as joysticks. Dude, the joysticks are right there! The trackpads should behave like a mouse by default!

:hmmyes:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

I think the reason the "Gamepad with Joystick Trackpad" template is default is because there's handful of games that go into sheer confusion mode if they receive both joystick and mouse input at the same time. Whereas if the game already supports joysticks, the trackpad as joystick will work albeit not well.

Official configurations should use the mouse trackpad where possible (and if not, update your game!) but in a lot of cases I think the official configurations are just the "Gamepad with Joystick Trackpad" configuration slapped on to get the game verified but it hasn't been play-tested extensively. You can tell which games got a token verification pass and which ones the developers spent some effort working on a good control setup.

All of this was a bit daunting for me when I first got my Deck. It would be helpful to have a list of "best"/archetypal games for each genre with regard to Deck support so people can get a sense of how games should play on it, and then when they to go play something else they can configure it optimally. The first game I tried was Control--Valve demoed it significantly when they announced the Deck so I mistakenly assumed it probably had the best support--but it gets screwy with mixed inputs and defaults to the joystick trackpad and my impression was "well this thing is useless."

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 22, 2022

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Only game Ive seen use the back buttons by default so far is Rimworld. Anyone seen any other games actually incorporate them yet?

I've found them nifty for FFXIV too but you have to set those up yourself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How is Rimworld on the deck? Any issues with the workshop?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ShaneB posted:

Playing Black Mesa feels prehistoric, I shudder to think what playing OG HL1 would feel like at this point.
Surprisingly OG Half-Life looks just as I remembered it.

I booted up realMyst (the 2014 Unity remake) and said "well, that's quaint" and wondering what Myst (1993) looked like I booted that up and it looks bad, really bad. DOOM has aged way more gracefully.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

jokes posted:

I haven't played enough yet to say. I can report back though if other goons don't answer your question in the next couple days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah I was just going to ask this.

Did they port in the console controls to the PC version?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zurtilik posted:

Only game Ive seen use the back buttons by default so far is Rimworld. Anyone seen any other games actually incorporate them yet?
Half-Life 2, Portal/Portal 2. Although, usually I just map the back buttons to some combination of face buttons so I never have to touch the latter.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I was just going to ask this.

Did they port in the console controls to the PC version?

I had a great time playing Rimworld on deck. I don't know the console controls, but the way to rotate items on the deck you actually have to tap the screen near the left touchpad. It's clear they made special controls just for the deck.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

jokes posted:

Frankly the track pads should be off by default, if a game is able to be controlled by a controller alone, which is most games nowadays. I've run into multiple steam games that are actively disrupted by having mouse+controller inputs at the same time. XCOM 2 was especially annoying, until I picked a default gamepad config and then switched on exclusive controller support in the options. Before that it was trying to make the gamepad emulate a mouse with cursor as the primary input mode, which is crazy when the game has a perfectly functional controller mode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Valve has come a long way with the controller configs though, I like how easy it is to change them now that I'm used to the menu

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Enter the Gungeon was free this weekend but it didn't feel great on the deck. First time really using the sticks and they felt pretty impercise, but the trackpad wasn't much better. It's great as a mouse but didn't seem good for fast movement. Also the deck on the whole felt too wide for something that fast paced. Bit of a disappointment as I felt that would be a good game on there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Enter the Gungeon was free this weekend but it didn't feel great on the deck. First time really using the sticks and they felt pretty impercise, but the trackpad wasn't much better. It's great as a mouse but didn't seem good for fast movement. Also the deck on the whole felt too wide for something that fast paced. Bit of a disappointment as I felt that would be a good game on there

I thought it felt awful on switch

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

UP AND ADAM posted:

Frankly the track pads should be off by default, if a game is able to be controlled by a controller alone, which is most games nowadays.
The argument is that L-stick + mouse trackpad is better than twin stick control. That was basically the entire premise of the Steam Controller.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The argument is that L-stick + mouse trackpad is better than twin stick control. That was basically the entire premise of the Steam Controller.
As someone who played Geometry Wars on the DS i can confirm any kind of touchpad for aiming is enormously superior to an analog stick for twin stick shooters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just a heads up that Forgive Me Father has one level that won't load on Steam Deck (E3M2, Cornfield). Freezes the Deck reliably no matter what the settings are. I ended up playing through that level on my desktop and then I was able to resume playing the game on the Deck afterward.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Pre ordered the 64gb. Now to order a big SD card and play the waiting game (currently tunic)

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
got my reservation email this morning! If anyone's still waiting, my reservation was placed Oct 9, 2021 and the various calculators online predicted I had another 30 days of waiting. So Valve has definitely accelerated things. Now I just have to cross my fingers that my 512gb model doesn't have bubbling under the etched screen the way so many recent 512s have had (if Reddit is to be believed).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

negativeneil posted:

got my reservation email this morning! If anyone's still waiting, my reservation was placed Oct 9, 2021 and the various calculators online predicted I had another 30 days of waiting.

Another 30 days of waiting, or was it getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev saying "You have 30 days worth of pre-orders to go until it is your turn (not real time)"?

The only other "calculator" I'm aware of (https://steam-deck-calculator.web.app/) has had a big ol disclaimer for a while saying that it is no longer supported and shouldn't be trusted in any way.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Yeah, that. I took it with a huge grain of salt and figured I'd get an email in the next 2-3 weeks, but this is a pleasant surprise. It's wild to buy a console and have no need to purchase games thanks to my insane Steam backlog.

edit: speaking of which, is there a way to transfer games on my windows PC to the deck or do I have to re-download? google is my friend

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 22, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just an FYI to the few of you who might want to do this, the OpenRCT2 in Discover is broken. For some reason it couldn't see all my folders so I couldn't direct it to my RCT2 folder and therefore couldn't start the game. If you want it to work just download the latest version from the website and install it that way.

Edit: Ok it's not broken. I'm very confused as to why this worked but I downloaded the version from the website and had trouble getting it to add to steam so I instead reinstalled the Discover version and that version now worked :psyduck:

Cowman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 22, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

negativeneil posted:

got my reservation email this morning! If anyone's still waiting, my reservation was placed Oct 9, 2021 and the various calculators online predicted I had another 30 days of waiting. So Valve has definitely accelerated things. Now I just have to cross my fingers that my 512gb model doesn't have bubbling under the etched screen the way so many recent 512s have had (if Reddit is to be believed).

Yeah it's really moving the past couple weeks. Here's mine after changing my mind on June 6th 2022. Already at 53%. Could be ready next week or the week after at this rate which is nuts. Maybe there's less demand for the 64gb, but I'm gonna swap the SSD and throw a big card in there anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got a big microSD, and the Deck keeps pooping out errors when I try to format it. It seems to work when I use it on other machines, so I’m not convinced that the card is defective.

I did some poking around and see that others have dealt with similar stuff, and it might be fixable with some linux hijinks. Anybody here have this issue?

Edit: tried it for the fifth time or so and it just worked. :iiam:

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 22, 2022

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Just got my email for the 256GB I pre-ordered on Oct 18th! (I don't know if it matters, but I'm in Canada.)

I wondered why I ordered that day and noticed it was the day Valve launched the Steam Deck verified site and was a couple weeks after Valve put out the "how to (not) take apart the Deck" video and Twitter videos of games running on the Deck, so I guess I just needed a little extra marketing to push me over the edge :v:.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I had no reason not to place a preorder as soon as Valve opened them to brand-new Steam accounts (which was "Saturday moring" not 48 hours later as they originally said) but it was definitely one of those situations where they made some pretty bold claims about being able to play the entire Steam library in the initial reveal, and subsequent showings indicated they might actually pull it off like 80%.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

negativeneil posted:

I received my 512 model around 1 month ago, which I think is after the bubbling issue started occurring. Thankfully, it seems okay so far with no bubbles. Hard to know what % of these models are affected.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've had my deck for almost 2 weeks and haven't had any issues with bubbling or really anything else. My only complaint is that Game mode sometimes randomly bugs out and doesn't work right but a quick reset fixes that.

Also I don't know how well they work on the Deck but Steam has the Sherlock Holmes series on sale and they're absolutely fantastic, well worth the low price they're charging if you like puzzle/mystery games.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/sherlock-holmes/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

UP AND ADAM posted:

Frankly the track pads should be off by default, if a game is able to be controlled by a controller alone, which is most games nowadays.

I refuse to play any shooter without the trackpads and won't even play shooters on controller unless it's the Steam Controller or Steam Deck at this point. I also wish Mouse Trackpad was the default for everything.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Which Goon is going to be King Goon and do this? https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wu044l/did_you_know_you_can_setup_a_nas_as_a_steam/

Also the default path for duckstation saves/memory cards moved, see https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wuxmex/duckstation_bad_update_all_save_data_was_erased/ilcivdy/ for info.

minusX fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 22, 2022

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Zurtilik posted:

I had some weird audio issues coming back from a game before. Wish I remember which one exactly.

For me Persona 4 will sometimes resume with an accelerated clock rate. Animations draw faster and all audio is played back at double speed. No idea if this happens with other games yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sigher posted:

I refuse to play any shooter without the trackpads and won't even play shooters on controller unless it's the Steam Controller or Steam Deck at this point. I also wish Mouse Trackpad was the default for everything.

That's a lot of words to say joystick with gyro on touch enabled is superior

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

XenoCrab posted:

Just got my email for the 256GB I pre-ordered on Oct 18th! (I don't know if it matters, but I'm in Canada.)

I wondered why I ordered that day and noticed it was the day Valve launched the Steam Deck verified site and was a couple weeks after Valve put out the "how to (not) take apart the Deck" video and Twitter videos of games running on the Deck, so I guess I just needed a little extra marketing to push me over the edge :v:.

I put my deposit down august 29 last year and got the email a week ago, so in the last 7 days they've moved through a month and a half's worth of preorders. Fedex says it should be here Wednesday (also in Canada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time to hang out with my good pal Norman Reedus

It’ll never happen but give me native game pass support, Microsoft. Or a decent workaround like Heroic Launcher.

I’m going to end up nodding the hard drive on this thing by next year, I just know it.