Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Mailer posted:

Believing in fishing for 4*s and believing in Keqing are both paths to sadness.

Fishing for 4s on support banners, is like tricking yourself into eating veggies by cooking them so that they taste good (it's possible). In retrospect the OG Koko banner with Beidou/Xingqiu/Rosa was the best thing to have happened for my account lol

Descar posted:

I managed to get 4 5*stars characters before getting one Heizou last time, so good luck.

That's rough, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Fischl is so much cooler in Honkai Impact, wtf
she got added as a collab character a while back, alongside the Andrius boss fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVjUsHoFJDY

Look at all the flair she has in that basic attack string!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone is cooler in honkai impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWPrS974HA

well all the launch characters are super stiff but

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

everyone is cooler in honkai impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWPrS974HA

well all the launch characters are super stiff but

Raiden Mei's default presentation past a certain point in the story just seems to be pure strain rule of cool. She always seems to be striking some sort of dramatic back to the camera pose or having dramatic lightning flashing in the background or getting a grimacing close up when slicing and dicing. She's also got a cool oni horns and crazy multi colored eye thing going on, but then all the Herscherr's seem to have hosed up god/demon eyes I guess.

Honkai and Genshin are almost on the polar opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of edginess and tone lately though. Most of the really bad Honkai style poo poo that seems to have happened in Tevat happened 500+ years ago and is largely told to the traveler via accounts from Archons and the like, but for the most part there's been one major present time crisis per nation that the traveler has visited and it's mostly resolved in a non-traumatic way for the main cast and things are better off in the long run by the end of it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mailer posted:

The single best part about Punchyfist McAnemoguy is his CA punting the little samachurl bastards off their towers.

Believing in fishing for 4*s and believing in Keqing are both paths to sadness.

What teams work for him by the way? I got him during the Itto banner and the build site in the OP doesn't even list him

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whats with the big floating city in the sky? The only story stuff I haven't finished is enkanomiya but I don't remember anyone in the game mentioning it at all.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Coolness Averted posted:

What teams work for him by the way? I got him during the Itto banner and the build site in the OP doesn't even list him

I've been going Heizou/Yelan/XQ/Flex (usually Kuki or Bennett) and that's worked pretty well so far :v:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Whats with the big floating city in the sky? The only story stuff I haven't finished is enkanomiya but I don't remember anyone in the game mentioning it at all.

That is Celestia, "the residence of the gods", supposedly where Vision-bearers who perform great heroic feats will ascend to and achieve godhood, although the only known people to have ascended have never been seen again so who knows. It is very much going to be a big thing eventually but for now is just kind of a 'yep, still up there' thing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mix. posted:

That is Celestia, "the residence of the gods", supposedly where Vision-bearers who perform great heroic feats will ascend to and achieve godhood

Also important detail: those vision-bearers who perform great heroic feats and ascend to godhood are called "genshin" in the CN and JP versions. (Venti explains it in his end-of-Act-1 loredump.) So Celestia & Genshin will proooobably be be pretty relevant to the long-term plot.

But the English TL dropped the ball hard and called them "Allogenes" instead of realizing that it was literally the name of the game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It's not too late to rename the game Allogene Impact in the west, is it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also important detail: those vision-bearers who perform great heroic feats and ascend to godhood are called "genshin" in the CN and JP versions. (Venti explains it in his end-of-Act-1 loredump.) So Celestia & Genshin will proooobably be be pretty relevant to the long-term plot.

But the English TL dropped the ball hard and called them "Allogenes" instead of realizing that it was literally the name of the game.

If they are smart they will realize they literally only did that in one quest a while ago and just quietly swap the name because the EN version missing the title drop is pretty stupid.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Venti explains it in his end-of-Act-1 loredump.

Hmm, my eyes must have glazed over when he talked about that. Thanks for the explanation everyone

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

More like Coolei

Cause she's cool

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Coolness Averted posted:

Pretty much anyone with constant offscreen elemental application, so your Fish/XQ/XL/Bei/Yelan/etc type characters. You can slot him into taser in place of Sucrose but Sucrose is better at it. It's kind of a shame because his animations look great and he juggles like a champ.

Edit: He's in the spreadsheet but it's not terribly original. Give him the beefiest Catalyst you have, VV, and the normal rolls you want for either damage or EM.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 22, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mailer posted:

Pretty much anyone with constant offscreen elemental application, so your Fish/XQ/XL/Bei/Yelan/etc type characters. You can slot him into taser in place of Sucrose but Sucrose is better at it. It's kind of a shame because his animations look great and he juggles like a champ.

I already have Sucrose and a ton of her constellations, so yeah if I built a taser squad, would probably use her over him at c0. A shame, other than my Itto team I keep getting a bunch of the same pieces or alternates instead of actual new gimmicks or a complete team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

If they are smart they will realize they literally only did that in one quest a while ago and just quietly swap the name because the EN version missing the title drop is pretty stupid.
they already changed way bigger stuff in the tl via patches. both kusanali and the previous dendro archon used to be referred to as male.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

原神 or Yuanshen as they call it in China translates more or less to "Original God" in English. Google Translate will tell you it means Genshin Impact now which is also kind of true, but that's it favoring a regional commercial branding over the literal translation if anything.

The English TL has been overall pretty decent, but sometimes they screw things up in consistency like the term "Heavenly Principles" sometimes being revered to by other labels as "the divine" or "destiny", when it refers to some very specific philosophical tenant of Gnosticism which is what a large chunk of Teyvats conventions are based around and pretty important to get across that it's all referring to the same core concept. They also originally had Kuki Shinobu's name translated as Kuki Ninja in some characters voice lines until it became apparent that it was a name Kanji and "忍" was meant to be Shinobu as a given name and not referring to a Ninja. Again both are technically correct but the added context changes how it ought to be translated.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gensin-impact/images/5/5f/Manga_C0_Celestia%27s_Central_Spire.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20210730105408

There is a brief glimpse inside of Celestia in Manga Chapter 0 btw.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kale posted:

原神 or Yuanshen as they call it in China translates more or less to "Original God" in English. Google Translate will tell you it means Genshin Impact now which is also kind of true, but that's it favoring a regional commercial branding over the literal translation if anything.

The English TL has been overall pretty decent, but sometimes they screw things up in consistency like the term "Heavenly Principles" sometimes being revered to by other labels as "the divine" or "destiny", when it refers to some very specific philosophical tenant of Gnosticism which is what a large chunk of Teyvats conventions are based around and pretty important to get across that it's all referring to the same core concept. They also originally had Kuki Shinobu's name translated as Kuki Ninja in some characters voice lines until it became apparent that it was a name Kanji and "忍" was meant to be Shinobu as a given name and not referring to a Ninja. Again both are technically correct but the added context changes how it ought to be translated.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gensin-impact/images/5/5f/Manga_C0_Celestia%27s_Central_Spire.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20210730105408

There is a brief glimpse inside of Celestia in Manga Chapter 0 btw.

"Genshin" is literally just the Japanese reading/pronunciation of 原神, same as e.g. "Nana" is the Japanese reading of "七七" aka Qiqi. (Side note: this is why if you enable Japanese voiceover a lot of the Liyue characters' names change -- their names are still the same characters but they're pronounced totally differently. English uses the Chinese reading for Liyue names like Qiqi but the Japanese reading for Inazuman characters like Ayaka)

In Japan the game is still called 原神 but they use the Japanese reading, and for English/Global they just named the game based off the Japanese pronunciation instead of the Chinese one because they know their customer base is mostly weebs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

I've been using Heizou/Raiden/Fischl/Kokomi (the Kokomi is mainly just because I wanted some sort of healer; this team could probably be altered by having Shinobu as the healer and Xingqiu/Yelan as the hydro).

It seems pretty good, though it's not clear how much damage I'm doing with Heizou's swirls (which is basically the reason I'm using him over any other random DPS). I have trouble distinguishing between the different sources of damage when I attack things. His regular attacks don't do much (his stats are pretty decent - 1957 attack, 50% crit, 120% cdmg - but he still only hits for like 1500-3000) and his fully-charged skill hits for ~30,000. He evaporates any weaker enemies, but the same is true for pretty much any other DPS option I have.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

frajaq posted:

do NOT look at twitter comments about Candace, beware!!!

Endorph posted:

a bunch of 13 year olds making a fair complaint in the most annoying way possible is hardly the worst thing happening on twitter

Well this sounds like it's more substantial than the nothing about the 'Eula's a slave owner' arguments from a year and a half again

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Good news, in a taser team you don't have to distinguish squat. Sucrose taser (original variation) was my favorite team for a long time and at no point did I ever know the source of any of the numbers.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just got C6 Fischl from the standard banner after hitting AR60 and even then I prefer Yae in the Heizou/XQ/Yelan group. Fischl's skill cooldown is far too long and Yae does way more aoe damage anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stare-Out posted:

I just got C6 Fischl from the standard banner after hitting AR60 and even then I prefer Yae in the Heizou/XQ/Yelan group. Fischl's skill cooldown is far too long and Yae does way more aoe damage anyway.
Pls just build 40 ER on fischl/give her fading twilight. She is so so good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nah, Yae is more fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
fischl and yae are the same person in two different hats

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

I've been using Heizou/Raiden/Fischl/Kokomi (the Kokomi is mainly just because I wanted some sort of healer; this team could probably be altered by having Shinobu as the healer and Xingqiu/Yelan as the hydro).

It seems pretty good, though it's not clear how much damage I'm doing with Heizou's swirls (which is basically the reason I'm using him over any other random DPS). I have trouble distinguishing between the different sources of damage when I attack things. His regular attacks don't do much (his stats are pretty decent - 1957 attack, 50% crit, 120% cdmg - but he still only hits for like 1500-3000) and his fully-charged skill hits for ~30,000. He evaporates any weaker enemies, but the same is true for pretty much any other DPS option I have.

Since Heizou isn't a better taser than Sucrose, once I cycle him out of my daily/friendship team (currently running with Yelan, Aloy and Kuki) I'll have fun with him in team Big Punch Man, where the only goal is to do big punchin'. I checked this with a team of Mona, Benny and ZL. Punchin' for over 120K is cool. Is there a better comp for landing that one big punch?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
"Insubordination!" never gets old.

Then again neither does "La-la-la".

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Ugh I might sit this banner out with two characters I have c6 already. The odds of getting the new 4* are pretty dismal, plus a banner 5* I'm not entirely sure I want either. If I roll on this banner I can expect lots of duplicates and regret.

Diona and Fischl are notably excellent and if you don't have them c6 you should go for it.

Stare-Out posted:

Fischl's burst creates a new Oz, refreshing the duration. When you hear Oz dissipate, pop Fischl's burst. Her skill uptime should be 100%

Kale
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Well this sounds like it's more substantial than the nothing about the 'Eula's a slave owner' arguments from a year and a half again

Yeah but then she danced and sneezed and acted generally tsundere pouty about stuff, and it turns out she may not own much of anything let alone slaves and is probably one of the most popular characters from Mondstadt nowadays. I believe I remember hearing that the Eula commemorative plates for that Pizza Hut collaboration in China outnumbered the Amber ones by about 4 to 1. This is something observable with Candace's design, but like I don't know, it's possible that people from the desert area of Sumeru just look like that. She's also apparently supposed to be a princess according to that lore flavor text and there's certain imagery that goes along with that in anime stuff and her skin tone is pretty consistent with Cyno's as well.

IMO there's a lot of confirmation bias and conspiracy theorizing going on with some of this 4 star vs 5 star thing as well that doesn't really add much validity to any sort of argument to be made there. Like people are putting their preferences onto designs and basically saying this should be 5* or that should be 4* and you could certainly make your own arguments as to why you personally feel that way, but there's nothing binding on what the company decides to do with their gacha bullshit rarities and personally I'm more concerned with things like lore and the things actually happening in the game with the characters versus in ones own head and the arbitrary gacha stuff anyway. Which sort of reminds me if I'm going to try for any 4* stuff on this current banner like some Yun Jin constellations I better go for it tonight as I haven't done literally anything with this current banner. In fact I don't even think I've looked at the wish tab since it was still Kazuha in July.

e: Speaking of character design, it was only through this trailer somehow that I realized that Collei has the classic Mihoyo backless outfit because of course she does. Like nothing about her forest tunic outfit thing on her splash art would have ever indicated that there's no back to it. :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 22, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Can't wait to blow all my free rolls getting another Keque and finishing up my Thoma constellation instead of getting te Zhongli I want.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/haragaita_i/status/1561292161991462914

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Kinda wish we could pre-load the update on consoles, but looking forward to ignoring all the combat changes and just continuing to murder my way through the Sumeru contryside with Ganyu/Noelle/Kokomi/Raiden

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Got about 50 wishes saved up, gonna pull for zhongli and if I get collei or diona/fischl constellations then thats ok too I guess

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Doing these limited time events on the last night is great when there is a bridge puzzle that apparently doesn't even work properly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

x1o posted:

Kinda wish we could pre-load the update on consoles, but looking forward to ignoring all the combat changes and just continuing to murder my way through the Sumeru contryside with Ganyu/Noelle/Kokomi/Raiden

Given you need to make it through the storyline *and* make it through the event (which probably unlocks over a week) the only people playing dendro for a while are going to be gem spenders anyway. Dendro Amber is going to be a hot character for a few weeks even if she's, you know, Dendro Amber. :v:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BabyRyoga posted:

Doing these limited time events on the last night is great when there is a bridge puzzle that apparently doesn't even work properly.

Yeah one of the first lenses in fischl's keep is a pain in the rear end, I redid it recently on the second account and it's by far the most exacting about positioning and it doesn't even really look that right through the lens. It's possible to do, it just sucks. The main thing is when the circle appears but is only just close then you can line up the x and y to center it as much as possible (just a couple of key taps) and zoom just in or out a tiny bit. Mousehweel being able to zoom on the pc helped a lot, I don't even remember if it worked the first time I did the event.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rexxed posted:

Yeah one of the first lenses in fischl's keep is a pain in the rear end, I redid it recently on the second account and it's by far the most exacting about positioning and it doesn't even really look that right through the lens. It's possible to do, it just sucks. The main thing is when the circle appears but is only just close then you can line up the x and y to center it as much as possible (just a couple of key taps) and zoom just in or out a tiny bit. Mousehweel being able to zoom on the pc helped a lot, I don't even remember if it worked the first time I did the event.

It worked but there's one bridge I remember having to waste a ton of time on because the official solution seemed to be off, like the spot where the actual view was flush wasn't the solution, and you had to just play with the 'almost got it' lense flair flashes instead of looking at the actual image and how it lined up.
Luckily the later parts of that puzzle realm are much better 'position this so it looks like it's connects behind something in the foreground'

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
God drat, there are a lot of extra chests and quests after the event story. Some of them are pretty convoluted, no way am I finishing them. I guess I'm gonna miss some significant rewards for the first time ever. Best focus on the unique rewards like furniture I'll never use.

Edit: do I really need to watch a 5 act play?

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 23, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

gandlethorpe posted:

God drat, there are a lot of extra chests and quests after the event story. Some of them are pretty convoluted, no way am I finishing them. I guess I'm gonna miss some significant rewards for the first time ever. Best focus on the unique rewards like furniture I'll never use.

well technically you could ignore the play and just use the wiki to pick the right actors
but you can't speed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gandlethorpe posted:

Each play gives a precious chest and the last one gives you a special piece of furniture (that won't ever be sold in the teapot because of what it is). Definitely use a guide for Mona's domain and island. Xinyan's domain has a 50 primo luxurious chest. Kazuha's island is super long and I don't think any of the chests are that good, xinyan's island best reward is a triple precious chest you can probably look up somewhere.