Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It’s extremely fitting for the scandipol thread, that the elected idiot king is the “definitely not racist, just extremely focused on all the totally factual, very serious; problems related to immigration and immigrant-caused crime.”.

(I thought there was nominations, not a vote)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I want full communism now

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
there was a single joke nomination of the worst posters in the thread

https://www.nrk.no/norge/borten-moe-svarer-pa-kabelkritikken___-prover-ikke-a-fraskrive-meg-ansvar-1.16075684

One can't push the consequences onto one's neighbour, but one can definitely blame them...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 22, 2022

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It’s extremely fitting for the scandipol thread, that the elected idiot king is the “definitely not racist, just extremely focused on all the totally factual, very serious; problems related to immigration and immigrant-caused crime.”.
welcome to dnd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Cardiac posted:

Eh, take a look at SCBs statistics and you will see that 2016 was just the tip and immigration was still high during the following years with a rate that is twice that of the early 2000. The current level is roughly where it was during the Yugoslavian war in the 90s.
You claimed we have unprecedented immigration. We don't. That was in 2016 as a result of the record number of asylum seekers in 2015.
What we actually have at an unprecedented scale, right now and getting worse, are vast numbers of globally displaced persons and refugees. Our current immigration levels are on par with those in the early 2000's despite the catastrophic state of the world — I'd say that reflects a fairly conservative (and quite frankly cold-hearted) immigration policy.

quote:

And based on BRÅ, addition of a young foreign born male population means crime goes up.
I can't find this BRÅ maths book for racist toddlers. Kindly source it.

quote:

As for deadly violence, you can hide a lot with averages, which is obvious for anyone that knows statistics.
I imagine your home is entirely window-less by now which must be a blessing in this weather.

quote:

Deadly violence of certain kinds have decreased due to better medication and better social norms. But shootings are up and affecting others, just as seen last week. And it is clearly related to immigration given who shoots. (But fed by the drug liberalisation of the middle class due to marijuana and other drugs)
Deadly violence has indeed steadily decreased while shootings, including fatal shootings, have increased. Not sure what you think is being hidden in the statistics.
Sweden tops the list of fatal shootings in Europe. But it's mostly isolated to intra- and intergang violence — young men in gangs are shooting other young men in gangs. It's hosed up and it's horrible. But as far as I know no-one's adequately mapped the factors that make the gang violence in Sweden more deadly than in the rest of Europe.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, well, you can just start a new one and we can all come post in that one instead? There are like, five scandiposters total.

Make it outside of d&d though.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I unironically (or possibly, as spell check suggest, ultrasonically) admire Cardiac's ability to ignore the constant baiting ITT and instead just post political takes that I disagree with

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 22, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Make it outside of d&d though.

C-SPAM and use this tag

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

Well, part of it is fair enough. And while I understand Stockholm have an issue with Svenonius (I have seen the polls), that is hardly a national issue, but a regional one.
As for schools, while the current financing scheme is bonkers, private schools are not going away as long as immigration/integration remains unsolved.

Are you being dense on purpose or have you just been living under a rock since the last election? The big political hot potato with private schools isn't the fact that they exist, it's the financing model and the perverse incentives. Last time I checked the polls, there was a 2/3rds majority against vinster i välfärden, and it was trending upwards, even among right-wing voters.

The idea that private schools are popular because of immigration is also some galaxy brain poo poo. They quite literally offer better grades for less effort compared to regular schools. Of course they're popular. This whole right-wing schtick of coming up with very obviously dysfunctional incentives and then pretending to be completely oblivious to their effects is extremely tedious.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 22, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teen witch posted:

(I thought there was nominations, not a vote)

You were tied for nominations with with Cardiac, yes, alongside with like 5 more people, in a truly Scandinavian fashion.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Their political views are not on trial for being eligible as an IK.

thotsky posted:

there was a single joke nomination of the worst posters in the thread

That you see without access to my or Koos's PMs, or the mod forum.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 22, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You were tied for nominations with with Cardiac, yes, alongside 5 more people, in a truly Scandinavian fashion.

That you see without access to my or Koos's PMs, or the mod forum.

Cardiac is often both factually incorrect and severely outnumbered in the thread, but I’ll give credit for not putting said bad takes forwards in an uncivil manner or shitposting.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You were tied for nominations with with Cardiac, yes, alongside 5 more people, in a truly Scandinavian fashion.

I know one vote was a joke (as he told me), but please tell me there wasn’t more than one

Man maybe democracy was a mistake

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You misunderstand. I'm not prosecuting anyone or complaning or anything. It's just like the very essence of denmark manifested itself as thread configuration.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Cardiac is often both factually incorrect and severely outnumbered in the thread, but I’ll give credit for not putting said bad takes forwards in an uncivil manner or shitposting.

If you keep seeing them being factually incorrect, i.e., breaking rules I.A.2 through .6 or rule II.B, all you have to do from now on is to report their posts with a sufficiently detailed explanation for the 2 mods who aren't Scandianvians, but have lived there, to be able to evaluate the posts in question. It will not take dozens of convincing reports to get a discussion going in the mod forum about this.

As for being outnumbered, that's not something that we look at. If anything, frequently being outnumbered without melting down, as they do not indeed, reflects brightly on their level-headedness.

teen witch posted:

I know one vote was a joke (as he told me), but please tell me there wasn’t more than one

Man maybe democracy was a mistake

You had an admin nominate you, alongside telling me, paraphrasing, that you'd cut my balls off if I were to extend the offer to you. In unspecified circumstances later on, you mysteriously lost half a point when it came to the tie-breaker.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 22, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I agree that Cardiac is very good at not getting overtly mad at people on the internet, and that is admittedly a quality I often wish I had more of myself. The problem is though that I suspect he accomplishes this mainly by being oblivious. I'm also not sure if having an IK that most of the thread loves to dunk on is actually a net positive for the quality of the debate.

for the record I submitted no nominations. being made IK of a D&D thread is cruel and unusual punishment. also, where is the scandinavian transparency? we should at least get to see who the nominees were, they oughta know people's got it out for them

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 22, 2022

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you keep seeing them being factually incorrect, i.e., breaking rules I.A.2 through .6 or rule II.B, all you have to do from now on is to report their posts with a sufficiently detailed explanation for the 2 mods

Do we seriously have not one, not two, but seven forum rules against being wrong?

:psyduck:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TheFluff posted:

we should at least get to see who the nominees were, they oughta know people's got it out for them

Seconded, I want names and addresses.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Potrzebie posted:

Do we seriously have not one, not two, but seven forum rules against being wrong?

:psyduck:
It’s not illegal to be wrong in D&D, as there are only 3 rules - 1) avoid impeding the discussions, 2) focus on adding to the discussions, and 3) be mindful of the general SA rules. The finer subdivisions are spelt out merely for everyone’s convenience.

Regional threads, including this one, are cut some slack, but I think it won’t hurt for you to give the D&D rules thread a read, if my post has surprised you.

TheFluff posted:

I agree that Cardiac is very good at not getting overtly mad at people on the internet, and that is admittedly a quality I often wish I had more of myself. The problem is though that I suspect he accomplishes this mainly by being oblivious. I'm also not sure if having an IK that most of the thread loves to dunk on is actually a net positive for the quality of the debate.
Dunking is a broad term. Having differences in opinion is perfectly fine, and I think we’d not necessarily do healthier, from diversity perspective, by having a crowd favourite IK - neither of which received a decisive majority of nominations in any case. So, perhaps, there’s an allegory in this all with Scandinavian politics as seen in real life.

On that note, you may find dunks such as blatantly declaring Cardiac to be oblivious unsustainable in the long run, but I’ll leave those decisions to them.

TheFluff posted:

for the record I submitted no nominations. being made IK of a D&D thread is cruel and unusual punishment. also, where is the scandinavian transparency? we should at least get to see who the nominees were, they oughta know people's got it out for them
The internal thread is in admin archive that I cannot read, so you’ll have to get by with my attempt to remember posters leading with an equal number of nominations: Cardiac, A Buttery Pastry, evil_bunnY, lilljonas, teen witch, His Divine Shadow, McCloud, and a certain TheFluff. The tiebreaker process was not particularly elaborate - teen witch lost it due to OSHA guidance, and Cardiac won it mainly due to being the only candidate with no mod/admin nominations to their name, but also for coinciding with being the most active poster out of the pack.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 22, 2022

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I don't post that much anymore but I'm don't think Cardiac is necessarily a bad choice just because he doesn't agree with the thread. It's not like he has extreme takes compared to the Swedish political discourse in general.

teen witch posted:

Seconded, I want names and addresses.

Måddsen måste lämna ut det enligt offentlighetsprincipen!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's a better farce than expected if a bunch of mods are gonna get dragged in here every time Cardiac says or implies something racist.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think it won’t hurt for you to give the D&D rules thread a read, if my post has surprised you.

I prefer to live in the danger zone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thotsky posted:

It's a better farce than expected if a bunch of mods are gonna get dragged in here every time Cardiac says or implies something racist.

Bigoted statements are explicitly not against the rules of D&D in themselves. Unlike insinuating that someone is a racist - especially if they’re not doing a :godwin: at full speed.

If you do come across a post that you believe is mainly meant to lodge a disparaging belief, the expectation is that you’ll report it, and only address the post on substance, if you deign to engage with it. Simply calling someone names, regardless of merit of the claim, is explicitly against the D&D rules.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ehhh so long as cardiac doesn't probate people for making fun of him blaming immigrants for swedish free school policy i don't see the big problem. for those wondering, this is pure liberal think tank policy - it has *something* to do with white flight etc., but the policy was not motivated by people demanding not to go to school with dark people, it was pushed by people who saw a state education monopoly as unacceptably totalitarian

the right to freely establish schools remains incredibly poorly thought through and/or evil, however. it is possibly the single most damaging policy that the think-tank set have yet managed to devise, in that it produces a society more segregated by class than scandinavia's seen since probably the actual war, and makes trying to implement any kind of integratory policy (be that ethnic or class-wise) through the school system impossible. it also means that the state has very little control over what kids actually do or do not learn, which is going to either necessitate a big and very unflexible bureaucracy or will simply erode swedish educational standards as all non-awful schools are fee-paying schools which compete on giving good grades for minimal effort. eventually you'll get your british-style psychopath factories for the rich, US-style ghetto schools for the working class and idiot diploma mills for whatever remains of the middle classes. it's a stupendously bad policy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bigoted statements are explicitly not against the rules of D&D in themselves. Unlike insinuating that someone is a racist - especially if they’re not doing a :godwin: at full speed.

If you do come across a post that you believe is mainly meant to lodge a disparaging belief, the expectation is that you’ll report it, and only address the post on substance, if you deign to engage with it. Simply calling someone names, regardless of merit of the claim, is explicitly against the D&D rules.

We have dealt with his posting for years and don't need your help in that regard, it's just funny considering the stated intent for finding an IK.

V. Illych L. posted:

it has *something* to do with white flight etc., but the policy was not motivated by people demanding not to go to school with dark people, it was pushed by people who saw a state education monopoly as unacceptably totalitarian

Often that is the underlying motivation though. Or "poor people" which usually amounts to the same thing. Sometimes “less gifted/motivated people" which takes a little longer to get there.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 23, 2022

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

thotsky posted:

We have dealt with his posting for years and don't need your help in that regard, it's just funny considering the stated intent for finding an IK.

I'm sure more cops are the answer, regardless of the question.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The internal thread is in admin archive that I cannot read, so you’ll have to get by with my attempt to remember posters leading with an equal number of nominations: Cardiac, A Buttery Pastry, evil_bunnY, lilljonas, teen witch, His Divine Shadow, McCloud, and a certain TheFluff. The tiebreaker process was not particularly elaborate - teen witch lost it due to OSHA guidance, and Cardiac won it mainly due to being the only candidate with no mod/admin nominations to their name, but also for coinciding with being the most active poster out of the pack.

:whitewater:

I do not want it nor do I think I'd be a good choice, for the record

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Dunking is a broad term. Having differences in opinion is perfectly fine, and I think we’d not necessarily do healthier, from diversity perspective, by having a crowd favourite IK - neither of which received a decisive majority of nominations in any case. So, perhaps, there’s an allegory in this all with Scandinavian politics as seen in real life.

On that note, you may find dunks such as blatantly declaring Cardiac to be oblivious unsustainable in the long run, but I’ll leave those decisions to them.
there are a lot of parallels to scandinavian politics, yes

I absolutely have a bad habit of being abrasive and obnoxious ITT and it's not that I think getting probed for namecalling like that would be undeserved, but I've put a bit too much effort into explaining basic facts to cardiac over the years to have much patience anymore. I mean, getting to debunk an unironic Laffer curve argument and having the maths that showed it was factually nonsense called out as bad because of their publication in a paper that also "published S lies" or something to that effect was sort of memorable, but not really in a good way? I don't think Cardiac actually debates in bad faith, at least not intentionally, but he has a very tedious habit of finding some incredibly stupid right wing talking point and tossing it straight in here uncritically. If he was a bit more sophisticated about it I'd probably suspect he was trolling.

enough about forum grudges, I'm sure there are plenty of people who find me insufferable. cardiac as an ik can't be worse than having ligur around

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 23, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

thotsky posted:

Often it is that though. Or "poor people" which usually amounts to the same thing. Sometimes “less gifted\
/motivated people" which takes a little longer to get there.

no i mean it's literally "education policy is communism"-level of ideology. this comes back to the concerted assault on swedish social democracy by neoliberal think tanks as recounted in, among other texts, korstoget mot velferdsstaten - educational policy was a place it was possible to make big changes (in part no doubt because of racism) but the central point was to marketise sweden as part of a broader strategy of enforcing TINA by eliminating what was perceived as the most damaging alternative

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I actually considered falling on the sword and taking up the crown (There must always be an Idiot King) but I'm terrified of responsibility so I feel I dodged a bullet there.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

V. Illych L. posted:

no i mean it's literally "education policy is communism"-level of ideology. this comes back to the concerted assault on swedish social democracy by neoliberal think tanks as recounted in, among other texts, korstoget mot velferdsstaten - educational policy was a place it was possible to make big changes (in part no doubt because of racism) but the central point was to marketise sweden as part of a broader strategy of enforcing TINA by eliminating what was perceived as the most damaging alternative

Liberal anti-totaliarianism can never be taken at face value because it rarely goes further than mere fetishistic obsession to distract from the inherent totalitarian nature of liberalism, and because the freedom they seek for themselves usually comes at the expense of others.

A free market argument makes more sense, but that is different from your initial one.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

thotsky posted:

Liberal anti-totaliarianism can never be taken at face value because it rarely goes further than mere fetishistic obsession to distract from the inherent totalitarian nature of liberalism, and because the freedom they seek for themselves usually comes at the expense of others.

A free market argument makes more sense, but that is different from your initial one.

i agree that i may have been a little facetious about taking the most extreme rhetoric coming from these people as representative of the entire tendency. i think it's funny and informative. actual arguments about totalitarianism in contemporary swedish politics make very little sense, to the point where i thought that it was obvious.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thotsky posted:

I don’t believe I’ve spoken of the intent for finding an IK per se, just the requirements for one. On which you have the right of it that one can be considered at least a partial miss, but palatability gets a rather low weight for posters with measured style. I’d rather not test this assumption, of course, but I’m sure the thread will manage just fine.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It seems extremely on point and topical that the Ligur of Scandipol was made idiot king, and I applaud that decision. Just watching the swedes hash it out amongst themselves is magical :allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

V. Illych L. posted:

ehhh so long as cardiac doesn't probate people for making fun of him blaming immigrants for swedish free school policy i don't see the big problem. for those wondering, this is pure liberal think tank policy - it has *something* to do with white flight etc., but the policy was not motivated by people demanding not to go to school with dark people, it was pushed by people who saw a state education monopoly as unacceptably totalitarian

the right to freely establish schools remains incredibly poorly thought through and/or evil, however. it is possibly the single most damaging policy that the think-tank set have yet managed to devise, in that it produces a society more segregated by class than scandinavia's seen since probably the actual war, and makes trying to implement any kind of integratory policy (be that ethnic or class-wise) through the school system impossible. it also means that the state has very little control over what kids actually do or do not learn, which is going to either necessitate a big and very unflexible bureaucracy or will simply erode swedish educational standards as all non-awful schools are fee-paying schools which compete on giving good grades for minimal effort. eventually you'll get your british-style psychopath factories for the rich, US-style ghetto schools for the working class and idiot diploma mills for whatever remains of the middle classes. it's a stupendously bad policy.

Förbjud friskolor och ta bort det fria skolvalet.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Förbjud friskolor och ta bort det fria skolvalet.

Also make it so that kids from utsatta områden are bussed to other non local schools too or the housing segregation will be even more enforced. Right now most parents in these areas that care about their kid's schooling, and have the means to handle the extra logistics but not to move, ship their kids off to some private school in the city center. Because the other option is a school where the rowdy kids gently caress it up for everyone else and where a focus on basic language in the first years is basically a waste for native speaking kids.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

the Ligur of Scandipol

Oh come on

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Still waiting on my red start btw.

Beeswax posted:

Oh come on
Yeah, isn't Ligur the Ligur of Scandipol?

Revelation 2-13 posted:

You misunderstand. I'm not prosecuting anyone or complaning or anything. It's just like the very essence of denmark manifested itself as thread configuration.
Typical Swedish attitude, blaming Denmark for their own problems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still waiting on my red start btw.

I meant to say there that no mods or admins nominated Cardiac, making them the people’s candidate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I meant to say there that no mods or admins nominated Cardiac, making them the people’s candidate.
I see. This is very unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
It is strange to have S carrying SD's flag.

https://www.dn.se/sverige/andersson-kraver-farre-lasningar-fran-de-andra-partierna-lattare-att-bilda-regering-efter-valet/