Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frrtbkr
Apr 25, 2004

aventari posted:

Oof 924/944 clutches *suck*. I've been racing Spec944 for the past 2 years ask me how I know.

I was super happy to see your car in the Lemons social photos.

Before this last race we all agreed never to take on such a big job trackside again. Had to borrow triple square bits for the axles, and we didn't even begin to know how to remove the clutch fork pin until another 944/914 team came over and showed us how to tackle the job with an improvised tool. I wish there was more spec944 in the north east, not that this car would be competitive in it's current state but I think it would give us something to aim for. Might end up renting a seat in Champcar with another team member's much better outfitted 944-16v next year?? We'll see how the next race goes at NHMS I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Had a good time at Thunderhill despite the heat, fantastic track and great coaching. No action pics, photographer didn't want to show for a 105 degree day. There's a glimpse of my car in the dashcam upload from a Miata spin but I'm not going to share someone else's oops.

Car did great, I now know what off-camber feels like and how to manage it. I even got some throttle controllable oversteer on Turn 2, which feels like a private joke between a Mazda AWD engineer and me, the only person to take one of these to a track.

Chunked the terrible OEM tires, which gives me a good excuse to eventually get the Costco Michelin PS4 tires I already wanted. Only damage is a spot of peeling fake leather on the wheel from my sweaty death grip, but Mazda can warranty that as punishment for stiffing me on the factory tow eyes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
If you sweat that much in general in track days I recommend gloves. I’m a sweaty person and not only does it keep my steering wheel from getting worse it helps me keep a grip on it.

I’ve definitely never seen your car on a track before, it’s cool!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

norton I posted:

Had a good time at Thunderhill despite the heat, fantastic track and great coaching. No action pics, photographer didn't want to show for a 105 degree day. There's a glimpse of my car in the dashcam upload from a Miata spin but I'm not going to share someone else's oops.

Car did great, I now know what off-camber feels like and how to manage it. I even got some throttle controllable oversteer on Turn 2, which feels like a private joke between a Mazda AWD engineer and me, the only person to take one of these to a track.

Chunked the terrible OEM tires, which gives me a good excuse to eventually get the Costco Michelin PS4 tires I already wanted. Only damage is a spot of peeling fake leather on the wheel from my sweaty death grip, but Mazda can warranty that as punishment for stiffing me on the factory tow eyes.

I love Mazda's low-key but very solid commitment to sportiness. And yeah, just get some decent racing gloves, they help a lot after you get used to wearing them.

I'll be doing T-Hill East on Sunday (with the loving bypass though). I can't wait to get an apples to apples comparison between the Volkzda and the Miata it used to be.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Bypass is the best, and much better than the cyclone. The feeling of 50/50 if you're going to die as you shoot over the crest is kinda fun once you get used to it. The cyclone is a dumb corkscrew knockoff that kills the flow of the track.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Bypass is the best, and much better than the cyclone. The feeling of 50/50 if you're going to die as you shoot over the crest is kinda fun once you get used to it. The cyclone is a dumb corkscrew knockoff that kills the flow of the track.

Cyclone is cool once you find the turn in point. Turn 9 over the hill is terrifying the first few times, you’re expected to carry some speed there and you can’t see anything.

One of the organizers put an extra tall traffic cone on the other side, helped a lot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Counterpoint:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Your take is bad and you should feel bad. Cyclone forever!

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Joe Mama posted:

Your take is bad and you should feel bad. Cyclone forever!

+1. Done some Lemons races at T-hill and Cyclone is my favorite turn.

I sprung for a set of dedicated track pads (Hawk DTC-60) and rotors for the Focus RS after 2 weekends on Hawk HPS 5.0s (now at like 20% pad life). Next HPDE is Virginia International Raceway in September, anyone else going to be there by chance?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Finally the first test day for the K24 BRZ. Paying out the nose to run a day at Attessa / Podium Club, new private track about an hour south of Phoenix. Also RIP to my nice Featherlite aluminum 14ft trailer, the BRZ hung off the back so I sold it and bought a cheap 18ft for now.

God, I hope it doesn't break 30 minutes in or something.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Good luck! Post vids.

Went to pick up the truck and trailer for the factory 5 toady and trucks dead. Should be fixable but not in time for tomorrow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Good luck! Post vids.

Went to pick up the truck and trailer for the factory 5 toady and trucks dead. Should be fixable but not in time for tomorrow.

Ugh, I feel your pain there. I hate having to store the truck and trailer at a lot, do the shuffle dance, etc.

new swap, new track, and haven't tracked in 7 months. Should be a shitshow :lol:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

225/45R17

big emphasis on the "225"

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Me vs the tires I tell my wheel bearings not to worry about.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Test day went super well, there were only 4 other cars at the track... three of them being a BRZ or GR86. Downside is that this track is brand new so I (along with everyone else) was absolutely lost.

Car felt fuckin great, only ran into a few problems:
1. Oil was blowing straight through the can. I ASSUMED Vibrant had baffling in the can since it calls it baffled on their website: https://vibrantperformance.com/universal-baffled-catch-can-assemblies-v1141/

Ya, ok, no. Of course they sell one for $100
https://vibrantperformance.com/drop-in-baffle-assembly-for-catch-cans-12699

2. The transmission output seal leaks even though it is a new OEM one
3. I let my friend drive the car and he managed to put enough pressure on the throttle pedal to put it past 100% calibration, which faults the DBW until the car is restarted. Easy fix.
4. AIM was all hosed up
5. I need to adjust the DBW to TB opening to soften up the initial opening, it can be real edgy

I call it a success for an untested swap at a new track. lovely driving was done, I felt lost so it'll be nice to get it out to a track that I am familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdsGDEF0mzQ

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 29, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Congrats! I like the save in the middle.
Vtec brz.... hmmmm.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Sunday Funday at good old Thunderhill East with the Volkzda went great even for not driving the full east course in like 6 years. I went back to the Flyin' Miata sway bars and it's much better but I still have tweaking to do. The Hawk ER-1 pads are pretty drat good but seemed to have an annoying tendency to increase grip as they heated up in the middle of long braking zones. It felt weird and didn't inspire the greatest confidence. IDK maybe it's just my setup of heavy car/tiny brakes.

Now for the real news. Randy loving Pobst was there, with his sick rear end '77 Firebird! I didn't get to see it run on track though. He spent most of his time riding shotgun with someone and constantly having conversations with random people. And... senpai noticed me!! I was packing up the car at the end of the day and he came walking over and was like, "I saw you had the hood (now trunk lid) open and wanted to see what you had done to this thing... uhh wait a minute... (looks inside)... waaaiiittt a minute... is this a Miata underneath" and I'm like, "Yep, (blah blah blah)", "Oh wow man that's cooool!". He asks if he can take a quick video and then does, asks me my name, says some stuff about the car, and thanks me and leaves. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet but I'll have to put a link in the Volkzda thread if it isn't dead yet. Did I get a selfie or with him? Of course not because I'm an idiot (or just exhausted, dehydrated, and starstruck).

I should also add that a motorcyclist running on the west track got hurt bad enough that they called in a helicopter. Crazy. T's and P's man. That's why they call 'em "organ donors".

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 30, 2022

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Joe Mama posted:

Randy loving Pobst

That’s awesome!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

One of the instructors for NASA Great Lakes started racing cars because he's in a wheelchair from racing motorcycles. Those guys are loving nuts.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Joe Mama posted:

Randy loving Pobst was there, and... senpai noticed me!!

https://instagram.com/stories/randypobst/2917710804041082243?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I love reading all of the reports. Randy is def a great guy, he's alwyas hanging around the Lucky Dog races.

For me I'm getting the Spec944 ready for NASA Nationals at Laguna Seca in a few weeks. It's going to be live broadcast with real announcers so that should be fun.

I just have to install the new ECU and air flow meter and "tune" the AFRs.

KillHour posted:

One of the instructors for NASA Great Lakes started racing cars because he's in a wheelchair from racing motorcycles. Those guys are loving nuts.

Yeah I daily a CBR1000rr on the street and I'll do motorcycle trackdays but every time I think about actually racing bikes I feel like it's probably a death sentence for my health and welfare.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yell in this thread when it's about to kick off. I got lucky and saw the scca runoffs on motortrend last year and it was cool to watch.

What's it broadcasting on?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
It was on youtube, sorry I didn't get a link in time to post.

Ended up getting 2nd!

It was a crazy race, lots of drama with guys from Colorado bringing CHEATUR motors, my car cutting out during the qualifying race, and then unexpected heavy rain during the main race. Everyone on dry slicks made it very interesting

I qualified 5th, got up to 3rd in the qualifying race on Saturday, and then got 2nd in the Sunday main.
Was leading the race for 3 or 4 laps, then got cocky trying to do some cool drifts out of turn 11 and got passed :-/

I posted my on-board vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13wxHn442o

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Awesome, congrats

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Time got away from me and I just realized my HPDE event is in two weeks and I haven't ordered the replacement pads yet. There was a ton of chatter generated by my questions and I don't think we settled on an answer. If I'm driving a stock 19 ecoboost mustang and want to be able to swap out my pads without having to swap out the rotors, what's a good pad to use as a newbie?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

want to be able to swap out my pads without having to swap out the rotors,

Swap out your rotors

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ideally swap your rotors. Cheap but decent is fine, they don't have to be drilled or slotted or anything. I think centric from rockauto is very popular.

Iirc the thread consensus on pads is everyone outgrew stuff like the hp+ very fast.

If you're gonna do it anyway scuff the hell out of them with sandpaper between pad swaps. This will probably be more work to be effective than a rotor swap.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Alright so if the HP+ is probably insufficient which set should I go for instead?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wouldn't bother swapping rotors, just street driving track pads a bit will clean the rotors off, especially a Hawk. Carbotech/GLoc are another story.

If you have two weeks then Hawk is probably about all you're going to find, so DTC60.

edit: Alternatives: Raybestos ST43, Carbotech XP10 or XP12, GLoc R10 or R12

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 27, 2022

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you have a spare set of wheels for your Mustang yet? If so, grab DTC60s set and forget.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

No I'm still on my stock wheels though I have upgraded the tires. I wasn't able to find any DTC-60s for the rear brakes so I'm going to be running DTC-60s in the front, DTC-30s in the rear

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That should work. Do fresh fluid too of it hasn't been bled in the last couple months.

As soon as you get home scrub the dust off the wheels. Dtc-60s dust will gently caress them if allowed to stay on and get wet then dry. Very rusty. Like take the wheels off full clean.

It'll be awesome though, having faith in your brakes to go deep is amazing.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Speaking of brake dust, I just did three track days spread over four weeks with what's left of the Hawk ER-1s without cleaning my wheels during that time. They were caked as gently caress but came clean with regular car soap and a brush and, lo and behold, the wheels are fine! I was actually surprised, by the wheels and my laziness.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

How do you like the Hawk ER1s? I've been using Raybestos ST43's for many years in my endurance cars and they've been amazing. They last 2-3 16-hour events and never fail. They are kida pricey though.

Wondering how ER1 stacks up

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

aventari posted:

How do you like the Hawk ER1s? I've been using Raybestos ST43's for many years in my endurance cars and they've been amazing. They last 2-3 16-hour events and never fail. They are kida pricey though.

I raised an eye at this until I googled them, now I'm curious too.

Also, nice work at nats :)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

aventari posted:

You would be much better than I at comparing them apples to apples with other legit endurance pads. I have only ever done HPDEs. I got them because Hawk bills them as an endurance/HPDE pad that are superior because they waved crystals over them or some poo poo. I won't be buying them again because the initial bite isn't aggressive enough for me and their longevity was actually a bit less than the Blues I had before. I was looking for a 'newer, better Blue' basically and these aren't it. All that being said, they seem like they'd be a good endurance pad and their street manors are actually pretty good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just ordered 4 quarts of brake fluid and a vacuum bleeder so I don't have to beg my GF to help. Went with the Motul 600 instead of the 660 because gently caress that poo poo got expensive.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I just ordered 8 bottles of RBF600 today. Getting them in that quantity was the only way to get it down to $15 a bottle..

Also if you want to one-man bleed, the best option is to get speed bleeders.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motive power bleeder is the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I used this thing which was pretty good

BILITOOLS 3L Vacuum Brake Bleeder Kit, One Person Pneumatic Brake Fluid & Clutch Bleeding Extractor Tool with Adapters & 1L Refilling Bottle

The coating to prevent air going through the threads on the speed bleeder does seem neat though. Two of the wheels had no issues with air through the threads but the other two had tons of air getting in. I'm not worried about it staying in the lines since the vacuum pulled it right back out but it made it really hard to see what was going on with the fluid.