Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

quote:

They watched from a distance as an area larger than Los Angeles was devoured by a conflagration sparked by the federal government when two planned burns meant to reduce the threat of wildfire went awry due to a combination of human error and outdated modeling that didn't account for extreme weather. Hundreds of homes were destroyed and livelihoods lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Also. A band of people doing this seems feasible.

Entire nations worth of people doing this at once is going to denude everything in their path, even if they were strictly pacifists.

Excuse me? Malthusianism much???

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo the biggest issue frankly is not not being able to figure out how to grow poo poo, it would be fighting off all the people. if for whatever reason that wasn't a problem, and you could make it through the first year, i'd say you have a real chance of going for the long haul with the exception of obvious dangers like getting dirt in your cut and dying of tetanus or the plague or whatever

like i grew up on a working farm and i am not remotely going to say i know how to do everything i need but neither do i think it's this unknown, arcane endeavour

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
This thread is like "walk a hundred miles??" I would rather lay down and die.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

skooma512 posted:

Yeah if it comes to where I'm hitting The Road and just ghosting my job because it's completely moot, then there really isn't any way I can plan for a situation like that because climate change collapse is an event horizon. I can somewhat predict and mentally model how reality works before that point, and all of that breaks down once you hit the event horizon.

At that point it's all chance, minute to minute, day by day. Could have 5 different people lining up a shot on me on a given day and just deciding not to. I won't know, it's up to chance. If they pull the trigger, probably won't then either.
i liked the road too, but it's important to remember when envisioning the future that cormac mccarthy is a crazy person and his novels portray a terrifying dream world where every single person left on earth acts like cormac mccarthy

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Go OUTSIDE? That is where it is dirty! You get a bit of mud on your finger and that's it, you might as well have AIDS.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Go OUTSIDE? That is where it is dirty! You get a bit of mud on your finger and that's it, you might as well have AIDS.

agreed, plus most economic activity takes place indoors anyways

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Dirt feels good on the hands. except when you are digging near gooseberries. then you need to wear some gloves. little bastard plant spicy hairs.

devils club is also a native plant here and man. terrifying spikes. I ran into a bunch when I took a wrong turn on a hike and turned a 2 mile down into a 10 mile down as I criss crossed down steeps then had to walk back up a loving mountain road. It's amazing how quickly you become uncoordinated while tired and dehydrated.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Fozzy The Bear posted:

people who are panicky about wound hygiene are usually living in a filthy environment where every surface really is infested with pathogens of all kinds, such as every city on earth

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

pure copium to think you’re gonna stardew valley your way out in a degraded environment destroyed by pollution and extreme weather events while surrounded by billions of desperate dying people looool

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

biceps crimes posted:

pure copium to think you’re gonna stardew valley your way out in a degraded environment destroyed by pollution and extreme weather events while surrounded by billions of desperate dying people looool
it's going to be more like gameboy pokemon pinball

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ruthless desperation, constant threat of death, beautiful creatures that you must bring into your flock, you must

that game was awful

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i can hardly grow green onions in my apartment like heck can i grow actual food outdoors where things eat it and it bursts into flames seasonally

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’ve done some gardening. I’ve harvested some peppers and zucchini. I’m ready for the unprecedented destruction of the ecosphere unlike you goons

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

biceps crimes posted:

I’ve done some gardening. I’ve harvested some peppers and zucchini. I’m ready for the unprecedented destruction of the ecosphere unlike you goons

i've planted so much asperagus and its thriving. my piss is going to mark around my property to make it UNBEARABLE for anyone to come near.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i mean i already have raised beds in my backyard i don't see what thhe big deal is

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

so many cucumbers like wtf man

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shifty Nipples posted:

so many cucumbers like wtf man

I can't get a single loving gourd or squash this year. I started a fall butternut squash and it had like 5 sets of leaves on it and the whole thing disappeared overnight. Just vanished. Nothing left. Even had a nice little protector around it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how hard can it be to grow potato anyway, if that guy from dogma can grow them on the goddang mars i can surely do it here

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’m going to level my survival stat up. Setting up tarps and temporary shelter for backcountry camping and treating wounds will separate me from the chaff of billions of humans starving and dying of thirst

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I can't get a single loving gourd or squash this year. I started a fall butternut squash and it had like 5 sets of leaves on it and the whole thing disappeared overnight. Just vanished. Nothing left. Even had a nice little protector around it.

huh, weird

something has been munching on my mom's tomatoes, I think it's rats. I don't want to be rats but it's probably rats.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

blatman posted:

how hard can it be to grow potato anyway, if that guy from dogma can grow them on the goddang mars i can surely do it here

They're really easy to grow, highly suggest them for anyone nervous about growing stuff

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shifty Nipples posted:

huh, weird

something has been munching on my mom's tomatoes, I think it's rats. I don't want to be rats but it's probably rats.

I've seen rats, bunnies, and raccoons in my yard a ton so probably any of the above. or slugs. slugs are a solid contenteder too.

I accidentally grew some potatoes in my compost this summer. I had like 3 perfect little tiny potatoes before was turning my compost and found em.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

hahahahahahahahahaha

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The cool thing about the universe is that it ensures organic life sees itself out

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I've seen rats, bunnies, and raccoons in my yard a ton so probably any of the above. or slugs. slugs are a solid contenteder too.

I accidentally grew some potatoes in my compost this summer. I had like 3 perfect little tiny potatoes before was turning my compost and found em.

I wish there were bunnies around here but it's too far into the city, racoons with their dexterous little fingers are always a good suspect for nefarious shenanigans. I think I have seen surprise compost potatoes too.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

blatman posted:

i can hardly grow green onions in my apartment like heck can i grow actual food outdoors where things eat it and it bursts into flames seasonally

Green onions are the easiest thing ever dude. I've already harvested 20 lbs of garlic, 100+ lbs of tomatoes (40lbs went into jars as sauce), endless kale and chard. Just growing in 570 square feet too.

But I can just turn on the tap and get all the water I want. If I had to rely on what fell from the sky, idk if I could grow anything.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Green onions are the easiest thing ever dude. I've already harvested 20 lbs of garlic, 100+ lbs of tomatoes (40lbs went into jars as sauce), endless kale and chard. Just growing in 570 square feet too.

But I can just turn on the tap and get all the water I want. If I had to rely on what fell from the sky, idk if I could grow anything.

This is the real fuckin key. Unless you got massive water barrels/cisterns and containment and processing - none of us are gonna have a good time if poo poo starts to fail big time.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Shifty Nipples posted:

huh, weird

You didn't grow tomatoes you grew rats. Eat the rats

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

huh, weird

it's probably squirrels in most places in america

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dog Case posted:

You didn't grow tomatoes you grew rats. Eat the rats

Honestly I'd rather eat grass and tree bark.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

It's gonna be Kenshi, we'll either get enslaved or cannibalized. Maybe both!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Iron Crowned posted:

I already have the holy book of C-SPAM

:effort:

making my way to alcatraz so i can list off every possible permutation of trump for the benefit of future generations

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hubbert posted:

:effort:

making my way to alcatraz so i can list off every possible permutation of trump for the benefit of future generations

thats what, 5! ? it'll take you like an hour, what are you going to do with the rest of your apocalyptic life

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/gioiacobucci/status/1561518412462821377?s=20&t=mXT78xBS5QyXfIQ5xD9Bqg

lol

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

CODChimera posted:

this is all good stuff. If the collapse is slow enough then maybe some places will adapt

collapses are, implicitly, not slow

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i have been playing hte long dark and I will simply pick up coal off the ground to manufacture arrowheads while surviving on a steady diet of cattails until i can hunt and kill wolves, after which I will die of intestinal parasites

practical skills cultivated

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

While you losers were doomering, Dems were making things happen:

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

all smug over something that should've been done 30 years ago