Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I will never forget my night camping without pads because I thought dirt was plenty soft for me. I mean, it was, but it was also very cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I remember sleeping on a beach one night with a few friends and thinking it would be comfy. Just bring a sleeping bag. It was miserable. The sand was cold and hard/lumpy. My one ground brought a pad and we all teased him but he slept like a rock.

My first backpacking trip I tried a roll up thermarest foam pad and I woke up every day with sore hips, shoulders, knees, back etc.

I then tried a thermarest self inflating but it was only 1.5" thick and still wasn't very comfortable. I had u insulate to full pressure to not feel the ground and then it developed a leak and I was constantly waking up when it would deflate. It was mummy shaped and I would fall off the pad constantly. The material was slick and I slid off it constantly. I tried with it inside my bag but I toss and turn too much for that to work.

Then I went for a big agnes insulated q core air pad. Life changer. 4" thick and 5 r-value but it weighed 2lbs. I slept like a baby after that. It lasted about 8 years before it started leaking more than I could repair. I patched it a few times successfully but I think due to the age of the seams, they started deteriorating and it's just springing leaks everywhere.

I just bought a big agnes rapide SL to replace it and it's pretty comparable in specs (4.2 r value, 3.5" thick with 4.5" outer rails, but almost half the weight and quicker inflate/deflate valves. Hoping I get the same kind of lifespan out of it plus I'm shedding another pound.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 21, 2022

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Hey, I was pointed in this direction to talk about backpacking gear! I'm going on a trip to Zion in a few weeks, stoked to be going back and excited for my first backpacking trip. My friend and I already have permits for the overnight top down Narrows hike, and we'll see if we can get another camping permit for west rim or kolob canyons when we get closer to the date. I've put together most of my gear, I'm just missing the cooking pot. I've gone through my checklist and I think I've got everything I need, but I figured I'd ask here if I'm missing anything.

Let me get this part out of the way first. Yes, that's an Osprey UNLTD. Yes I know it's 5.5 pounds. Yes I know it was $700. I went trudging around today with a full pack and 13L of water to get a feel for it, and I'm feeling optimistic about it living up to my expectations and my criteria for choosing it. I'll be taking it out on a 6 or 7 mile hike next weekend in Shenandoah with a load out like what I'll be taking into the Narrows, so I'll have a better idea then if I've made a huge mistake.

I have 5 Sea to Summit waterproof bags of various capacity for organization and keeping everything dry in case the river gets deep in parts. I did the bottom up day hike with my wife in 2019, and we weren't able to make it all the way to Big Spring because of a section that was ~4 ft deep. We didn't have big enough dry bags for all our stuff so we turned around.

Hiking:
Black Diamond poles
Gonna rock the Keens and smartwool socks for this. That worked out really well when we went before.

Tent & Campsite:
Sea to Summit Alto TR1 and footprint
Helinox Zero
Black Diamond Astro headlamp
Restop2 poo poo bags
Sea to Summit 10L waterproof trash bag that you can put liners in for hauling poo poo out

Sleeping:
Big Agnes Rapide SL pad
Nemo Disco 30 sleeping bag
One of those compressible thermarest pillows (not a big fan, but it's what we have already from our car camping gear)
Tiny Pump X

Cooking:
Titanium pot
Titanium long handle spoon
MSR Pocketrocket Deluxe & stabilizing feet for the fuel can
A couple freeze dried meals, a couple clif bars, and a few packs of clif shot blocks
Wacaco Picopresso & Kingrinder K4 (I'm gonna have good coffee goddamnit)
16 g of whatever good quality espresso beans I can find in Vegas before the drive out
Hydroflask insulated cup

Safety & Backup Stuff:
2 person 4 day first aid kit
Platypus gravity filter
325 paracord
Topo map & compass
Extra tp

Water Options:
2 3L Osprey bladders
3L Water bag
6L Water bag
32 oz Hydroflask

Clothing:
Quick dry shirts and shorts
Long sleeve sun shirt
Extra smartwool socks
Fleece pants for the night
Down jacket if it gets too cold before calling it a night

Before food and water, my pack weighs in at 23 lbs. I was testing it out today with ~13 L of water, and I'm thinking I don't actually need that much. I'll probably only take ~10 L: a 3 L bladder, the 6 L bag, and the 32 oz bottle. Apparently the cyanotoxin levels are currently high (I expect they still will be in Sept) so I'm planning on bringing in what I need for the two days. It sounds like if I'm running low though I can fill up at Big Spring on day 2 with the filter.

So, question on the filter. I bought it years ago to keep with me in my day hiking bag in case of emergency. I haven't used it at all yet. Is there anything I should do to make sure it's in working order before heading out? Soak the filter? Just run a bag full of water through it?

Also, is there anything I'm missing or some other non-essential but huge QoL improving piece of gear I should bring with me? Since this is my first backpacking trip I don't really have a good idea of what is worth bringing or what is worth skipping, just kinda going off of checklist and youtube videos from more experienced folks.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You shouldn’t need to do anything with the water filter prior to use, but imo it’s a good idea to search out PDFs of the manuals for items like that and save them on your phone so you have easy access to them in the backcountry. I’d recommend testing it a time or two just so you know how it works and maybe do a filter integrity test on it just in case (filter then backflush some water, then blow into the clean tube through the filter - if you can’t blow through it you’re good, but if you see a bunch of bubbles in the dirty reservoir you need to replace it).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Valency posted:

Also, is there anything I'm missing or some other non-essential but huge QoL improving piece of gear I should bring with me?

portable washlet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Some flavor of moist towlette to wipe the grime off with at camp? We love to have makeup remover wipes or similar for a backcountry "shower"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Where are your knives/sharp things?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 22, 2022

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
A basic hygiene kit would be recommended. I really like these https://amzn.eu/d/gmDEd7k, work much better than 'pre' moistened towels and you can basically store them forever in any bag/car without worrying about them drying out. Unfortunately I did not quickly find a place where they are sold in the US, but I am sure someone else makes something similiar.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Valency posted:

Also, is there anything I'm missing...

Who will be taking care of the cat while you are gone? It seems very concerned.

I am pretty new at this too, but you seems well kitted.

All I would say is make sure have used every piece of equipment at least once, and carry 2 methods for lighting your stove. I pack a lighter and a knife/flint.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Stringent posted:

portable washlet

I want to try one of these for my trip in September. Any specific recommendations?

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The filter seems good, no air was getting through after backflushing it.
Good call on the washlet, I've got a little portable bidet thing from tushy that I'll pack along. I also picked up some of those compressed towels too, they look very useful.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Where are your knives/sharp things?
What kind of sharp things should I consider? I've got a basic pocket knife and/or leatherman that I can pack up, and the first aid kit has medical shears. I don't think I need anything more substantial than that? Campfires are prohibited, so I won't need to cut branches or anything.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Who will be taking care of the cat while you are gone? It seems very concerned.

I am pretty new at this too, but you seems well kitted.

All I would say is make sure have used every piece of equipment at least once, and carry 2 methods for lighting your stove. I pack a lighter and a knife/flint.
My wife and kids will be at home, so the kitty will be well tended :cabot:
I'll pick up a lighter in Vegas before heading out too. The stove has a piezo igniter, so I should be good between the two. And I'm just waiting for a dry afternoon here in VA to set up the tent in the back yard and check it out.

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I want to try one of these for my trip in September. Any specific recommendations?

My wife and I have a couple of these for travel:
https://hellotushy.com/products/tushy-travel-bidet

They're fine? Certainly better than not having a butthole washer.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Valency posted:

My wife and I have a couple of these for travel:
https://hellotushy.com/products/tushy-travel-bidet

They're fine? Certainly better than not having a butthole washer.

Probably quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the bottle toppers I've seen.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Re: The Narrows
This kind of thing gives me nightmares. I am a strong swimmer, but being swept downstream among churning water and debris, I'd be screwed. This search can only result in a body.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/family-of-missing-zion-hiker-shares-video-they-believe-shows-her-being-swept-down-river/ar-AA10TnT3

Pay attention to the flash flood warnings. According to other articles she IGNORED an active flash flood warning and went anyway. We were out there last year during a heat wave. No flash floods, but many hikers in distress due to lack of water.

Any outdoors death is usually caused be a series of errors/choices, and the changing of any one of those choices usually can prevent the disaster.

The Southwest has been under some near record monsoonal conditions and even if it is not raining near you, flooding is possible if it rains upstream.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Valency posted:

Gear for 1st backpacking trip

A few comments:

1.) If cyanotoxin levels are bad enough that you can't expect to treat water, I'd honestly just go either another place, another time, or faster, because hauling in a minimum of ~6-8 kg of water for 2 days is gonna suck poo poo. There should be some safe places to fill up along your route, though, so I would carefully research those and try to come up with something more reasonable. If you ever need to be carrying more than a few liters, I would just do the narrows as a day hike since then you only need to carry like 2 liters of water, and plan a different route for your first backpacking trip.

1b.) Seriously 23 lbs + 13L water + food is going to be like 54 lbs. That is not a great introduction to backpacking, imo. And the lower narrows can be awkward to walk on even without a pack.

2.) You're carrying like 2 lbs of coffee bullshit, there are (much) lighter alternatives if you really want coffee.

3.) You don't need an insulated cup for the conditions you are going to be in. You can take a cheap plastic cup (or just drink out of your pot) and that will save a bit of weight and volume.

4.) I think a synthetic jacket (not down) or some kind of warmer clothing in case things go not as planned would be a good idea. If you end up soaking wet, in the evening, with a turned ankle or something, your clothes might not be warm enough.

5.) Pre-packaged first aid kits tend to be really overbuilt. You may want to look at some lightweight backpacking DIY first aid kits online and just take what you need. Some basic medicines, bandages, athletic tape, blister pads, tweezers...maybe a SAM splint if you want to really go wild. It shouldn't weigh more than like 12 oz total.

6.) Adding up the listed weight for your tent, chair, pad, bag, coffee bullshit, cup, filter, backpack, stove, estimated pot weight...I get something like 15-17 lbs. So not clear how you are getting up to 23 lbs before water/food. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe there is a bunch of misc crap that weighs way too much, but I think you should be coming in much lighter.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 23, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They make some pretty fancy instant coffee now.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They make some pretty fancy instant coffee now.

as an outrageous coffee snob, i don't bring a coffee setup, i bring this stuff when I travel. one 2g stick per 6oz cup. it's got a bit of cinnamon sweetness, mild acidity, very low bitterness - it's genuinely lovely coffee. at home I have a decent espresso machine, and I've done the hand grinder and aeropress or v60 routine in past travels, but you can get reallll good instant nowadays.

also that's an insane amount of water to carry. I would definitely try to reach out to park staff and see what they advise since ten liters is a hell of a lot of water, and if you really need to carry that much I would make it an emergency to cut down weight any other place I could.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we brought these on our last backpacking trip and they were great: https://www.olympiacoffee.com/collections/coffee/products/steeped-big-truck-organic

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dick Ripple posted:

A basic hygiene kit would be recommended. I really like these https://amzn.eu/d/gmDEd7k, work much better than 'pre' moistened towels and you can basically store them forever in any bag/car without worrying about them drying out. Unfortunately I did not quickly find a place where they are sold in the US, but I am sure someone else makes something similiar.

Wysi Wypes! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NWVBPC

Yesss, those things are fantastic, they're a gamechanger for sure. I carry a pill bottle vial of them in my cook kit, they're stupidly useful and pretty durable as a wash cloth.

Valency posted:

Hey, I was pointed in this direction to talk about backpacking gear! I'm going on a trip to Zion in a few weeks, stoked to be going back and excited for my first backpacking trip. My friend and I already have permits for the overnight top down Narrows hike, and we'll see if we can get another camping permit for west rim or kolob canyons when we get closer to the date. I've put together most of my gear, I'm just missing the cooking pot. I've gone through my checklist and I think I've got everything I need, but I figured I'd ask here if I'm missing anything.

Let me get this part out of the way first. Yes, that's an Osprey UNLTD. Yes I know it's 5.5 pounds. Yes I know it was $700. I went trudging around today with a full pack and 13L of water to get a feel for it, and I'm feeling optimistic about it living up to my expectations and my criteria for choosing it. I'll be taking it out on a 6 or 7 mile hike next weekend in Shenandoah with a load out like what I'll be taking into the Narrows, so I'll have a better idea then if I've made a huge mistake.

I have 5 Sea to Summit waterproof bags of various capacity for organization and keeping everything dry in case the river gets deep in parts. I did the bottom up day hike with my wife in 2019, and we weren't able to make it all the way to Big Spring because of a section that was ~4 ft deep. We didn't have big enough dry bags for all our stuff so we turned around.

Hiking:
Black Diamond poles
Gonna rock the Keens and smartwool socks for this. That worked out really well when we went before.

Tent & Campsite:
Sea to Summit Alto TR1 and footprint
Helinox Zero
Black Diamond Astro headlamp
Restop2 poo poo bags
Sea to Summit 10L waterproof trash bag that you can put liners in for hauling poo poo out

Sleeping:
Big Agnes Rapide SL pad
Nemo Disco 30 sleeping bag
One of those compressible thermarest pillows (not a big fan, but it's what we have already from our car camping gear)
Tiny Pump X

Cooking:
Titanium pot
Titanium long handle spoon
MSR Pocketrocket Deluxe & stabilizing feet for the fuel can
A couple freeze dried meals, a couple clif bars, and a few packs of clif shot blocks
Wacaco Picopresso & Kingrinder K4 (I'm gonna have good coffee goddamnit)
16 g of whatever good quality espresso beans I can find in Vegas before the drive out
Hydroflask insulated cup

Safety & Backup Stuff:
2 person 4 day first aid kit
Platypus gravity filter
325 paracord
Topo map & compass
Extra tp

Water Options:
2 3L Osprey bladders
3L Water bag
6L Water bag
32 oz Hydroflask

Clothing:
Quick dry shirts and shorts
Long sleeve sun shirt
Extra smartwool socks
Fleece pants for the night
Down jacket if it gets too cold before calling it a night

Before food and water, my pack weighs in at 23 lbs. I was testing it out today with ~13 L of water, and I'm thinking I don't actually need that much. I'll probably only take ~10 L: a 3 L bladder, the 6 L bag, and the 32 oz bottle. Apparently the cyanotoxin levels are currently high (I expect they still will be in Sept) so I'm planning on bringing in what I need for the two days. It sounds like if I'm running low though I can fill up at Big Spring on day 2 with the filter.

So, question on the filter. I bought it years ago to keep with me in my day hiking bag in case of emergency. I haven't used it at all yet. Is there anything I should do to make sure it's in working order before heading out? Soak the filter? Just run a bag full of water through it?

Also, is there anything I'm missing or some other non-essential but huge QoL improving piece of gear I should bring with me? Since this is my first backpacking trip I don't really have a good idea of what is worth bringing or what is worth skipping, just kinda going off of checklist and youtube videos from more experienced folks.

With any hollow tube membrane filter, don't forget to pre-moisten it a few days before hand, eg run it under the sink for a few seconds. This opens up the pores and allows the filter to work. Otherwise you'll get out and think your filter has clogged. A few tabs of something like Aqua Mira is a great backup to keep on you as well, in case the filter fails or the source is sufficiently questionable. 10L is probably sufficient, I usually plan minimum 1 gallon a day, a tad bit more for a dry camp. It'll be heavy as poo poo, but it'll lighten up as you go. I like the sawyer squeeze bags for toting clean water if you want to shave some weight and make it easier to distribute weight through your pack.

A million things you can do for food, but Packit Gourmet has some of the best tasting meals, with the best portions, packaging, and least water rehydration demands. If you're doing Mountainhouse, the propack meals are much better portion sizes, but the cheese they use turns into cement on your spoon. Speaking of, I see you already got a long handled spoon - that's a pro choice buy

Also I see TP, but I don't see a poop trow. I highly recommend the Deuce of Spades. Ultralight, ultra strong, works even in rocky soil with the narrow end making a fine pick to get the hole started.

You already have dry bags, but Dyneema is a great waterproof material for dry bags as well. I have a big one for a pack liner, and smaller ones for my quilts. It's an upgrade option sort of thing.

Oh, speaking of bags! If it's a bear area you'll need a canister to store your food. Otherwise rodents are a huge issue, and I would recommend a Ratsack + Odorproof ziplock bag or an Ursack Minor chew proof bag + odorproof bags. I have both and prefer the Ursack Minor, and can confirm it works against hungry raccoons fighting over the contents. I bought a ratsack for my last trip out west after being told how voracious the mice were, and it worked great, no complaints there. I suspect the Ursack Minor would've done the trick.

It seems like your pack might be heavier than you anticipate. If you can, try loading it up with water and everything else, and go for a short hike and see how it feels after a mile or so. You may wish to trim some weight based on that.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 22, 2022

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also I see TP, but I don't see a poop trow. I highly recommend the Deuce of Spades. Ultralight, ultra strong, works even in rocky soil with the narrow end making a fine pick to get the hole started.

I've never backpacked in Zion, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are required to pack out human waste. I'm pretty sure you do for day hiking The Narrows, anyway.

Definitely something to research ahead of time. And if so, wag bags should maybe be on OP's list? I admit I've never done a trip that required them, so I can't offer much guidance there.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

There are a lot of perfectly reasonable coffee options for backpacking nowadays. Kuju Coffee has these individual pour overs made of paper so they’re easy to dispose of (no loving around trying to get grounds out of a “camping” pour over funnel), but when we don’t want to deal with packing those out I find one stick of Alpine Start and one of Trader Joe’s instant is drinkable. You’re already in the woods making GBS threads in a hole and eating dehydrated mac and cheese, it’s silly to get precious about your caffeine delivery system in the backcountry imo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Have you thought about going in the complete opposite direction and being as pretentious as possible while out in nature? We’ll then have I got the doodad for you!

https://briping.com/

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
nothing weird, you’re just briping

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
ABB: Always Be Briping.

Seriously, there are perfectly acceptable instant coffee options out there these days. Turns out instant stuff isn’t terrible as long as you don’t start out with terrible coffee.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

withak posted:

ABB: Always Be Briping.

Seriously, there are perfectly acceptable instant coffee options out there these days. Turns out instant stuff isn’t terrible as long as you don’t start out with terrible coffee.

Honestly, even Nescafe instant hits the spot. Where you're drinking > what you're drinking

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Ok, I'm ditching the coffee bullshit, that saves almost 3 pounds. With that gone I'm coming in at 19 pounds before food and water.

The Restop2s are the wag bags, gotta pack it all out in Zion, so I'm not going to bring my trowel.

As far as water goes, we can refill at Big Spring on the second day, and it looks like it's about 2 miles from our camp site. It also looks like the rangers recommend filtration and chemical treatment, so I'll pick up a thing of chlorine dioxide to bring with me. I could probably get away with carrying 6 L, but I was just thinking I'd be more comfortable mentally with having all the water I need for both days with me. I'll be doing a test hike this weekend with a full pack, and I'll give 10L a try and see if I can manage a day of that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah even mediocre instant coffee is godly on a cold mountain backcountry morning, but you better believe that once i get home that stuff stays in the cabinet until the next camping trip

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I don’t want to discourage anyone from carrying water if it makes them feel safe, but that extra 7 liters is 15 lbs on your back and you have a guaranteed source of fresh water at Big Springs. I think you’ll wind up being a lot more comfortable without the full 13 and will be just fine at 6, but eve if you split the difference it’ll be an easier hike.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Valency posted:

What kind of sharp things should I consider? I've got a basic pocket knife and/or leatherman that I can pack up, and the first aid kit has medical shears. I don't think I need anything more substantial than that? Campfires are prohibited, so I won't need to cut branches or anything.

That should do fine. Obviously you don't want to have to dig your first aid kit out and open it up just to get the shears every time you want to open your freeze dried meals or anything, because now your first aid kit is going to be sitting out on a rock or whatever until you get done with the shears until you can put them back. Which opens you up to the possibility of forgetting to re-pack the shears and/or first aid kit.

I have something heftier, but at the bare minimum, a pocket knife or leatherman will do.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 23, 2022

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I tried some instant coffee a few years ago and it tasted like poison.

I’ll have to try some of the local small batch artisanal free range instant coffee they’re selling these days but I’m highly skeptical it’s worth it to leave the aeropress and 100g or so of recently roasted, fresh ground coffee at home. There’s something about getting (almost) the exact same cup of coffee in the backcountry as you do at home that just feels amazing in the morning.

I think I’ve said this before, but if I were a participant on Alone, a v60, hand grinder, and 10lb bag of beans would be three of my allotted “personal items.”

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 23, 2022

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

alnilam posted:

Yeah even mediocre instant coffee is godly on a cold mountain backcountry morning, but you better believe that once i get home that stuff stays in the cabinet until the next camping trip

Same... nothing beats fresh ground beans. I have found that with a lot of the instant coffee, doubling up the number of packets you put in helps out significantly. Also, drat there's a lot of stuff out there that wasn't before... going to have to see if I can track down a variety pack to sample some new stuff.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Since COVID I hit I haven't shared my halfdome 3+ with anyone and have gotten a bit sick of hauling it around. Rather than buying a smaller tent, I opted for an Amok Draumr, since I can use the additional pad for tent camping as well, and because it's really cool.

Set it up twice now in town and my first impressions are very positive. Looking forward to sleeping in it, and especially excited about how much nicer storm days will be in a hammock over a tent

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

waffle enthusiast posted:

I tried some instant coffee a few years ago and it tasted like poison.

I’ll have to try some of the local small batch artisanal free range instant coffee they’re selling these days but I’m highly skeptical it’s worth it to leave the aeropress and 100g or so of recently roasted, fresh ground coffee at home. There’s something about getting (almost) the exact same cup of coffee in the backcountry as you do at home that just feels amazing in the morning.

I think I’ve said this before, but if I were a participant on Alone, a v60, hand grinder, and 10lb bag of beans would be three of my allotted “personal items.”

look at this waffle enthusiast. gonna try to bring a whole rear end volvo w/ them

an instant coffee tip i stumbled upon on tiktok a while ago but never tried was to first rehydrate the crystals with a little bit of room temperature water, then add hot water up to the appropriate volume, to avoid scorching something. or something.

Bloody fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 23, 2022

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Math You posted:

Since COVID I hit I haven't shared my halfdome 3+ with anyone and have gotten a bit sick of hauling it around. Rather than buying a smaller tent, I opted for an Amok Draumr, since I can use the additional pad for tent camping as well, and because it's really cool.

Set it up twice now in town and my first impressions are very positive. Looking forward to sleeping in it, and especially excited about how much nicer storm days will be in a hammock over a tent

Huh, that is interesting! I think I've seen those before but never really thought much about it. I'm just watching some viddyas on it now... What led you to go with this vs say a bridge hammock? It looks quite comfortable and seems like you have more flexibility in tree placement

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Freaquency posted:

I don’t want to discourage anyone from carrying water if it makes them feel safe, but that extra 7 liters is 15 lbs on your back and you have a guaranteed source of fresh water at Big Springs. I think you’ll wind up being a lot more comfortable without the full 13 and will be just fine at 6, but eve if you split the difference it’ll be an easier hike.

I'm not sure what water levels in the narrows will be like in september, but I cannot imagine any way that a novice backpacker walking through a river on slippery rocks with 10-25 lbs of water on top of an already 20 lbs pack, can possibly be described as "safe". Just dunking your head in the river and taking a big, untreated gulp whenever you are thirsty is objectively less likely to injure you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh yeah, that's the exact place where someone just died.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

OSU_Matthew posted:

Huh, that is interesting! I think I've seen those before but never really thought much about it. I'm just watching some viddyas on it now... What led you to go with this vs say a bridge hammock? It looks quite comfortable and seems like you have more flexibility in tree placement

Chair mode seems like it will be super nice for reading, soaking in nice views, etc. For the same reason it's pretty forgiving if you don't hang it just so. You can make small adjustments with the interior straps if you feel you are on an angle.
It also seems like it will be dryer under a tarp since you are quite flat and close to the ridge line. The fact that some of the bridge ones include rain flies seems to support that theory, and being able to look out is one of the better perks of hammock camping imo.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I didn't recognize the brand name at first, but yeah, those Amok Draumr hammocks are super rad. I have an extra, lovely knockoff of a ENO hammock that was shipped to me when I ordered what looked like a Amok Draumr knockoff from an IG add.

I got my money back, but still grumpy I have ANOTHER ENO hammock instead of something better.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive hung in an Amok.

They're like a bridge hammock to me. Dont mind them but prefer gathered end. Totally a personal preference for people, but they were too cot like for me.

Getting ready to get some special winter hiking gear. Ordered poles from SkiPulk for my UHMW siglin pulk.

Only other thing I'm eyeballing is a beaver fur hat. Hoping to get one at this years Winter Camping Symposium in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The nice thing about carrying 10-13L of water is that you can always dump it out when you realize that’s an absolutely bonkers amount to be carrying on a two day trip with water source(s).