Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

I think DLSS support is in the next release of MSFS coming in September?

It is, and also available on Beta branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol

Wikipedia posted:

In April 2016, the ICON A5 purchaser's agreement was made public and was noted by the aviation media as containing many controversial elements not usually found in aircraft purchase agreements. These included contractually required pilot training, maintenance, agreements not to sue, the requirement for factory airframe overhauls every 2,000 hours or ten years (whichever comes first), and a limit on the aircraft's life of 6,000 hours, or thirty years. Furthermore, each aircraft would be equipped with a camera and recorder to monitor pilot behavior, that is owned by the manufacturer but must be maintained by the owner. Owners would have to agree to be "supportive" of the company. Future owners were required to sign the same agreement or face penalties.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Maybe A5s keep having incidents because people who would agree to any of that poo poo suffer from an extreme lack of judgement.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Scruff McGruff posted:

My wife has mega rich family that live on Lake LBJ outside of Austin, TX and last time we were down there I thought "this seems like exactly the community that would buy an Icon". Turns out:
Small plane crashes into Lake LBJ; no injuries reported

quote:

It’s the kind of plane that lands on both water and land, and he forgot to retract the landing gear for a water landing.

:ughh:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

asked in the SHSC GPU thread, but I'll post again here. I'm thinking about upgrading GPU, and targeting a used RTX 3070 or maybe 3080 from a nice goonhome when the 4000 series goes on sale and peopel upgrade. Any reason to consider AMD GPUs instead for MSFS purposes? I believe MSFS doesn't support DLSS so there's not much of a gap between AMD and nvidia cards. Any thoughts from y'all? It will be driven by a R5 3600 for what it's worth.
One reason? The extra ram. And the fact that support for FSR 2.0 should be coming soonish. But if raytracing is something you dig, than nvidia will serve you better I guess. Also, I don't know much about sales going on rn but I heard nvidia ones are more aggressive so maybe it's better to scoop up a 3800 than a 6900, although I heard of some nasty sales on the 6900 XT too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

its called landing gear, it should work for all types of landings

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

froody guy posted:

One reason? The extra ram. And the fact that support for FSR 2.0 should be coming soonish. But if raytracing is something you dig, than nvidia will serve you better I guess. Also, I don't know much about sales going on rn but I heard nvidia ones are more aggressive so maybe it's better to scoop up a 3800 than a 6900, although I heard of some nasty sales on the 6900 XT too.

3080ti for 850 bux, pretty hard to justify AMD's equivalent.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...aps%2C76&sr=8-3

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

3080ti for 850 bux, pretty hard to justify AMD's equivalent.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...aps%2C76&sr=8-3

What you mean, that 6900 XT for 700 or 800 bucks don't qualify?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3080 Ti XC3 also isn't really amazing. It has the smallest cooler out of any 3080 Ti model, and it tends to be pretty noisy as a result. Though perhaps the jet engine noises coming from your computer will enhance the flight sim experience.

It's probably smarter to get one of the 3080 12GB models for $100 less. You lose barely any performance, and there are models available with an actual decent cooler.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

froody guy posted:

What you mean, that 6900 XT for 700 or 800 bucks don't qualify?

It benchmarks at about 30 percent less in power and doesn’t have DLSS.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you wanted to fly but thought the process of learning to do so was too arduous, and you already own jetskis, ORVs and sleds, the A5 is for you.

asked in the SHSC GPU thread, but I'll post again here. I'm thinking about upgrading GPU, and targeting a used RTX 3070 or maybe 3080 from a nice goonhome when the 4000 series goes on sale and peopel upgrade. Any reason to consider AMD GPUs instead for MSFS purposes? I believe MSFS doesn't support DLSS so there's not much of a gap between AMD and nvidia cards. Any thoughts from y'all? It will be driven by a R5 3600 for what it's worth.

FWIW, I know you said MSFS, but just be aware that there's some wonkiness with AMD cards in XP11 with Vulkan. Apparently has something to do with how it handles OpenGL and getting out of sync with the rest of the sim. Results in items like screens, clouds, etc flashing/strobing. Really annoying (muh immersion) but not gamebreaking.

I have a 6800xt and this was the most noticeable with Enhanced Skyscapes (clouds/sky would flash), PFD/MFD flashing on a bunch of TorqueSim and HotStart Products, and also the customizable registration on the HotStart Challenger flashing (both the in-cockpit reg panel and the custom #'s on the engines).

This will hopefully be fixed in XP12 however I'm seeing folks say this is an AMD driver issue and not a Laminar Research issue.

I will say it's gotten better and I can actually use Enhanced Skyscapes now. It was annoying enough that I was considering selling my 6800xt for a 3080, but with with XP12 around the corner (and lol $$$), I've held off.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 23, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
thanks for the heads up, that is useful to know.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its called landing gear, it should work for all types of landings

Um, those are for landing, not watering

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Then why do flight attendants keep reminding us what to do in case of a water landing, hmm? :colbert:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
That's only for beaches

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lobsterminator posted:

MSFS is the first game that can top Comanche in terrain graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1u3EoN-6V0

This still looks amazing, holy poo poo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
ignore

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
New planes, new photogrammetry cities, and more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-9iT8Dcgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQCeJ6lZVc

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lmao the spruce goose

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Come in with the milk

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"We'll take the Spruce Goose! Hop in."

"Sir, it's a flight simulator."

"I said.. HOP. IN."

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I’ve been debating a graphics card upgrade for a couple of months for MSFS. I have a 5700xt using a 1440p 144hz display and it works fine, but I have the upgrade itch. Can’t decide whether it makes sense to get a 3070ti, 3080 10gb, or 3080 12gb. Or sit tight for 4000 series or sit tight for even later in the future. The decision paralysis is real.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd say just wait for the 4000 series, 4080 should be out by the end of the year and you made it this long on your 5700xt. It might be hard to get, but nowhere near as bad as the 3000 series was.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
On that same fence too.

Sort of holding out to see the 4000 series and to let prices drop. I expect the 4000s will be another paper launch or the card won't be an upgrade over a 3000. I probably just have anxiety from when I told my dad to wait for the 3000s and leave the 2060 on the table, and then for 2 years you couldn't get either lol. He ended up with 3050.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Smithwick posted:

I’ve been debating a graphics card upgrade for a couple of months for MSFS. I have a 5700xt using a 1440p 144hz display and it works fine, but I have the upgrade itch. Can’t decide whether it makes sense to get a 3070ti, 3080 10gb, or 3080 12gb. Or sit tight for 4000 series or sit tight for even later in the future. The decision paralysis is real.

Sit tight. Your card is still good, and new cards are coming.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Keep an eye out for some good discounts on the current gen tho, Nvidia is pushing it's partners to clear out their inventory before they launch 4000s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wait for the 4000 series, if it's a pain in the rear end to get any cards aim for a high end 3000 at that point and you'll probably get a nice discount on a used one.

efb

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The graphics card market is getting a lot better. I will also say if you can't get a 4000 level card I have a rig I built in 2020 that is on the high side of mid tier but with a 3060ti and it runs Flight Simulator relatively speaking very very high settings across the board completely fine. So even if the 4000 level cards are tough to grab dropping down to a 3000 is fine.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I've got GPU shortage PTSD. Despite all the fanfare about the next-gen, when I saw now-gen below MSRP... couldn't not buy :shepspends:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah ditto. I haven't regretted it. I'd been running on an gen4 i5 and it was long past time. I did at some point buy a mid-range AMD card which let me at least play newer games, but performance was not hot. CPU-intensive stuff like Civ VI and Stellaris were completely unfun in late-game; immensely better now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just as a minor followup I'm currently running a Ryzen 7 3700 3.6 ghz cpu, 32GB of DDR4 3600 ram, and 3060ti and at 2560 x 1440 resolution I can run pretty much the majority of contemporary games at high to ultra settings with little to no hitching. Obviously not running HDR nor am I doing some of the hardest most advanced stuff but that doesn't bother me too much. Flight Sim runs fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

3080 ti made absolutely no difference in the game for me. it's capped by a 100% single thread on the cpu as soon as you step in an airliner cockpit. been doing that since the day it came out. GA planes run fine by comparison. flight sim never changes

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was able to get a fairly steady 55fps at 1080p on the "high end" settings once I swapped my 1080 for a 3080 on my 3700x/32G system. I've not flown anything bigger than a King Air, but it's been nice.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ethanol posted:

3080 ti made absolutely no difference in the game for me. it's capped by a 100% single thread on the cpu as soon as you step in an airliner cockpit. been doing that since the day it came out. GA planes run fine by comparison. flight sim never changes

Yeah that's been frustrating to see. Weird CPU utilization is a problem with this game.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Tech issues that maybe somebody here can help with. Took a bit of a break from MSFS but got back into it recently, except this time I'm having some major performance issues. I've been one of the lucky ones that in the past had no major issues until now.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5600x
32gb DDR4 3600 ram
GPU: 3080
Game on SSD
Playing at 1440p

Basically no matter what when I spawn into an airport my performance is as expected. 40-60fps sitting at airport. Take off, performance the same. About 15-30 minutes into the flight the performance slowly takes a nose dive until ultimately within 10 minutes I am getting single digit FPS. Has happened each time I have tried to fly so far (5 or so times). Per the dev info in game the GPU goes from no sweat (usually main thread limited like everybody) to this.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Which plane? Different plane every time or always the same one?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Honda Jet, Working Title CJ4, C172 G1000, 208B Grand Caravan

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Are you running any mods and if so do you get it running in safe mode?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Haven't tried safe mode. I do have mods installed.

Toolbar Pushback
Subtle Taxi Ribbon
JDs Checklists Ingame Toolbar mod
Easy airlines+aircrat matching with default live traffic
Global AI Ship Traffic MSFS V2
Enhanced Ground Vehicles
We Love VFR - Region 2
Yet another ground marks fix

Working Title addons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Definitely try without mods and if it runs fine, enable them one by one to find the culprit. If I had to guess I'd say the model matching and possibly the shipping traffic mods.